• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

Did you ever figure this out? What video did you see it in?
I can't find the link now, which makes me a liar.... but there's definitely a new butt pad assy you can buy. It replaces that fully adjustable LOP with a non adjustable for LOP one. It still allows the pad to move up and down using a screw. A lot of the excess material in the butt Assy is removed and makes the LOP 13.5".

I’m trying to choose between the AML338 and MK22 suppressors. The only differences I can see are (1) color and (2) the Mk22 has a latching system.

Is this correct? Any opinions? I’ll be shooting 300PRC and 338LM.

I’m trying to choose between the AML338 and MK22 suppressors. The only differences I can see are (1) color and (2) the Mk22 has a latching system.

Is this correct? Any opinions? I’ll be shooting 300PRC and 338LM.
I have the AM338 ($1239 on Europtic) which took me over a year and a half for the stamp. Just got tax stamp back for a B&T TP-9 suppressor in 2-weeks!!!
I thought the AML 338 ($1727) was the Mk22 suppressor? Mine has never come loose without the locking device and as far as color, I run a Armageddon suppressor cover in Multicam. You're basically paying $500 for the lock mechanism and the color. I'm 99% sure the baffles are identical but CS at Barrett could confirm.

I have the AM338 ($1239 on Europtic) which took me over a year and a half for the stamp. Just got tax stamp back for a B&T TP-9 suppressor in 2-weeks!!!
I thought the AML 338 ($1727) was the Mk22 suppressor? Mine has never come loose without the locking device and as far as color, I run an Armageddon suppressor cover in Multicam. You're basically paying $500 for the lock mechanism and the color. I'm 99% sure the baffles are identical but CS at Barrett could confirm.
Those are good points — I’m going to call Barrett and confirm. Doesn’t seem to be worth the up charge.

Reactions: Swatdude1
Those are good points — I’m going to call Barrett and confirm. Doesn’t seem to be worth the up charge.

You end up talking to Barrett about this?

I've been contemplating selling a bunch of rifles and gear and just going full out Mk22, but I'm also thinking I'd be just fine getting a standard MRAD, adding the bag rider, and then cerakoting everything (including the barrel) to match the slightly darker FDE/Coyote hue of the Mk22. At that point, I would assume that literally the only aesthetic difference would be the Mk22 markings on the receiver.

And at that point, despite the fact that the AM338 is ever so slightly different than the AML338 (no locking mechanism, 0.4" shorter, and 0.1" less in diameter), if the whole thing is covered in the issued suppressor cover, it's not like you'd be able to see it anyway.

These are the thoughts running through my head anyway - I'll mostly likely never have a need for 300 or 338 Norma given the lack of super long ranges in my AO. Seems like a Mk22 (turning a standard MRAD into a look-alike) in .308 is the way to go and going the route I mentioned above is sounding more and more appealing and WAY less $$$.

Last edited:
You end up talking to Barrett about this?

I've been contemplating selling a bunch of rifles and gear and just going full out Mk22, but I'm also thinking I'd be just fine getting a standard MRAD, adding the bag rider, and then cerakoting everything (including the barrel) to match the slightly darker FDE/Coyote hue of the Mk22. At that point, I would assume that literally the only aesthetic difference would be the Mk22 markings on the receiver.

And at that point, despite the fact that the AM338 is ever so slightly different than the AML338 (no locking mechanism, 0.4" shorter, and 0.1" less in diameter), if the whole thing is covered in the issued suppressor cover, it's not like you'd be able to see it anyway.

These are the thoughts running through my head anyway - I'll mostly likely never have a need for 300 or 338 Norma given the lack of super long ranges in my AO. Seems like a Mk22 (turning a standard MRAD into a look-alike) in .308 is the way to go and going the route I mentioned above is sounding more and more appealing and WAY less $$$.
I ran the same exercise a couple years back. Prices have changed since then but I was looking at the parts that come with a complete Mk22 vs building one. In 15+ years, I have yet to regret paying a premium for clone correct and went Mk22 myself considering the difference. Hell if you don't need the engraving, you could consider buying the Mk22 kit and parting out the Mk22 receivers/barrel/mags on Gunbroker for like $9-10k, keeping all the accessories and come out ahead after buying a vanilla 308 MRAD for 60% of that.

1717085161773.png

thats a crazy price
I ended up little less than 10 000usd
Rifle , bagrider, bipod, nightforce f1, spuhr , B&T silencer , 3 barrels 338lm , 308 & 6,5cm

thats a crazy price
I ended up little less than 10 000usd
Rifle , bagrider, bipod, nightforce f1, spuhr , B&T silencer , 3 barrels 338lm , 308 & 6,5cm
You sure you got a $5500 rifle, 2x $1500 barrels, a $2-3k+ Nightforce, then all the other stuff for less than $10k? That's 10.5 with a cheap Nightforce, before another $1-2k in other parts!

You sure you got a $5500 rifle, 2x $1500 barrels, a $2-3k+ Nightforce, then all the other stuff for less than $10k? That's 10.5 with a cheap Nightforce, before another $1-2k in other parts!
I have written down everything
I payed exactly 10 500 for everything i mentioned

oh man.... these US prices are super demoralising.
Damn! Thats insane!
I mean in Norway rifle with one barrel cost new 9000 usd i got mine used in mint condition for 5000 usd with 338 barrell and pelicase. Scope Nightforce F1 i payed 2500 barrels around 1500 each everything used but in real good condition

Does anyone know what the Badger scope mount is for the Army contract? It's obviously a Condition One Modular Mount (COMM), but is there is a specific SKU for it?

I’ve seen issue 3.6-18 Leupold MK5HD scopes with the Army Mil-Grid Reticle. Mostly placed on M110’s.

However, I want to say that all the Army issue (non-SOCOM) MK22’s I’ve seen came with 7-35 MK5 HD with a T3 reticle.

Now I don't trust my memory.

I’ve seen issue 3.6-18 Leupold MK5HD scopes with the Army Mil-Grid Reticle. Mostly placed on M110’s.

However, I want to say that all the Army issue (non-SOCOM) MK22’s I’ve seen came with 7-35 MK5 HD with a T3 reticle.

Now I don't trust my memory.

That's sort of why I asked too - the Mk22s you see for sale online that come with the Leupold Mk5 are all the 7-35 version and they do appear to be contract marked scopes too.

At the same time, I remember when the Army awarded the contract to Leupold several years ago and those articles all specifically mentioned it was the 5-25.

So, which one is it? Or are both "correct"?

Curious to know if anyone is using the MRAD chambered in 6.5cm? Also, if not reloading, what factory ammo and average MV ?

Curious to know if anyone is using the MRAD chambered in 6.5cm? Also, if not reloading, what factory ammo and average MV ?
This is off the kestrel. I don't have full data for ES/SD. Chrono is the Garmin
147gr ELD-M = 2735 fps
143gr ELD-X = 2750 fps
140gr ELD-M = 2780fps
140GR FGMM = 2795fps

Could be they are both correct, I’ve only ever seen the 7-35x with T3 reticle on issued rifles though.
SOCOM and USMC got Nightforce optics ATACR 7-35x56 and have the T3 reticle. Army made their own mil grid reticle. To the best of my knowledge, the Mk22 in US Army service is Mark5HD 5-25 only.

This is off the kestrel. I don't have full data for ES/SD. Chrono is the Garmin
147gr ELD-M = 2735 fps
143gr ELD-X = 2750 fps
140gr ELD-M = 2780fps
140GR FGMM = 2795fps
My MRAD is new and I have only put 57 rounds of 140gr ELDM thru it. Using the Garmin, I'm getting an average MV of 2,695 (24" barrel). I consistently run an average of 2,750 fps using 140 gr ELDM with my MPA but that has a 26" barrel.

Is there any proper way to get an MRAD down to 13.5” LOP. Also, is there any type of full length ARCA plate that runs the full span of the handguard, all the way back to the magwell, so that I can clamp into my RRS tripod?

Thinking about coming over to the Barrett camp but these are two concerns that I have. It’s that or I’m going to have to take the AXSR plunge, again….

Is there any proper way to get an MRAD down to 13.5” LOP. Also, is there any type of full length ARCA plate that runs the full span of the handguard, all the way back to the magwell, so that I can clamp into my RRS tripod?

Thinking about coming over to the Barrett camp but these are two concerns that I have. It’s that or I’m going to have to take the AXSR plunge, again….
Arca rail options from Sawtooth and A419. If you figure out the LOP situation let me know.

Reactions: HD1911
My MRAD is new and I have only put 57 rounds of 140gr ELDM thru it. Using the Garmin, I'm getting an average MV of 2,695 (24" barrel). I consistently run an average of 2,750 fps using 140 gr ELDM with my MPA but that has a 26" barrel.
I'll double check for you;

Edit: attached mate. This isnt the main test we did but shows some MV. Bit slower here, barrel was brand new. I'll definitely double check though

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240603_084202_ShotView.jpg
    Screenshot_20240603_084202_ShotView.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Just my MRAD 338NM and Nightforce 7x35 ATACR were almost $10k with tax! Added 33XC and 41XC Bartlien Barrels, Barrett MK22 Fix-it Stick Kit, Dewey Rod and Boreguide, MK22 Armageddon Rifle Bag, Ajustable Bag Rider, AM338, Armageddon Suppressor Cover, MRAD Spare Parts Kit, Barret 2-stage flat trigger, Vertical Grip, Accutac Bipod, RRS Tripod, Vortex Impact 4000, and extra mags to equal 5 per caliber for total of 15. Barrett definitely saw me coming!!!

I actually have two Nightforce ATACRs, one on the MRAD and one on a dedicated 41XC build with 33" barrel. Right after I bought the 2nd one in their version of fde, the Mark22 ATACR came out on Europtic... GRRRRRRRRR.

If comparing to the cost of the Leupold Mk5 equipped 300 NM Mk22 that Euro Optic sells ($14,920), unless I'm missing something, you could go the clone route for WAY less...

MRAD in 300 NM = $5498
Leupold Mk5 7-35 (T3) = $2,899
Badger C.O.M.M. = $302
Mk22 Suppressor = $1,727
Bag Rider = $80

That's $10,506. Now, that doesn't include cerakoting the receiver and barrel Coyote, but how much more would that be? Another $300-500?

You're still like $4,000 less than the aforementioned Mk22 in 338 NM for $14,920.

And frankly, you could get the Leupold Mk5 7-35 in the PR2 reticle and save $300 (it's not going to change the outward appearance of the rifle).

In any case, I know it's not a Mk22 and there some very subtle differences, but I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference and you'd be saving $4,000+.

Again, this is the debate I'm having in my head - go the clone route or pay an extra $4,000+ for the actual Mk22.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2011Nomad
It's H269 - Barrett Brown

I saw that color code online and thought, "It can't be this easy, can it?"

I guess it really is that color.

I called Barrett this morning to ask about it and the receptionist said they were closed for maintenance, but said she'd pass along my question and somebody would get back to me.

This is my MRAD I had Cerakoted in H-269 "Barrett Brown" compared to the factory MK22 Silencer. Just an assumption, but the can might use a Cerakote of the same color, but meant for heat resistance, hence the tiny difference.
View attachment 8433145View attachment 8433146

Dude - this is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping somebody would post. That looks great!

Straight up nailed it.

Reactions: Patch98
Other than the color, muzzle brake, and length - is the 24" .308 barrel that comes on the commercial 308 MRAD the exact same shape, diameter, fluting, etc as the 20" Mk22 308 barrel?

In other words, could you take the commercial 24" .308 barrel and swap the muzzle brake (for the AML338 suppressor), cut it down to 20", paint it, and visually there would be zero difference?

EDIT: I spoke to Barrett on the phone - other than the length and the color, they're identical.

Last edited:
Other than the color, muzzle brake, and length - is the 24" .308 barrel that comes on the commercial 308 MRAD the exact same shape, diameter, fluting, etc as the 20" Mk22 308 barrel?

In other words, could you take the commercial 24" .308 barrel and swap the muzzle brake (for the AML338 suppressor), cut it down to 20", paint it, and visually there would be zero difference?

EDIT: I spoke to Barrett on the phone - other than the length and the color, they're identical.
Kinda, but not really. The fluting on the finished barrel doesn't extend to the end, so chopping a 24" down wouldn't look right because the flutes would extend to the end. Besides that cosmetic difference, it would look similar.

I also don't know if there's a difference between Mk22 and MRAD chambers, but I can find out.

Kinda, but not really. The fluting on the finished barrel doesn't extend to the end, so chopping a 24" down wouldn't look right because the flutes would extend to the end. Besides that cosmetic difference, it would look similar.

I also don't know if there's a difference between Mk22 and MRAD chambers, but I can find out.

Good point about cutting it down and the fluting at the end.

Maybe I could live with the 24" - it would look close enough, especially after everything is cerakoted E-190 (this color was once again confirmed correct for the Mk22 color code) AND with the Mk22 suppressor on the end.

Want mine?