• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Switched to Imperial?

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    I just used Imperial sizing wax for the first time, & I'm impressed with the ease of sizing, but how do you guys clean it off? I used some alcohol this time, but that is kind of tedious.
    Can I just drop the sized brass in my tumbler, or will it clump up my media?

Re: Switched to Imperial?

I size with a body die, then tumble, then brush out necks, and neck size and decap, then clean primer pockets.

Yep, I tumble mine w/corn cob and a little Dillon brass polish for 1-2 hours. If you want to load up right away, I was told to use lighter fluid (Naptha) on a paper towel to remove the wax.

Cheers,

Bill

I use mineral spirits "paint thinner" mixed in my corncob media to remove lube from my sized cases. I just put in about 2 tablespoons of the mineral spirits per tumbler-full of brass/media mix. Come back in a couple hours and you'll be amazed how clean your brass is. May want to let your brass air out for a little while afterward before priming. I don't think any residual fumes would affect the primers, but I don't take the chance. Never had any problems.

I use the old oil-type lube, like RCBS lube for my rifle re-sizing. I tried Hornady one-shot several times, followed the instructions to the letter, and still get nothing but stuck cases. I just don't understand how other folks can use it and run their rifle cases through a dillon 550b without problems. I intend to buy some Imperial and try that soon, just haven't gotten around to it.

Wipe it off with a rag - that's it. No chemicals. No difference on paper (or with rifle function) between wiping with or w/o chemicals...

Hexane will disolve it completely. Alcohol will not.(hexane is easily obtainable in hardware stores-it is however VERY BAD for your body)

I only apply Imperial Wax with my left pointer & thumb finger to each case around the neck shoulder junction. After sizing, each case gets a quick wipe with a towel dampened with Iso alcohol. Rinse & repeat until all cases are sized...

Should add: Less is MORE with Imperial and I haven't come close to sticking a case yet...

I have used it for years and NEVER used chemicals to remove it. Remember, it is a wax, not a petroleum based product. I just give mine a fast wipe with a dry paper towel.

A blue paper shop towel - straight up, no chemicals...

...if I remember. It ain't like you hoze down the whole case with the stuff, anywho.

YMMV.

Pardon my "new guy" question. I am just now getting things together to start reloading. I have the Imperial products to start with, so that is why I am asking this here.

Do you clean the wax off after sizing and before bullet seating? I have been under the impression that you do not remove the lubricant until the round is completely assembled; is that incorrect??? Do you not need the casing lubricated for bullet seating?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FoxtrotBravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pardon my "new guy" question. I am just now getting things together to start reloading. I have the Imperial products to start with, so that is why I am asking this here.

Do you clean the wax off after sizing and before bullet seating? <span style="color: #FF0000">yes</span> I have been under the impression that you do not remove the lubricant until the round is completely assembled; is that incorrect??? <span style="color: #FF0000">you can do it either way</span> Do you not need the casing lubricated for bullet seating?<span style="color: #FF0000"> NO </span></div></div>

I do it a different way first tumble the brass to clean it then use imperial to resize / deprime and then perform flash hole , oal addustments using a giraud etc
    then retumble the brass, clean it dray it then reload it ?

depending how much i apply to the cases, I either use a damp microfiber cloth or tumble them. results are the same wither way. but if the wax is slathered on there tumble them it easier to get them truly clean.

JeffVN

A microfiber cloth will take Imperial right off and leave the case squeeky clean - no need to tumble at all.

After sizing, I throw the brass in my drill, which has Lee's shell holder from the "lee Trimmer" and spin it quick and wipe it off as the drill is running, takes a second to do, and it warms up the brass to the touch and not only takes it all off, but leaves it nice and shiny! Link to what I'm talking about below...

Scroll down to the picture of the brass in the drill...It works great!

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1267241370.1487=/html/catalog/casecon.html

I am on my second can of Imperial Die wax in 10 years.
    I get some on my left fore finger and thumb, and renew that charge about every 3rd case.

I leave the wax on the ammo, and shoot it that way.
    I wipe my left hand on my pants.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Potlicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used it for years and NEVER used chemicals to remove it. Remember, it is a wax, not a petroleum based product. I just give mine a fast wipe with a dry paper towel. </div></div>

Also have used it for years. Keep it out of the case mouth otherwise it catches powder when you charge (or else you have to clean the mouth and inside-of-neck, which is another step and therefore bad). I, too, do the thumb and one finger application to neck and shoulder mostly (just a little on the case body), refresh what's on the finger tips every few rounds. Less on the case is better. I start with cleaned brass, lube up a whole bunch of them, then size them all. Once done, wipe briefly with an old tshirt or equally nondescript cloth and call it done.

I have noticed that there's some change to the wax as cases sit out. I.e., if I lube up 300 cases, the first ones seem to have a more difficult time than the last ones. Don't know if there's anything to "dry out" or whatnot, so maybe it's my imagination.

I wipe my cases with a cloth and use a brush to clean in the neck.
    About every 4 or 5 loads I tumble if the cases look dirty.
    I use corncob and that dillon's cleaning liquid sparingly.