• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

SPS-T AAC:SD vs 700 5R in 308

Kalman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas, TX
Which would be the better platform to build off of, a SPS-T AAC:SD or a 700 5R both in 308 Win. Small group paper shooting is the goal. Ignoring the price difference between the two, if I drop the SPS-T AAC:SD into a 5R take off to negate the stock difference, would you expect the 5R and the AAC:SD to shoot roughly the same, or will a random 5R shoot a little better?

Re: SPS-T AAC:SD vs 700 5R in 308

5r are hit and miss. Lately I've seen much better results with the SPSs. I like that they are already threaded. I go with the SPS...And don't bother with a 5r stock. IMHO it sucks. Go with a McMillan HTG and dont look back.

Ok. I bought the SPS-T AAC:SD on kind of a whim and I'm trying to fiture out if it was a mistake or if I should start building on it.

Still in the stock Hogue, I'm getting it to shoot ~.75MOA 5 shot groups with 175 FGMM. I'm just double guessing a lot of things lately. I really need to find someone local to show me if it's me or the gun that needs improvement.

Well the threaded barrel isn't a huge deal to me tbh. It's something that's easily added later.

I would guess that they're equal in accuracy potential. I've had a 5R and an XCR Tactical, and they shot the same, around .5 MOA with handloads. Slight accuracy advantage to the convententionally rifled XCR, but it could have been the stock fit for me. I agree with the above statement that the 5R stock sucks. It just didn't fit me well, the wide grip was grapefruit-esque. The 5R was much easier to clean. Haven't shot an SPS, but having handled them I'm completely underwhelmed by that stock as well.

If it were me and I was planning on running a can and replacing the stock I would go with that threaded 5R that pyplynr linked to. Do some shopping on stocks, find one that fits you well. I'm waiting to see the Eberlestock chassis before I do anything else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok. I bought the SPS-T AAC:SD on kind of a whim and I'm trying to fiture out if it was a mistake or if I should start building on it.

Still in the stock Hogue, I'm getting it to shoot ~.75MOA 5 shot groups with 175 FGMM. I'm just double guessing a lot of things lately. <span style="color: #990000"> I really need to find someone local to show me if it's me or the gun that needs improvement</span>. </div></div>
Fill out your profile and more people will be able to reach out to help you.
SScott

I actually have almost the same question in mind:

AAD-SD or 700P?

My only real concern is ideal twist though...

I have the SPS tactical 308, 20'' barrel, non threaded. I love mine. Shot yesterday just plinking around a little out to 300 yards and got consistant 1.5-2 moa groups with walmart ammo and lying on my stomach with a crappy bipod.

I get much better groups with AMAX reloads, but for plinking, I was thrilled yesterday.

I am just getting in to LR shooting so I thought of it as a success, and I am sure the gun could do better with more trigger time and more reloads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok. I bought the SPS-T AAC:SD on kind of a whim and I'm trying to fiture out if it was a mistake or if I should start building on it.

Still in the stock Hogue, I'm getting it to shoot ~.75MOA 5 shot groups with 175 FGMM. I'm just double guessing a lot of things lately. <span style="color: #990000"> I really need to find someone local to show me if it's me or the gun that needs improvement</span>. </div></div>
Fill out your profile and more people will be able to reach out to help you.
SScott </div></div>
That's probably a good point.

Done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kalashnikev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually have almost the same question in mind:

AAD-SD or 700P?

My only real concern is ideal twist though... </div></div>

I'm in the same place. Remington has several variations of what could be considered a sniper rifle.
700p with a 26" barrel and a 1:12 twist

700 LTR which has a 20" barrel, fluted, and a 1:12 twist

700 SPS tactical AAC-SD which is 1:10 and is threaded but the stock is somewhat undiserable and no fluted barrel

And then a SPS tact 1:12 twist with the "normal" hard plastic nothing fansy stock

After reading on these the only difference I have found is that the 700 LTR is fluted and the AAC-SD is threaded.

I guess it depeneds on what distance you are wanting to shoot but all the differences in the rifles aside, almost everyone says they are no sub moa at 500yds.

Remington didn't discontinue the AAC SD, did they?

Or is everyone just sold out right now?

I've been looking for one for a week or two, and every place I've called seems to be completely sold out. (except of course the couple places charging an arm and a leg for one)

I paid about $650 for mine after running into the same issue; the place I bought mine from is also now sold out.

I paid 630+8.25% sales tax for mine, found it at a gun show of all places. They're pretty popular items it seems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keyser Söze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington didn't discontinue the AAC SD, did they?

Or is everyone just sold out right now?

I've been looking for one for a week or two, and every place I've called seems to be completely sold out. (except of course the couple places charging an arm and a leg for one) </div></div>

Get on the wish list at Bud's and jump on it when you get the email saying it is in stock. $595 shipped.

AAC_SD at Buds

I would check gunbroker.com

I was also at H&H in Oklahoma City yesterday and they had one. I believe it was $629.99 The best part about buying out of state and having it shipped to your FFL, no sales tax.