• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tension on Atlas bipod too weak

goldeneagle

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2011
DE
Only complaint I have after switching from Harris to Atlas is the tension knob. I have searched and cannot find anyone else having the issue.
The podloc on my Harris was great. Find the desired cant and lock it down. Rock solid. The tension knob on my Atlas is cranked as tight as I can get it and the rifle will cant with little to no pressure from me.
I can't be the only one having this issue out here. Anyone have a solution?

Last edited:
Yeah, no slop. Was just expecting cant feature to lock up tight like the Harris. Not just get a little tighter. Love the bipod otherwise.

Mine get pretty tight. Tight enough so I can't move it from behind the rifle.

I have seen this issue on broken counterfeits that freely spin no matter what tension you put on the knob.

Contact B&T,

As it should lock up pretty tight, sounds like a counterfeit to me too as they have the bigger problem with the tension knob.

The new Atlas' lock up pretty good especially the PSR version as it has the two rubber stops that help it lock up. It should not move freely when tightening down, it should take some effort.

It's real. Just went down and checked it. Come to find out, tension knob was just unbelievably tight. I loosened it as far as I could and then I was able to tighten it more turning the other way. Locks up a lot better now.

The only Atlas that actually has a can't lock is the 5H one. The others are just a tension adjustment.

My Atlas did the same thing. As the tension reduced during use, I might have made it worse by moving the legs while the tension screw was turned down. Ended up sending it back for a repair and it's worked perfectly ever since.

I noticed the same behavior with my Atlas PSR. I tighten down the tension knob and I can still get the bipod to cant left or right from position. It's not easy, but it can be done, whereas with the Harris, it is rock solid. I bought mine from Brownells.

OP Thank you for your business! Yes its a Tension knob not a Lock knob and the arrow points in the direction to rotate knob to make tighter.

As a side note, some of the chicom "Chatlas" bipods are marked just like ours....

Did anyone ever resolve this?

I tighten mine all the way down and it's solid but then will become loose after no time.

I purchased mine from Core, so i hope it legit. :)

It is a tension knob, not a lock. That was all I got as a reason. It will bot lock it up tight.

OP, First, thank you for your patronage! As others have stated, it's a tension knob not a lock. However, with the knob "tight" (being turned in the direction of the arrow), it should not let the rifle Cant without Intentional pressure being applied. We will gladly inspect it it and see if it's out of specifications make any corrections and get it back to you ASAP.

Having said that, my way of thinking is all about maintaining SIGHT PICTURE, how does the rifleman obtain and RETAIN the proper sight picture if the bipod is "locked" after obtaining said sight picture? Meaning, you obtain desired sight picture through scope, then move a supporting hand to tighten bipod (any bipod that has the means to adjust tension) and to believe the sight picture is exactly the same as before adjusting tension is lost on me. There's going to be some movement when you release the rifle to adjust tension as well as some movement when bipod is adjusted. To "lock" the bipod prior to obtaining the desired sight picture is to suggest we live in a perfect world. We do not. This is my opinion and is reference to standard weight, low to mid caliber tactical rifles of 17 pounds or so shooting within their capabilities. "Extreme Long Range" is way outside my skill set and I'll not offer an opinion.

Also CORE is a dealer for us so I'm 99+% positive it is our bipod, simple heat sealed plastic bag with yellow instruction sheet. However, a picture tells the tale.