• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

I finally made it to the range for some 6.5 chrono data.

Temp was 77. Pressure was 29.39 inHG. 72% humidity.

Loaded SMK 142 over 42.5gn of IMR 4350. Hornady brass once fired and trimmed. Full length resized.
Data is for 30 rounds measured by Competition Electronics chrono. 24" barrel.

Avg 2702
ES 27
SD 9

Strelok Trued the MV to 2815 @ 85 degrees,
produced hits at 1000.

Was going to say either you are loading it light, or your chrono was off.

I'm getting 2790 from a 175g 308 bullet. For a 142 in 6.5 you should be faster.

Anyone have any idea why barret decided to put a plastic sleeve to house the bolt? Does it have something to do with the bolt fitting in the receiver properly?

Anyone have any idea why barret decided to put a plastic sleeve to house the bolt? Does it have something to do with the bolt fitting in the receiver properly?

I'm going to guess weight, as well as this being part of the 'self lubricating' claim they have on the bolt/action (which I don't subscribe to).

Was going to say either you are loading it light, or your chrono was off.

I'm getting 2790 from a 175g 308 bullet. For a 142 in 6.5 you should be faster.

I thought that was slow as well. I checked the same load with a Magnetospeed today. The average for 10 shots was 2750.

If any of you guys have an interest I've listed some Barrett ExRings for sale in the accessories section. 34mm w/ dual setting 20-30moa

looks like my 26 inch 338 barrel has shipped. Does anyone have any recipes they'd care to share with h1000? I'm uncertain of what bullets I want to shoot (the 285 ELD-M's seem to be abundant,relatively cheap and look decent on paper) but I'm hoping to make it work with h1000 so I don't need to stock another powder.

looks like my 26 inch 338 barrel has shipped. Does anyone have any recipes they'd care to share with h1000? I'm uncertain of what bullets I want to shoot (the 285 ELD-M's seem to be abundant,relatively cheap and look decent on paper) but I'm hoping to make it work with h1000 so I don't need to stock another powder.

I was using h1000 in my savage, with the 300 gn berger. I was using 90.5 gn (2800fps) and it was a little hot! They were single feed. With the MRAD I'm using a different load. I'm using 285 eld-m loaded to mag length with 96.6 gn of RL33(2700 fps w/ 24" carbon barrel). I'd work your load up carefully either way.

I was using h1000 in my savage, with the 300 gn berger. I was using 90.5 gn (2800fps) and it was a little hot! They were single feed. With the MRAD I'm using a different load. I'm using 285 eld-m loaded to mag length with 96.6 gn of RL33(2700 fps w/ 24" carbon barrel). I'd work your load up carefully either way.

Yeah, I think I'll be in the 90-93 grain range somewhere. for 308 there are some magic loads (like the 43.4-43.5 grains of varget and 178 gr pills), I haven't come across many similar ones for the 338. either way, I can't wait. The 300WM kicks like my budies 308 at MOST so I'm curious how the 338 will feel.

More importantly, why does this even matter? I mean, when playing CoD, the temperature doesn't really matter outside of how hot your GPU or your hot pockets get, right?

True Dat! It was a nice first post for a noob. Now, go be a noob somewhere else, #1sniperinthewhatever.

Haven't made it to the range yet, but I got a good deal on an early MRAD, 338LM... hopefully will get to the range this week with it and try it out.

Attachments

• photo66980.jpg
    photo66980.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 165
Haven't made it to the range yet, but I got a good deal on an early MRAD, 338LM... hopefully will get to the range this week with it and try it out.

I just got the conversion to 338LM, I can't wait to try it out, I'm hoping to break it in this weekend

Attachments

• 20664734_10213742233293010_4845310737922422423_n.jpg
    20664734_10213742233293010_4845310737922422423_n.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 116
The 26" heavy barrel. It is an early version, put a few down range tonight...

Nice, I'm kind of Jealous! I picked up a 24" carbon barrel this spring for a deal I couldn't pass up. I kind of wish I had the weight and the Extra 2"s. Post what kind of velocities your getting and loads.

On another note guys, I posted my 24" 260 rem. fluted barrel conversion kit in the PX along with a breech conversion. Thought I'd spread the word.

Hey Guys, another shooter from Germany reporting in: MRAD .338 20“ & .308 22“ + S&B 5-45x56 PMII High Power, Steiner DBAL, Atlas PSR Bipod & Monopod, EraTac 25MOA Scope Base, EraTac canted iron sights, hand loads in lapua cases, H1000 Powder, Scenar 300gr moly bullets. In love with this rifle, after owning several R700 and one AI the MRAD turned out to be my personal favorite by a mile! Cheers, Max

Attachments

• photo67599.jpg
    photo67599.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: John1890
same, I picked up a 26 inch heavy barrel, I figured I'd wants the max velocity out of it, so I wanted the 26.

it's early, way too early to panic, but goddamn the mrad did not like the ammo I had at 200 yards, 3 shot groups ranged from .8 MOA to 3 MOA. It was just hornady 285 grain BTHP, but I was expecting more seeing how the 300WM and 308 barrels loved everything I put down the spout and rarely spat out groups in the 1 moa or larger range. It's making me second guess my plan to go with the 285Gr ELD-M bullet. what are others seeing with the 338 and what bullet are you guys using?

I think we need to get sponsored or have a 'go to' SnipersHide vendor for conversion kits/barrels as the prices for the kits/barrels are all over the place.

Anyone want to step up? And no, I don't mean you 'MAP' guys either.

Reactions: Blaster7Romeo
I had given thought to that but I didn't know where to start. I have been calling around to places that carry them trying to get a group rate or something with no luck so far. It may help if I could tell them how many are interested. With that said how many here are in the market for any type of conversion kits.

ok. anyone else?

I'm wanting a heavy barrel 260 rem 24", carbon fiber 308 22" and a 24"heavy 300 norma barrel. Maybe not all at once, but those are the one I'm interested in right now. I have a fluted 24" 260 Rem in the PX section as well as a breech conversion.

Last edited:
one of the six vendors responded to me this morning. It is euro optic. They want to know how many kits we want and the time frame we want them. I told them I would check and get back to him. I will use this information when the other vendors respond back. I told them that we want a discount code for use so we can call on our own to place our individual order and get the group rate. I am in for two kits. In total I think there is interest in a total of 5 kits I see per the thread. It sounds like the rate euro is willing to give will be based on the amount of kits and the time frame we would get them.

one of the six vendors responded to me this morning. It is euro optic. They want to know how many kits we want and the time frame we want them. I told them I would check and get back to him. I will use this information when the other vendors respond back. I told them that we want a discount code for use so we can call on our own to place our individual order and get the group rate. I am in for two kits. In total I think there is interest in a total of 5 kits I see per the thread. It sounds like the rate euro is willing to give will be based on the amount of kits and the time frame we would get them.

I am very interested in this group buy, keep me posted on what you guys decide to do because if it helps I can throw an order in their.

Ok. What are we talking here. EuroOptic prices are $1,338.00 for a regular barrel. $2,000.00 for a carbon fiber barrel. I've bought a Conversion for $1,250.00 from Grabagun.com site before and that seems like a normal price from them. I've bought a Carbon barrel from a unnamed source for $1,750.00 and I'm sure they still made a little $. What kind of price is EuroOptic talking about?

Jason from Euro Optic sent me an email. He said he would give us dealer pricing "only to us". He will let me know the price tomorrow. If we interested we would just call and ask for him. I have been searching around for a deal for some time and like IanHusaberg said, grabagun seem to be the cheapest. At least we can use Euro optic as a baseline on whether this is something to jump on or pass. I am still waiting on Barrett to respond.

Ok. What are we talking here. EuroOptic prices are $1,338.00 for a regular barrel. $2,000.00 for a carbon fiber barrel. I've bought a Conversion for $1,250.00 from Grabagun.com site before and that seems like a normal price from them. I've bought a Carbon barrel from a unnamed source for $1,750.00 and I'm sure they still made a little $. What kind of price is EuroOptic talking about?

This is what I was about to ask.

Scroll back a few pages and we had a discussion about kit prices and how EuroOptic was always one of the more expensive, hence no one actually buys one from them. I can get them for $1200 or less with google and 5 minutes; I just got one off gunbroker for $1120 shipped, last week and if you wait a while and cruise slickguns.com, you can get some kits in the <1100 range. This isn't some custom built part from a specific guy you're paying for; so why pay any more than you have to?

It's great someone is looking into it, but if they are going to tell us the kits are 1250$ per, they're not going to get many takers just like the kits they keep relisting over and over on ebay and gunbroker.

But I'm curious what they come back with.

My stance hasnt changed, the better the price, the more I might buy. If we're talking $1250, I'll pass. If we're around $1100, I might buy one. Get it under $1000 and I might be in for 2-3.

I've got the .308, .300WM .260R and .338L.

If a good enough deal were offered I would get the other calibers in the carbon wrapped version.

I have plenty of mags for the .338 but if a nice discount were offered on the mags for the other calibers I would stock up on them.

I might be the only one but I have three breech conversion Kits so I don't always have to fiddle with the bolt when switching calibers. I would also pick up one or two more of them if the discount made them was good enough.

So far Euro was the only reply. Barrett again told me in the morning. Euro said $1150 but that does not include tax/shipping. So far grab a gun is the cheapest. I will continue to reach out until a true good deal is found. I don't know about anyone else but I am not in a rush for a kit in exchange for a rip off. I can wait till the price is right. German, the hill is steeper then I anticipated lol

So far Euro was the only reply. Barrett again told me in the morning. Euro said $1150 but that does not include tax/shipping. So far grab a gun is the cheapest. I will continue to reach out until a true good deal is found. I don't know about anyone else but I am not in a rush for a kit in exchange for a rip off. I can wait till the price is right. German, the hill is steeper then I anticipated lol

Thanks for doing this.

Thing is, we could literally have an entire rifle and tacked thread 'sponsored by' a vendor that with the right pricing and servicing, would basically get all of the orders.

Like I said, this isn't a specific piece custom made by one specific guy people line up and wait for, this is a part where one is the same as the other, regardless of where you buy it. So why the hell would I pay more for it?

Euro has always treated me right and consistently has a forum discount if you call in for it. Definitely recommended as a vendor.

That said - I keep an eye on Gun.Deals and managed to snag one of the 17" 308 barrels from Vizards for $950 shipped, a month ago, to complete my setup. I currently have the 17" and 22" 308 barrels, plus the 24" fluted versions in 6.5CM and 338LM. .

I would commit to pick up a backup 6.5CM barrel but only if the price was in that same $1000 ballpark.

Hello All,
New to the forum. I would be interested in barrel kits if a group buy can get the price to sub $1k. looking at HB 6.5Creedmoor. Possibly 300WM or 338LM

Last edited:
I shot one for the first time on Friday at the NRA World Shooting Championship at Peacemaker at a side match (was in 6.5 Creed). Cleaned the plate rack which not many ppl did when I was watching (IIRC about 500 yards, 5 plates that got progressively smaller). Bolt throw was a little funky compared to my AI, trigger is decent.

Anyone know of magazine pouches for the MRAD? I know Barrett makes some (I have them) but don't like them as they basically swallow the entire mag and give nothing for the bungee to press down on. Whoever made that pouch made it as an afterthought.

Anyone know of any others, or a pouch that will fit one?

I shot one for the first time on Friday at the NRA World Shooting Championship at Peacemaker at a side match (was in 6.5 Creed). Cleaned the plate rack which not many ppl did when I was watching (IIRC about 500 yards, 5 plates that got progressively smaller). Bolt throw was a little funky compared to my AI, trigger is decent.

You learn the bolt throw. Took me a bit at first as I was literally angling the gun when I was doing it and it confused me; like I did something wrong and jammed the bolt. Trigger can be adjusted. I honestly can't tell the difference between it and any other nicer precision/match/whatever trigger.

Anyone know of magazine pouches for the MRAD? I know Barrett makes some (I have them) but don't like them as they basically swallow the entire mag and give nothing for the bungee to press down on. Whoever made that pouch made it as an afterthought.

Anyone know of any others, or a pouch that will fit one?

Let me know if you find something. I was thinking about buy the barrel ones. Are there any other draw backs to their mag holder. Can you elaborate?

The Barrett is no AI. The AI is no Barrett. I do think the caliber change system of the Barrett is simpler than the AI(or any caliber change system). AI has a smoother bolt throw. Trigger is a wash IMHO. Simpler is better, IMHO.

There's someone selling a 17" 308 MRAD on here(PX section obviously). I'm interested in the barrel/Bolt head, mag. Anyone looking for a Chasis? It could be group buy, if someone was interested in the upper/lower, breech conversion, separately (together?)? Just spit balling here, even the case could be up for grabs? Anyone interested PM me.