• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spuhr is over rated. Prove me wrong

I'm kind of wondering how much of the problem is also user error.

The instructions that come with the Spuhr mounts don't seem to be the best. I had to learn a few things by emailing and asking them.

One thing they recommend is using wet torque on the ring halves - either with loctite or the factory wax that is put on the screws.

a vast amount if things people have fail come from improper use or lack of rudamentary understanding of mechanical fasteners and torque. i would surmise most of the spuhr "failures" i read about, which isnt much, comes from improper torque and no lube. its very easy in the fastener world to get false torque and bind especially on aluminum when fasteners are dry.

this also applies to adding a lubricant to the rail/clamp interface which someone mentioned above. just because spuhr is the only one recommending it sure as hell doesnt mean no other mfg shouldn't. there has been a ton of testing that went on behind the scenes a few years ago and it was proven beyond a shadow of doubt having a lubricant between the rail and clamp provided a perfect return to zero from impact that dry mounts typically did not. this was tested on basically every mount and ring combo out there.

so lube your shit and torque it properly. you wont need any rosin unless you have one of those baby shit cerakoted shift and benders...then you might want some.

^^^ not to drail the thread

I wonder how many coated/painted scopes slip compared to factory coating

a vast amount if things people have fail come from improper use or lack of rudamentary understanding of mechanical fasteners and torque. i would surmise most of the spuhr "failures" i read about, which isnt much, comes from improper torque and no lube. its very easy in the fastener world to get false torque and bind especially on aluminum when fasteners are dry.

this also applies to adding a lubricant to the rail/clamp interface which someone mentioned above. just because spuhr is the only one recommending it sure as hell doesnt mean no other mfg shouldn't. there has been a ton of testing that went on behind the scenes a few years ago and it was proven beyond a shadow of doubt having a lubricant between the rail and clamp provided a perfect return to zero from impact that dry mounts typically did not. this was tested on basically every mount and ring combo out there.

so lube your shit and torque it properly. you wont need any rosin unless you have one of those baby shit cerakoted shift and benders...then you might want some.

While I don't necessarily disagree with anything being said here, as an engineer, my philosophy is that any design that is reliant on end user input for reliability and functionality, is not a properly engineered design. The amount of failures with Spuhr's caused by the end user demonstrates that it's not a simple plug and play design.

One of the big reasons why I'm a huge fan of ARC rings is because of how elegant the design is. It's really hard for the end user to fuck up the installation of that product - which is exactly what a properly engineered product should be.

Still interesting. I’d like to know the percentage of people that have had this issue following the proper steps vs those that haven’t had any issues. With that said, mine isn’t on a .338 Lapua lol!
My spuhr is on a .338 Lapua, Sako TRG-42 .338 Lapua with a PMII. No slips or issues and no rosin.

I do have a Serbu BFG-50 that it using NF rings and a NXS. I had to rosin those rings! But, that is expected for that rifle.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
I dont need some of the features the Spuhr offers so I went with the MPA one piece mount.

Got it in the mail today from Euro optic and I checked the box and it doesn't say "Over Rated" its says " Ideal Scope Mount System"
20201030_164219.jpg

While I don't necessarily disagree with anything being said here, as an engineer, my philosophy is that any design that is reliant on end user input for reliability and functionality, is not a properly engineered design. The amount of failures with Spuhr's caused by the end user demonstrates that it's not a simple plug and play design.

One of the big reasons why I'm a huge fan of ARC rings is because of how elegant the design is. It's really hard for the end user to fuck up the installation of that product - which is exactly what a properly engineered product should be.

I'm also an engineer, and while I also share your philosophy regarding proper product design, I also hardly think that a requirement to apply proper torque sequence and values constitutes an excessive expectation of the end user.

...a requirement to apply proper torque sequence...

Proper form means you never torque any bolt between 80% and 100% of its designated value. You should always torque to <=80% (stop) and then go one motion from <=80 to 100%.

So with that 16x bolt spuhr mount you really need to do x32 calibrated adjustments to do it "properly" 😂😂

It took some doing but my torque wrench starts at 100% so that Spuhr was no match for it and I can tell you that sucker ain't coming lose anytime soon.
d2e8e286e91c8104f56857c5bdafd66f.jpg

Ok so you're an engineer ( kind of like saying you are a Vegan ).
I ran a crane for 30 years, I surely wouldn't call Krupp or Manitowoc a poorly engineered product because the typical person couldn't operate it.

Ok so you're an engineer ( kind of like saying you are a Vegan ).
I ran a crane for 30 years, I surely wouldn't call Krupp or Manitowoc a poorly engineered product because the typical person couldn't operate it.

Take my comment with a grain of salt.

I'm actually not trying to say Spuhr is a poor product, but I think there's certainly an opportunity to make it more "idiot proof". If all of the failures are in fact due to user error, then that's a vindication of what I'm saying.

It's a scope mount, not a crane. You shouldn't need any special training to successfully mount a scope. Engineers have a tendency to "over engineer" things, to the point that they are not user friendly. There's elegance in simplicity.

Proper form means you never torque any bolt between 80% and 100% of its designated value. You should always torque to <=80% (stop) and then go one motion from <=80 to 100%.

So with that 16x bolt spuhr mount you really need to do x32 calibrated adjustments to do it "properly" 😂😂

Two-pass tightening is usually done with 50% max on the first pass and 100% on the second. Three passes can be done on more complex joints - 33/66/100%, 30/60/100%, or 50/75/100%, depending upon your preferred reference source. Or, for those that frequent the optics subforum around here - >200% spec on the first pass, loosen to <50% on the second, then bitch that your new scope's parallax adjustment doesn't work properly.

It's a scope mount, not a crane. You shouldn't need any special training to successfully mount a scope. Engineers have a tendency to "over engineer" things, to the point that they are not user friendly. There's elegance in simplicity.

That's the whole point of a Sphur being over engineered,.
They do come with instructions.
Long range shooting can be a complicated endeavor.
Look if I can figure them out I'm pretty sure 99% of other people can.
Take a look at how many threads there are on stripped screws alone, that should tell you something right there.

Wade, I did. I don't know if it made a difference or not but I had some and figured it can't hurt, so I gave them both a light dusting before mounting. Neither one have ever budged, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. I DID follow every conceivable best-practice in torquing and sequencing as well.

Reactions: wade2big
Also, I will buy another Spuhr for my next rifle, and will use the rosin again. I just have a bottle from Academy Sports, in a shaker bottle like baby powder. I would bet that it isn't necessary, but I wasn't into proving anything - I had it so I just used it.

Id love for Geiselle to make the fucking 3 bolt Vanguard setup again.

Seems they made them in 2018 and then nothing.

I picked up a Spuhr hunting mount and like it a lot. Have to admit that reading the manual where it stated that the torque values are for lubricated threads made me smile, and think: “These guys have their shit together.”

As soon as you “idiot proof” something, a new improved version of idiots are created. This is not to be debated lol.

That's the whole point of a Sphur being over engineered,.
They do come with instructions.
Long range shooting can be a complicated endeavor.
Look if I can figure them out I'm pretty sure 99% of other people can.
Take a look at how many threads there are on stripped screws alone, that should tell you something right there.

Not to mention that there are threads here about having dramas with ARC rings as well.
Honestly you can not take anything for granted with people on the internet.

[.

Not to mention that there are threads here about having dramas with ARC rings as well.
Honestly you can not take anything for granted with people on the internet.

Really?

No product is immune to issues, though I can't say I've seen any for ARC. The frequency must be pretty low, though I have no doubt the odd person has had something that's needed to be remedied.

On the other hand, there's plenty of threads on Spuhr issues, but perhaps part of that is due to how many Spuhrs are out in the wild.

Last edited:
What issues with ARC Rings?

people with dramas, not issues with ARC rings IMO. From memory there was a TT parallax issue and something else to do with how someone thought 65 inch pounds was too much torque because other rings use less than half that.

So I’m not saying anything at all is bad about ARC rings, only people will have issues with anything.

Also had a first gen spuhr with cracks In both rings. It was sorted quickly with no drama.

Reactions: tacops1
people with dramas, not issues with ARC rings IMO. From memory there was a TT parallax issue and something else to do with how someone thought 65 inch pounds was too much torque because other rings use less than half that.

So I’m not saying anything at all is bad about ARC rings, only people will have issues with anything.

Also had a first gen spuhr with cracks In both rings. It was sorted quickly with no drama.

oh ok

ARC rings use 55 inch pounds top and bottom screw. It’s only 1 screw top and 1 screw bottom, their design /screw size /amount of screws/ allows for a higher inch pound rating. That’s what I like about them. Pretty cool honestly works well, don’t believe the way it’s designed and that rating will damage any optic honestly

Reactions: Eostech
Can't prove you wrong. I love mine. If you don't I respect that. There are lots of options by reputable makers out there. I love my Vortex Precision QD mount as well and have some ARC M-10 rings I've never used but they impress the shit out of me! You do you and live your best life! :)

I have 4 Spuhr mounts. I did have a problem with one of the earlier versions. My caps were cracking. So I messaged Hakan personally on Facebook messenger and between him and Mile High Shooting I was very well taken care of. The older models have obviously been superseded by a better version.

A few years later I bought a Barrett M99 bolt action in 50BMG. I noticed Barrett has a set of rings called zero gap.

I figured if anyone has recoil and abuse figured out it would be Barrett.

No idea.
I'm not stupid enough to pay $300+ for a simple scope mount that can be bought for $100-150 most anywhere and work every bit as well, if not better.

Reactions: Doc68
I'd be a bit of hipster and say I got one way before most people even knew what they were. Back in the day, I had one on my TRG22 with the dovetail mount. Looked pretty really good on the rifle, gave it the perfect height. But the screws at the time, were complete dog shit. I torqued them to the correct torque and was moving scopes around, stripped a couple. Emailed Spuhr and they wanted 20+ for each of the screws plus shipping. Found them on McMasterCarr for less than 50 cents each and went on my way. Now I hear they send a couple just in case they strip out. I don't know, haven't bought any other ones since every Tom Dick and Harry is running them now. I tend to stick with more of the simple setup since I don't attach anything else to the scope or the rings of the scope. The NF Unimounts and old ass AI Mounts seems to serve me well.

Now they are a part of CZ from what I hear.

Reactions: stefan73
I have had 5 SPUHR one piece mounts in the past 6-7 years I did have the side clamp crack on one and had two of the built in bubble levels fail and I tighten all screws to specified torque values I did have to use rosin on a 338LM, but other than that they have been great.

Are they worth the money? Depends on exactly what you want. I do think there are plenty of other mounts that will hold a scope just as good or better than a SPUHR, but I do not think there is a sexier better looking mount that will.

Last edited:
nope it's your money buy what ever you want to buy there are hundreds of names of other stuff you can get .