• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Squeeking Remington 700 bolt???

Bob7608

Private
Minuteman
May 1, 2012
TX
Bolt has developed a squeek on the downstroke/ closing of the bolt it seems like it is coming from the front part of the receiver, i'd hate to take it to the gunsmith and shell out cash if I can fix it here at the house, suggestions anyone? I saw the previous topic on the hide about this issue, field stripped the bolt and lubed everything, it didn't work.

Re: Squeeking Remington 700 bolt???

have you tried putting a dab of grease or oil on the lugs and cycling the bolt afew times?

Yup tried that, still squeeking =(

Did you do anything prior to this starting or did it just start on its own. New scope rail, new firing pin or remove it from the stock and then reassembly screwing everything tight???

started on its own, havne't fired a round out of it yet i've dry fired it but i've never taken it apart.

yup, still making the noise just not as bad.

Drop the floorplate and try

If still there, loosen the action screws and try again.

Back off the front action screw a couple turns. Maybe the front screw is just long enough to make contact with the bolt lug.

Or it could be the scope base mounting screws. I had something like that happen after cleaning...a piece of patch thread got stuck in the bolt lug recesses and took up enough space to cam the lugs tight. Had to get a good light and a dental pick and mirror to find it.

My deer rifle was doing the same thing. I found out it was the firing pin spring rubbing the inside of the bolt body. A little grease fixed it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or it could be the scope base mounting screws. </div></div>

I've had problems with front scope base screws which were too long. You didn't mention if you have a scope base on the rifle but I would pull the base off and see if that resolves the problem. It is a simple fix to replace the screws with slightly shorter screws from Brownells. Make sure you get the proper torque on the screws on the install.