• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Fix from Q

It limits the ability to run heavy for caliber bullets in almost every short action cartridge.

Why, if they are so forward thinking, would they hamstring their own design with a 2.820" magazine when the work around is so easy?

Might as well slow twist them too.

Any factory ammo will fit. Only very heavy or exotic bullets might have an issue, but since you are hand loading these you can adjust. You are saying the rifle will not be successful and is not future proof specifically because of the magazine they chose to use. I have a very hard time believing this. I am glad they used MagPul mags, because I have a bunch that I use in my LMT, but I would be perfectly content if they used AICS too.

You are putting words in my mouth and have a hard time believing them. Pretty funny.

The Fix seems to be a nice rifle with a major flaw in my book. Maybe not in yours.

Bullets are getting longer from 110 SMK's to 147 ELD's neither of which are exotic.

The Fix is neither a common man's rifle or "The Fix".

For a company that is supposedly looking to the future and coming up with a "fix" for the tried and true bolt action rifle, they sure screwed the pooch by not going with AICS mags.

Pretty cool little rifle other than that.

I apologize if I misunderstood. They are doing something innovative within the realm of bolt rifles. It is still a bolt gun, so not fundamentally different from any other bolt gun. It will not be perfect, it will not replace every other rifle. If they can execute and deliver what they promised, their system could be a single bolt rifle system for a lot of people and replace a few guns. To that goal the magazine they used is not a hindrance.

But the mag they used is a hinderance to shooters elsewhere. Sounds like we agree here.

My point is that an AICS mag gives a guy options to do everything a guy would want to do. Wanna have a Fix 6br? Mag and bbl change. Wanna .223 trainer? Bolt, mag and bbl. Howsabout a 7-08 and 180 VLd's? .260 and 140 ELD's? Nope. None of it. All because of a stupid mag choice.

Which Magpul magazine is it cut for? The AICS or the M110? I use the Magpul AICS mags in my MPA chassis and they feed perfectly. I much prefer them over AICS mags because they feed so much smoother.

John

Best I can tell, it will work with all AR-10/LR-308 magazines which is fine by me. I have a bunch of them already and compatibility with my LR-308 is a nice thing. I do not own anything with AICS magazine, that would not have helped me. While I understand it gives you a little more available length, it is a small enough difference to not matter to me and, I suspect, there are a lot of people like me.

As a general consideration, I do not think this rifle was intended to eek out the last bit of performance from short magnums or anything like that. It is supposed to work will all the 308 family cartridges which it likely will. I ordered the 308 version and will probably add a 6.5x47 barrel later, but that remains to be seen.

My primary interest in this rifle was how light it was for a precision gun. If I ever decide to shoot matches, I have a heavier DTA for that and I can use that to get the most out of non-standard loads. The Fix will be used for some precision, some hunting, etc.

To each his own, of course.

ILya

After reading a post on here I have looked up the Merkal KR1. There are some distinct similarities surrounding the bolt slide rails. You could certainly state they haves fixed the issues of the KR1 :D

No wonder Q were in Germany the other day...

Has your rifle arrived yet ILya?

After reading a post on here I have looked up the Merkal KR1. There are some distinct similarities surrounding the bolt slide rails. You could certainly state they haves fixed the issues of the KR1 :D

No wonder Q were in Germany the other day...

Has your rifle arrived yet ILya?

Not yet. Then again, I have never seen any new product arrive on time within the gun/knife world. If it shows up before the end of the summer, it will beat my expectations by several months.

ILya

Reactions: Just Macca
I have no problem with the mag choice. In fact I think its perfect for this rifle.

Given the overall weight, length and mag choice.... the focus of this rifle is not of a long range precision shooter. I think it could very well be the perfect midrange bolt gun inside of 1K. Bullets suited to a lightweight rifle and this range need not be huge of BC or weight. Chamber one in 6/6.5x47 and the bullet length vs mag internal vs performance goes away completely.

The Lapua cartridges would be a sweet spot that is for sure.

It would be a killer little .223AI if it had the mags to feed it.

Curious how much room it would have cost them to go with AICS mags. Thirty to forty thou? And a $40-$60 per mag increase on a $2,800 rifle?

It would be a killer little .223AI if it had the mags to feed it.

They just teased a smaller .223 Rem and 300 Blackout model that will drop at SHOT. Was mentioned at the PRS match in NH as well.

Personally, if the Fix had the magazine capabilities of the Ruger Precision, I think that would be amazing.

I will laugh my ass off if they go with AR mags there.

And I bet they do.

The recoil from the video of Colin shooting it seems pretty bad, guess it's a trade off for a lightweight, compact rifle.

Yeah, thats the downside to a lightweight rifle, slower repeat shots because it moves around a lot, there is no getting around it. Hunting rifle, absolutely, sniper type work, not so much, IMHO.

I have no problem with the mag choice. In fact I think its perfect for this rifle.

Given the overall weight, length and mag choice.... the focus of this rifle is not of a long range precision shooter. I think it could very well be the perfect midrange bolt gun inside of 1K. Bullets suited to a lightweight rifle and this range need not be huge of BC or weight. Chamber one in 6/6.5x47 and the bullet length vs mag internal vs performance goes away completely.

I was thinking a 6 dasher or a 6x47 myself for this light a rifle. Tooley is doing the barrels.

I just don't get the hate over the magazine choices. It's like hating a Glock because you already own an M&P and the mags don't fit..... or a SCAR17 and a AR308

A Tooley chambered 6x47 slinging a 110SMK would be epic!!!

All in due time guys.
I'm down sizing to a new shop 50% bigger than what I have now. This is the new shop a couple of weeks ago and a view from the beer and bullshit area on the water. I've started setting up shelving and should have power on any day. I didn't know how much shit you pack into a place until I started packing 40 years of reloading stuff. I hope to pull the plug on the machines in about 3 weeks just in time for hurricane season. It won't take long to get the bare essentials up and running. Already had a bear walk through the backyard by the dock. 20 years in the making, 3 months of looking and 5 minutes to make the decision.

Attachments

• photo66540.jpg
    photo66540.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 166
  • photo66541.jpg
    photo66541.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 157
  • photo66542.jpg
    photo66542.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 147
Looks like a very nice slice of heaven you have there sir.

The Tuskans should be so lucky!

Are the Tuskans looking for a Mid Range Precision rifle "system" that is sorta a hunting rifle but when it comes to "sniper type work" it's not so much cut out for it?

I think maybe they found their rifle if that is the case.

The color coded for caliber thing is great though. Sure hope .300 BO gets the pink acoutrements but I bet it goes to 6.5 Grendel.

Tuskans do need more accurate rifles for raids. This would fit the bill for them and many other beings... just not everyone...

I'll probably end up with one of each if they work out.

Tuskans do need more accurate rifles for raids. This would fit the bill for them and many other beings... just not everyone...

I'll probably end up with one of each if they work out.

You'd only need one if they got the mags right.

That gimmicky adjustable recoil pad thing sure would wear a guy out. Sure looks cool on social media though.

Maybe a guy could order a few of their cool t shirts before the rifle comes out with the plans of wearing two or three. Maybe throw in a few extra to help the cheek weld on the CA legal Honey Badger.

Can't rush perfection.

Maybe I'll buy one in each caliber so I don't have to adjust it.... solutions abound... laughing here...

btw... I already have magazines for how it is configured....so....

You do? Not possible! They are wrong magazines, throw them out. As the matter of fact the whole rifle is crap since the magazine is clearly all wrong. Now, if the magazine was 0.03" longer, that would change everything....

Sooooo, I'm not a shill for the company, but they seemed like really good guys when I met them at the New England PRS match and I hate to see them get beat up here. The Industrial Designer was shooting the Fix and all of the folks from Q that came out for the awards (including Brittingham - have you ever seem anyone else who owns a company show up at the prize table?) were very friendly and approachable. They let all of us shooters finger the hell out of their baby and answered a lot more questions than I expected from a company that is on the leading edge of a very competitive marketplace.

That said, this website caters to a pretty unique crowd. I seem to recall from previously released info on the Fix that a couple of the key players in the design team were former operators at a high level. Now, I don't know what their experience or knowledge of PRS shooting is, but it seems pretty reasonable to me that the idea of using the ubiquitous (let's face it, there must be orders of magnitude more AR-15 magazines out there than .223 Rem AICS ones, and I would venture the same is true to a lesser extent of the 7.62 mm brethren) would have made a lot of sense to some guys who's world view was shaped by operations (where I would imagine a single magazine system for all their weapon systems would be tremendous a bonus.) Add to that the intention to make this the everyman's rifle (whether or not the price is YOUR idea of the everyman notwithstanding...) it makes perfect sense to go with a known commodity for magazines.

Now the issue most of us HERE ON THE HIDE care about is COAL. But honestly, how many guys who drop more than $3000 on a rifle actually reload? Not just your buddies, or what you think the shooting community looks like. Think about all the guys with slick hunting rigs that go on one or two high end hunts every couple of years. Or the weekend warrior with the latest and greatest LaRue AR. There are probably more WAY folks like that out there than PRS-focused folks who inhabit the Hide. So, yeah, I can see this being a very acceptable market decision for them.

At the end of the day I see the magazine decision as bad FOR ME because of how I would want to use the rifle. Especially for the .308 bolt face models. But for a .223 bolt face model, I might just be able to get behind a very slick looking, innovative but not perfect new design. That uses the metric (I'm Canadian) shit ton of AR mags I have.

YMMV.

Anybody ever figure out what The Fix is?

Mid range hunting rifle system anyone?

It seems like they are aiming for PRS stuff to me.

Can I get a pump pillow with blue trim and a cynical quote from an old guy on it please?

Bet I'd get it before I get a Fix.

Modular rifle + modular mag = win

Laugh it up Fuzzball! ;)

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4337\/35521289814_c1ab56aa12_k.jpg"}[/IMG2]

The Fix for The Fix.

I can trim your brass for you Eagle. Neck concentricity is a bit hard to get a handle on and neck tension kinda sucks, but it'll put you in tall cotton.

Bet I'd get it before I get a Fix.

Well, if you shoot as good as you talk, you could have picked one up off the prize table at the New England PRS match..... ;-)

You could already be accessorizing it!

Boonie hats.

Q Boonie hats with that blue trim and a big "Q" logo and nothing else. Only mid range rifle system guys would know what it meant and they'd nod at each other as they passed at PRS events like two solo bikers on hogs.

Respect.

A pillow pump forearm bash might even become a thing but probably too soon at this point.

Lapua brass does not require trimming and has excellent neck tension. Use it all the time.

PRS matches are a whole lot of fun. I think The Fix would work well.

Still holding out for a real review instead of misguided speculation. I do have the utmost confidence in the barrels with Mr. Tooley involved.

Color choice is a personal thing. A buddy of mine just had a new PRS rifle built in a bright red MPA chassis. It's damn sharp!!!

Lapua brass does not require trimming and has excellent neck tension. Use it all the time.

I just don't get the hate over the magazine choices. It's like hating a Glock because you already own an M&P and the mags don't fit..... or a SCAR17 and a AR308

Are you a designer at Q?

Cause that would explain a ton.

(Can I have a free shirt?)

That would be a stylist by your reckoning.

Nope, in fact I never cared for AAC products, or SIG cans. This is the first thing that Mr. Brittingham has done that actually has my attention as far a product goes.

Nothing in life is free.

Hey Confuscious, how many guys are running SR25 mags at PRS events?

Maybe a new guy with a Ruger here and there?

Just wondering.

(Can I get a boonie hat then?)

All the guys that run large format gas guns.... and a lot of the Ruger guys.

I run ARC mags. before that AX mags. possibly SR25 mags next.

Well, it looks like my rifle is in the batch that is currently being wrapped up, so hopefully I will receive it fairly soon. Then, of course, after it gets to my FFL and I sign the papers, it will spend ten days in California's gun purgatory before I can take it shooting.

If all goes well, I will have some first impression around middle of September.

ILya