• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes SWFA Super Sniper 5-20X50HD

Re: SWFA Super Sniper 5-20X50HD

Nothing yet I had to take a quick trip and just got back Sunday night, so other than mounting it in a Spuhr mount so I have it ready, no... bay window reviews don't count here.

I will be on the range with it this week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: handym3000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i wish they would spread the illumination out a bit more,
it does not have to be the entire rectile but a bit wider and taller, like the first 3-5 dots. it would help.

a zero stop would be a huge plus for me, with out that it makes it tough. i would pay more to get a zero stop.

but the rest of the scope looks solid.

if these changes are made i would definetly be in for a group buy.</div></div>

The scope I have from SWFA the whole reticle lights up... I have no idea if a different one lit up a different way, but this reticle has the whole thing illuminated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: handym3000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i wish they would spread the illumination out a bit more,
it does not have to be the entire rectile but a bit wider and taller, like the first 3-5 dots. it would help.

a zero stop would be a huge plus for me, with out that it makes it tough. i would pay more to get a zero stop.

The scope I have from SWFA the whole reticle lights up... I have no idea if a different one lit up a different way, but this reticle has the whole thing illuminated. </div></div>

Thats great news! Perhaps they will offer 2 different illumination options? Regardless I am happy to hear that yours is fully illuminated

Entire lit ret is GREAT news! The photos posted by JonA on the first page of this thread show just a center dot illumination. I am glad that this has been addressed as it was one of my issues.

Look forward to your thoughts on these scopes.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: handym3000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i wish they would spread the illumination out a bit more,

The scope I have from SWFA the whole reticle lights up... I have no idea if a different one lit up a different way, but this reticle has the whole thing illuminated. </div></div>

Excellent. Now I REALLY want one...

Bad news guys.

Actually only the center dot is supposed to illuminate. Illumination is achieved by shooting light through the edge of the reticle and anything that is etched will refract the light passing through the glass and illuminate. The reason you are seeing what appears to be the entire reticle illuminating is due to the fact that the rest of the reticle is laid on top of the glass and the light is hitting the edge of a raised surface of the actual reticle pattern. The circuit board in the prototype was adjusted to be brighter than necessary making the issue more pronounced than it should be. This only happens when the illumination is turned up in a low light setting and to avoid it you simply turn the illumination down to a lower level.

There are many limitation involved when designing an illuminated reticle that keep us from doing many of the things that people are suggesting. Parts of the reticle that are to be illuminated have a different set of rules applied to them than non illuminated portions and getting both to blend is challenging. There are also manufacturing challenges involved with FFP reticles that limit the design and execution of the reticle pattern that SFP reticles do not have to worry about. The largest limiting factor however is the fact that the minimum width of illuminated portions is quite a bit larger than the minimum width of non illuminated portions and there has to be a sizeable gap between illuminated and non illuminated portions.

We tried many variations in regards to what was illuminated and they all drastically changed the dynamic of the reticle. We are working on new techniques that will allow us to do more in the future.

How is the field of view at 5-6-7 power?

My SS 10x42 and 3-9x42 are lonely...

It has a very wide field of view, on 5x it is wider than a Leupold 4.5-14x50 on 4.5x.

Nice, that's the scope I sold to buy the SS 3-9.

Let's just say someone really wanted a 3-15 HD or 4-16 HD illuminated Super Sniper ... should this person reasonably expect one of these to appear this year?

Super-tac,

This question was asked over on the optics talk forum - SWFA, and the response was that our suggestions were being considered. Nothing definitive, but I'm holding out for a 2.5x10 or 3x12 FFP SS - at least I'm dreaming of one.

To my chigrin and Chris' credit, he releases no scope before it's time which means when it comes out, it's usually right, and avoids the Vortex PST SNAFU.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bad news guys.

Actually only the center dot is supposed to illuminate. Illumination is achieved by shooting light through the edge of the reticle and anything that is etched will refract the light passing through the glass and illuminate. The reason you are seeing what appears to be the entire reticle illuminating is due to the fact that the rest of the reticle is laid on top of the glass and the light is hitting the edge of a raised surface of the actual reticle pattern. The circuit board in the prototype was adjusted to be brighter than necessary making the issue more pronounced than it should be. This only happens when the illumination is turned up in a low light setting and to avoid it you simply turn the illumination down to a lower level.

There are many limitation involved when designing an illuminated reticle that keep us from doing many of the things that people are suggesting. Parts of the reticle that are to be illuminated have a different set of rules applied to them than non illuminated portions and getting both to blend is challenging. There are also manufacturing challenges involved with FFP reticles that limit the design and execution of the reticle pattern that SFP reticles do not have to worry about. The largest limiting factor however is the fact that the minimum width of illuminated portions is quite a bit larger than the minimum width of non illuminated portions and there has to be a sizeable gap between illuminated and non illuminated portions.

We tried many variations in regards to what was illuminated and they all drastically changed the dynamic of the reticle. We are working on new techniques that will allow us to do more in the future. </div></div>

Wow, bummer to hear this, and hopefully you can figure it out soon. I'm assuming the manner in which other companies illuminate their reticle is a "company secret," with each company using their own technique? I only ask because there are other FFP scopes (such as the PST) where the entire reticle is illuminated.

That's not to say that I wouldn't jump on the bandwagon for the group buy when it happens, as everything else sounds peachy (provided the rumor of a ZS model being in the works). As a recreational shooter, I don't see a HUGE need for illumination (unless the zombie apocalypse happens sooner than expected, LOL), as the vasy majority of my shooting is done in daylight anyway. But having that option would be a huge plus...

They could illuminate the whole thing, the lines would just need to be thicker. The March 3-24 I have coming in a few days has lines .08 thick because that’s as thin as they could make them with illumination. The lines on this are .05 and nobody is asking for them to be thicker, some actually want them even thinner. Sometimes choices have to be made.

There are good reasons either way for people to want the entire thing lit up or only the center, it really depends upon what you plan on using the illumination for. For me personally, about 90% of the time I use illumination I prefer only the center (dot/cross, etc) to be lit up but it doesn’t matter enough to me to be bothered by reticles where more lights up—as long as they can be turned down enough not to wash out the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bad news guys.

We tried many variations in regards to what was illuminated and they all drastically changed the dynamic of the reticle. We are working on new techniques that will allow us to do more in the future.
</div></div>

Bad news? Hell, I think that is great news!

Is someone doping a 1,000 yard low light shot on the reticle?

I'm glad they ar making the lines so thin. I have no interest in the fully illuminated reticle, especially if its going to make the lines thicker.

I'd have to agree that the thin lines seem to be a better plan but if the illumination can only be in the center, then I'd say it needs to have some visible space around an actual dot in the center or a blank space like the Vortex so you can see just the dot or center. Or reduce the price by removing the illumination. But all else considered I like what I see and this will be on my short list for my next scope if everything turns out well in the end. Keep up the good work!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They could illuminate the whole thing, the lines would just need to be thicker. The March 3-24 I have coming in a few days has lines .08 thick because that’s as thin as they could make them with illumination. The lines on this are .05 and nobody is asking for them to be thicker, some actually want them even thinner. Sometimes choices have to be made.

There are good reasons either way for people to want the entire thing lit up or only the center, it really depends upon what you plan on using the illumination for. For me personally, about 90% of the time I use illumination I prefer only the center (dot/cross, etc) to be lit up but it doesn’t matter enough to me to be bothered by reticles where more lights up—as long as they can be turned down enough not to wash out the target. </div></div>

Good points, and I guess I didn't grasp the idea behind the reticle not being thick enough when I read SWFA's response, for some reason. Doh! Anyhow, given how bright my current location is, I'd imagine I won't have much use for illumination anyhow, and have managed to get by just fine without it at all so far. As I stated, it's not a deal breaker for me. So now I just need to find a way to justify the expense, and then await the announcement for the Group Buy to open...
whistle.gif

Any insight into the place of manufacture or the origin of the glass being used?

I'm a big Nightforce fan, not because I want to be, but because I have to be. The NF line of products seem to be the minimum threshold for scopes that can survive being owned by me. Put simply, I've broken everything else, including 10X SS. Well, either that or looking through them gave me a headache. Of course, SWFA took care of it, but I screwed it up, nonetheless. If this new SS is built as well as a Nightforce and has better glass, it will be a no brainer for me, zero stop or not. Still, I'd like to have the zero stop and, if possible, at least a partially illuminated reticle.

I think I'd be up for a group buy. Of course, I'll then have to build a rifle to put it on top of, but that's wholly another issue.

I cancelled my backordered F1 MLR2. Looking forward to when these come out.

Does anyone know when these are slotted to release? Im really in need of an optic in this catagory right now but if its going to be another 6months-year i will probably pass.

If anyone is in the know please post.

I guess I don't understand the entire ill reticle either. Do you guys honestly think you will be shooting far enough in the dark to need to use hold overs? Or am I missing something?

I know that I can't wait for 6 months on glass. For that matter, the 12 weeks for my Manners Stock is KILLING ME!!

DK

I'm fairly certain that somewhere in the 5 pages it mentions mid to late June is when they expect to have them in hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know that I can't wait for 6 months on glass. For that matter, the 12 weeks for my Manners Stock is KILLING ME!!

DK </div></div>

Patience is a virtue. Personally I do not have this virtue either. I will however put off ordering a new scope till this is released and I can drive over to SWFA and look through one and make an educated decision.

In all honesty, considering how much over and above the quality is compared to the PST, I might just have to stick with my 16XSS for now until this beauty comes out!!

Decisions... have to be made.

DK

My Kimber HS 22LR is yearning for a new scope. Parallax adjustment down to 35 yds, yowzer, sounds like SWFA has produced another winner. Everybody's thinking it's an outstanding LR scope, which it is, I'm thinking it may also be an outstanding FFP scope for an rimfire trainer.

Can't wait for the production version to come out.....

For those questioning when SWFA will be releasing the 5X20, they stated in an earlier post some would go out this month. I would imagine the original shipment is pre-sold.

They will be in the air at the very end of this month. U.S. Customs is the wild card and for some reason they really like to fondle our stuff worse than a TSA agent. They must have really liked the 1-4x HD because we got quite a few orders shipping to I.C.E. agents right after they cleared customs and were delivered.

We have not pre-sold any yet but will start taking orders tomorrow when we annouce what Snipers Hide LLC. and SWFA, Inc. have worked out in regards to a special Hide deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
We have not pre-sold any yet but will start taking orders tomorrow when we annouce what Snipers Hide LLC. and SWFA, Inc. have worked out in regards to a special Hide deal.</div></div>

And the crowd rejoiced!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emilio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife is going to be pissed
laugh.gif
</div></div>

That's why I'm not going to tell mine!
grin.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Specs:</span>
Tube Construction: One piece
Tube Diameter: 30mm
Actual Magnification: 5x – 20x
Objective Lens Diameter: 50mm
Reticle: Illuminated First Focal Plane Mil-Quad
Eye Piece Focusing System: Adjustable/Locking
Eyepiece Focus Range: ± 1.0 Diopter
Eye Relief: 4”
Parallax Focus Adjustment: Side Focus
Parallax Setting: 35 yards – Infinity
Windage/Elevation Adjustment Value: .1 MRAD
Total Elevation Adjustment Range: 30 MRAD
Field of View: 19.4–4.82 feet @ 100 yards
Length: 14.65”
Weight: 31.39 oz
Battery: CR2032

SSHD520X50MQ_.jpg

Well I was settled on a PST but with these coming out my mind just changed.

I'll be ordering one of these as soon as I get the funds now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ohhhhh SHIT...... another divorce coming. </div></div>

Perhaps SWFA can generate a concurrent Group Buy for Legal counsel to handle all the divorces created by their outstanding Optics group buys.......

My wife is gonna be pissed!!!! and she is local so She may come down there and crack some skulls.

JonA, LL or SWFA, how well can you see the half mil hashes at various power levels? Have you guys noticed if they get lost in various backgrounds or too small to be much use? I have the new weaver FFP but the small half mil dots are so tiny they are basically useless, more of a distraction than an aid. The regular ones are fine but the small ones are somewhat blurred out because of their size. I'm strongly thinking of sending it back for a refund and looking at other offerings.

Flyingbullseye

The first page of this post has pictures at the various powers... honestly you are over-thinking it if you are trying to use the 1/2 mil marks at low power... but they are still visible.

Look at the first page here, excellent photos at 5x - 10X - 20X

I can't speak for the Vortex design but I would think that the 5X setting would be used for close shots and/or low light conditions when the dots would be of less use. However the bold outer portion of the cross hair with the SWFA design "grows" toward the center and facilitates a rapid acquisition of reticle on target at the lower magnification settings. I've proven this to myself with the SS 3-9X4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ohhhhh SHIT...... another divorce coming. </div></div>

Why is divorce so expensive?

Because it's worth it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first page of this post has pictures at the various powers... honestly you are over-thinking it if you are trying to use the 1/2 mil marks at low power... but they are still visible.

Look at the first page here, excellent photos at 5x - 10X - 20X </div></div>

Thanks Frank. I did see the pictures at the beginning of the thread, they can be deceiving sometimes as you can zoom in for more detail such like the last one. I probably should have been more specific and stated at 10x and above, my bad. The problem with the weaver is the dots are so small they don't resolve sharply but have a fuzz to them while the rest of the reticle is sharp regardless how much you adjust the eye lens. Hence they become more of a nuisance than an aid. Weaver has good glass but needs to improve the reticle design.

Flyingbullseye

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They will be in the air at the very end of this month. U.S. Customs is the wild card and for some reason they really like to fondle our stuff worse than a TSA agent. They must have really liked the 1-4x HD because we got quite a few orders shipping to I.C.E. agents right after they cleared customs and were delivered.

We have not pre-sold any yet but will start taking orders tomorrow when we annouce what Snipers Hide LLC. and SWFA, Inc. have worked out in regards to a special Hide deal. </div></div>

How long, if I may ask, is the SH group buy going to be open??