• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Talk to me about this R700... a good buy/project .30-06 rifle candidate?

ChrisBCS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2014
I'm a newb to non-vintage/milsurp bolt actions... so I throw my lot to the court of SH opinion.

$399...

Clean, rust free, looks like it has been shot and loved. On consignment, shop owners vouch for consigner.

14059269369_0234ceff29_c.jpg

14059256809_47a30e9a71_c.jpg

14222738876_714ab2a673_c.jpg

14243678812_9b31b81856_c.jpg

14059245299_98ba9dd10d_c.jpg

Attachments

• 14059269369_0234ceff29_b.jpg
    14059269369_0234ceff29_b.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 15
I've had nothing but good luck with the old Remington 700's. With some tinkering and the right handload you can end up with a very accurate rifle. That looks like a good deal to me.

can't go wrong with buying a remy 700 in 06 for $399, even if you dont want an 06, you still have a good action and trigger to rebarrel in some other caliber.
i'd buy it and sleep good.
cheers

I need to bring a dollar bill with me next time. I looked very carefully and could not see any obvious barrel/stock contact.

I'm also reading anecdotes that the "B" prefix actions had the some of the truest faces.

What are the rest of the words on the barrel in the third picture before "free from"?

I think that is a VERY cool rifle at a decent price if it were here in GA (even though it's not a 280 rem yet, it could be)

It was obviously owned by someone who cared about it and was a shooter

Hart Barrels on Factory Remingtons???

I do not believe Hart barrels were put on factory 700s. I believe that is just one smith's proof mark. The whole "Hart barrel 700s" is an old wives' tale that cropped up from misunderstanding of information.

$400-500 is about going rate for an 80s ADL in good condition. If you have use for a .30-06 hunting rifle, or want to build off a Remington long action, I'd pick it up. If you don't intend to build and .30-06 isn't high on your list, I'd pass.

Thanks tyler, .30-06 is very high on my list. And, if I ended up doing a build, it would be a .30-06 Sprg anyway, requiring a long action. There's a big mushy spot in my heart for that cartridge. It's the all-American muscle car rifle cartridge.

Hart Barrels on Factory Remingtons???

I do not believe Hart barrels were put on factory 700s. I believe that is just one smith's proof mark. The whole "Hart barrel 700s" is an old wives' tale that cropped up from misunderstanding of information.

$400-500 is about going rate for an 80s ADL in good condition. If you have use for a .30-06 hunting rifle, or want to build off a Remington long action, I'd pick it up. If you don't intend to build and .30-06 isn't high on your list, I'd pass.

I respectfully disagree. If I am not mistaken the original M40's were built with Hart barrels and have that same valentine heart on the barrel. It is a known fact that Mike Walker of Remington was a big contributor of advice when Hart got started.

So... there's a heart where the smith's proof mark should be on a factory Remington-made 700. In the correct location.
There is a correct date code for a factory Remington barrel of September, 1984 ('D', 'E').

I'm a scientist and the weight of the evidence is that there was a smith at Remington with a heart for a personal proof mark in the early 1980's.

Talk to me about this R700... a good buy/project .30-06 rifle candidate?

I respectfully disagree. If I am not mistaken the original M40's were built with Hart barrels and have that same valentine heart on the barrel. It is a known fact that Mike Walker of Remington was a big contributor of advice when Hart got started.

You can disagree, but nowhere is there any evidence to support your claim. Yes, Walker helped Hart with the button-rifling process development in the 60s. Why would they delete the smith's proof mark, put a "heart" for Hart, never release any information, and charge the same 20 years later? Meanwhile it's on their lower-end factory rifle? If you can come up with some evidence from the horse's mouth, I will change my position. The facts all point to it was just a smith's proof mark.

ETA: it was the M40a1 that had a Hart barrel and it was installed by the Marine Corps, not Remington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Heck just buy it the action alone is worth that much. Take it home shoot it and go from there. It would look good in a HS hunting stock.

looks like a good rifle to me.

30-06 and some nice handloads is a great combo. I'd buy it, thats for sure. my dad has a late 70's or early 80s 700 BDL in 30-06 that is still one of the best shooting rifles i've ever used, so they have a soft spot in my heart.

Thanks everyone. I will have to wait until payday to put it on layaway, but I think I will snag it if it's still there.

Ok, a bit of backstory here. This was my first high power rifle as a kid. 700 long action, but chambered in 7 mm Rem mag. It was my hunting rifle. My father gave it to me. When he split, he took all the firearms in my mom's house with him (I was in college at that point, we weren't on speaking terms). That included my beloved 700 long action, and my very first firearm, a Savage .22/410 over under.

I walked into the shop during lunch one day, as I often do, to browse, it's a local mom and pop type place run by amazing folks, right across the street from work. This rifle bit me in the face.

To make things EVEN better, the rifle was made the same year I was born, 1984.

Just bought one in same chambering, but it was a late 70s rifle. What you have is a very nice shooter as it sits. I put a 12x Leupold on mine am running 110s Nd 155s- lack of a pad make me shy of heavy bullets. Does well at 100 with very little fuss about reloading.

Shoot is as is and keep for a hunter. Nice find at a good price. I paid $450 for mine.