• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Steel Target Question

kchustle

Private
Minuteman
May 10, 2011
OP, KS
I found bigdogsteel.com and since they seem to have a good reputation here I thought I would try some of their targets. I am new to shooting precision at any real distance so I don't really know what size to pick up. Am I wrong that a 8"x8" plate should be more than enough out to 400 yards or should I go bigger since this is all new to me? I thought 2 MOA would be plenty (I actually thought about getting the 25% IPSC target but my buddy thinks that this would be a bad idea), but if you have been in the same boat and have an opinion I would appreciate it. I want to be able to have fun but I want it to be challenging so I don't want a huge target. The gun is MOA capable (lots of sub MOA groups but at 100 yds) as it stands so I am giving myself plenty of error. Thoughts? Range to be used would be between 250 and 400 yards.

Re: Steel Target Question

I generally set up a 1 MOA and a 2MOA target at each range.
A 8" Plate will be fun at 400, not to hard, not to easy. Paint a 4" center on it and try to keep them in that center once you get some practice.

I have full and half torso targets (actual size). I have some smaller rounds as well but the primary use for my steel is open desert shooting and unknown distance. If you are doing that, I'd go larger not smaller. If you wanna hold yourself to tighter tolerances then paint rings on them. I wanted to have several so I could set up ranges instead of pounding the same target over and over. I generally set them up at 500-1300 yards. If I was range limited, my targets would be smaller.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kchustle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found bigdogsteel.com and since they seem to have a good reputation here I thought I would try some of their targets. </div></div>

I'd go with his 45% IPSC. (I believe its the largest that he can still ship flat rate) You won't be disappointed within those ranges and beyond.