• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

Well the day has finally come!...........

I got to the range today FINALLY and was able to get my MRAD zeroed. I suck and this was what I was able to come up with today.

CF834F02-E653-4976-A9CD-E33D2EBC1044_zpsixfti8gw.jpg

and a glamour shot after a short workout....

555B14C3-D472-4E45-B793-3DC9D2CA8F22_zpsaerzpfux.jpg

Needless to say I'm completely in love. YOU FUCKERS talked me into buying one of these beasts and it is one of the best rifle purchases I have ever made. I can't wait to get my hands on the 260 conversion!!

I took my MRAD out this past weekend. Shot .5-.625 MOA with factory ammo. My scope rings wouldnt stay torqued. I ordered a LaRue mount, should be here today.

well, I was off to the range this weekend, and suddenly my brass got hard to extract. When I looked at the brass, I couldn't see any signs of overpressure (43.5 grains of varget under 178Gr ELD-M in Lapua Brass) I'm seeing some tiny indents in the brass just bellow the shoulder. I've tried a thorough cleaning and I'll take it out this weekend to see if I got it (a naked eye inspection doesn't spot anything in the chamber).

Is there are tricks aside from a regular cleaning? If it's still beating up brass I'll bring it to a local gunsmith and see if he can get the imperfection sorted unless anyone else has any recommendations.

well, I was off to the range this weekend, and suddenly my brass got hard to extract. When I looked at the brass, I couldn't see any signs of overpressure (43.5 grains of varget under 178Gr ELD-M in Lapua Brass) I'm seeing some tiny indents in the brass just bellow the shoulder. I've tried a thorough cleaning and I'll take it out this weekend to see if I got it (a naked eye inspection doesn't spot anything in the chamber).

Is there are tricks aside from a regular cleaning? If it's still beating up brass I'll bring it to a local gunsmith and see if he can get the imperfection sorted unless anyone else has any recommendations.

Did you check your reloading dies? May be a build up of lubricant causing the indentations in the brass. Just a thought...

Did you check your reloading dies? May be a build up of lubricant causing the indentations in the brass. Just a thought...

I did not. I guess since suddenly the rounds got sticky I assumed the cause and effect... I'll check the dies, and clean them out when I get home.

Worth a shot.. Do you remember anything happening before the rounds getting sticky that could have cased it?

was shooting the 300 WM (zero issues) swapped to 308.... First round, very sticky, sequential rounds, not as sticky with the odd exception being almost as sticky as the first one.

The last time I shot the 308, she shot like a dream, with no noticed issues.

I suspect it is far more likely user error (some dirt got in somehow, and when the round fired, it got wallpapered to the chamber walls) then anything related to the conversion or design

Alright boys, it's time for some hard data from the MagnetoSpeed. We need to keep this thread lit up!

Synced on: 7/18/2015 10:35:46
Series MRAD Shots: 22
Notes 285 gr Hornady 1x NT 1x case 92 Grains Retumbo
Min 2698 Max 2829
Avg 2794 S-D 27.3
ES 131

Shot Speed
1 2811 ft/s
2 2817 ft/s
3 2819 ft/s
4 2808 ft/s
5 2804 ft/s
6 2776 ft/s
7 2815 ft/s
8 2794 ft/s
9 2805 ft/s
10 2789 ft/s
11 2807 ft/s
12 2772 ft/s
13 2791 ft/s
14 2795 ft/s
15 2829 ft/s
16 2802 ft/s
17 2698 ft/s
18 2808 ft/s
19 2811 ft/s
20 2785 ft/s
21 2774 ft/s
22 2764 ft/s
---- ---- ---- ----
Synced on: 7/18/2015 10:13:07
Series MRAD Shots: 20
Notes 285 gr Hornady 1x NT 13 case 82 Grains H1000
Min 2345 Max 2437
Avg 2408 S-D 19
ES 92

Shot Speed
1 2345 ft/s
2 2400 ft/s
3 2403 ft/s
4 2413 ft/s
5 2429 ft/s
6 2428 ft/s
7 2403 ft/s
8 2408 ft/s
9 2426 ft/s
10 2404 ft/s
11 2398 ft/s
12 2413 ft/s
13 2402 ft/s
14 2418 ft/s
15 2411 ft/s
16 2411 ft/s
17 2437 ft/s
18 2390 ft/s
19 2407 ft/s
20 2422 ft/s

Synced on:7/9/2016 11:10:33
Series308MRAD 175 GR 44 GR Varget lapua caseShots:20
Notes
Min2682Max2722
Avg2701S-D11.7
ES40
ShotSpeed
12693ft/s
22703ft/s
32711ft/s
42701ft/s
52694ft/s
62684ft/s
72717ft/s
82716ft/s
92707ft/s
102705ft/s
112707ft/s
122682ft/s
132714ft/s
142705ft/s
152699ft/s
162684ft/s
172722ft/s
182691ft/s
192687ft/s
202699ft/s

Synced on:7/9/2016 10:27:36
Series308MRAD 175 GR 43.5 GR Varget lr caseShots:20
Notes
Min2674Max2699
Avg2685S-D7.4
ES25
ShotSpeed
12686ft/s
22683ft/s
32695ft/s
42699ft/s
52675ft/s
62681ft/s
72674ft/s
82691ft/s
92682ft/s
102680ft/s
112689ft/s
122693ft/s
132695ft/s
142687ft/s
152683ft/s
162681ft/s
172678ft/s
182698ft/s
192689ft/s
202680ft/s

Alright boys, it's time for some hard data from the MagnetoSpeed. We need to keep this thread lit up!

Synced on: 7/18/2015 10:13:07
Series MRAD Shots: 20
Notes 285 gr Hornady 1x NT 13 case 82 Grains H1000
Min 2345 Max 2437
Avg 2408 S-D 19
ES 92
isn't this a little lite? I haven't started loading for the 338 yet, but I was expecting to be closer to 90 grains of h1000.

Last edited:
So I made it out after work.... there is still some marks on the brass, but it is lighter then before, and got lighter as the shooting went on. By the end I couldn't detect any damage to the brass. So I am not sure WTF happened, but all seems fine now

The black flies were bad, but even with that in mind, any day behind the MRAD, is a good day on the range. If anyone is interested, I am trying out the Wiebad mini stockpad on the MRAD. So far I like it. The only negative would be aesthetics (the pad is not cut to follow the lines of the cheek rest, it is more rectangular) but it functions well, and is very comfortable for me.
Sv2LFsI.jpg

This is an example of how she was shooting today. There was actually 8 shots in this group, I just couldn't mark them all because the middle of the group is "missing". I was trying a couple different groups with varying neck tensions and I figured 8 rounds in each group would give me an idea if there was a marked improvement or decrease in accuracy. Lets just say they were all sub MOA so I'm happy (Lapua brass, CCI BR2 primers. 43.4 Grains of Varget, Hornady ELD-Match rounds). This particular target was shot at 100 yards. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/ATExuKc.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
was shooting the 300 WM (zero issues) swapped to 308.... First round, very sticky, sequential rounds, not as sticky with the odd exception being almost as sticky as the first one.

The last time I shot the 308, she shot like a dream, with no noticed issues.

Did you have the bolt locked in battery when you torqued the barrel back on?

Failure to have the bolt on gives it some play for a round or two due to how it indexes.

I have the wiebad mini stock pad also, very comfortable. I got my scope mounted in the LaRue OBR mount, will be zeroing and doing some 6.5 load development next time out.

Attachments

• photo57166.jpg
    photo57166.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 130
  • photo57167.jpg
    photo57167.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 139
I had a back and forth yesterday with someone else who picked up a demo rifle from EuroOptic. He said, he wasn't able to remove the 24" heavy 308 barrel from the receiver to put his 338 carbon barrel in the receiver. Anyone around here have a hard time removing barrels after extended periods of use. He said he contacted Barrett and sent the upper back to them? Anyone also know when (how long ago) Barrett was making 24" heavy 308 barrels?

Very possible this is one of the early Gen 1 rifles. Something on the interior of the upper was not machined to allow the barrels to be removed. I am positive something changed between the PSR submittal and what they ended up selling to the civilian market as far as the barrels go. I have a very early serial number (low 300s) and my barrel would not come out either when I tried. The TORX bolts could be completely removed and the barrel would not move. Before I tried forcing it I contacted Barrett and they told me the gun needed to be sent in. They also told me that any conversion barrel I purchased in the future would also need to be sent in or purchased from them so they could modify it to fit in the gun.

I sent the gun and conversion barrels that I had at the time to them and got it back with in 7-10 days. Barrett covered all shipping and handling.

Very possible this is one of the early Gen 1 rifles. Something on the interior of the upper was not machined to allow the barrels to be removed. I am positive something changed between the PSR submittal and what they ended up selling to the civilian market as far as the barrels go. I have a very early serial number (low 300s) and my barrel would not come out either when I tried. The TORX bolts could be completely removed and the barrel would not move. Before I tried forcing it I contacted Barrett and they told me the gun needed to be sent in. They also told me that any conversion barrel I purchased in the future would also need to be sent in or purchased from them so they could modify it to fit in the gun.

I sent the gun and conversion barrels that I had at the time to them and got it back with in 7-10 days. Barrett covered all shipping and handling.

Well this makes me nervous… I got one of the demos but have not tried removing the barrel since I have no conversion yet. Makes me a bit antsy…

Well this makes me nervous… I got one of the demos but have not tried removing the barrel since I have no conversion yet. Makes me a bit antsy…

If I recall correctly what you bought was a Barrett MRAD .338 LM Rifle System Tungsten Cerakote reciever 24.5 inches, no lightening cuts. EuroOptic had a few more than they could sell at the regular price and they let a few out the door at $4,900. These were small breach "new style". I checked with Kieffer before I recomended these. You got a great deal on the latest greatest MRAD. Please stop telling yourself that the price was too good to be true so there must be something wrong with it and start telling yourself that you are a great shopper who got a great deal.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly what you bought was a Barrett MRAD .338 LM Rifle System Tungsten Cerakote reciever 24.5 inches, no lightening cuts. EuroOptic had a few more than they could sell at the regular price and they let a few out the door at $4,900. These were small breach "new style". I checked with Kieffer before I recomended these. You got a great deal on the latest greatest MRAD. Please stop telling yourself that the price was too good to be true so there must be something wrong with it and start telling yourself that you are a great shopper who got a great deal.

sierracharlie338 if you got one in any other factory color than Multi-Role brown and it has the small breach you have nothing to worry about. You have the newer rifles and 4900 is a smoking deal!

I knew I could count on you guys to make me feel better! Dang I'm a bargain hunter that (with the help of a few here) got a smoking deal!!

I love my MRAD!!

sierracharlie338 if you got one in any other factory color than Multi-Role brown and it has the small breach you have nothing to worry about. You have the newer rifles and 4900 is a smoking deal!

I bought one of the EuroOptic multi-role brown. It was in 300 WM. Your saying it has a small breach. I have a breach conversion kit . Do I really need the conversion?

I bought one of the EuroOptic multi-role brown. It was in 300 WM. Your saying it has a small breach. I have a breach conversion kit . Do I really need the conversion?

The easiest way to be certian would be to email EuroOptic with your invoice # and ask. The most fun way would be to get out your owners manual and learn the steps to change over the bolt face, if the bolt face fits the same way in the origional bolt as it fits in the breech conversion then you have the origional small breech and did not need the breech conversion. If the bolt face is to big to fit the breech conversion then you have the origional large breech.

i can add some data as well:

MRAD 22" fluted .308 barrel
168 AMAX reloads ~ 2727 fps.
gold medal match (factory) 168 BTHP ~ 2750 fps

It is in .308. I also have a caliber change kit (.338 Lapua) coming from Euro optics. I have a PRS atlas bipod for it and hopefully my Leupold mark 8 will arrive the same day. Christmas in May?

Just pulled the plug on a 260 Rem. 24" fluted barrel. Stoked!!! I'm taking a Jim See class in cody, Wyoming on June 10-11. I'm buying a 200 round case of GMM for the class. I Don't think I'd have time to buy Lapua cases and do load development before the class. Any 260 guys out there that want to share some loads or experiences with the caliber?

I have ten different H4350 loads rolled five with Hornady ELD-M's and five with Berger ELD 140's. It is too windy today for load development shooting.

In my other .260 I did not get enough MV to justify the 140's over the 130's but either will get me past 1000Y so I have a couple of big boxes of bullets to use before I lighten up.

I have ten different H4350 loads rolled five with Hornady ELD-M's and five with Berger ELD 140's. It is too windy today for load development shooting.

In my other .260 I did not get enough MV to justify the 140's over the 130's but either will get me past 1000Y so I have a couple of big boxes of bullets to use before I lighten up.

Thanks!

I'm thinking about trying 147 eld-m with some RL17 and Lapua brass eventually. I'll try it with the federal brass as well. I might just use federal brass for a 140 berger load with H4350?

Spuhr for the base, I gave thought to the quick disconnect style but old habits are hard to break. I just don't have enough faith in them yet to try them so I staying with the conventional attachment

Ian

The 260 is an awesome round and one close to my heart. I just sold my last 260 to fund an optic purchase but I love shooting that caliber. My first conversion will be the same kit you bought.

I was shooting 130 VLDs over H4350 at a smoking 2920 (26 inch barrel). Lapua brass is the way to go buddy.

Can't wait to get my hands on a 260 conversion.

Ian

The 260 is an awesome round and one close to my heart. I just sold my last 260 to fund an optic purchase but I love shooting that caliber. My first conversion will be the same kit you bought.

I was shooting 130 VLDs over H4350 at a smoking 2920 (26 inch barrel). Lapua brass is the way to go buddy.

Can't wait to get my hands on a 260 conversion.

I picked up my conversion for $1250 from grabagun.com. I'm really excited!!!

Spuhr for the base, I gave thought to the quick disconnect style but old habits are hard to break. I just don't have enough faith in them yet to try them so I staying with the conventional attachment

I have the new Spuhr QD for that same reason and it's awesome!!! SportOptics hooked it up for a great price, almost the same as a regular mount.

I also upgraded to the Spuhr mount -- i got the QDP-4602 (actually a pair of them, upgraded the mount on my Seekins as well) from forum sponsor Mile High Shooting -- they have a SnipersHide discount if you call them -- (303) 255-9999 or milehighshooting.com

has anyone put the Atlas 5-H on their MRAD? More specifically anybody found a good way to store it in the factory case, and can you share a pic of where you stash it?

I've got the standard V8 on now and cut the foam in the front to fit, but would like to upgrade to the 5-H especially for use with the 338 barrel. Then I can migrate the V8 down to the Seekins...

I'm not going to lie, I wanted the 5h, but the inability to store it in a case made it a presumed hassle, and a presumed hassle means I won't buy it.

For the guys with barrel conversions, what torque wrench are you using? The manual calls for 140 inch pounds if I remember correctly.

For the guys with barrel conversions, what torque wrench are you using? The manual calls for 140 inch pounds if I remember correctly.

The factory spec is 140 in/lbs. I'm using a Seekonk NC-200R wrench that is reset to 140 and I just keep in in my bag/case.

I bought an MRAD when the Gen 2’s came out. From the factory the trigger was set at about 2.5lbs. I bought it in 308 with a 22” fluted barrel. Out of the box it was great. I’ve consistently shot .25-.75 MOA groups with it using 168gr Hornady TAP factory ammo. Mine is Multi-Role Brown, with a NF ATACR 5-25 in a Spuhr mount. It has plenty of room for a PVS-27 and fits nicely with the mount. I've got a Atlas bipod and an Accuracy 1st level. I've posted some pics below.

After a few years, I have zero complaints about the rifle. It is a bit heavy but it is not designed to be a light rifle. It has a very manageable recoil because of the weight and an efficient brake. To me it just made sense to have one rifle that can do all or almost all and love having multiple calibers with just one piece of glass. There are others out there with multi calibers so that is not a MRAD specific benefit but one I did like. I ended up just buying extra bolts for the different barrels and leaving the bolt head’s on there. It’s not difficult to change them, but to me it’s just easier. I also have a preset torque wrench that I keep with the rifle. It takes very little time to swap the barrels.

The only carbon fiber barrel I have is a 17” in 308. The weight savings is not all that great and I know that they initially thought there would be a greater weight savings that they ended up having. However the one thing I do like about the shorter cf barrel it is that it shifts the center of gravity on the rifle back making it much easier to shoot in multiple positions. I have a number of other rifles but my MRAD is the one I enjoy shooting the most.

I’ve not shot the integrally suppressed barrel yet but look forward to playing with one soon.

qkqd25Q.jpg

RgOTuZe.jpg

vVvizfe.jpg

​​​​​​​
XwcBhik.jpg

​​​​​​​
MF8ymDm.jpg

​​​​​​​
bmqZxoM.jpg