• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

I am looking to upgrade my chronograph. Anyone have hands on experience with the LabRadar Ballistic Velocity Doppler Radar Chronograph? yes its a handful, I have seen and read mixed reviews online of both it works and its great to its overpriced and it sucks. Just attempting to gain more perspectives before I send $600 down range. [h=1][/h]

Nice set up by the way shooter. I now know how my dog feels when he is waiting for me to make his food. My MRAD delivery has been postponed until Tuesday. Hence a slight change of weekend plans :(

I am looking to upgrade my chronograph. Anyone have hands on experience with the LabRadar Ballistic Velocity Doppler Radar Chronograph? yes its a handful, I have seen and read mixed reviews online of both it works and its great to its overpriced and it sucks. Just attempting to gain more perspectives before I send $600 down range. [h=1][/h]

Look up lowlight's thread on his. It has been broken twice. He says the magnetospeed V3 is his goto chronograph.

I bought one of the EuroOptic multi-role brown. It was in 300 WM. Your saying it has a small breach. I have a breach conversion kit . Do I really need the conversion?

If you bought one that came from the factory in any other caliber than 338 then you do not need the break conversion. The newer ones in 338 also do not need the conversion but the older ones will. The early early rifles came only in Multi-Role Brown and had an FDE/Patriot Brown colored fluted 338 Barrel, they then changed to black barrels. I am not certain of the actual serial number cutoff when the breach conversion requirement ended someone would need to ask Barrett.

Well Gentlemen, The 338 Lapua carbon barrel gave me a first round hit at 1186 yards with my Sig Kilo 2400. I'm pretty stoked! It was a 12"x12" target. My 260 barrel is supposed to be here any second. Can't wait to get out and shoot it in a long range class next week.

Impressive IanHusaberg. What is the max distance of the range for use and landscape (i.e. graded, hills, etc...).

Impressive IanHusaberg. What is the max distance of the range for use and landscape (i.e. graded, hills, etc...).

I was out in the forrest land here in north west wyoming. The shot was up hill @ 9 degrees. I have a friend that put the target up at the top of a hill. The target lives there year round. Hidden in plain sight sight type of thing. It's the max range for that spot. There are plenty of long range spots out here in Wyoming.

I was out chronoing some loads with my lab radar I had yesterday, as well as doing some scope tracking verification. I'd give it a thumbs up(I think its worth the money). I use a battery pack that is attached to a goal zero solar panel to power it as it eat batteries quick like. I had three rounds left for the day, when i took the poke at 1186. I think it's nice to shoot with it all the time and give me a bigger sample size for my muzzle velocity. If I miss it's easy to see if my velocity is off my average FPS. I don't think you can do that with a Magneto, it usually affects POI.

image_59266.jpg
Well Gentlemen, The 338 Lapua carbon barrel gave me a first round hit at 1186 yards with my Sig Kilo 2400. I'm pretty stoked! It was a 12"x12" target. My 260 barrel is supposed to be here any second. Can't wait to get out and shoot it in a long range class next week.

Aside from this rifle reminding me that I am the weak link in the chain, I just can't find a reason to hate this thing... I was working on the 300WM load development (cripes the recoil is tame on this thing). I did a very quick workup for powder with .5 grain steps. Picked a load between 2 apparently good performing charges and tried a couple different lengths and this is what I get. There is ZERO doubt that this barrel is a half MOA barrel with a shooter that doesn't pull the odd shot when he gets excited.

2.875 to the ogive of these 208 ELD-M bullets. BARELY MOA with the flyer, but if I discount the flyer, .5 MOA [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/PxnZHeL.jpg"}[/IMG2]

The next one is a little longer at 2.885 to the Ogive, .8 MOA with the flyer, if I discount the flyer, another half MOA group [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/mrTEiai.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:

Thanks for the encouragement! Well, tell me about your tresol? What is the furthest first round hit your system has given you?

Thanks for the encouragement! Well, tell me about your tresol? What is the furthest first round hit your system has given you?

No idea, I don't have tresol.

I just recently started using FFS on a Trimble Nomad. With the 300WM, I think FRH is around your range on the 338. I've mainly been messing around alot with 308 lately as I found an insane accurate load for it.

On a good note, my brother who lives in Illinois and has never really shot anything other than the occasional 22LR or pistol or someones rifle when they were out somewhere, came to visit and got a crash coarse in shooting a precision rifle. After about 10 rounds of him fighting the gun and listening to me on body position instead of doing what he thought was right, he shot a .8 5 shot group out of the MRAD. I did have to show him up a bit by then pounding out 5 in the same hole within 15 seconds, but I was proud of him as well as it shows how much this rifle system can do for you.

We ended up shooting at a 8 inch plate at 680 where I found out that the scope height offset I had for this setup was over an inch off in FFS causing me to shoot .5MILS high at first making me think something was seriously wrong; nope, the ballistics app was just doing what I told it to do : /. It's amazing to see how much difference an inch in the scope height offset makes at distance and proves that its usually a combination of small things that end up screwing you.

I got out and shot the 260 Rem. today. I loaded up four rounds at 43.0 grains of reloader 17 with the 147 eld-m bullets. It was a little hot, slight cratering of the primer and slight ejector marks on the federal case. I just received 200 rounds of Lapua brass in the mail today. I broke the barrel in the other day with 20 rounds, GMM 142's(2750 FPS). I'd have a couple rounds at the exact same FPS then it would shift 50 FPS one way or the other. I'll just attribute it to being a new barrel. The reloads were going 2885 FPS. I think I'll back it down to 42.8 or so and see what happens to the federal brass, before I go Lapua brass. The group looked around 1" or so? Normally I would do a OAW @ 300 yards to see how the barrel flex's. I'm compressed on time before my long range class this weekend. I'll try another load in the morning and see what happens?

I've got the 30 MOA rail on my gen 1 and a 20 MOA QD Spuhr. Works well with the gen 2 Razor!

I just upgraded to the Spuhr mount system as well. I put the same QDP-4602 on (6 MIL/20.6 MOA). I wish they made a 30 MOA version because I'm not even close to bottoming out the Bushnell DMR2i that's in it at 100 yard zero in 6.5CM configuration. If I recall correctly I've got at least 1.5 rotations of room down remaining at 100 yard zero.

Very much recommended to get a 20 MOA setup for the MRAD.

FYI forum sponsor Mile High has the QDP-4602 in stock and has a Snipers Hide discount on it -- you have to call in to order over the phone to get it.

Unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to update my pics last range session to show the new hardware. I have another Long Range class this weekend and will shoot some updated pics.

I also went ahead and picked up the Atlas 5H. To answer my own question from earlier in the thread, there is no f'ing way that the 5H is fitting in the factory MRAD case, unfortunately. However, its an amazingly badass bipod upgrade and I'm very glad I did it. So far I'm just carrying it to the range in the factory cardboard case. Maybe I'll do something more permanent when the cardboard inevitably falls apart or gets wet.

What is everyone using as a bore guide for the MRAD? I've got a new .308 enroute.

I use Dewey. deweyrods.com you can even get a custom if the need ever arises. They have field kits as well as the item by itself.

2.73 is what I came up with for mine. The Mrad is a hard one to measure correctly.

Well my problem was when setting the profile on FFS, I just put in a number and said I'd come back to it when I was near the gun and could measure it. I then went and shot it, completely forgetting I put the scope height at 1 inch instead of 2.78.

You would think it wouldn't make that big of a deal. At 650 yards, the 1.78 inches difference makes a .4-.5MIL difference.

Anyone have their velocity numbers for the 6.5 CM in your MRAD. We've posted some good numbers for .308 and .338 but would love to see everyone share some more!

Last edited:
I had my 260 Rem out in full swing this weekend at a Jim See class in Cody, Wyoming. I did load development just before I left town. I have the 147 ELD-M's going 2840 FPS with Lapua brass, GMM primer and 42.6 grains of RL-17. It was a little on the hot side when I started with FGMM brass @43.0. Ejector marks and a little bit of cratering on the primer. I backed it down to 42.8, still hot. Went down to 42.6 and it shot two different five shot one hole groups with Lapua and Federal brass. I backed it down to 42.5 the morning of loading 175 rounds and it shot like crap. I went back up to 42.6 and loaded the rounds up. There where ejector shadows on the federal brass but not the Lapua!!

The class went well, I learned a lot about positional shooting. I shoot well when we were working on prone long distance targets. The Sig Kilo 2400 is pulling its weight. The wind was hell Saturday, but then calmed down Sunday and there was no wind at all. I've got a lot to learn when it come to positional shooting. The Barret kicked ass!!! The weight helped in every aspect. I'm looking to competing in my first PRS match.

I have not. I am old school and still do everything by pen and paper. I would much rather roll that cost into other equipment such as a quality scope, bipod, or even an eberlestock back. I am pretty sure there is a forum that has discussed it. That system has been around the block. Have you checked all of lowlights reviews to see if he had done one?

Has anyone tried the Barrett Bors system?

No and I have a question about it.

Is it even set up to allow you to 'correct' the computer to what your scope is actually tracking at? Or is 1MIL, 10 click on the scope via the computer even though your tracking puts 10 clicks at 1.2MILS?

If it doesn't allow for that, I wouldn't waste your time.

Has anyone else toyed with the idea of further cutting the foam inside the Pelican case the MRAD came in?

Seeing as how its totally fucking useless in its current state to carry the rifle with a scope attached, I've been thinking about doing it but don't want to fuck it all up.

I gave mine away. Thats how much value I placed upon it. I use my eberlestock for my transporting needs

Has anyone else toyed with the idea of further cutting the foam inside the Pelican case the MRAD came in?

Seeing as how its totally fucking useless in its current state to carry the rifle with a scope attached, I've been thinking about doing it but don't want to fuck it all up.

sure why not? I wish they had a short one that was lighter! My gen 2 Vortex razor fits like a glove, I store my extra barrel, torque wrench, extra breech, mags, cleaning stuff, manuals and junk. Use my Voodoo tactical drag bag/mat as my go to and only use the pelican as a travel case.

I made minor cuts by hand with a sharp knife to allow for my monopod to stay on the stock when folded down. The cell foam cuts just fine.

I'm actually considering replacing the foam entirely to allow for a better custom cut. It definitely wasn't cut very well with accessories in mind.

I made minor cuts by hand with a sharp knife to allow for my monopod to stay on the stock when folded down. The cell foam cuts just fine.

I'm actually considering replacing the foam entirely to allow for a better custom cut. It definitely wasn't cut very well with accessories in mind.

I about to try and cut it. I don't normally use the hard case but if I'm bringing multiple rifles in the back of the Jeep where I know they'll all get bumped around I need a case for anything I bring.

Sucks that Barrett cut it the way they did.

I took the old girl out of the safe tonight, drooled on her!!!! I switched the barrel back to the 338 carbon one(35 rounds burning a hole in my pocket) after my last shooting class with the 260rem. fluted barrel. I've shot close to 200 rounds now and am eager to get it back on paper and see how the groups are looking? I don't think I'll be doing any free recoiling shots with the 338. I'm not looking forward to changing my zero for 35 rounds.

Do any of you have have or shoot the 300 Norma round out of the MRAD?

I wen to Amazon and bought the replace foam set for like $40 bucks and re-cut mine. One tip I might had is lay everything on the foam (reverse) and trace the rifle, barrels, mags, etc and then cut the foam with a turkey cutter. When you flip the foam all marks and excess trace cuts will be hidden underneath giving you a nice look.

Couple quick shots of where I've placed the Atlas 5H in the MRAD case.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4265\/34948894573_2b09e4026b_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4066\/34948893863_8fb0342365_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I've cut some minor grooves in the foam to hold it in this place and it's stuck great. I took the gun out and banged the case around a lot to see if it would move, and it's holding perfect. The mount holds up on the depression pictured and the grooves i added for the legs holds it nicely.

Last edited:
And how it looks on the gun, from the 300-yard line.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4242\/34917535124_b2776c7559_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]
2017-06-11 15.44.42

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4264\/35370857500_93b24b7538_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]
2017-06-11 09.44.21

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4265\/35370854430_d4f03fe302_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]
2017-06-11 09.44.41 by performify, on Flickr

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4021\/35626896521_b58191dbce_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]
2017-06-11 10.26.27 by performify, on Flickr

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4004\/35626893351_038c7458d2_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]
2017-06-11 10.26.35 by performify, on Flickr

(more soon, in my AAR for this long range class)

Last edited:
And a quick preview of how it shoots, from the same class, first time on the new Atlas 5-H and new mid-size monopod. Running the 6.5 CM barrel with the Thunderbeast brake. Short answer? Consistent and excellent, better gear than the shooter for sure. I struggled some with the wind, but generally consistently able to put together 5-shot groups at or below 1.0 MOA at 200 and 300 yards and a few at 0.5 and 0.75 plus a string of 20 I was reasonably happy with at 500. Not the best I've shot, but it was good training in dealing with the wind.

Best grouping of the day, four shots at 300 yards on a very windy day, measured about 0.45 MOA
. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4287\/34917541694_9fbf689c2c_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]

and 20 shot group at 500 yards. Official F-Class 500yd target so the X ring is 2.50" (0.5 MOA @ 500) the 10 ring is 5.00" (1.0 MOA) and the 9 ring is 10.00" (2.0 MOA) for scale.
. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4214\/34917530554_b1ac9df8ce_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Could have been a lot better with a better and more experienced shooter. Still, very happy with the new 5-H bipod setup and continue to be very happy I went to Barrett.

wind read, coming back from the pits (wind was from the shooter's right to left) - strong but pretty consistent
- - [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4261\/35589007032_8348b09951_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]

more coming in the AAR

Last edited:
Fanatic, outstanding pictures. I checked the like button but it didn't seam to stick. Considering its your first time with that set up and an unbroken barrel, I would say you shot well. By the way is it wrong to stare at other peoples Barretts:)

How do you like the accu-shot mono. I was thinking of getting a small. If the mono is constructed anything like the bi-pods, it money well invested

How do you like the accu-shot mono. I was thinking of getting a small. If the mono is constructed anything like the bi-pods, it money well invested

I'm definitely a fan and recommend it. Money well spent for sure.

Pictured here with the 5-H bipod setup is the BT13-QK (medium size monopod) with elevation range from 4.75" -– 5.65".
I felt the medium size was a better pair for the 5H given its elevation range of 5.5" - 10.5".

I used to run the small size monopod (BT12-QK, 3.75" -– 4.65" elevation range) paired with the Atlas V8 (4.75" –- 9.0" elevation range).
Those have both been moved down to the Seekins AR10.

Last edited:
I finally made it to the range for some 6.5 chrono data.

Temp was 77. Pressure was 29.39 inHG. 72% humidity.

Loaded SMK 142 over 42.5gn of IMR 4350. Hornady brass once fired and trimmed. Full length resized.
Data is for 30 rounds measured by Competition Electronics chrono. 24" barrel.

Avg 2702
ES 27
SD 9

Strelok Trued the MV to 2815 @ 85 degrees,
produced hits at 1000.