• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock Market

There is a lot of activity taking place in Q2 from loss in production to BTC impairment. At the end, the writing is still on the wall... GF3 & GF4 going down to expand production. I wouldn't mind another dip into the low $600s to add some more.
Looking like TSLA will test that $600 support this week.

Looking like the airline pilots are just not going to work cheap any more... Worldwide
StockholmScandinavian airline SAS has filed for bankruptcy protection in the United States to help accelerate restructuring plans, it said on Tuesday, warning strike action by pilots had impacted its financial position and liquidity.
Wage talks between SAS (SASDF) and its pilots collapsed on Monday, triggering a strike that adds to travel chaos across Europe as the peak summer vacation period begins.

Bill Ackman

"Over the past two weeks, rates have declined dramatically purportedly due to fears of a recession. Friday’s move was particularly stunning for the scale of the move and for the degree of intraday volatility. I put forth here a theory of what is going on: On the risk of a recession: a recession is defined as a two quarter decline in real, as opposed to nominal, GDP. In a highly inflationary economy, it is more difficult for nominal spending and growth to exceed inflation. In order therefore for today’s economy to grow on a realbasis, nominal GDP growth must be >8.6% which is a difficult hurdle to exceed. It has been 40 years since we have experienced inflation at current levels and as a result, market participants are used to a world with 4-5% nominal GDP growth and 2% inflation. With inflation at 2%, nominal GDP growth need only decline from 4-5% to less than 2-3% for two quarters in a row for real GDP to be negative and for the economy to be deemed to be in a recession. Two quarters of negative GDP growth does not however seem to be a reasonable definition during a period with high inflation, particularly when inflation has spiked to nearly 9%. Nominal spending growth of 8% for the last two quarters would technically put us in a recession but this does not make sense fundamentally. The economy is continuing to grow rapidly on a nominal basis. Consumers are spending substantially more this year than last. There are about two times as many job openings than people looking for work. The unemployment rate is at a 50-year low. Wages are rising substantially and it is hard to find workers. Q2 revenues and earnings growth should be strong for most businesses, with earnings misses and margin declines for some companies which have limited pricing power. Consumers have approximately $2.5T of excess savings. While there is a mix shift underway from goods to services, overall demand is extremely strong. We have a supply, not a demand problem. This does not seem like a set up for a true economic recession regardless of the favored definition. So why have rates declined so dramatically, particularly short rates when the @federalreserve has become increasingly strident about the need for aggressive tightening to bring inflation back down to 2%? The answer I believe is largely due to some misunderstanding about what a recession is, but more importantly technical factors that are driving volatility and the downward move in rates. Market participants speculating in the fixed income market, particularly hedge funds, often use enormous amounts of leverage because it is available and it allows one to make windfall profits if you get the trade right. The bet that rates would rise became one of the more crowded trades in history going into June 15. As speculators covered their shorts on the Fed news, rates began to decline causing substantial mark-to-market losses particularly for levered participants, who were forced or chose to cover. With more data points emerging indicative of a slowing economy, the recession narrative took hold causing a further decline in rates, contributing to more losses, and short covering going into the quarter end when exposures are required to be disclosed in investor reports and financial statements. Extremely limited liquidity going into the July 4th holiday compounded the move and the volatility and pain for levered market participants, as traders looked to, and in many cases, were forced to exit, or didn’t wish to hold open positions over the long weekend. So what happens from here? Powell has committed to do ‘whatever it takes’ to quell inflation even if doing so causes an increase in unemployment and a recession. Inflation is not coming down soon. Housing and rental costs, energy, ag and food are supply constrained and higher prices are unlikely to abate for the foreseeable future. Wages are continuing to rise as immigration has been limited, many have exited the workforce and the balance of power has gone from companies to their labor forces. Companies are raising prices because they must in order to cover their costs and because they can. The wage price spiral is underway. While demand is moderating due to sticker shock and inflation as well as rising rates, overall demand remains strong. Inflation has become imbedded and is a daily experience, in headline news, and a dinner table topic for all. I Savings bonds pay 9.62%! In order to stop the inflationary spiral, the Fed will need to rapidly raise rates to 4-5% by next year, which hopefully will be enough to snuff inflation. The mild and transitory inflation being priced by the market as of Friday is a fiction. Rates are going up a lot soon. The sooner the Fed quells inflation, the better for longer-term bonds and long-term financial assets like equities. Don’t be misled by short-term, technically driven market movements. Stocks of high quality businesses with long-term growth and pricing power look cheap. Don’t forget that the stock market measures nominal business value. Inflation is hurting business and consumer confidence and slowing growth.Killing off inflation will save the economy in the longer term at the expense of some short term pain. Let’s hope the Fed gets it right. I welcome your input and rebuttals. And yes, we put our money where our mouth is. I have often wondered why investors who share their views are often criticized for holding investments on which they will profit if the views they share turn out to be correct. We are 100%+ long high-quality growth businesses with pricing power, and own hedges on which we will profit if rates rise. Our positioning as always matches our thinking and stated views."
From this article: "Inflation is not coming down soon." "Rates are going up a lot soon." "Inflation is hurting business and consumer confidence and slowing growth."

IOW, COGS and financing costs especially are going up for all businesses. Profitability will decline going forward until the inflationary trend ends.

You know we are in trouble when the headline says this about the chart below.

S&P 500 gains for fourth day to match year’s longest win streak​

big.chart

If “headline” inflation that Powell has been jawboning goes down it may give the fed cover to slow down their rate increases.
The FED's measurement of inflation is detached from the actual rate of inflation for "We the People". The FED's interest rate is much different than the interest rate on your credit card. The FED's Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) is not in line with actual cost of living for middle class American's.

However, every news reporting service, White House Press Secretary and leading financial analysis is going to quote "Government Numbers".....
"This is the Captain speaking. We will be landing shortly. There is some turbulence in the area and the Fasten Seat Belt sign has been turned on. Stay in your seat and remain calm."...:confused:
JMHO

Reactions: RUTGERS95
The market is "Fickle".... None of the so called Experts can give one day's worth of guidance, much less two years of guidance. However when a very old company with an excellent product simple tells the market the truth about what is coming down the pipe.... They get punished. That just proves the point that the experts with no guidance are going to "Kill the Messenger" when the future is laid out in Black and White. A sad state of affairs.

The market is "Fickle".... None of the so called Experts can give one day's worth of guidance, much less two years of guidance. However when a very old company with an excellent product simple tells the market the truth about what is coming down the pipe.... They get punished. That just proves the point that the experts with no guidance are going to "Kill the Messenger" when the future is laid out in Black and White. A sad state of affairs.

I’d look into where they lost their sales at. I doubt it was a bunch of people who buy a can once a year.

Who orders the largest amounts, and for what purposes?

Reactions: lariat and S3th
I’d look into where they lost their sales at. I doubt it was a bunch of people who buy a can once a year.

I figure the "Government's" would be the largest consumers (Federal, State, Local, Foreign, etc).... After all, who is going to miss just one can of WD-40 ?

A sign of the times:

“Inflation acts as a gigantic corporate tapeworm. That tapeworm preemptively consumes its requisite daily diet of investment dollars regardless of the health of the host organism. Regardless of a company’s profits, it has to spend more on receivables, inventory, and fixed assets to simply equal the unit volume of the previous year. The less prosperous the enterprise, the greater the proportion of available sustenance claimed by the tapeworm. Asset-heavy businesses with meager returns on equity have no leftovers to spend on expanding, paying down debt, issuing dividends, or making acquisitions. The tapeworm of inflation simply cleans the plate.” – Warren Buffett

A sign of the times:

“Inflation acts as a gigantic corporate tapeworm. That tapeworm preemptively consumes its requisite daily diet of investment dollars regardless of the health of the host organism. Regardless of a company’s profits, it has to spend more on receivables, inventory, and fixed assets to simply equal the unit volume of the previous year. The less prosperous the enterprise, the greater the proportion of available sustenance claimed by the tapeworm. Asset-heavy businesses with meager returns on equity have no leftovers to spend on expanding, paying down debt, issuing dividends, or making acquisitions. The tapeworm of inflation simply cleans the plate.” – Warren Buffett
This is a good analogy. No one os escaping inflation. The only way to minimize it is to maintain capital assets throughout the inflationary cycle so that you don’t have to purchase new or used at inflated market prices.

This is a good analogy. No one os escaping inflation. The only way to minimize it is to maintain capital assets throughout the inflationary cycle so that you don’t have to purchase new or used at inflated market prices.
True... What I see is the "Poors" have much less to loose. Those who loose assets will feel the loss when we emerge on the other side. Looking back at the past 3 / 4 recessions I can remember stories of those who "lost it all" and never recovered. Homes, retirement savings, luxury vehicles, precious metals and a bit of their sanity along the way. I hear it frequently from my friends who are struggling... "If I only had ______________ back"...

Because Elon is done fucking around with Twitter and instead will put that money towards capacity expansion?
I wonder if this cratering of Twitter wasn’t part of his plan all along if he couldn’t own it. I have no proof but it sure seems to be working in that direction.

Reactions: Emerson0311
I wonder if this cratering of Twitter wasn’t part of his plan all along if he couldn’t own it. I have no proof but it sure seems to be working in that direction.

Maybe, but it seems like there would have been ways to accomplish the task that didn't put him at risk of a monster lawsuit that dwarfs the $1B termination fee, plus whatever the SEC might do to him.

Maybe, but it seems like there would have been ways to accomplish the task that didn't put him at risk of a monster lawsuit that dwarfs the $1B termination fee, plus whatever the SEC might do to him.
I thought about that too. I wonder if there are non-performance clauses in that contract. Either way the lawsuit should tell something.

Why would the SEC rake him over the coals when twitter is the one who both gave him bad information and has been reporting false information to the SEC for years? Seems like twitter are the ones who should be shitting bricks if there is any sense of justice. That is questionable these days, so perhaps not. Discovery will be awesome. I bet they fold up long before that and shut down any chances of that happening.

Why would the SEC rake him over the coals when twitter is the one who both gave him bad information and has been reporting false information to the SEC for years? Seems like twitter are the ones who should be shitting bricks if there is any sense of justice. That is questionable these days, so perhaps not. Discovery will be awesome. I bet they fold up long before that and shut down any chances of that happening.

This is a worthwhile read:

As others have said, the discovery process is going to be wild.

Reactions: devildog93
No, just Twitter risk being "gone".

And that's the problem in a nutshell - investors place more weight on this sideshow than on the fundamental structural difficulty of Tesla achieving its stated goals. Oh well - it's not my money.

And that's the problem in a nutshell - investors place more weight on this sideshow than on the fundamental structural difficulty of Tesla achieving its stated goals. Oh well - it's not my money.
Elon is focused on numerous companies, adding Twitter wouldn’t add significant time separation. I believe Tesla is at a point now that Tesla could achieve its goal without Elon. Albeit at a slower rate.

The Twitter risk is related to stock leverage situation. No risk of margin call, etc.

Now that Elon has exited the deal, he isn’t likely going to buy billions of dollars of Tesla stock. Tesla has a great capital structure if they need to increase their books they can do so easily.

As of June 28th, 2022, the commercial traders held 52,288 short contracts for a whopping 261 million Troy ounces. Do the math on the total dollar value of those contracts! The short sellers have contracted commitments to provide many, many tons of silver, at an artificially low price. They are in effect placing a huge bet on further silver price declines.

As of June 28th, 2022, the commercial traders held 52,288 short contracts for a whopping 261 million Troy ounces. Do the math on the total dollar value of those contracts! The short sellers have contracted commitments to provide many, many tons of silver, at an artificially low price. They are in effect placing a huge bet on further silver price declines.

~$5B notional value

Reactions: Hobo Hilton

Explaining The Disconnect Between Physical And Paper Oil Markets​

A couple of days ago, Saudi Arabia shocked oil punters after it hiked oil prices for its biggest market, Asia, in the middle of one of the biggest oil crashes this year. State producer Saudi Aramco hiked its key Arab Light crude grade for Asian customers by $2.80 a barrel from July's level to a premium of $9.30 a barrel over the regional Oman/Dubai quotes, bringing it just shy of the record $9.35 a barrel premium seen in May.

Elon is focused on numerous companies, adding Twitter wouldn’t add significant time separation. I believe Tesla is at a point now that Tesla could achieve its goal without Elon. Albeit at a slower rate.

The Twitter risk is related to stock leverage situation. No risk of margin call, etc.

Now that Elon has exited the deal, he isn’t likely going to buy billions of dollars of Tesla stock. Tesla has a great capital structure if they need to increase their books they can do so easily.
Musk's Twitter Deal Cost Tesla Stock Up to 15%. Why Are Shares Down

The latest in an ongoing educational series called "correlation is not causation":

Screenshot_20220711-114311.png

So now does the narrative change from."Tesla is down because Elon is distracted by Twitter" to "Tesla is down because the fundamentals don't support the price", or will we find some other excuse like "Elon is sad that Amber Heard lost her court case" or "Elon is tired because he is trying to reverse population collapse" or whatever?

It's a bit tough to see Tesla skyrocketing until either Q2 earnings come in better than expected (and I think the bar is set really low), or the general market rips upwards and drags Tesla with it.

BYD (symbol BYDF) has just overtaken Tesla in EV sales. They have the advantages of Chinese raw material access and vertical integration. Berkshire has had a 20% stake and reportedly is selling after a making a shit ton and the stock was hammered today. The market may go down tomorrow after the CPI release. Worth keeping an eye on.

BYD (symbol BYDF) has just overtaken Tesla in EV sales. They have the advantages of Chinese raw material access and vertical integration. Berkshire has had a 20% stake and reportedly is selling after a making a shit ton and the stock was hammered today. The market may go down tomorrow after the CPI release. Worth keeping an eye on.
BYD does not strictly sell battery electric vehicles, so the term "new energy vehicles" also applies to hybrids. Of BYD's total sales, 323,519 were pure battery electric vehicles.

Tesla, by comparison, delivered 564,743 vehicles in the first half of the year. And Tesla, as you know, sells only pure electrics. So it's still on top in the EV race.

A Covid lockdown at Tesla's Shanghai plant slowed production in the second quarter, but BYD's plants are mostly not in Covid hotspots, so it was cranking out cars while Tesla was idled in a 22-day shutdown.