• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thank you Robert Gradous ...... AGAIN!

Bob L Swagger

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2010
Base of the Appalachians
Yep, that's right.. I did it again! This time it is a mid-weight whitetail hunting rifle chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua. Unfortunately I was unable to be present for the build, but I will be for the next one. The big brown truck showed up earlier this afternoon with a package from Mr. Gradous and oh boy was I pleasantly surprised when I opened the box, it felt like Christmas morning! The complete rig weighs in at 12.8 lbs with a loaded magazine, which seems like a feather compared to my tactical rig's. I quickly loaded up some rounds and headed to the range even though it was raining! I think just a little tinkering with the seating depth and not being in such a rush will produce better groups. I guarantee this rifle will shoot a heck of alot better than I did today! I look forward to testing it out on steel at a 975 yards next week.

Mr. Gradous explained this is the first 6.5x47 Lapua to be fully built on his HAAS CNC TL-1 lathe. He informed me this rifle has the spiral lock threaded tenon.

Thank you again for the great service and the excellent products you provide the shooting community!!

Specs:

Surgeon 591R
Surgeon DBM
Bartlein #3 1:8" finished at 24" .160 FB reamer 6.5x47 Lapua
Jewell trigger
McMillan A3 Sporter stock 50% olive / 25% black / 25% tan
All metal Cerakoted flat dark earth
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X50 MOAR HS ZS
Nightforce .885" UL rings
Holland bubble level
Atlas v8.1 bipod
TAB gear sling

Last edited:
Beautiful stick. Whitetails beware! Got a question for ya. I see you used new laua brass. Did you size them in any way before loading them? I was told to take a mandral to virgin brass and I'm awaiting one from sinclairs.

I am jealous beyond words. Not only is that a wonderous stick, you added two shots and only grew your group .10" on the second pic. In my wildest dreams that isn't possible. Congrats!

Beautiful stick. Whitetails beware! Got a question for ya. I see you used new laua brass. Did you size them in any way before loading them? I was told to take a mandral to virgin brass and I'm awaiting one from sinclairs.

Mike,

I ran them through my Redding neck sizer die to set them all to .289" (.002" of neck tension)

Bob

Nice gun Bob Mr Gradous has done it again for you. You now have another gun from him that shoots one hole groups. I look forward to having Mr Gradous building a rifle for me. his work is great on your other 3 rifles and I think this one is more my speed a hunting rifle I have shot all your other Gradous rifles and can't wait to shoot this one. You should be a good friend and let me use this new one on my Elk hunt this year. Looks a lot more accurate then my loose neck. Good luck.

Congratulations on the new acquisition! I'm sure you will grow to love that cartridge if you don't have one already. It's easily my favorite and I'm building my second one as we speak.

Nice gun Bob Mr Gradous has done it again for you. You now have another gun from him that shoots one hole groups. I look forward to having Mr Gradous building a rifle for me. his work is great on your other 3 rifles and I think this one is more my speed a hunting rifle I have shot all your other Gradous rifles and can't wait to shoot this one. You should be a good friend and let me use this new one on my Elk hunt this year. Looks a lot more accurate then my loose neck. Good luck.

C'mon get it... You know the combination to the safe! I better be getting some elk burgers out of it though!

Thanks for all the kind words fellas!

Beautiful rifle man! I think I am going to copy your color choices for stock and Cerakote. That looks great. So you are the reason I am waiting until Saturday to go pick up my rifle from Mr Gradous?

Beautiful rifle man! I think I am going to copy your color choices for stock and Cerakote. That looks great. So you are the reason I am waiting until Saturday to go pick up my rifle from Mr Gradous?

LOL....Nahhh.. I couldn't possibly be the reason for your delay.. According to the tracking, this rifle was sitting at the UPS hub since Friday night which means it was completed and shipped a few days before that. The holiday weekend delayed everyone...

Yeah, just messing with you. The only delay was me finding a Bartlein or Krieger barrel in a 10 twist for my .300 win mag that he is working on...Thank you Bugholes! He recieved my barrel and Badger knob today so I am crossing my fingers that it will be ready for me to pick up Saturday. I am SO excited...obviously, I driving 5 1/2 hours to get it, and pay him cash so my wife doesn't find out how much I am actaully spending and then driving 5 1/2 hours back home. I hate joint checking accounts!

Nice group shots(target and rifles!!)

Mr Gradous is great. His "build class" was a fantastic week where we put together a rifle and man does he build shooters!!

Looks like another winner Bobby! Guess you took a quick liking to the 6.5x47 Lapua cartridge. I can't say that I blame you. Great cartridge.

Looks like another winner Bobby! Guess you took a quick liking to the 6.5x47 Lapua cartridge. I can't say that I blame you. Great cartridge.

Lots of love for the 6.5x47! It's such a pleasure to shoot, can't wait to hunt with it!

I shot it over my magnetospeed yesterday and I was very happy with the results..

Running 37.4gr of Varget / CCI BR4's / 130 Berger hunting VLD bullets

10 shots averaged 2757fps with an SD of 4 and an ES of 15! (Min - 2750fps / Max - 2765fps)

I finally had an opportunity to try out this little hunting rifle to just shy of 700 yards on the 26th. I'm very happy with the results even though I pulled the second shot, I'm sure it will work out just fine for the upcoming NY whitetail season.

Last edited: