• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

The McFeely's anti-vibration knobs are a definite must have for Thumlers Model "B" owners.

No washers required, just spin them down tight and tumble.

Terry

I've been trying different soap products over the past year and this is the best by far:

RackEmPunk

Mr. Clean® Antibacterial All-Purpose Cleaner

Lemon scented, of course. One cap-full per load >>>Excellent.

Does anybody know who currently has the high speed model B in stock? I found one on Amazon for $ 177.79, but 1 guy is posting that it is not high speed.

Of course I want the best price also.

TIA for the replies folks.

Well if anyone is still hesitant on switching over like I was, just make the switch already. After chatting with Cody from STM I ordered their tumbling set and got started. Ran my first batch of 100 pieces of 6.5 Creedmoor brass tonight, and these are the results:

Before:
eUZuu.jpg

After:
s2HuN.jpg

Saw the wife had got some of the Oxi Clean Dish Washing Booster and figured I would give it a try. Was watching TV the other night and saw a commercial for it where they dipped a copper bottom pan into it and it change almost immediately. So, I decided to give it a try with the SS media.

Filled the drum with warm water, media and brass. Then I dumped a 1/2tsp of the blue liquid in and was amazed to see the brass almost instantly change to a brighter color.

I tumbled 200 45ACP's for 45 minutes and was extremely happy with the results. For those of you that cannot buy Lemishine you may have this available to you. If so I rate it equal to the lemishine, great produt at about the same price point as the Lemishine powder and its in the same place as Lemishine in your local Wal-Mart's.

oxyclean1.jpg

oxyclean2.jpg

oxyclean3.jpg

Terry

New poll results as of 5/13/2012 @ 1:00pm EST.

5-13-12poll.jpg

There are a few converts out there!! LOL.

Terry

Those of you guys that anneal and use SS media in conjunction with Lemishine know that it makes seeing the color change hard.
Sometimes you cannot see color change at all when annealing after having tumbled your brass in Lemishine.

Well, I am hoping this is not a fluke. I just tumbled (50) 7.5x55's for 2 hours using the OxiClean Boost along with Palmolive dish soap for 2 hours. I rinsed them and dried them on a beach towel and immediately annealed them. To my suprise I could see the color change on every case and it left that great blueish annealed tint to the cases. This may be the ticket for those guys annealing and using the SS Media.

It would be nice to see if anyone else gets the same results as i just did. I have another 50 - 308's in the tumbler now.

annealedoxiclean.jpg

I really like this Oxiclean Boost in Leiu of the Lemishine so far.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Those of you guys that anneal and use SS media in conjunction with Lemishine know that it makes seeing the color change hard.</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Sometimes you cannot see color change at all when annealing after having tumbled you brass in Lemishine.</span>

Well, I am hoping this is not a fluke. I just tumbled (50) 7.5x55's for 2 hours using the OxiClean Boost along with Palmolive dish soap for 2 hours. I rinsed them and dried them on a beach towel and immediately annealed them. To my suprise I could see the color change on every case and it left that great blueish annealed tint to the cases. This may be the ticket for those guys annealing and using the SS Media.

It would be nice to see if anyone else gets the same results as i just did. I have another 50 - 308's in the tumbler now.

annealedoxiclean.jpg

I really like this Oxiclean Boost in Leiu of the Lemishine so far.

Terry </div></div>

I use LemiShine - I have no issues.

0423122133a.jpg

Interesting, when I use lemishine and anneal the color change is not there. Many others have the same issue. What brand of brass are you using?

Tumbler arrived today.

Lemi shine bought yesterday.

Contacted Mark today.

McFeely knobs ordered tonight.

The plan is coming together.

Thanks to everybody.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting, when I use lemishine and anneal the color change is not there. Many others have the same issue. What brand of brass are you using? </div></div>

LC, Lapua, Winchester, Remington...

Corn Cob? Walnut Shell? Haven't used any for several years now.

Cleaner brass with more than enough shine. Haven't used a primer pocket cleaner since I switched.

Wish I'd found it 40 years ago.

Someone had to bring this thread back up!

For any Canadian's out there this will come out useful.
I was in Homehardware a couple day's ago just browsing and killing time when I came across something called Lime Fresh.
It looked the same as Lemmishine,and the label had roughly the same result's and use's so I bought one to test.
It work's the same at roughly the same price.

DSCF2047.jpg

I recently picked up a STM kit.... Needless to say I will never use anything else. Easy to use and cleans my brass like its brand new. I had an ultrasonic cleaner and I'm glad it's gone now. If your serious about reloading and want shinny brass... Corey at STM will hook you up (fast shipping/great communication).

Received the STM kit last Tuesday, and it hasn't stopped running except for load changes. Needless to say I have several boxes of very shiny brass now, clean inside and out. Very happy I didn't try and save a buck by going with an inferior system.

IMAG0127.jpg
IMAG0129.jpg
IMAG0130.jpg

Some once fired '72 Lake City Match brass before and after tumbling for 4 hours using stainless media

I tumbled some brass yesterday for the first time in many months (6+). My media had been setting in the tumbler along with some water throughout this time. The brass that came out was dull and tarnished, which of course isn't usually the case. Does the media itself need cleaning? If so, what's the best way?

I found a interesting way to get most of the nasty water etc... out of my media when I am going to let it sit for some time. I did have the not so bright brass happen once but then I switch to this method and have never had it happen again and I am not sure they were even related.

I use one of these media separators
731116.jpg

I have a old pillow case that I side this into. Then I take my bucket I use for shifting the media (no rotating media separator I use the one pictured along with running water to get the job done). I then take my bucket of media and dump it into the separator/pillow case, run some water through it, let it sit a min to drain, slide the case with media in it off the separator, dump it back into the tumbler drum, leave the lid off the tumbler drum and call it a day.

Following up on my post about tarnished brass, after a few sessions of tumbling for many hours, I've got 150pc of once-fired Lapua that looks more like Brown Bear. Cases cleaned a few weeks ago in the vibratory cleaner are on the left, and SS tumbled cases are on the right.

cases.jpg

I'm using the standard mixture of dish soap and Lemishine, but obviously there has been some sort of reaction to cause the brass to turn this color. Anybody else seen this? Any way to brighten them up?

Almost looks like they've been alodined.... Shoot Corey with STM a call.

It may have something to do with the rubber lining of the tumbler.

Run just your media with soap and some lemishine for a couple hours. Rinse your media really well and then re-run your brass.

Terry

Thanks, Terry - I did try that, except with 5 pc of clean range pick-up brass just to test. That brass came out looking good, as expected.

I think my issue was caused by the media setting in the drum for so long (with a little bit of water in there). It might be compounded by the fact that my previous use of the tumbler many months ago was to clean brass that still had Imperial wax on it. That didn't work so well, so now I know to clean the lube off in the vibrator before tumbling wet.

Before I took the picture above I tumbled for 4-5 hours in clean media, and the brass came out looking like it did when it went in: clean, but matte gold/brown. So a good rule of thumb seems to be to clean the media before tumbling after long periods of not using it. It's not the end of the world, but I'd like to be able to get this brass back to its old shiny self.

edit: K_4c, I didn't purchase my media from STR but I may still give them a call. I take it this is a known issue?

One question I have about the STM...will it "peen" the brass and weaken it at all? I was about to buy a kit but was told this could happen...just wondering if anyone has ever noticed this.

So after burning up five vibratory tumblers in two years, I bit the bullet and went the stainless media route. This method works great, better than any method I have used, ever, and I have been reloading for decades. I won't bother posting pictures of my bright shiny brass, so many others have already done so.

In the almost 8 months that I have had this tumbler, I have used it so much that I have worn out the nylon bushings on the roller rods. The nice thing about this tumbler is that you can buy any part for it but the base.

I do have a question about the tumbling process for some of you guys. My friends and I all use the tumbler and reloading gear in a communal "Man Shop" (about a half dozen of us at this point), so it gets a lot of use. We jury rigged a old hair dryer hooked up to a metal box to dry the brass, but the drying process still takes a while, especially the flash holes (they seem to get film of water that seems to take a while to dry) So, yesterday I was at the store to pick up a couple of bottles of Dawn for my tumbler and I happened to notice a big bottle of Jet Dry. Thinking that it may help speed up the drying process I went ahead and bought that also. So I took a batch of brass out of the tumbler and went to rinse it in clean water and added some Jet Dry to the water. After putting the brass in the drying box for about 20 minutes I checked the brass and it looked dry as a bone, including the flash holes.

My questions are:
Has anyone used a drying agent like Jet Dry and if so what is your experience with it?
Are there any negative effects to the brass by using a drying agent like Jet Dry?

Have not used jet dry or heard any reports on it's use. Most everyone that wants dry brass fast is using alcohol to do it. Submerge the brass and shake around, pull it out and shake it off. Toss it in your drying box and it will be dry in a few minutes.

Terry

I looked back thru my notes and I did try jet dry but not for the same purpose you did. I tried it for cleaning and found that it worked but not as well as lemishine. I did not see any problems from its use.

Look back at page 14 of this thread, I posted on it.

Terry

So, it's been about three years now that some of you guys have been converts. I recently have had a discussion with a few guys that have been using it as long as I have and was curious to see what benefits you guys have noted from switching to the SS media.

Other than the most obvious ones, such as primer pockets.

For example: sizing ease, easier spotting case failure, case life?

Just would like to see if anyone else has noted anything worth posting. Did not want to make claims that could only be associated with my use, and some close friends use.

Terry

Slit case's are a lot easier to spot.
And sizing is easier. I use LEE sizine lube mixed with alcohol

Got this media and it works amazing!!!

Had a bunch of 223 brass that I picked up at a range... (it had been layin out in the dirt for months) fithy/crusty/nasty green stuff

Looks like new after 5 hours in the tumbler....

Have used both corn/walnut as well as ultrasonic...
Stainless is the way to go by far!!

Gentlemen, I am a newbie here (this is my post no. 1) so feel free to pick on me a bit. I've been following this discussion for some time now, and I finally broke down and bought a Thumbler Tumbler Model B kit. The instructions say to oil the unit before use, but the instructions don't indicate *where* to put the oil. I don't have much experience with electric motors and don't want to screw this one up. Can someone give me some guidance in the regard. Any help much appreciated.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sgJ_WSeUEZQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sgJ_WSeUEZQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, it's been about three years now that some of you guys have been converts. I recently have had a discussion with a few guys that have been using it as long as I have and was curious to see what benefits you guys have noted from switching to the SS media.

Other than the most obvious ones, such as primer pockets.

For example: sizing ease, easier spotting case failure, case life?

Just would like to see if anyone else has noted anything worth posting. </div></div>

Found a couple of incipient case head failures simply from looking at brass that came out of the stainless steel media tumbling process, and then confirming with a probe. Maybe I would have caught it after normal tumbling in corn cob media, but that type of problem was never as obvious to me before.

I also noted that the sizing stroke on my Dillon 550 seems to be smoother now that I switched to stainless steel. I have long used the Hornady One Shot Lube, and the difference now in sizing is noticeable to me, at least.

Anyone wanting media that will be @ Camp Perry during the long range matches Mark will be there. Just contact me and I will get you his cell number so you can hook up.

Terry

Im thinking about crossing over into the stainless steel crowd and came across this thread and have read a majority of it, but I dont have the patience or the time to sit down and read all 48 pages of conversations so Im just going to ask...... Do you guys ONLY tumble with SS media or do you also use an ultrasonic cleaner? Im really hesitant to spend nearly $200 on a tumbler, but from what I heard its worth every penny. I hope its really worth it. I just dont feel that ultrasonic is getting the job done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is page 48 of this thread, What do you think? </div></div>

HAHA! Tuche'

I don't think there's another thread on this forum that's as long as this one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MANIMAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im thinking about crossing over into the stainless steel crowd and came across this thread and have read a majority of it, but I dont have the patience or the time to sit down and read all 48 pages of conversations so Im just going to ask...... Do you guys ONLY tumble with SS media or do you also use an ultrasonic cleaner? Im really hesitant to spend nearly $200 on a tumbler, but from what I heard its worth every penny. I hope its really worth it. I just dont feel that ultrasonic is getting the job done. </div></div>

I only tumble with SS, a little Dawn soap and some Lemi-Shine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lachoneus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MANIMAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im thinking about crossing over into the stainless steel crowd and came across this thread and have read a majority of it, but I dont have the patience or the time to sit down and read all 48 pages of conversations so Im just going to ask...... Do you guys ONLY tumble with SS media or do you also use an ultrasonic cleaner? Im really hesitant to spend nearly $200 on a tumbler, but from what I heard its worth every penny. I hope its really worth it. I just dont feel that ultrasonic is getting the job done. </div></div>

I only tumble with SS, a little Dawn soap and some Lemi-Shine. </div></div>

Ya forgot your water!!
smile.gif

I just did also. I've never tumbled my brass, but a friend uses this method and I decided to go for it; Brownell's had the tumbler/SS meadia combo on sale.

Yesterday I tumbled 200 .264 Win Mag cases, 500 .243 WSSM cases and a few .300 Win Mag cases.

I'm impressed to say the least!

Now my ammo will look as good as it shoots!