• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing stock finish

huntall

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2009
Show Me State
What do I need to seal off a wood stock that has been stipped down to bare wood so not to have bleed through of the wood grain? I will be painting with Krylon. I have made one attempt with primer and then two coats with flat black but had steaking of the wood grain with shiney spots in these areas. I would like to make it look like synthetic.
Thanks
Huntall

Re: stock finish

After the 0000 steel wool or scotch brite, try a matte finish clear that hardens. A coat or two of that usually gives me enough material that the wood grain doesn't show and then you can krylon and clear to your heart's content on top of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After the 0000 steel wool or scotch brite, try a matte finish clear that hardens. A coat or two of that usually gives me enough material that the wood grain doesn't show and then you can krylon and clear to your heart's content on top of it. </div></div>

What he said, thats the only way you are going to seal the grain so it doesnt show under the paint. After a few coats of clear, wait for it to harden, and wet sand it with 600grit wet/dry sandpaper so it smooth before you hit it with Krylon.

You could also texture the stock to hide the grain. Rattle can undercoat works well. Just let it dry for several days prior to painting after the undercoat is applied.