• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Barbecue Thread...Post Your Pics.

Re: The Barbecue Thread...Post Your Pics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread just ain't fair. When I moved earlier this month I ran out of space on the truck to bring my smoker along. My old neighbor got a hell of a present, but I'm smokerless for the time being. Still deciding what I'm going to replace that one with. I'll deffinately be going bigger, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of what I would like at the moment. </div></div>

you must be on another forum i'm on. i know i've read this somewhere else but can't remember where. </div></div>

I'm guessing your also on the Smoke Ring. I'm on there as Black Mtn. BBQ I just don't post there much.

THe one I left behind was an older New Braunfles offset considerably better quality than anything you can pick up localy. I'll either weld one up myself, or buy a larger unit of a proven design. Not really looking at another offset. This next one will likely be an insulated reverse flow cabinet smoker.

Re: The Barbecue Thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Vaq</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anthony20031</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do a pretty good smoked brisket using a dry rub of course salt, course black pepper, paprika, brown sugar and chili powder all in equla parts.

I usually get about a 5-6 lb brisket with good marbling on one side and the other at least a good 1/4 in of fat that I score down through to the meat in about 1 in squares. Then rub a lot of the rub onto the brisket, saran wrap it and put in the fridge overnight. Next morning pull it out and let it sit a little to get up to room temp and then throw in your smoker for about 7 hrs or so. I tend to use hickory for the brisket.

I don't have a smoker but I have a large charcoal grill that is drum shaped so I put the brisket on the same side as the smoke stack and put a pan underneath to catch any juices to use like an au jous and then the charcoal and wood go on the opposite side. Try to keep the temp around 220.

Haven't tried but am going to try to smoke a pork shoulder next weekend
smile.gif
</div></div>

Take some pics!!! </div></div>

Couldnt find pics but will be doing another brisket next weekend and will take pics of everything and the process
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Vaq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ready for the rub!
photo2-4.jpg

The dry rub. I think this brisket was around 15 lbs.
photo4-4.jpg

Topped with brown sugar.
photo4-3.jpg

Good smoke going.
photo1-2.jpg

Ready to be sliced. Smoked for about 12 hours with mesquite.
photo3-1.jpg
</div></div>

did u put bbq sauce or something over it there at the end? How much fat did you leave on there, seems like not that much but maybe the pics are deceiving? Also you don't score it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anthony20031</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Vaq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ready for the rub!
photo2-4.jpg

photo4-4.jpg

Topped with brown sugar.
photo4-3.jpg

Good smoke going.
photo1-2.jpg

photo3-1.jpg
</div></div>

did u put bbq sauce or something over it there at the end? How much fat did you leave on there, seems like not that much but maybe the pics are deceiving? Also you don't score it? </div></div>

I don't consider it a BBQ sauce. It's my dry rub combined with beer and some other ingredients to thicken it up a bit. It's more of a thick base. The brisket itself is a trimmed brisket. I don't smoke briskets with a lot of fat, Im not crazy about the fatty briskets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i love tri-tip. i cook it different ways depending on my mood. sometimes i will just grill it quickly directly over coals and other times i will cook it indirect for a longer period of time.

i HATE gas grills and love my webber. my girlfriend likes them. so, we still have a gas grill that she had when we met. i had about 14-15 lbs of tri-tip i needed to cook one night and had to be creative with the limited resources i had available. i used the gas grill to cook the meat slowly and finished it off on the webber to give it some smoke and color. i didn't hear any complaints that night about the food. then again, after the drinks start flowing and food is served, not too much complaining goes on anyways.

real basic seasoning. i prefer to taste the meat, not the seasoning.

tri-tip1-1.jpg

i hated to have to use the gas grill but a guy's gotta do what they gotta do.

tri-tip2.jpg

at least i got to use real fire for a few minutes.

tri-tip3.jpg

it was a success but i still have the urge to drag that gas grill to the bottom of the property, fill it with tannerite and shoot at it.

</div></div>

Have you ever smoked the tri tip for a few hours or do you just grill it?

Hi
My first post on the forum. I am salivating big time looking at all that good meat.

I have not got a fancy grill nor do I have a smoker. I do have a double door stainless chill that has decided that it does not want to chill any more, I intend to make it into a Smoker. I purchased it from Ebay UK, I am cheaper buying another as opposed to paying a refrigeration engineer a fortune to fix it.

Anyways sorry for getting side tracked.

Here is a picture of my Barbecue, well took me all of 5 minutes to find the bits and pieces to put together some chicken for some family that turned up on a nice sunny day in the Scottish Borders ( we do not get too many).

IMG_08271.jpg

Sorry for the small pic and the poor image. was taken a good few years ago with a poor camera.
It tasted delicious and a good feed was had by all present.

The nicest part of a Salad for me is to cut up a Gala apple as well as a ripe red sweet pepper, dice them into little squares and add Helmans mayonnaise or any other make of your choice.
I can guarentee at your next Barbecue, you will be pestered by all there to ask how you made this.

I am reading up on old posts in the Gun smithing section, I am gaining lots of great info on what to get to set up for barrel work on my Harrisson M300 Lathe.
I love the way you guys are so free with information to help us learners out. Here in the UK it is easier to find out the secrets of the Masonic lodge than have a Smith divulge his techniques.

Thank you greatly for sharing.

Found this on my digital camera from last Spring when we had some good friends over on their way to TX(PCS move break from Penn). There of course was lots of beer and other food served, but these were cooked with a nice walkaround made from Bulleit and ice.
The wood was charred oak barrel remnants, oak, and applewood soaked in bourbon, apple juice, and rub. It give a right nice taste to things like chicken an ribs

102_4111.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Vaq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Have you ever smoked the tri tip for a few hours or do you just grill it? </div></div>

i don't have a real smoker/cooker but i do slow cook tri-tip on my webber quite often though. i can keep the temp around 250 for hours so i think that more falls into the barbecue category. a 3 lb tri-tip usually takes a couple hours at those temps and turns out great. then again, straight up grilling them turns out great too.

I found this pic of a brisket I put in my grill to smoke. I always make sure to get one with good marbling and a good layer of fat on one side. You can see I scored the fat down to the meat on the fatty side...really helps to keep meat moist. I believe this one was around 7 lbs. I will be cooking one this weekend for a get together. I will post pics of the whole process that I go through.

brisket.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Vaq</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anthony20031</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Vaq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ready for the rub!
photo2-4.jpg

photo4-4.jpg

Topped with brown sugar.
photo4-3.jpg

Good smoke going.
photo1-2.jpg

photo3-1.jpg
</div></div>

did u put bbq sauce or something over it there at the end? How much fat did you leave on there, seems like not that much but maybe the pics are deceiving? Also you don't score it? </div></div>

I don't consider it a BBQ sauce. It's my dry rub combined with beer and some other ingredients to thicken it up a bit. It's more of a thick base. The brisket itself is a trimmed brisket. I don't smoke briskets with a lot of fat, Im not crazy about the fatty briskets. </div></div>

Ah ok it seemed thicker than just a normal dry rub. Why not the fatty ones? I tend to trim a lot of it but I tend to think it helps keep it moister, though you do use beer so I guess that replaces the juices from the fat. When I smoke it a lot of the fat kind of melts off and into the meat. I don't use any liquid at all just the rub.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anthony20031</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Vaq</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anthony20031</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Vaq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ready for the rub!
photo2-4.jpg

photo4-4.jpg

Topped with brown sugar.
photo4-3.jpg

Good smoke going.
photo1-2.jpg

photo3-1.jpg
</div></div>

I don't consider it a BBQ sauce. It's my dry rub combined with beer and some other ingredients to thicken it up a bit. It's more of a thick base. The brisket itself is a trimmed brisket. I don't smoke briskets with a lot of fat, Im not crazy about the fatty briskets. </div></div>

Ah ok it seemed thicker than just a normal dry rub. Why not the fatty ones? I tend to trim a lot of it but I tend to think it helps keep it moister, though you do use beer so I guess that replaces the juices from the fat. When I smoke it a lot of the fat kind of melts off and into the meat. I don't use any liquid at all just the rub. </div></div>

I've used your method and it works well. I'm just so used to doing it this way now it's second nature. When I first started smoking briskets I used to score the fat. It was just easier for me to buy it already trimmed. I pay the same amount of attention to the trimmed brisket as I did the fatty brisket, so it never dries out. For me it just works out. A lot of people in Texas call this style of barbecuing "The Texas Crutch".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i don't have a real smoker/cooker but i do slow cook tri-tip on my webber quite often though. i can keep the temp around 250 for hours so i think that more falls into the barbecue category. a 3 lb tri-tip usually takes a couple hours at those temps and turns out great. then again, straight up grilling them turns out great too. </div></div>

A Weber kettle works very well as a smoker! I use mine to smoke whole pork loins and have done whole chickens on it as well. Coals/wood on one side, meat on the other and the lid vent positioned above the meat. They'll hold temp for hours and a hinged grate makes adding fuel a breeze. They're actually great for a newcomer to determine if they have the patience for smoking as you can get the same results without investing in a larger smoker.

I love my Weber kettle.

+1 for the Weber kettle. My bride got me a new one for Christmas. I had two running at the same time in the backyard before the Saints game on Sunday. I injected two whole chickens and left them alone for 1+ hour. Man were they tender and juicy.

So how do you guys smoke your pork butts? We moved our big cookout to next weekend and I have been thinking about doing something besides the brisket and chicken that we normally do. I figured I would do the brisket and also some pulled pork.

I am going to get one and smoke it Sunday seeing I don't want next weekend to be my first attempt only to mess it up with everyone at the house lol

Pork butts = the longer, the better. Keep it 250-ish degrees, for as long as it takes to get the meat between 190-200 degrees...perfect for pulled pork. Careful to not oversmoke it.

JPipes what do you use. Like a rub or marinade etc. I was trying to find a rub or wondering if I should use the same one I currently use on my brisket...although for the get together next weekend I am not sure I want to have a brisket and pork butt with the same rub...would like something different in flavor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anthony20031</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how do you guys smoke your pork butts? We moved our big cookout to next weekend and I have been thinking about doing something besides the brisket and chicken that we normally do. I figured I would do the brisket and also some pulled pork.

I am going to get one and smoke it Sunday seeing I don't want next weekend to be my first attempt only to mess it up with everyone at the house lol </div></div>

If at all possible, get that pork butt on a rack above the brisket, the fat drips down as it renders and does magical things to the brisket. I use the same rub(s) on chicken, brisket and pork. The flavor of the meats will still yield different flavors in the finished products. The wonderful thing about a pork butt is that they're difficult to screw up. If you can smoke a brisket well, a pork butt will be child's play. They've got so much fat in them it's almost impossible to dry them out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anthony20031</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how do you guys smoke your pork butts? We moved our big cookout to next weekend and I have been thinking about doing something besides the brisket and chicken that we normally do. I figured I would do the brisket and also some pulled pork.

I am going to get one and smoke it Sunday seeing I don't want next weekend to be my first attempt only to mess it up with everyone at the house lol </div></div>

If at all possible, get that pork butt on a rack above the brisket, the fat drips down as it renders and does magical things to the brisket. I use the same rub(s) on chicken, brisket and pork. The flavor of the meats will still yield different flavors in the finished products. The wonderful thing about a pork butt is that they're difficult to screw up. If you can smoke a brisket well, a pork butt will be child's play. They've got so much fat in them it's almost impossible to dry them out. </div></div>

Ok yh I like to think I make a very good brisket. Actually the reason we are throwing this big gathering is some of wife's family came over to celebrate our first born and I made brisket. They loved it and told some other family members of hers and now they want to try it. So we will be having about 12-15 people over and I wanted to add something in addition to the brisket rather than just the normal whole chickens I do and figured I would try the pork butt seeing I have been wanting to do it. I figured that I would smoke one this weekend so that the following weekend at the gathering wouldn't be the first time. I have heard that they are a lot easier to do than brisket which is good. I guess I will just use the same rub that I do on the brisket. Going to have to see if I can fit the butt on the grate above the brisket...depending on the size it may not fit with the lid.

So just picked up the pork butt for my first attempt at making pulled pork.

Here it is, 6lbs:
PorkButt3.jpg

with the rub:
PorkButt2.jpg

and wrapped:
PorkButt1.jpg

So will take it out tomorrow and let it get to room temp and then into the smoker it goes...will post after pics
smile.gif
Already got a stogie and some whiskey ready
smile.gif

We smoked 3 Boston butts on our Weber Smokey Mountain cooker, aka the Bullet, for our Christmas dinner at my parents' house.

After rubbing them with coarse black and white pepper, salt, cayenne, and paprika, we brought them to room temperature.
1nA2y.jpg

A close-up.
BVLOa.jpg

Smoky.
7dnDb.jpg

On the smoker.
RdEIB.jpg

After resting.
EXjSz.jpg

EVFJX.jpg

Homemade bread for the sandwiches.
WI0fq.jpg

KtfJR.jpg

This thread is getting me pumped about my new smoker. We're building a reverse flow smoker cant wait to fire it up!!

Pans ain't long enough for real bread, especially sourdough
wink.gif
Yes, that is a half sheet pan in length, and half that pan wide. It made kick ass sandwiches, went good with steaks and whatever else too.

0825111236-00.jpg

I got tired of anything that looked even close to commercial and went midevil on my bread making. Sourdough starter is uh, going on about six months or more as of now, maybe older, can't remember, maybe a year old. I use a oven rock to bake it on and let the dough roll on corn meal so it doesn't stick. Usually when I do bread it's at least three to four loaves, but I was trying to go for a rustic, hard crust and did it with this one...flour and salt water did the trick well

Nice job on the sourdough, Switch. We too here have been doing that for some time. I whipped up a batch of starter this past spring, and have been working on our formula's.

My goal at the moment is Sourdough Kaiser buns. Just like 'em, is all.

We've got a fantastic recipe for Braised Ribs (we call it Braised Beast) that I want to make into sandwiches on these buns.

Next thing, you'll be working on 'Black Bread' and educating us further. Not a bad thing at all. I was bugging one of my bro's at our Christmas Mingle, when he was hacking on me/us for being in the kitchen. I told him 'any idiot can go out into the bush and get a deer/other game animal. It takes someone with talent to know what to do with it once they bring it back home!'

Got him good.

That sourdough is over a year old. I remembered last night that I made it before the new year and sent some out so a few friends could enjoy breaking good bread on New Years Day.
Hmmmm, black breads. I love some German style Pumpernickle but am the only one in the house that eats it. I have gone through a few recipes and made a wicked good dark bread that was tasty as hell, but it went south before I could finish it.

You will need:
four different grinds and types of flour(whole wheat, rye, winter wheat, white)
molasses
malt syrup
dark german beer
caraway is optional

The trick is getting the correct balance of molasses and malt syrup to get the taste right, as well as finding a good old fashioned recipe(like over 100 years old) to get the best flour mix ratio.
New recipes just don't match up to the stuff you can buy at an upscale market

Hell yeah, Switch that looks great! I'm just getting into breads; I've been making artisan-style boule, baguette, and vienna loaves for the last couple months. I decided to try regular white bread over the Christmas break, and since that turned out well we've given up buying any bread at the store.

I'm considering sourdough, but I hate that we'd have to waste so much starter. We don't eat enough bread to keep up with how much has to be taken out every few days and I absolutely despise wasting food. I'm working on a solution that involves donating extra loaves or selling them here at work though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pans ain't long enough for real bread, especially sourdough
wink.gif
Yes, that is a half sheet pan in length, and half that pan wide. It made kick ass sandwiches, went good with steaks and whatever else too.

0825111236-00.jpg

I got tired of anything that looked even close to commercial and went midevil on my bread making. Sourdough starter is uh, going on about six months or more as of now, maybe older, can't remember, maybe a year old. I use a oven rock to bake it on and let the dough roll on corn meal so it doesn't stick. Usually when I do bread it's at least three to four loaves, but I was trying to go for a rustic, hard crust and did it with this one...flour and salt water did the trick well </div></div>

I've been wanting to bake my own bread for a long time. Do you recommend a book or a good recipe to start out with?

The ultimate sin in barbecuing!!! It's too windy outside to barbecue my beer in the ass chicken. I dont want to risk cathing the neighbors yard on fire. I have to cook it in the oven
frown.gif
Damnit Boy!

photo1-9.jpg

photo2-9.jpg

photo4-8.jpg

3 hours later and it's done!!!!

photo1-11.jpg

I had to eat the wings first.

photo2-11.jpg

Here's a really good starting place:

http://www.amazon.com/Bread-Builders-Hearth-Loaves-Masonry/dp/1890132055

Understanding the science behind bread is also a part of the art too. Remember, milks contain sugars, malt syrup and molasses are both invert sugars. These will make the bread sweet, and brown. Whole wheat rough cut and fine cut flours are super as are bread flours and semolina flours. Bread flour is the stuff you throw on the wooden board to knead your dough with, and also makes the best backbone of your loaf.
Eggs offer flavor and leavening, the stuff that makes bread rise adn aireate. Too much or too much time and the loaf is too open, too little, and it is heavy and closed.
Beers, brewing grains, all good stuff and quite tasty in a loaf too.
There are so many great things and ways to make great breads. Me, I have the volumnous Culinary Art books, many many old cook books, specialty books, cake books, and books of 'the trade'. I lack one really great bread book though because when I make bread, I just look what I got, grab some starter and rock on with whatever is in the cabinet...that is unless I am out to make something special, then I find a recipe online and use it as a base making my own adjustments becasue, well, that's how I cook. It's a love thing. Love the dough, love making it, love the scents and feel, let it all come together and what comes out of the ovven is just amazingly good.

This is also a good start too:

In a warm glass or ceramic mixing bowl, combine 2 cups warm water (85 degrees F), 2 cups all-purpose flour, and one (1) packet of Mister Baker's San Francisco sourdough yeast culture. Stir the flour and yeast mixture until smooth.

Cover the bowl. Put in a warm (85 degrees F), draft free location for at least 1-1/2 to 3 days. The mixture will bubble and expand, and have a fresh yeasty aroma to it. Stir the active mixture 2 or 3 times each day with a clean wooden spoon.

When ready, stir the mixture, and then transfer it to a clean wide mouth glass jar or crock (with a glass or plastic lid). Refrigerate the mixture for a few more days to develop a stronger sourdough flavor.

Congratulations. You have just made your first "mother starter" for baking San Francisco Sourdough Bread.

Sourdough Starter may be used and replenished indefinitely, and it improves with age.

Replenish it and let it grow:

Replenish your sourdough starter every two weeks, whether you bake or not. If you have removed some starter for baking, replace the amount that you removed, with equal amounts of flour, warm water and 1 teaspoon of sugar or honey.

Stir well and let stand at room temperature, lightly covered for 8 to 12 hours, or until fermentation is resumed again, and the mixture bubbles.

Stir again before returning to your active San Francisco sourdough starter to the refrigerator.

Classic San Francisco Sourdough French Bread Recipe

Ingredients:
2 cups warm water (about 110 degrees F)
7-1/2 cups to 8 cups all-purpose Flour, unsifted
1 cup Mister Baker's San Francisco sourdough starter batter at room temperature
2 teaspoons plain or iodized salt
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
Bread Baste or Wash Recipe: 1 teaspoon cornstarch brought to a boil with 1 cup water,
then cooled to room temperature. See step #5.
Hot water for the oven as required. See step #4.

Method:
In a large mixing bowl, combine water, sourdough starter batter and 4 cups of the flour. Mix well and cover with clear plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place (85 degrees F) 8 to 12 hours.

Stir in salt, sugar and enough remaining flour (about 4 cups) to form a very stiff dough. Knead until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (2 to 2-1/2 hours).

Punch down and divide in half. Knead gently until smooth. Shape each half into loaf or round shape. Cover the sourdough bread loaves lightly; let them rise in a warm place until puffy and almost doubled in size (1 to 1-1/2 hours).

Carefully place a small pan on the shelf, below the oven baking rack, and fill it with hot water.

Place your sourdough bread loaves on the baking rack, close the oven door and bake in a preheated (400 degree F) oven for 10 minutes. Then brush your sourdough bread loaves with the baste mixture. Close the oven door and continue baking for 20 to 25 minutes more until the loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped.

Nothing can compare to the taste of a warm, fresh baked loaf of sourdough bread right from your own oven. The kitchen filled with the wonderful aromas of fresh baked bread. Hmmmm...!!!

Remove the loaves from the oven and place on a cooling rack until cooled down to room temperature. Now for the hardest part of all in this baking recipe. Allow your loaf to cool completely (about 2 hours) before cutting into it. A loaf of sourdough bread is not fully flavored until it is fully cool. Also, bread is much easier to slice when cool.

Suggestion:

Make the loaf or two in a baguette form, i.e., about 2' long, and 1.5" wide. Before you put it in the oven, while it's proofing, go out to th egood market and buy a few good beers, a small bit of Irish Cheese, maybe a small triangle of Brie, and maybe a small bit of Stilton Blue. Now take that baguette out of the oven, and let it cool...the beer will get nice and cold while you wait a bit. Take out a beer, put the cheese on a board, and get out the long board for the bread. Cut a few slices, crack open the bber, slice a bit of cheese, put it on a slice of bread, and enjoy it. Take a good swallow of the beer. See how good it tastes? Of course you do! THIS is what we call LUNCH. Proper!

I am truly stunned by the size of the "smokers" you guys use over there I have never seen anything like it.
As for the food it cooks sure looks fantastic.

Food looks good... Going to have to try some of them recipes.

there are some good lookin' examples here!
Have to highly recommend brining a turkey (with that linked solution) and then smoking over applewood with a bit of pecan in the first two hours. Sorry no pics of that right now.

anybody with a favorite smoked macaroni/cheese recipe? that is on my to-do list.

I am continually underwhelmed at best with ribs at restaurants/smokehouses and being annoyed at paying $$ for the disappointment-enough to have sworn off ribs nearly for good. After buying a smoker and having so much fun with it, I decided to revisit ribs...this was the first go at if-you-want-it-done-right-do-it-yourself. 6 hours oak/mesquite, Tony Chachere's creole seasoning on a whim. No sauce, I think my wife cried a little while we were eating-I may have too.
aSRBj.jpg

Venison back straps.

Rub recipe:
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 teaspoons celery salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Grilled over an oak and apple wood fire, while sipping Templeton Rye...

venison_back_straps_011612.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OinCO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there are some good lookin' examples here!
Have to highly recommend brining a turkey (with that linked solution) and then smoking over applewood with a bit of pecan in the first two hours. Sorry no pics of that right now.

anybody with a favorite smoked macaroni/cheese recipe? that is on my to-do list.

I am continually underwhelmed at best with ribs at restaurants/smokehouses and being annoyed at paying $$ for the disappointment-enough to have sworn off ribs nearly for good. After buying a smoker and having so much fun with it, I decided to revisit ribs...this was the first go at if-you-want-it-done-right-do-it-yourself. 6 hours oak/mesquite, Tony Chachere's creole seasoning on a whim. No sauce, I think my wife cried a little while we were eating-I may have too.
aSRBj.jpg
</div></div>

Those ribs look tasty! If you boil the macaroni then combine it in a heat resistant dish with your ingredients you can now smoke it covered with foil. Make sure there is enough liquid so it doesn't dry out. An hour of smoke should be good.

I started prepping late for two pork picnics. Been in the smoker since noon today.

Firing up the mesquite!!!

photo1-14.jpg

Rubbed down

photo2-14.jpg

In the smoker

photo3-11.jpg

2 hours later

photo4-10.jpg

I'll post the finished product when they're done.

i say it at work all of the time. i wish the whole damn pig was made of bacon. though i do like ham and chops, they aint bacon...

i have an orion cooker. 20# turkey in 2 hrs. 2 butts in 4 hrs. 6 slabs of rib in 1.5 hrs.
not a defined smoke ring but fallin apart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Vaq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone smoked a whole slab of unsliced bacon? I've heard of it done up north and wanted some feedback on how it came out. I deal in the sqeel!!!! </div></div>

Anyone out there ever smoke a whole slab of whole bacon? Guess I'll have to do it blindly.

Bacon is like any other meat to a smoker. If you want it smoked for the flavor so you can slice it and cook it later on, go with about an hour or two max, cool smoke about 100* - 150* You do not want a hot smoke like you use for a pork butt or brisket or ribs. Remember, you are curing the meat first with a brine of sea salt, water, peppercorns, allspice, cloves, maple sugar, you know, curing it. Then you smoke it for a couple hours. Now you go some damn good bacon that you can cut nice and thick for breakfast.
Now if you got a slab of pork belly that is uncured, you have options, but to do anything but make some fine bacon with would just be uncivilized. Peppercorn layers, layers of clove and nutmeg, chili pepper and maple sugar, many fine recipes for different rubs and stuff for some really cool bacon.
Why ya askin?