• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Some advice on the rig I just picked up

djblingbling1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2004
Oregon
Hi,

I just picked up a Savage Axis 30-06 (yeah I know...) for $140. I know there are better guns out there, but for the price I picked it up and figured it would be a cheap project.

I have a harris bipod and a scope off a rem700 laying around I can throw on.

I know there is not a lot you can do to these guns, but do you all have any advice for me on getting into shooting long range with this platform?

From what I gather the best thing I can do is work the trigger, either a timmney or take a coil off the spring and polish any rubbing points.

I figure a bit of trigger work and maybe some nice handloads and I can see some decent accuracy out of this.

Any advice?

Sounds like you answered your own questions. Do the due diligence and let us know how it shoots.
Congrats on the new project.

You're nailed a great starting platform for your goal. Good smooth trigger and rear bag will help to stabilize things. Then practice, practice and more practice should get you to 0.5 MOA easily. Good Luck

Thanks for the words so far guys! Will have to look into some other bolt handles as this one is a bit too flat for what I am used to!

Just a little update:

Picked up a Vortex 4-12x40 for under $200 locally, with some Warne rings to swap out for the generic scope that was on the gun. I threw a 1907 sling on there, and have some voodoo or other cheap brand rear sandbag I can use.

I bought 3 different grain bullets.....I plan on getting into reloading this year but for now im going to see what works best with factory loads.

As sib1948 advised, practice, practice, practice. Frequency over duration. Remember to practice with a purpose. Try to find an experienced shooter near you and ask whether they might be willing to help you get started and begin work on the basics and proper mechanics. When you've saved money for a few months...find a good basic long range marksmanship class and learn as much as you can during the class. Afterwards, disciplined practice using proper form you were taught in said course.

Then, start buying reloading equipment over time as your finances allow. Learn what your firearm prefers to eat, and feed it exactly that. Hopefully the rifle you bought will be adequate enough to allow effective range sessions during the first few months while you are learning basic precision marksmanship.

After a period of time you will begin looking at more expensive equipment (assuming you read and learn as much as possible about precision shooting and the requisite tools commonly used in this pursuit). During your first year I would advise resisting the urge to purchase uber expensive precision rifles and optics. While very nice to own, money is better spent on mastering the fundamentals. No amount of money spent on a precision rig will compensate for failure to learn and employ the fundamental skills necessary for precision shooting. Of course, there are some basic equipment requirements depending on your goals. For the time being, use the equipment you have at your disposal...and best of luck.