• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Suppressor on AR15 6.5 Grendel?

LAKsupply

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2009
Wyo
Anybody running a can on their 6.5 Grendel? Do you like it? How well does it work? I'm going to be putting together a 24" and considering having it knocked down to 22" and threaded for a can. Is it worth it?

The only experience I have with suppressors is FA MP5 shooting subsonic 147gr and semi AR shooting 55gr. Since I've only played with them and not owned anything myself I'm not sure how the whole thing works. From what I'm noticing out there I can apparently use a larger can than the caliber I'm shooting? I can't tell for sure, but from what I'm reading on some sites it appears I can buy a .30cal suppressor that will cover everything down to 5.56? Is that accurate? I was under the impression that I'd need a separate can for every caliber.

Re: Suppressor on AR15 6.5 Grendel?

I'm going to be doing something similar with my Grendel build. I chambered the barrel and did all of the work, but I sent it off to Alex Arms to have a Carbon handguard installed to a custom length with some other features.

Use a .30 Cal can for the Grendel(it is safe and functional), but have the barrel treaded to 5/8-24. Buddy has the Grendel and I love it, but havent heard it suppressed.I'd bring the barrel down to 22", i would personaly not go longer than 22.

I use a AAC 7.62-SD, with a QD attachment on the barrel. Works great. DO NOT use anything .223 related. Too small-bullet just does not quite make it.

If I had it to do all over again I would use the 7.62 on all my weapons since they are 30 cal or smaller. I have a great .223 suppressor on one of my guns, but when I shoot the 223 can next to the 30 cal can--both on 223 weapons I cannot hear the difference. I am sure there is some but I cannot hear it with my old ears. I have 30 cal cans on a 6.5 and 6.8 and they are great!!

Thanks for the info guys.... wasn't going to use a 5.56 can on anything larger... just wondering about the guys that say they're using 7.62 cans on stuff that's that much smaller.

Do you give up any noise reduction or accuracy with the .30 can on a .264 bore?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hogrider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a AAC 7.62-SD, with a QD attachment on the barrel. Works great. DO NOT use anything .223 related. Too small-bullet just does not quite make it.

If I had it to do all over again I would use the 7.62 on all my weapons since they are 30 cal or smaller. I have a great .223 suppressor on one of my guns, but when I shoot the 223 can next to the 30 cal can--both on 223 weapons I cannot hear the difference. I am sure there is some but I cannot hear it with my old ears. I have 30 cal cans on a 6.5 and 6.8 and they are great!! </div></div>

My boss is picking up a Titanium SAS can for his Grendel,and I plan on doing the same, so I'll post impressions when it clears. Other than the threading issues with some cans, are SAS cans pretty comparable in sound, and reliability to the AAC and AWC cans?

I'm running a 30cal. can on my grendel works great have little p.o.i change.I'm use a AAC can plan on getting surefire here soon.

I've got an ops 12th on order for my grendel but thats going to take a while.

My 300 mag can works great on the Grendel.

3844720730_c0fc01d423_o.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 300 mag can works great on the Grendel.

3844720730_c0fc01d423_o.jpg
</div></div>

SB950,

Looks like my AA entry upper. What did you for the threads since they're 3/4x 28? Conversion adapter or rethread?

So... what I'm gathering is that using a larger can on a smaller caliber is safe and usually effective? Probably won't get all you can out of the suppressor but it does work? 30 cal seems to be close enough to .264 that I probably wouldn't notice any difference between that and a can fitted specifically for the 6.5?

Yes, in fact some .30 cal cans are said to work better than some .223 cans and are lighter. I have not heard enough to be a good judge but there are some great cans in .30 cal for multi caliber usage.