• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock Market

I’m not big on retail but if I were going to buy something in that sector it may be target. They had a big miss on earning today and the stock is, imo, overly being punished. Down 21+% so far.

Might be an opportunity it someone has been interested in them.

I’m not big on retail but if I were going to buy something in that sector it may be target. They had a big miss on earning today and the stock is, imo, overly being punished. Down 21+% so far.

I'm not sure I would agree with that. They are just the latest indicator of problems to come. You can't increase fuel 2-3x, increase food prices and not have income growth , but then expect everything to be peachy. These things are not totally independent of each other and we haven't even seen the fertilizer and pesticide increases in the food chain yet really. Now add to that the increase in replacement parts for everything and you have a dam just waiting to break and start runaway issues. To say that retail is being overly punished...I just don't agree. I think this is just the start of a much larger adjustment coming this year.

I'm not sure I would agree with that. They are just the latest indicator of problems to come. You can't increase fuel 2-3x, increase food prices and not have income growth , but then expect everything to be peachy. These things are not totally independent of each other and we haven't even seen the fertilizer and pesticide increases in the food chain yet really. Now add to that the increase in replacement parts for everything and you have a dam just waiting to break and start runaway issues. To say that retail is being overly punished...I just don't agree. I think this is just the start of a much larger adjustment coming this year.
While you could be right about retail your argument can be applied to the entire market. If you are bearish then you shouldn’t be holding anything ( there are some sectors and companies to hold but you get the idea ).😊

Target specific, same store sales increased, online increase, they beat revenue and have one of the better IT setups in retail and solid management. That’s the pluses. You covered the minuses above.

🤷‍♂️

Oh, I agree there will be more volatility still to come. Don’t get sucked into this rally.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton

There are a lot of "things" that are not adding up... When we see mega corporations shares drop 10% or more in a single day there is a message in itself. That is the bucket of cold water being poured down the "so called" investors or analysis back. The term we Poor's use is a dose of reality. For over a year we have been talking about the Government running the $$$ printing presses wide open for 24 / 7... Time to "Pay the Piper" for all that free money that was doled out. Unfortunately the Government is still doling it out to places other than the USA.

devildog93

Makes some good points. The analyst and investors that have just spotted the tip of the ice berg are making panic adjustments. Unfortunately they are in an ocean filled with ice berg's. One course adjustment forces them to bump into another ice berg. In an effort to comfort the stock holders they are running full speed ahead in an attempt to get out of the ice berg field. We have seen this 3 - 4 times during our lifetime. The wisest money people have slowed their pace and have their money safely tucked away. Being patient and stubborn still has it's place in investing.

Going to be a long fall before the landing.

Reactions: Graywolf.260
Wow. Hardcore bear on the news this morning making an argument for a 30% drop from current market index.

That’s a big bold drop if it happens.

• Wow
Reactions: NoDopes
Add bj to that. Down 14%

Inflation is nailing them.

Add bj to that. Down 14%

Inflation is nailing them.
Reports like this just prove the FED Reserve does not have a clue as to what is happening in the real world while it continues to spew out propaganda with key words like "leveling off". America can not financially bail out a worldwide financial collapse. Be it COVID, oil, shipping, inflation, drought or war...... NATO, CDC, and UNICEF are some of the leaches that need to be picked off.....
Sink or swim should be the message to foreign countries.

We have not mentioned warren and citigroup (C).

Reports like this just prove the FED Reserve does not have a clue as to what is happening in the real world while it continues to spew out propaganda with key words like "leveling off". America can not financially bail out a worldwide financial collapse. Be it COVID, oil, shipping, inflation, drought or war...... NATO, CDC, and UNICEF are some of the leaches that need to be picked off.....
Sink or swim should be the message to foreign countries.
What kinda worried me is he stated he is fine with the unemployment rate increasing.

• Sad
Retail sales data show that consumers are still spending—but in one sense they have to, since inflation has forced them to spend more just to buy the same goods and services they did a year ago. In addition, spending on experiences over shopping has been a priority for many Americans, after Covid-19 put so many of those activities on hold.

Yet Target’s results showed the market several things. First, Walmart’s bad quarter wasn’t solely the fault of management missteps. Second, that weak results aren’t just an e-commerce problem. Third, that shoppers’ spending on discretionary items has fallen fairly consistently. Fourth, even consumers with higher incomes are pulling back in reaction to inflation.

Reactions: stefan73
Wow. Hardcore bear on the news this morning making an argument for a 30% drop from current market index.

That’s a big bold drop if it happens.

That takes the S&P back down to Jan 2019 levels, and would align its trailing PE to the historical mean. Doesn't seem implausible in the least.

I wonder how much is panic buying like @Bigfatcock- get it while you can, and people knowing inflation is coming so spend it or loose it.

Labor participation rate is still historically low right now, not having recovered from Covid shutdowns. Not caring about "unemployment" would seem to be another mistake.

I wonder how much is panic buying like @Bigfatcock- get it while you can, and people knowing inflation is coming so spend it or loose it.

Labor participation rate is still historically low right now, not having recovered from Covid shutdowns. Not caring about "unemployment" would seem to be another mistake.
I do not think labor participation rates will ever recover - too many people taking early retirement and never going back to "woke" US corporations. Add to that US companies outsourcing as much "white collar" jobs as possible overseas and for the final nail a surge of AI/ML taking jobs. We are seeing tip of iceberg of dramatically lower labor participation

I think that "panic buying" phase has ended... That was one more thing that stove off the reality of the onset of a recession. The concerning thing (in the short term) is the BNPL mindset (Buy Now, Pay later)... That too will skew the recession numbers for the next 2 months, or so. Between these actions skewing numbers and the FED Reserve delaying it's actions in an effort to create a soft landing...... The actual recession momentum is picking up speed.

• Haha
Reactions: NoDopes
Yep.

Notice that in the last 30 minutes of trading there was no "pop up" going into close. .. No "Buying to Cover" the shorts. ... Those short share holders are holding them over night... Pay attention. They don't do that often.
I covered my Target short at open. Left some money on the table, but I have little interest in holding a short for long.

Been there, done that, got the T shirt and wore it out.......... Staying too long at the party leaves lasting memories.
Buckle up for tomorrow.
Thought about getting some calls on a few things today, but decided against it. Just going to watch for awhile.

Is it bad that I am happy my small cap fund I have my 401k in right now only lost 3% today vs. the S&P's 4%?

Got to look at the bright side of the toilet bowl right HAHAHAHAHA.

Is it bad that I am happy my small cap fund I have my 401k in right now only lost 3% today vs. the S&P's 4%?

Got to look at the bright side of the toilet bowl right HAHAHAHAHA.
If you are young, under 30, this is just a bump in the road and you will recover.
If you are old and trying to retire, every penny counts....
Depends on your perspective and your tolerance for risk.

These people have driven the stock market, and everything else they touch, into the ground with their idiotic 'policies'. But not to worry, the new press secretary is a gay, black female. But the one thing they are sure of is that you are racist.

I have some limit buys set for my favorite dividend stocks.

Market May drop a lot, but hopefully will bounce back in the next 5 years. If it doesn’t, then that means the SHTF, and it doesn’t matter anymore.

Appears the rest of the markets are in lock step.

Asian markets mostly closed lower on Thursday and European indexes slid in early trade following a rough day on Wall Street.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng (HSI) tumbled 2.5%, leading losses in the region. Japan's Nikkei (N225) also dropped nearly 2%. China's Shanghai Composite Index (SHCOMP) fell as much as 1.4% before reversing in late trade to close 0.4% up.
In Europe, London's FTSE 100 (UKX) was down 2.4%, while Germany's DAX (DAX) and France's CAC40 (CAC40) both lost about 2% in early trade.

Even more people calling on a 30% drop this morning.

😒

Even more people calling on a 30% drop this morning.

😒
Yep, food commodities appear to be trending down... Higher prices are forcing people to cut back just a bit and use up some of the things stored in their pantry. Local organic small farms are passing their cost increases on to their customer's. Some of their local restaurant accounts are decreasing the size of their weekly orders. Local's just are not eating out in restaurants like they were doing when the pandemic ended. Supply and demand 101.

Reactions: gigamortis
Pretty meaningless. Retail companies are compared against Amazon in ESG calculations. Look at an industry’s ESG chart and it reflects market cap almost exactly. At least in retail.
Batten down the hatches...

Billionaire Leo Koguan, who claims to be the third largest individual shareholder of Tesla stock, is calling on the carmaker to announce a $15 billion stock buyback as the company’s share price continues to fall.

"Wallstreet Breakfast" this morning reference Target, etc.: Inflation nation: "Retailers are starting to reveal the impact of eroding consumer purchasing power," explained Paul Christopher, head of global market strategy at Wells Fargo Investment Institute, which has predicted a recession around year-end into early 2023. "The consumer's ability to spend is eroding at a faster pace than it was a month or two ago. We think that pace is going to accelerate further."

"Wallstreet Breakfast" this morning reference Target, etc.: Inflation nation: "Retailers are starting to reveal the impact of eroding consumer purchasing power," explained Paul Christopher, head of global market strategy at Wells Fargo Investment Institute, which has predicted a recession around year-end into early 2023. "The consumer's ability to spend is eroding at a faster pace than it was a month or two ago. We think that pace is going to accelerate further."
I believe we are already in one. We are just not calling it by name yet.

Yep... They use the word accelerate and I use the word momentum... similar to shooting a rifle. The analyst think it will be a hot round that's going to drop off quick. I see a heavier, slower round that will carry farther and do more damage. Just an opinion. The longer this administration attempts to bail out the corrupt nations of the world, the more damage that will be done to the USA.

Batten down the hatches...

Billionaire Leo Koguan, who claims to be the third largest individual shareholder of Tesla stock, is calling on the carmaker to announce a $15 billion stock buyback as the company’s share price continues to fall.
It’s more so capital allocation majority investors are having issues with. Tesla has $18B in cash sitting on the balance sheet with no debt and positive FCF. They should do a $5B buyback in 2022 and $10B in 2023.

I believe we are already in one. We are just not calling it by name yet.
Of course we are in a recession..... Depending on a person's lively hood, it's similar to the saying "Can't see the Forest for the Tree(s)"..... The blue collar worker stopping to fill his gas tank this morning has a clear view of the forest. The Wall Street analysis and Reporter's live in a shoe box, walk to work, spend the day in a cubical and read propaganda all day on their computer. When the boss tells them to write a positive analysis or produce a cheerful talking head video... That's what they do. They can't see the forest because of one big tree blocking their view. That is the "Job Scared Tree"....
JMHO

If you are young, under 30, this is just a bump in the road and you will recover.
If you are old and trying to retire, every penny counts....
Depends on your perspective and your tolerance for risk.

I turn 40 this year, have 25 years until forced retirement at age 65, not to concerned. I have the ability to max out my 401k(CSL) for the next 25 years... Thats 1.5 million not counting any gains and not counting the CSL going up... So if I just put my money in cash and buried my head in the sand I would have that, which isnt chump change, although in 25 years it likely will be LOL.

It’s more so capital allocation majority investors are having issues with. Tesla has $18B in cash sitting on the balance sheet with no debt and positive FCF. They should do a $5B buyback in 2022 and $10B in 2023.

Tesla should do no such thing. That money needs to be invested in factories, product development, and supplier development if they intend to be a major player in the auto market. In fact, they should be using far more stock while the market still places an inflated value on it. Now, if they just want to be a major player in the stock market, sure, go ahead and play the buyback game.

I turn 40 this year, have 25 years until forced retirement at age 65, not to concerned. I have the ability to max out my 401k(CSL) for the next 25 years... Thats 1.5 million not counting any gains and not counting the CSL going up... So if I just put my money in cash and buried my head in the sand I would have that, which isnt chump change, although in 25 years it likely will be LOL.
You are in the "Cat Bird Seat"... Your's to win or your's to loose...
Couple of thoughts.. Man in your position should think about a "prenup". Consider a vasectomy. Verify your cardio vascular system is 100% and have a good cardiologist onboard.
You are at an age where if you lost 1/2 of it, you would never recover all of it.
Just a few thoughts... Hang in there.

Reactions: Gwak2006
Tesla should do no such thing. That money needs to be invested in factories, product development, and supplier development if they intend to be a major player in the auto market. In fact, they should be using far more stock while the market still places an inflated value on it. Now, if they just want to be a major player in the stock market, sure, go ahead and play the buyback game.
Stock in undervalued by Tesla’s own estimates. Additionally, they are announcing 1-3 new gigs factories this year (Q3/4 I believe). That cash isn’t needed. They should leverage the balance sheet and deploy the cash in ways which have much greater return. However, I’m also in the camp that I don’t really care what they do with cash at this point.

Today must be Cisco's day in the barrel. Down about 14% and it's still early
big.chart

Stock in undervalued by Tesla’s own estimates. Additionally, they are announcing 1-3 new gigs factories this year (Q3/4 I believe). That cash isn’t needed. They should leverage the balance sheet and deploy the cash in ways which have much greater return. However, I’m also in the camp that I don’t really care what they do with cash at this point.

For a company that supposedly needs to build another 20 factories to meet the future demand which justifies its present price, there can be no better ROI than CapEx. But if that future demand isn't real, sure, take the cash and buy back shares. The game won't last for long if that's the case, but then will be much bigger issues for the shareholders.

For a company that supposedly needs to build another 20 factories to meet the future demand which justifies its present price, there can be no better ROI than CapEx. But if that future demand isn't real, sure, take the cash and buy back shares. The game won't last for long if that's the case, but then will be much bigger issues for the shareholders.
Why would you expand past what supply chains can currently support? 1-3 factories every 2 years seems ideal.

They are now telling customer it will be over a year for some products.

Not a year, that's BS, more like never.

The supply system that was in place in March 2020 isn't ever coming back to what it was then, ever.

And the Chinese supplied stuff won't ever come back to even 50% of what it was then, ever.

The Chinese arenow trying to go total near recluse in exports and internation trade at this point, what with the international sanctions they have recently seen applied to their comrades.

Not a year, that's BS, more like never.

The supply system that was in place in March 2020 isn't ever coming back to what it was then, ever.

And the Chinese supplied stuff won't ever come back to even 50% of what it was then, ever.

The Chinese arenow trying to go total near recluse in exports and internation trade at this point, what with the international sanctions they have recently seen applied to their comrades.
Annnnd...next up CCP and Taiwan rodeo.

With $TSLA FCF of $10B in 2022 and $20B in 2023 — after CapExp for new gigafactories of $7B in 2022 and $8B in 2023 — stock buybacks of $5B in 2022 and $10B in 2023 are far superior to letting cash build on the balance sheet at 2-3% ROI.

Why would you expand past what supply chains can currently support? 1-3 factories every 2 years seems ideal.
What about expanding and build factories that make the parts that are hobbling production... What about a battery plant ? What about a tire plant. Just throwing thoughts out there.... With this move, I can't help but think Elon is ready to move on to some other endevour. Bump the share price up as he makes his exit.

What about expanding and build factories that make the parts that are hobbling production... What about a battery plant ? What about a tire plant. Just throwing thoughts out there.... With this move, I can't help but think Elon is ready to move on to some other endevour. Bump the share price up as he makes his exit.
That can already do all of that with FCF. They aren’t constrained by capital. I believe Elon will step down in 3-5 years.