• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stuck 22 inch rim

0C344D1C-BE12-4F10-AAE8-7FC9008C01AC.jpeg
0A0E2E33-6E46-404C-B6EB-8CEA5183A5EE.jpeg

#toomuchisjustenough

Imagine being dumber than a guy who's still drunk 😂

Still haven't explained how rubber mallets exist if rubber "doesn't transmit forces"
Hell, I’ll go one better. After 30 years of driving, I experienced my first stuck wheel recently. All I had on hand was a rubber mallet. I beat on the sidewall until the wheel… gave up from boredom? Must have, as rubber can’t transmit force. Regardless, the wheel came off.

Well, back in the day one of my friends at work had a 79 Ford Thunderbird, we worked in the Chicago area where a lot of salt was used on the roads back then, and it went through one winter driving season.

About mid summer (1980), the local news channel had a story on a woman who had a flat tire on her 79 ford Tbird and she could not get the tire off to change it (rear tire) so had it towed to the local shop to get it fixed. Long story short, the shop had to remove the rear axle to get the tire off. They (shop) said the rim was welded to the drum and they couldn't even remove it then without damaging the rim and drum.

Almost everyone in our lab had seen that news story, including my friend so that weekend he went back home where his dad was in construction and had a lot of heavy duty equipment. He got 3 wheels off but the last rear passenger wouldn't come off. The last thing his Dad tried was anchoring one side to the dump truck and using a backhoe to try and jerk the tire off. That didn't work either.

Final solution was to trade it in on a Mazada RX7 that next week.

Sometimes a mallet will suffice but as others said the sledge hammer is your best bet. Not only does it pack a punch but it allows you to be free and clear of having to be underneath the vehicle (assuming you’re using a jack and not a lift). I suppose some of you mule kickers are attacking the exterior side wall of the tire and if it isn’t super seized that may work to break it free but ideally you want to hit the inside side wall of the tire exerting the force outwards…. which goes hand in hand with leaving the lug nuts slightly threaded so it doesn’t go flying off and damage the rim. Even if you are using jack stands I wouldn’t recommend climbing underneath and kicking / applying brute force. I’ve seen many jacks fail this way and can result in death or serious injury. Much safer and cheaper to either buy or borrow the proper tool(s) or just bring it to a tire shop as most only charge $15-30 to remove or swap a tire.
When trying break the wheel loose under the vehicle leave the lug nuts threaded on part way....

Reactions: mtrmn
Rust belt? Ive never even had an issue getting 19.5 wheels off.

It’s funny because this proves yall mf’ers can argue about literally anything.
Have you not read the Legendary Thread yet?
Post 123

Post 163

I'm spraying it every day with penetrating oil . I'm going to wait til Saturday and gonna back lugs off a turn or two and drive it . I'll stop at short maybe 1/4 mile intervals . If the lug nuts seem tight I'll assume the tire broke loose . I'll maybe swap the tire on the spot .
If not I'm gonna try heat and the sledge and 4x4 again . Gonna put it up on stands and a floor jack on the pumpkin so I can rotate tire .
In the mean time prayers are welcomed . Ya know . So I don't drop the car on muhself .

Experience you second best day as the owner of that car and sell it.
Man this POS has a story . So my dear Daughter turns out minivan into an origami swann on Easter Sunday . I buy this from a friend in Jersey . Well Jersey has no real inspection . Lights , signals , stops and no idiot lights and bam . Slap a sticker on it . Buddy says it's GTG . So I buy it , run it thru inspection and Zowey . Needs front upper and lower control arm bushings , ball joints , rear and forward rear upper control arms and tranny mount . Yes I'm a dumbass and I was in a panic . My experience of my buddy was he was always taking care of his car so it seemed legit . I don't blame my buddy I blame my self for not checking . So here I am and I'll figure it out .

I do construction for a living and haul a lot of heavy trailers and so get rims stuck regularly from all of the heavy breaking and heat it produces. I too have tried everything from a 2x4 being held against the rim and smacking with a sledgehammer (and tire), heat, penetrating oil blah blah blah, they work usually but I now have defaulted to using a ball joint separating fork. This tool is the most reliable method I found.

Wedge it between the back of the wheel and the brake rotor and smack it hard with a regular old framing hammer (You usually have to hit it multiple times to break it loose, emphasis on hitting it hard). I've had it so long I don't remember where I got it but it looks like they have them at Walmart. I'll try to post a picture for you, I left a link below.

The only problem with it I could see would be on some wheels It may not fit between the spokes, but I've never had that problem as of yet. Feel free to DM me if you have questions. Good luck brother!

Here's a better image

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240108-020216~2.png
    Screenshot_20240108-020216~2.png
    173.5 KB · Views: 16
Beat. The. Fuck. Out. Of. The. Tire. Nobody is harder on stuff than contracted laborers on ag equipment. I fix that shit for a living. First order of business is getting the wheels off. Often takes beating on the tires.

Beat. The. Fuck. Out. Of. The. Tire. Nobody is harder on stuff than contracted laborers on ag equipment. I fix that shit for a living. First order of business is getting the wheels off. Often takes beating on the tires.
And NOT the rim. Unless you want to replace the rim.

You should hear winter today. It's making all kinds of noise out there. 50mph winds, snow coming down hard. Here I was going to go sight in my rifle I just put a 6.5 creemoor barrel on. Better get that fugin wheel off before this storm gets to ya out east.

Loosen and tighten the lug nuts to make the wheel flex a little it might help work the pentrating oil in.

Is it to low to just drive it back and forth over your 4x4? There is probably no need to leave the driveway or the front curb.

You could take it to the tire shop and bet them a case beer they can't get it off. It will only take them about 5 minutes I bet. You can get a lot better swing on one when its on a hoist.

That's really easy to avoid. You just put it on the hoist right and you aren't going to nock it off.