• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Sound deadening setup made from 55gal drums.

EotS

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2020
South
I live outside the city limits, and shoot a bit. But, I do have neighbors about a half mile away. Kids that play outside, and such. Not wanting to be more of a dick than I have to be, I built this. 22 and pistols don't carry, but big centerfire can be unnerving to people outside. I have a gokd relationship with my neighbors, they all know I shoot quite a bit, but this still cuts the big noise down quite a bit. I built all of this for free. Buddy gave me the drums which have been cleaned per Osha regs. Carpet came from a rent house that was being removed. Basically that's it, besides screws and such. I cut a "notch" out of one end of each barrel, leaving a good deal of the ends to act as ballfles. I then lined the inside of each with 2 layers of carpet. Stacked the drums, and screwed them together with 2in decking screws. At the joints where the drums came together, I wrapped a few layers of carpet, snd wrapped over that with Duct tape. It works VERY well. You can stand 5ft away from someone firing a centerfire through it, and not need hearing protection. A ton of sound is contained, and the massive BOOM is eliminated. Plan is to set it on saw horses elevated, and in front of my shooting bench. My brother has a Db meter, and I'm going to do some hard # tests with various firearms when he brings it. I'll make a video as well..
61471518797916055529.jpg
87801894855684490422.jpg
02379172847000461586.jpg

Reactions: Halfnutz
One of the local gun stores used the same concept but used about 15 old car tires instead of the barrels you used. Due to the weight it was a permanent fixture when finished. He was able to do centerfire tests out back with no complaints from the neighbors 200 ft away.

Well done.

Thank you,
MrSMith

Good idea, subscribing for the video.

Does that not reflect a ton of noise back to the shooter?
No, the end you shoot into and the exit are cut the same.
So, there's a baffle to strap whatever "blowback" even though there is none.

Reactions: Brisket
But will the ATF determine this to be a suppressor?:unsure:

Firearms Verification
Gun Control Act Definitions

Silencer

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(24)

The term “Firearm Silencer” or “Firearm Muffler” means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

🤷‍♂️ probably not.....

Firearms Verification

Silencer

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(24)

The term “Firearm Silencer” or “Firearm Muffler” means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

🤷‍♂️ probably not.....
It's about 10ft long,,
Lol, yeah it's portable if you bring a trailer to haul it on.

Lol jail and reeducation for you... they'll bring the mountain to argue it's very portable and dangerous.

Lol jail and reeducation for you... they'll bring the mountain to argue it's very portable and dangerous.
I researched it before I built it.
It does not attach to the firearm and isn't readily portible.
Many gun ranges use similar setups.
A guy on Arfcom actually wrote the Batf to get clarification, and they said it was not an issue.

Firearms Verification

Silencer

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(24)

🤷‍♂️ probably not.....
"diminishing the report of a portable firearm"

Seriously, who writes these laws? WTF other kind of firearm is there?

Does that mean we found a loophole for all our Howitzers and Parrott guns?
Think about that one for a sec... ten pounds of silenced grapeshot. 😆 😆

For real, though, that's a contraption listed in the NRA range source book as a valid sound mitigation technique for ranges.

"diminishing the report of a portable firearm"

Seriously, who writes these laws? WTF other kind of firearm is there?

Does that mean we found a loophole for all our Howitzers and Parrott guns?
Think about that one for a sec... ten pounds of silenced grapeshot. 😆 😆

For real, though, that's a contraption listed in the NRA range source book as a valid sound mitigation technique for ranges.

Look into kiln guns. Giant, mounted shotguns used in the concrete industry. That carve out is for them.

One of the local gun stores used the same concept but used about 15 old car tires instead of the barrels you used. Due to the weight it was a permanent fixture when finished. He was able to do centerfire tests out back with no complaints from the neighbors 200 ft away.

Well done.

Thank you,
MrSMith

A very good friend of mine has been using a tire-system like that for a couple of decades now. We get a bit of noise at the covered shooting position but zero complaints from the neighbors.

Keith