• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

Just got it mounted and with 10 different profiles I should be set for my 5 calibers. B&T Leveraged Rail BT43 and the Spuhr A-0032
View attachment 8366608
Fondled one of those yesterday. Is that the stock mount that makes it sit up so high on the rail? Be nice if it sat a little lower. Has any one thought to mount on the side of the forend?
What are people using for slings? As in actually in the field carrying this beast for hours.
I have carried for coyotes in an eberlestock backpack and it was fine, sling wise I have a padded backpack sling that works awesome, otherwise a 2 point and AR carry style works well too. Its heavy but not as heavy as carrying sleeping children for hours so I'm used to it haha

Reactions: BURZ
Hi,

Does anyone know about any aftermarket rear stock that fits MRAD? I saw a video on YouTube where it was fitted a stock that had more adjustment. Particularly that you could rotate the recoil pad. I feel for my own part that the rifle twist into my shoulder pit when I shoot with 338. It also looked much better.

The MK22 comes with the Armageddon Gear Precision Rifle Sling. I bought it but can't say I've used it yet. All decked out my MRAD is 26 lbs.

That sling is ok. It's not my favourite but it works. I'm not a fan of those slings that have a bunch of loose straps and tensioning parts flapping around. The Magpul MS1s are the go to normally. They work for retention, carry and unsupported positions without having having loose bits about.

Reactions: BURZ
Reactions: earthtrekker1775
Just received a .308 Win barrel for the MRAD from a vendor, and realized that the barrel has a 1-8 twist as opposed to the 1-10 twist that I have had in the past. Since I shoot mostly 185gn Berger OTM's, I ran the calculator on Berger's website and the stability factor is well above 2. Also, will heavier bullets, like the 245 or 230 gn Berger bullets even fit the magazines, let alone the capacity of the cartridge brass? Looks like powder charge may be a problem with volume fill.
Figured that you guys with more experience, might be able to assuage my concerns.......Thanks

Not really your question at all, but the factory 1:8tw shoots FGMM 168gr lights out, at least close in.

To me it just seems like Barrett didn’t bother buying any stock for their .30cal inventory other than 1:8tw.

Last edited:
Not really your question at all, but the factory 1:8tw shoots FGMM 168gr lights out, at least close in.

To me it just seems like Barrett didn’t bother buying any stock for their .30cal inventory other than 1:8tw.
That may very well be the case about inventory. Waiting to hear from Barrett on this.

Just received a .308 Win barrel for the MRAD from a vendor, and realized that the barrel has a 1-8 twist as opposed to the 1-10 twist that I have had in the past. Since I shoot mostly 185gn Berger OTM's, I ran the calculator on Berger's website and the stability factor is well above 2. Also, will heavier bullets, like the 245 or 230 gn Berger bullets even fit the magazines, let alone the capacity of the cartridge brass? Looks like powder charge may be a problem with volume fill.
Figured that you guys with more experience, might be able to assuage my concerns.......Thanks
Hey mate;

The bergers are totally sick through the 1/8
We've been pushing them out to 1000y in the 17" with the Factory GMM ammo loaded with the 185s.
The kestrel has us trans at 800m and sub at 1000m in standard atmospherics.

The heavy bullets will fit your magazine, but it'll depend on just how long you want to go. Having said that. We compared the 185s to 200, 208 and a bunch of other heavies and the design of the 185s is so good that they typically performed better than the BA predicted and made the 208s etc very very similar to the 185s. So much so we just gave up on trying to get the heavies to fit typical mag length and just went with the 185s.

We haven't done the Ammo test in the 17" barrel yet due to the primer shortage but the 16.5" will be close enough for comparison's sake.

Attachments

• 308 load data.jpg
    308 load data.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 35
  • MRAD.jpg
    MRAD.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 37
Hey mate;

The bergers are totally sick through the 1/8
We've been pushing them out to 1000y in the 17" with the Factory GMM ammo loaded with the 185s.
The kestrel has us trans at 800m and sub at 1000m in standard atmospherics.

The heavy bullets will fit your magazine, but it'll depend on just how long you want to go. Having said that. We compared the 185s to 200, 208 and a bunch of other heavies and the design of the 185s is so good that they typically performed better than the BA predicted and made the 208s etc very very similar to the 185s. So much so we just gave up on trying to get the heavies to fit typical mag length and just went with the 185s.

We haven't done the Ammo test in the 17" barrel yet due to the primer shortage but the 16.5" will be close enough for comparison's sake.
Thank you for the very detailed information Zig. I was able to speak with a rep. from Barrett and he confirmed to me that there is absolutely no problems with the 175's and 185 gn bullets using the 1-8 twist. Like you, it seems that using the heavy's is kind of a waste of material that may be better suited to magnum applications as opposed to the 308 Win.
I did try a volume fill with some LC brass for some of the 210gn's that I had, and it wasn't a problem, but since I use the 185's why mess with success?
I suspect the change to the 1-8 twist is due to military contracts. Thanks again Zig.

Alright dudes, real talk here, we are having some serious problems with the MRAD/Mk22 as a platform.

We got in a MRAD setup per the US Army's Mk22 PSR - Badger Mounts, Mark 5 5-25 scope, Larue/Harris bipod.
This thing created quite a bit of excitement when we got it and people were keen as hell to get on it.... but now everyone hates it. Which in and of itself isn't an issue. The typical shooter is experienced both on the trigger and behind chassis - but there's clearly something we are missing. In the interest of learning, I just want to share some of the problems we are seeing and see if there's a common error or philosophy we are missing.

Never done an accuracy 1st course but have been listening to Todd Hodnett talk on shooting since the OG Magpul vid and it's interesting to me that Todd would be involved with Kevin Owens speccing out this rifle, to have a 14" LOP minimum on the MRAD when his belief (or at least up to the podcasts etc i've listened to) has been that shorter is typically better.

Attached is a picture that hopefully helps illustrate some of what the issues are - if i don't reply it's because Industrial Light and Magic has picked me up as a special effects and computer graphics design artist......

Primary issue is the LOP. Most problems can be traced back to this. Height of shooters is between 6'2 and 5'4". Typical LOP on pers guns is hovering around that 12.5" to 13" mark. In order to reach the trigger, the shooter has to reach forward as it's a considerable distance away from the shoulder compared to other guns. This causes the position to collapse as the shooter can't be built up on the elbows like normal. This is the route of all other problems;

To cycle the bolt, the shooter has to reach for the bolt handle and typically uses their whole arm to cycle the bolt. This is causing the position to break. As the shooter is typically uncomfortable to begin with, rebuilding the position is generally inconsistent and is resulting in .3MOA shooters spitting out 1.5 MOA groups. This is the worst for the shorter members.

We get people to self report where the crosshairs settled after the shot as a diagnostic tool. Ability to spot shots is compromised and we are seeing lateral stringing. We are attributing this to the longer LOP causing people to blade off OR, cant their body as the non-master arm controls the butt, the shoulder is rising up, conversely to the master arm reaching for pistol grip is causing that shoulder to drop low. We are also seeing the torso "Curl" to meet the gun.

The recoil is sending the gun left for our righties.... which fortunately all of our shooters are. Stick that in your DEI pipe and smoke it. In researching this issue, I came across this vid by Bryan Litz. Whilst the group isn't stringing, the rifle going to the left under recoil is similar.

By not being able to build up the position, and reduce the LOP, shooters positions are collapsed, making them quite low to the ground. The size of the MRAD in it's height is now causing the head to "cock" back in order to place the cheek on the cheek piece. Typical complaint here is the cheek piece is too wide and the rear of the cheek piece is squared making the cheek piece uncomfortable. This is causing neck strain as the neck is kinked. People are lowering the bipod to such an extent that the pistol grip is almost, or is touching the ground.

This low position is causing an exaggerated "chicken wing" with the shooting arm, raising it higher and causing the wrists to kink. Sustaining the prone position is untenable and in some instances, the trigger control is compromised as the tendons in the wrist become strained. The solution here is to push the LOP out LONGER. Making all other issues worse.

Which then flows onto eye relief issues. The long LOP, the height and the cocking of the head to reach the cheek piece, is requiring the Optic to be moved as far rear as physically able. Unfortunately, though there more space to add more rail, the rail stops short and eye relief can't be obtained.

When not in prone and in upright positions like off a tripod, we are seeing the guys "blade off", rather than be square behind the gun as it's easier to get eye relief when you're "next to" the gun, as opposed to being square behind it. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as groups have been consistently within the acceptable margins as the weight of the gun and the tripod are doing a lot of work, but follow up shots and self spotting are delayed or not achievable as the gun torques off target due to the shooters bladed stance and off square shoulder connection. That LOP comes up again as the head needs to be dropped down onto the cheek piece and sustaining this position isn't optimal for most shooters compared to the neutral head and body position afforded by the AIs

We shoot sling with the precision guns in training and yeah.... forget it.

This all could be training and familiarity issues or type A personalities not wanting to change, but when I requested a bloke come and shoot the MRAD to see if we could nut out these issues a bit more, the response I got was "why?". And fucked if I can come up with an answer.

Everyone went back to the Surgeons or the AIs as they feel better to use and people get better results.

I'm fortunate to be taller, so a lot of the problems aren't AS bad for me, but i definitely don't consider the MRAD to be a comfortable gun to shoot by any means.

As i said, there's got to be something I'm missing. What is the philosophy behind this rifle's design? Is anyone else experiencing any of these issues? What were your fixes? Conventional thinking seems to be shorter LOP is better. I don't shoot PRS but I know a few guys that do and all the free T&E that occurs in the precision shooting world is leading people to chase shorter LOPs, yet the latest and greatest purpose built govt precision guns are going the other way?

What's up? What can I change?

Attachments

• yowhat.jpg
    yowhat.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 69
  • cant.png
    cant.png
    927.5 KB · Views: 66
  • curling.jpg
    curling.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: MxTexas
I’m 5’9” with proportional features and while the 14” LOP on the MRAD is fucking dumb, I can still shoot a half inch group without issue. Yes, the optic is fairly far rearward though I have no issues with eye relief.

Alright dudes, real talk here, we are having some serious problems with the MRAD/Mk22 as a platform.

We got in a MRAD setup per the US Army's Mk22 PSR - Badger Mounts, Mark 5 5-25 scope, Larue/Harris bipod.
This thing created quite a bit of excitement when we got it and people were keen as hell to get on it.... but now everyone hates it. Which in and of itself isn't an issue. The typical shooter is experienced both on the trigger and behind chassis - but there's clearly something we are missing. In the interest of learning, I just want to share some of the problems we are seeing and see if there's a common error or philosophy we are missing.

Never done an accuracy 1st course but have been listening to Todd Hodnett talk on shooting since the OG Magpul vid and it's interesting to me that Todd would be involved with Kevin Owens speccing out this rifle, to have a 14" LOP minimum on the MRAD when his belief (or at least up to the podcasts etc i've listened to) has been that shorter is typically better.

Attached is a picture that hopefully helps illustrate some of what the issues are - if i don't reply it's because Industrial Light and Magic has picked me up as a special effects and computer graphics design artist......

Primary issue is the LOP. Most problems can be traced back to this. Height of shooters is between 6'2 and 5'4". Typical LOP on pers guns is hovering around that 12.5" to 13" mark. In order to reach the trigger, the shooter has to reach forward as it's a considerable distance away from the shoulder compared to other guns. This causes the position to collapse as the shooter can't be built up on the elbows like normal. This is the route of all other problems;

To cycle the bolt, the shooter has to reach for the bolt handle and typically uses their whole arm to cycle the bolt. This is causing the position to break. As the shooter is typically uncomfortable to begin with, rebuilding the position is generally inconsistent and is resulting in .3MOA shooters spitting out 1.5 MOA groups. This is the worst for the shorter members.

We get people to self report where the crosshairs settled after the shot as a diagnostic tool. Ability to spot shots is compromised and we are seeing lateral stringing. We are attributing this to the longer LOP causing people to blade off OR, cant their body as the non-master arm controls the butt, the shoulder is rising up, conversely to the master arm reaching for pistol grip is causing that shoulder to drop low. We are also seeing the torso "Curl" to meet the gun.

The recoil is sending the gun left for our righties.... which fortunately all of our shooters are. Stick that in your DEI pipe and smoke it. In researching this issue, I came across this vid by Bryan Litz. Whilst the group isn't stringing, the rifle going to the left under recoil is similar.

By not being able to build up the position, and reduce the LOP, shooters positions are collapsed, making them quite low to the ground. The size of the MRAD in it's height is now causing the head to "cock" back in order to place the cheek on the cheek piece. Typical complaint here is the cheek piece is too wide and the rear of the cheek piece is squared making the cheek piece uncomfortable. This is causing neck strain as the neck is kinked. People are lowering the bipod to such an extent that the pistol grip is almost, or is touching the ground.

This low position is causing an exaggerated "chicken wing" with the shooting arm, raising it higher and causing the wrists to kink. Sustaining the prone position is untenable and in some instances, the trigger control is compromised as the tendons in the wrist become strained. The solution here is to push the LOP out LONGER. Making all other issues worse.

Which then flows onto eye relief issues. The long LOP, the height and the cocking of the head to reach the cheek piece, is requiring the Optic to be moved as far rear as physically able. Unfortunately, though there more space to add more rail, the rail stops short and eye relief can't be obtained.

When not in prone and in upright positions like off a tripod, we are seeing the guys "blade off", rather than be square behind the gun as it's easier to get eye relief when you're "next to" the gun, as opposed to being square behind it. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as groups have been consistently within the acceptable margins as the weight of the gun and the tripod are doing a lot of work, but follow up shots and self spotting are delayed or not achievable as the gun torques off target due to the shooters bladed stance and off square shoulder connection. That LOP comes up again as the head needs to be dropped down onto the cheek piece and sustaining this position isn't optimal for most shooters compared to the neutral head and body position afforded by the AIs

We shoot sling with the precision guns in training and yeah.... forget it.

This all could be training and familiarity issues or type A personalities not wanting to change, but when I requested a bloke come and shoot the MRAD to see if we could nut out these issues a bit more, the response I got was "why?". And fucked if I can come up with an answer.

Everyone went back to the Surgeons or the AIs as they feel better to use and people get better results.

I'm fortunate to be taller, so a lot of the problems aren't AS bad for me, but i definitely don't consider the MRAD to be a comfortable gun to shoot by any means.

As i said, there's got to be something I'm missing. What is the philosophy behind this rifle's design? Is anyone else experiencing any of these issues? What were your fixes? Conventional thinking seems to be shorter LOP is better. I don't shoot PRS but I know a few guys that do and all the free T&E that occurs in the precision shooting world is leading people to chase shorter LOPs, yet the latest and greatest purpose built govt precision guns are going the other way?

What's up? What can I change?

Maybe try a left hand twist from bartlein, also ditch the harris for an atlas super cal.

Reactions: Luka
I'm 57 so my neck hurts after a while regardless of the platform. I'm 6'2" and used my MRAD with custom Bartlein 33XC barrel to hit two consecutive shots at 2 miles in high wind. It's stupid accurate... printing a 5-shot quarter MOA group at 500 yards. My stock Barrett 338NM barrel is no slouch either, regularly putting up 1/2 MOA groups at 200 yards. I have an Accu-tac bipod with skis and an adjustable bag rider with Precision Underground rear bag. My MRAD tracks straight back. Also running a slightly modified MPA EVG Grip (Enhanced Vertical Grip). I don't load the bipod and free recoil the gun.

Really sounds like you like the AI so If "everyone hates it" why not just stick with the AI?

Reactions: Luka
I'm 57 so my neck hurts after a while regardless of the platform. I'm 6'2" and used my MRAD with custom Bartlein 33XC barrel to hit two consecutive shots at 2 miles in high wind. It's stupid accurate... printing a 5-shot quarter MOA group at 500 yards. My stock Barrett 338NM barrel is no slouch either, regularly putting up 1/2 MOA groups at 200 yards. I have an Accu-tac bipod with skis and an adjustable bag rider with Precision Underground rear bag. My MRAD tracks straight back. Also running a slightly modified MPA EVG Grip (Enhanced Vertical Grip). I don't load the bipod and free recoil the gun.

Really sounds like you like the AI so If "everyone hates it" why not just stick with the AI?
"Really sounds like you like the AI so If "everyone hates it" why not just stick with the AI?"

We are. But that doesn't help me understand the MRAD.

Whilst we have the CS5s, the M40A6, the CSRs, the Tikka Tac A1, the Mk13 Mod7 etc etc etc, the one that people don't like is the MRAD. Why is that? What is it that makes the MRAD different? The consistent theme seems to be the LOP and height, so if that's failing point, how do we rectify it?

The AXSR similarly has a longer LOP as standard (13.5" minimum), so if that's the direction precision guns are going, then there must be a reason for it? And i'd like to understand what that reason is. Giving up on something and going back to what is comfortable is fine in the practical sense and it's encouraged, but i'm naturally inquisitive. I'm a Sagittarius.

Reactions: flysolo
Maybe try a left hand twist from bartlein, also ditch the harris for an atlas super cal.
All over it. Talking to some blokes in the US, the Area 419 arca rails are now becoming common and part of that upgrade is going over to the Atlas. We have rolled the ATLAS PSRs off the CSR onto the MRAD and that's made a big difference but the Atlas is a superior bipod IMO.....

I read that back and damn man, there are too many acronyms.

Last edited:
All over it. Talking to some blokes in the US, the Area 419 arca rails are now becoming common and part of that upgrade is going over to the Atlas. We have rolled the ATLAS PSRs off the CSR onto the MRAD and that's made a big difference but the Atlas is a superior bipod IMO.....

What is the LOP on the M40A6 and CSR with the RACS chassis? If they prefer the shorter LOP, feel of the RACS chassis, and short action throw - then it is a hard comparison for both platforms.

Can't really tell in your photo's... are you running an SMR aka fixed stock version??

Can't really tell in your photo's... are you running an SMR aka fixed stock version??
Sorry mate, just to clarify, those aren't my photo's. They are from the US Army's promo pages. They just happened to show what i'm talking about. I've been researching this for a while.

Our is the MRAD, we have 308, 6.5 and 300nm barrels.

What is the LOP on the M40A6 and CSR with the RACS chassis? If they prefer the shorter LOP, feel of the RACS chassis, and short action throw - then it is a hard comparison for both platforms.
G'day mate;

The CS5 is still setup for me, the A6, i'm not sure who was on it. I think you're right in that the longer bolt throw is adding to some of the positional problems. The Mk13s don't seem to be as effected but again, it could be familiarity.

Edit; Actually it could be the 60° throw as well compared to the 90s being a bit stiffer? Im just spit balling here. There's a vid where a bunch of gun influencers went out to Accuracy 1st at a Surefire event and a lot of the positions are bladed and their positions need to regularly be reset (especially milspec mojo but that dude runs the bolt he's married to it and it just reached for his phone.....)

Attachments

• 1000003310.jpg
    1000003310.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 1000003311.jpg
    1000003311.jpg
    703.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I'm betting 100% this guy has never adjusted his diopter (correctly) ...(y)
Hey dudes, I understand the urge for weak people to get all pumped up when someone admits they aren't the greatest at something. It makes you feel good about yourself to just let that hubris run free hey? You win. I can't shoot and I don't know how to setup my rifles. Total noob. Should just "git gud" amarite?!

Most people in the professional space are beyond this type of thinking and are looking for more tools for the toolbox, alternate opinions and for their skills and beliefs to be challenged in the interest of learning and ultimately getting better - I have no issue saying i'm not that good of a shot with the MRAD (comparatively).

If you've got nothing to add, other than to openly self felate your ego, do you mind just sitting this one out? I put a lot of time and effort into reaching out here and trying to explain some of what we are saying in the hopes to get some good info, i'd hate for it to be derailed.

Cheers

Hey dudes, I understand the urge for weak people to get all pumped up when someone admits they aren't the greatest at something. It makes you feel good about yourself to just let that hubris run free hey? You win. I can't shoot and I don't know how to setup my rifles. Total noob. Should just "git gud" amarite?!
LOL.

This is 1/2 inch of variation...
1712010197610.png

This is your description of reality...
1712009950211.png

Reality...

Peanut gallery member here..

In my shitty opinion, people shoot certain platforms better. Sometimes there isn’t a rhyme or reason as to why. Could be something, or could simply be placebo or lack of confidence caused by a negative experience.

Mob mentality is a real thing, especially when someone is vocal about how something is bad.

I don’t shoot Glocks as well as my brother, but I’m a much better shot with the 2011 platform than him.

That’s the fun of this hobby, like most other hobbies, you get to try stuff out and experiment. See what works well for you, see what doesn’t.

You and your friends don’t shoot the MRAD as well? Good thing you have other choices. Coming to a thread where people typically have a positive shooting experience with an MRAD and to exaggerate a hypothetical problem isn’t very useful.

Lastly, if you are pulling shots high and left, get a tuning brake. I promise if you take a little time to setup, it will fix the issue.

Reactions: Ehtacs and Luka
LOL.

This is 1/2 inch of variation...
View attachment 8386744

This is your description of reality...
View attachment 8386741
Reality...
Look mate, you're making yourself look dumb, weak, and/or a cunt.

I mentioned in my original post that this isn't affecting just me and that "I'm fortunate to be taller, so a lot of the problems aren't AS bad for me", which is why my LOP is only .5" difference. The A6 stock is setup 1.5" shorter for a different shooter - but i'm guessing you're just willfully ignoring those parts.

You're either dumb, and aren't reading or processing properly.
A Cunt, and willfully just being ignorant for the sake of online conflict
Or you're ignoring parts that dont fit the narrative that allows your ego to be boosted. Creating a false sense of superiority, but imagining someone is worse than you so you can feel better about yourself.

These are the actions of a low value man.

I posted this here in good faith to get people's experience in the hope of learning. You're contributing nothing. Please just sit it out so I can perhaps learn something from people with something of value to add.

I know you're going to gob off again, because it's what weak, fragile egoed people do - but consider taking a pause and reflecting on what you actually hope to achieve.

And if it's not to look like a weak, dumb cunt, maybe shutup?

Last edited:

I mentioned in my original post that this isn't affecting just me and that "I'm fortunate to be taller, so a lot of the problems aren't AS bad for me" or the fact the A6 stock is setup 1.5" shorter for a different shooter - but i'm guessing you're just willfully ignoring those parts.

Or you're ignoring parts that dont fit the narrative that allows your ego to be boosted. Creating a false sense of superiority, but imagining someone is worse than you so you can feel better about yourself.

I posted this here in good faith to get people's experience in the hope of learning. You're contributing nothing. Please just sit it out so I can perhaps learn something from people with something of value to add.

I know you're going to gob off again, because it's what weak, fragile egoed people do - but consider taking a pause and reflecting on what you actually hope to achieve.

A little helpful advice - you might want to redact your newly found employment from your post (a few back) before calling other members slang for female genitalia.

Call me old fashion, but a group of people that enjoy sniper rifles as a hobby is one of the last groups I’d want to offend.

In all seriousness, chill out man.

• Haha
Reactions: Zigjib
Peanut gallery member here..

In my shitty opinion, people shoot certain platforms better. Sometimes there isn’t a rhyme or reason as to why. Could be something, or could simply be placebo or lack of confidence caused by a negative experience.

Mob mentality is a real thing, especially when someone is vocal about how something is bad.

I don’t shoot Glocks as well as my brother, but I’m a much better shot with the 2011 platform than him.

That’s the fun of this hobby, like most other hobbies, you get to try stuff out and experiment. See what works well for you, see what doesn’t.

You and your friends don’t shoot the MRAD as well? Good thing you have other choices. Coming to a thread where people typically have a positive shooting experience with an MRAD and to exaggerate a hypothetical problem isn’t very useful.

Lastly, if you are pulling shots high and left, get a tuning brake. I promise if you take a little time to setup, it will fix the issue.
I absolutely agree with the sentiment that not one gun is going to work with everyone.

Just to clarify, i didn't say MRADs a bad gun, it certainly will print great groups when someone can shoot it and that bolt is about the smoothest thing i've ever felt. The problems aren't hypothetical. They are observed and real and consistent across a number of us. I came here because i figured this is going to be the highest density of experienced shooters of the MRAD - but i do get your point that, if someone has gone out, researched, spent their hard earned cash, that they are more likely to be defensive than constructive. I'm not too sure where else to ask this question though?

We went out today and I took the M40A5 and the Mk13Mod7s just to get some good reps up. I only did 20 rounds on the MRAD but for whatever reason, I'm just really struggling to be consistent. I'll keep trying because i'm stubborn though. I'm a taurus

A little helpful advice - you might want to redact your newly found employment from your post (a few back) before calling other members slang for female genitalia.

Call me old fashion, but a group of people that enjoy sniper rifles as a hobby is one of the last groups I’d want to offend.

In all seriousness, chill out man.
Sorry bro if the C bomb offends you. I personally don't have an issue with it, especially considering i'm Australian and we drop it more than Snoop Dog does when it's hot. I find people's bad attitudes more offensive. But both of these things are subjective i guess.

a group of people that enjoy sniper rifles as a hobby is one of the last groups I’d want to offend
Chill out man.

If you don't want to be called a cunt, don't act like one. It's pretty simple. I find ma smith's attitude cuntish, and it offends me that i would reach out for assistance in as genuine terms as I can, to have someone mock me. And someone who collects sniper rifles is the last person you'd want to offend right?....

Last edited:
Hi guys
Just got myself another barrel for MRAD
Need to make some thread guards

Anyone know what threads are on
308 & 6.5cm barrels?

Thanks

Got the Bugholes 300 Norma 32 inch Bartlein installed. Once I get my Thunderbeast 338 Ultra back on this week, I’m gonna go fling some Berger 245 grain LRHT at some distance. I’ll post results.

Attachments

• IMG_3421.jpeg
    IMG_3421.jpeg
    995.8 KB · Views: 64

I mentioned in my original post that this isn't affecting just me and that "I'm fortunate to be taller, so a lot of the problems aren't AS bad for me", which is why my LOP is only .5" difference. The A6 stock is setup 1.5" shorter for a different shooter - but i'm guessing you're just willfully ignoring those parts.

I haven't heard this many C-Bombs since I was in Tarin Kowt. You ever been there-2012 time frame? Definitely switch out the harris bipod, I just don't recall my mrad twisting on me. But then again I just run the rifle hard n fast, last match i shot I didnt go above 10x on targets out to 1900 yds.

I haven't heard this many C-Bombs since I was in Tarin Kowt. You ever been there-2012 time frame? Definitely switch out the harris bipod, I just don't recall my mrad twisting on me. But then again I just run the rifle hard n fast, last match i shot I didnt go above 10x on targets out to 1900 yds.
Good shooting mate.

No playing in the sandpit for me mate. I was originally attached to 5RAR on the TK trip for 2011-2012 but got pulled off as I was the only person in our Unit plant qualled at the time. I posted to 5 when they were getting back and posted to training command the year before they went back on RGB. Wrong place wrong time, but I bet if you rattled off some names i'd be able to send you some incriminating photos lol.

We had the MRAD out to 1000y this morning. I'm not a huge fan still but it's definitely growing on me. Maybe it's the fact i'm failing and i'm a glutton for punishment? I'm getting about .5 - .75" groups but i'm double grouping within that realm. 5 and 10 round groups are the same. 3 rounds one hole, 2 rounds through another. 5 shots through a ragged hole, 4 shots through another about a bullet width away and usually 1 shot joining them in the middle. The other guys are still off it but one of the blokes came out and printed pretty much a one hole group first go saying "i dont know what the fuss is about", then our admin chick had a crack and put 3 rounds touching so..... maybe I should swap jobs with her lol. Typically though we are seeing shots string high left. The butt pad is very different in that it's like a little hook, and i've noticed that people are placing the collar bone central to the pad, as opposed to letting the upper portion seat into the pocket, and that's causing the butt to drop under recoil. But the other element is still the position collapsing as the shots are fired.

The gun is obviously a good bit of a kit.... that bolt is so damn smooth and based on the log books, the barrels don't seem to have any break in period. Phenomenal workmanship. Plus i'm a big fan of the Mark5 scope and with the 185gr Berger GMM ammo out of the 17" barrel we are getting 6fps SD on average out of the ammo.

I think Borebear's point on familiarity and personal preference is probably the primary culprit on why we aren't liking it. But I'm still curious as to why the longer LOP, if there's a strict mentality to it or it's just how Barrett designs the guns.

Cheers

Edit: Attached the pic. There's an offset with the camera so it appears the shots are further left than they are and the backstop is 30m behind the target so the drop is exaggerated. That taller shot on its own i can't really explain but i'll own that. Taken in isolation it'd be a flier but given my propensity for those double groups i'd say it's more likely thats waht was about to happen if i kept firing.
Fun fact. When your kestrel updates, you need to turn MV-Temp back on..... The height variation is because I derped using the kestrel. Otherwise she'd be bang on.
MRAD.jpg

Last edited:
But I'm still curious as to why the longer LOP, if there's a strict mentality to it or it's just how Barrett designs the guns.
Total guess here, but maybe the LOP had to be that long given they had to go with a folding stock. I believe they had to hit a certain maximum length folded. With the long action and the design to capture the bolt handle, it’s probably as short as can be.

Total guess here, but maybe the LOP had to be that long given they had to go with a folding stock. I believe they had to hit a certain maximum length folded. With the long action and the design to capture the bolt handle, it’s probably as short as can be.
Is the AI AXSR significantly different from the ASR that competed? It’s got a 12.6” minimum LOP, but not sure if the rear ends of the rifles are the same.

Is the AI AXSR significantly different from the ASR that competed? It’s got a 12.6” minimum LOP, but not sure if the rear ends of the rifles are the same.
No, no different in the buttstock, just googled it as well, the website says 12.6". For some reason i dedicated to memory 13.5" minimum. That might have been with BA added. I'll have to check again but we don't own the AXSR. Makes sense though as that's where the CSR chassis are LOP size.

I think you're onto something. We considered that as well. I can't see any way they would be able to make the LOP shorter the way they've designed the butt and still capture the bolt. SURELY that's not why it's so long..... but it makes sense from a design perspective.

Anyone else notice that Barrett is now selling MK22 barrels on their website? Now I am just waiting for them to go on sale...

Reactions: schmi015
No, no different in the buttstock, just googled it as well, the website says 12.6". For some reason i dedicated to memory 13.5" minimum. That might have been with BA added. I'll have to check again but we don't own the AXSR. Makes sense though as that's where the CSR chassis are LOP size.
My setup for the AXSR vs MK22. AXSR LOP is extended to 14”. MK22 LOP has no adjustments for 14”.

IMG_0132.jpeg

IMG_0133.jpeg

Reactions: ma smith
My setup for the AXSR vs MK22. AXSR LOP is extended to 14”. MK22 LOP has no adjustments for 14”.

View attachment 8388565
View attachment 8388566
Damn, that's a flex post and a half. Cheers for that mate seems the AXSR is 13.5" minimum. I must've miss-googled when I got 12.6".
Did you naturally go for 14" or did you make them the same for consistencies sake? Did you have any adjustment period going to longer LOP or was it pretty natural for you?

Awesome rigs mate.