• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr THB Anyone?

vadim

Private
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2020
NYS
After a careful search of this forum as well as Google, there's almost no information on this rifle besides some cursory mentions and a for-sale post. I see a few magazine reviews dating back to 2018, but nothing recent. Curious what the folks here think... was it just a mismatch for the US Market (e.g. Tikka CTR is cheaper and has a very strong reputation) or something else is going on here? Considering a .308 20" version... Thanks!

I have the thb manners in 6.5, sbs action is nice for factory production, trigger feels good to me also, mags are incredibly long if you hand load, barrel feels a little light to me but I'm use to HEAVY profiles. For me it was a no-brainer to get for my Steyr collection and it feels like a modern replacement for the original SSG69's. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer best I can, would love to post pics but haven't figured out how to yet, lol.

Reactions: vadim
What characteristics in a rifle are you prioritizing? I have an 23.6” SSG-04 in 308, I love it. Essentially the same as the Pro, but with a different stock. Steyr rifles are barely on anyones radar, but they are excellent.

Reactions: vadim and Sinned
Thank you for your replies. Kamerad, good question that will probably help me get the right advice, here are some data points:

• I am looking to get into target shooting with a rifle and I am looking for an entry point that is enjoyably high quality (just because I like it, not because I am good enough for it by any means)
  • Because sky is the limit I don't want to enter a price range that my skills will more than likely never justify
  • I don't hunt, though I may in the future. This will more than likely be my only rifle, but I guess that's what they all say :)
  • I have decent level of proficiency with handgun target shooting, but very limited long gun experience/optics/etc
  • My local range is 25 yards, but 30 minutes out there's a facility that goes up to 300 yards
  • Best case I'll be shooting once a week at the local range with occasional trip to the longer range facility
  • I can't (easily) get ammo shipped where I live so a rifle that performs consistently with various loads is preferable
  • I will of course need to get the optics, but I probably will not go crazy with trigger mods/etcs keeping most of the rifle stock
CTR seems like a no-loss option, a little cheaper and well regarded, but also completely out of stock everywhere.

Appreciate you helping me think through this.

-Vadim

With a 25 yard and occasional 300 yard range a really nice .22 and maybe something in .223 or 6.5 howa mini action? Would be alot cheaper and a .22 at distance would be a challenge and exciting.

Thanks, Sinned. I see your point. I have a .22 buckmark pistol and I never really got into it, so I'd probably go for a .223. That being said, .223 ammo seems largely unavailable, at least these days and .308 is still around. Hopefully that will change one day, but it's hard not to consider it as one of the deciding factors...

Steyr makes a good rifle. I can't remember if they are press-fit or threaded barrel? That would sway my decision, personally. (Wouldn't be able to replace barrel)

The Steyr is more unique and would fufill your needs no problem. But the CTR is more of a known quantity and also has the refined quality you are looking for. (The stock is basic, but very functional)

Bergara HMR is another solid option at that price range.

Either way you better get use to driving 30min because 25 yards is basically useless and very boring with a center fire rifle. Could maybe use it for initial zero and/or checking scope tracking, other than that I don't know.

@Harman117, according to this thread, it seems to be threaded, but finding someone to do the job might not be easy...

Thanks for your thoughts.

@Harman117, according to this thread, it seems to be threaded, but finding someone to do the job might not be easy...

Thanks for your thoughts.

Good find. Not that it is a major issue but with some of the euro stuff I always check just in case of the event that the barrel gets shot out (very few people use them enough for this)

I own several including the SBS THB in the MCS stock 6.5 Creedmoor and the SSG 04 in .308. Steyr makes a fantastic factory rifle. It is on par with many custom guns as far as accuracy is concerned. Yes, their barrels are a little thin but I shot .75 moa 15 shot group in less than 90 seconds with the Creedmoor and stopped worrying about barrel contour after that. I don't know where you live, so I can't speak to that particular ammo situation, but I will say for consistently performing ammo 6.5 Creedmoor has performed better for me across various manufactures than .308 Win. This may also be partly attributed to me shooting better on a lower recoiling rifle. Let me know if I can help with any further info.

I called Steyr US HQ in AL and spoke to an Austrian Armor that works there. He ask me why the hell would I change the barrel.. That is what they are know for I guess. They are threaded barrels with metric threads. I can't remember what they are exactly but if you call Steyr they can tell you. I would like to put a bull barrel on mine. I was looking at this pretty hard but the cost and the wait time wasn't worth it at that point.

I can stay the 6.5CM THB like heavy bullets, like 147 and really like 153 A-tips.