• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

Can anyone recommend a good 1/4 in t30 plus socket or bit? I ordered one the other day and it doesn’t fit the barrel clamp screws.

Reactions: Luka
Could you please let me know what would be the trigger pull weight adjustment range for the first and second stages for the two stage trigger?

Attachments

• 16831.jpg
    16831.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 54
Can anyone recommend a good 1/4 in t30 plus socket or bit? I ordered one the other day and it doesn’t fit the barrel clamp screws.
Fix it Sticks components are what Barrett provides with their mk22. I've used them for years now and found them to be among my better tools looking new and shiny long after my Borkas get surface rust and anything from Home Depot has rusted all the way through.

I finally got around to installing the two-stage, flat trigger, which actually took about 30 seconds. All I can say is freaking amazing!! Nice defined wall and ZERO creep. I just dropped it in and don't even feel the need to mess with adjusting.
Hello. Was there an instruction on what level can be regulated?

It did come with instructions and I did adjust it after time at the range. https://barrett.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/17231-MRAD-98B-Trigger-Kit_8.5x5.5-ALL_NR.pdf
Thanks for your reply.
I wonder regulation borders of Trigger Assembly, MRAD, Two Stage. What is the regulation scope of the first and second steps?
Minimum regulation for single stage is 1.75 pounds according to the information I found but unfortunately I could not find detailed information on two stage trigger.

I don't know if it's appropriate, but . I thank the United States of America and its citizens for their help, the rifles are very appropriate and exciting to do incredible things in Ukraine's war against Russia. Our snipers are delighted. Thank you.
The Barrett MRAD is a very accurate rifle at ranges of 1500 meters+

Just a PSA if you're considering the MRAD platform: Barrett's commercial support of the MRAD is still trash. Been waiting for delivery of an "in stock" order (barrel and breach conversion kit) since 12/8/22. I've been told that the order would ship in a couple weeks on two separate occasions.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: Ehtacs and Luka
Still waiting for two clone projects to get finished so I caved and joined the MRAD club after almost five years. Two more barrels on the way - hopefully in the advertised 4-6 weeks and not 4-6+ months :ROFLMAO: I'm very impressed by the little things so far and looking forward to getting time with it this summer.

Stupidest thing (ignorance is bliss) but how about that safety serving as a thumb rest?!

CoAWB1z.jpg

Still waiting for two clone projects to get finished so I caved and joined the MRAD club after almost five years. Two more barrels on the way - hopefully in the advertised 4-6 weeks and not 4-6+ months :ROFLMAO: I'm very impressed by the little things so far and looking forward to getting time with it this summer.

Stupidest thing (ignorance is bliss) but how about that safety serving as a thumb rest?!

CoAWB1z.jpg
If you are a veteran Expertvoice has Proof research barrels for Mrad for a good price

• Wow
Reactions: Ehtacs
Does anyone know when a large to small breech conversion kit is required? Mine has an EJ serial number and according to the Barrett sotre page, the older AJ or current EJ serial numbers all require the breech conversion kit to change to 300WM. But I also read that the breech conversion is for older models in large calibers to step down to 300WM and 308. Mine is already in 308 stock…. So I am a bit confused…

Can't address yours directly, but I own an AJ serial number MRAD originally purchased as a .338 LM. I required a breech conversion kit to go to 6.5 CM. So what caliber are you looking to change over? I would think if you are staying in a "short action" caliber you wouldn't need the breech kit. Good luck.

Does anyone know when a large to small breech conversion kit is required? Mine has an EJ serial number and according to the Barrett sotre page, the older AJ or current EJ serial numbers all require the breech conversion kit to change to 300WM. But I also read that the breech conversion is for older models in large calibers to step down to 300WM and 308. Mine is already in 308 stock…. So I am a bit confused…
The breech conversion kits have nothing to do with caliber or because you have the improper breech; the current EJ prefix MRADs are all small breech. The reason you need the breech conversion kit has everything to do with the bolt heads and bolt body. The older MRADs use a bolt without a captured bolt pin, and the corresponding bolt is a complete cylinder at the rear with just a hole drilled through it for the bolt pin. The newer MRADs and current EJ series utilize a bolt body with a captured bolt pin. Since the bolt pin is not removable, a portion of the bolt pin remains inside the bolt body when it's slid to the "open" position. The newer MRAD bolts have a notch machined into them to correspond with the bolt pin protrusion.

Apparently there are also slight differences in bolt and barrel extension geometry between captured and non-captured pin systems, so use of a newer bolt in an older barrel (even if headspaced) isn't recommended. The barrels that Barrett is selling for a discount are all the older style without the notch. If you want to run an older barrel, you'll need the conversion kit. Going forward, I think Barrett will only offer the newer "EJ" style barrel/bolt assemblies with the captured pins.

Last edited:
The breech conversion kits have nothing to do with caliber or because you have the improper breech; the current EJ prefix MRADs are all small breech. The reason you need the breech conversion kit has everything to do with the bolt heads and bolt body. The older MRADs use a bolt without a captured bolt pin, and the corresponding bolt is a complete cylinder at the rear with just a hole drilled through it for the bolt pin. The newer MRADs and current EJ series utilize a bolt body with a captured bolt pin. Since the bolt pin is not removable, a portion of the bolt pin remains inside the bolt body when it's slid to the "open" position. The newer MRAD bolts have a notch machined into them to correspond with the bolt pin protrusion.

Apparently there are also slight differences in bolt and barrel extension geometry between captured and non-captured pin systems, so use of a newer bolt in an older barrel (even if headspaced) isn't recommended. The barrels that Barrett is selling for a discount are all the older style without the notch. If you want to run an older barrel, you'll need the conversion kit. Going forward, I think Barrett will only offer the newer "EJ" style barrel/bolt assemblies with the captured pins.
Got it. Thank you so much for the clarification!

This is great info. So the 308 barrel selling on the Barrett site right now isn't the same as the 308 barrel shipping with the Mk22 kits, for example? Fluting/length aside - there are iterative differences?

This is great info. So the 308 barrel selling on the Barrett site right now isn't the same as the 308 barrel shipping with the Mk22 kits, for example? Fluting/length aside - there are iterative differences?
No idea if there are substantive differences; the only .308 barrels I've seen are Mk22 and I don't have a regular .308 barrel for comparison. The Mk22 barrels are fluted and have the notched bolt. The Mk22 bolts are also engraved for each specific caliber (.308, 300 Norma, 338 Norma). I also don't know if there are chamber differences between the Mk22 barrels and commercial versions in the same calibers. The Mk22 designation just means that the system has gone through a series of standards checks prescribed by the military.

As I understand it, the discounted barrels are all older barrels lacking the notched bolt. Your clue should be the description saying that EJ prefix MRADs require the breech conversion kit. I think Barrett is trying to unload the older stuff so they can move forward with offering the newer barrels with notched bolts exclusively. It's just a better and more modern design.

Older large breech MRADs require the breech conversion kit because, well, they're large breech and all the current stuff is small breech. The key parts for that conversion are the breech and bolt guides, not the bolt or bolt head.

Last edited:
I appreciate the insight! I hopped on the phone with Barrett yesterday:
  • They clarified that old MRADs are large breech and new MRADs are small breech.
  • The barrels on sale are indeed older hardware and functionally different than what's shipping with the Mk22.
  • Current MRADs, including my Mk22, require the large breech to small breech conversion to use the barrels on sale.
  • Updated barrels should hit the store this fall.
However, I'm still alllllllllll turned around because their web store has conflicting information attached to these barrels:
  • This (older) barrel conversion is only compatible with small breech MRAD rifles with an AJ or CJ serial number prefix.
  • Item will only work with early large breech AJ or current EJ prefix models with the use of the large breech to small breech conversion kit.
    • Earlier model MRADS may require this large breech to small breech conversion kit when converting calibers.
So they're older barrels, which should be large breech, but the store says they're small breech barrels. Fine so far. Older rifles need the conversion from large breech to small breech, if they are in fact small breech barrels, which makes sense. But current EJ prefix and, per Barrett, Mk22 rifles also need the large breech to small breech conversion kit so what the hell? What rifle doesn't need the kit?

Here's a new 300NM barrel that appears to be an unpainted version of my Mk22 barrel, not on sale, that says only older MRADs need the conversion kit. This totally makes sense.

So should it be as simple as old MRADs are large breech and need a conversion kit for small breech barrels? New rifles are small breech and don't need a conversion? Does the conversion kit make large breech barrels fit in small breech rifles or large breech rifles fit small breech barrels? Is the breech not the important part here and, if so, why is the conversion kit recommended for basically every rifle?

Agh!

But current EJ prefix and, per Barrett, Mk22 rifles also need the large breech to small breech conversion kit so what the hell? What rifle doesn't need the kit?
Current EJ prefix guns need the breech conversion kit because the kit contains a bolt body without the captured bolt pin. The older barrels you're referring to have a bolt which isn't notched, hence it won't fit in your current EJ prefix gun with a captured bolt pin. You don't need the guides that come with it because your gun is already equipped with them.

If you could buy the parts individually, you would only need a bolt body and bolt pin, but they only sell it as a kit. The rest of the parts would be extras laying around.

So they're older barrels, which should be large breech, but the store says they're small breech barrels.
I don't think any of the barrels on Barrett's site are large breech. The large breech guns were only sold for a short time in the early 2010s, I believe. I also think they were all AJ guns, but I may be mistaken. Everything after that are small breech.

The old large breech barrels have a slotted extension and index in the receiver in a similar way to an LMT MRP/MWS or the way a Geissele rail indexes on the barrel nut with cross bolts. The newer MRAD configuration use circumferential pressure to secure the barrel extension in the receiver.

Last edited:
Current EJ prefix guns need the breech conversion kit because the kit contains a bolt body without the captured bolt pin. The older barrels you're referring to have a bolt which isn't notched, hence it won't fit in your current EJ prefix gun with a captured bolt pin. You don't need the guides that come with it because your gun is already equipped with them.

If you could buy the parts individually, you would only need a bolt body and bolt pin, but they only sell it as a kit. The rest of the parts would be extras laying around.

I don't think any of the barrels on Barrett's site are large breech. The large breech guns were only sold for a short time in the early 2010s, I believe. I also think they were all AJ guns, but I may be mistaken. Everything after that are small breech.

The old large breech barrels have a slotted extension and index in the receiver in a similar way to an LMT MRP/MWS or the way a Geissele rail indexes on the barrel nut with cross bolts. The newer MRAD configuration use circumferential pressure to secure the barrel extension in the receiver.
Amazing thank you - I'm easily distracted by shiny things and the large to small was doing it! That explains why the discount barrels need the kit for old and new rifles and the full price barrels only need the kit for old rifles. Cheers!

I waited month for my 338 barrel kit. Then was told it will be months more for the 300NM kit to be back in the store as all the kits were being reworked. I was not told I needed any conversion kit with the items I purchased. I now am semi concerned this is not the case.

I waited month for my 338 barrel kit. Then was told it will be months more for the 300NM kit to be back in the store as all the kits were being reworked. I was not told I needed any conversion kit with the items I purchased. I now am semi concerned this is not the case.
Kits being reworked sounds promising and aligns with the fall estimate provided. There are two 338 kits on the store that appear to be the latest version. Thanks @Big Worm for breaking down G2 and G3 - this is a huge gap on all Barrett documentation. Here's where I'm currently at on making sense of what I've learned so far:

G1 Large breech. AJ (000000-001200)​
G2.0 Small breech. AJ (001200+)​
G2.1 MLOK receiver. CJ​
G3 Captive bolt pin. EJ (MRAD), USA (Mk22)​

Some additional points Barrett provided last week:
  • Barrel kits not on sale work drop in a Mk22
  • If the barrel starts with a “18” or “19”, you will not need to use a large to small breech conversion kit (for a Mk22).
This appears pretty straightforward. All 19xxx SKUs are all full price. I am seeing 18xxx prefix barrels that are on sale and some that aren't so the two points above conflict on some samples. If Barrett's guidance on prefix may not be a great indicator on G2 or G3, the descriptions at least do track 100% with whether a kit is on sale:
  • Sale barrels, including some 18xxx, say "Item will only work with early large breech AJ or current EJ prefix models with the use of the large breech to small breech conversion kit."
  • Non-sale barrels, including some 18xxx, say only "Earlier model MRADs may require the large breech to small breech conversion kit."
So I think everything finally clicked. Sale kits (G2) will need the conversion kit for G1 (using bolt & guides) and current G3 (using just bolt) rifles. Full price kit are G3 and pair perfectly with G3 rifles. With G2 being retired, I'm curious if the new G3 barrels are backwards compatible with G2 rifles? Regardless, great sale for CJ owners and good for EJ owners who can manage some extra parts to save $400+/barrel.

Reactions: JulianD and BURZ
Just confirming all the above and adding that Barret is working to redo the descriptions to help with the clear confusion. In the case of mine I have a new model gun, thus all non sale kits should fit without the breach conversion pertains to the older models.

When in doubt they can easily provide the info if you call with the serial from the gun in question.

Time to go pre-order the 300nm and then figure out how to pay for it.

• Haha
One other note on the new barrels. At some point, I believe going from the AJ to CJ serial guns, the two barrel clamp screws were moved down relative to the bore and out of the way of the barrel extension.

I have a G1 AJ serial and even with the LB to SB conversion none of the current barrels fit since the extension lacks two small clearance notches for the clamp screws on the receiver. Thankfully, Barrett was super helpful and I RMA'd the barrel to get the clearance notches in the barrel extension with no issues.
20230113_175451.jpg20230113_173259.jpg
Pictures attached of ancient large breech 338 LM barrel (single piece! no extension) with notches and of new un-RMA'd 308 Win barrel blocking the barrel clamp holes.

I am extremely satisfied with my Spuhr in FDE bought from MileHighShooting. Painted my ATACR 7-35x56 to match. I like all the attachment points and the leveling tool works fantastic. Followed all the torque specs. Full disclosure: I'll probably never have a raptor but I like the look of the mount...Doh! I have 300PRC and 338NM.
Spuhr SP-4602: 34mm Picatinny Mount 6MIL/20.6MOA - 1.50"-FDE
SP-4602 FDE​

View attachment 7654322

Great looking rifle. I just dros"d a MRAD and pick it up in a few days. Ordered a 7x35 atacr and was trying to find a mount. Spuhr's are expensive but..i did just buy a 6k gun and a 3k optic.. lol.

I was trying to decide if i needed to get a added moa mount... then a quick relesse mount.

Any thoughts on getting one with the added moa and thoughts on the quick relesse version?

I probably wont shoot past 1k ( in cali so kinda limited) but getting close to retireing... so who knows... )

I am sure more questions. Just a ol' jarhead ... Semper Fi.

Found this... maybe.

Spuhr QDP-4602 FDE: 34mm Picatinny Mount 6 Mil - 1.5" Quick Detach - FDE​

Last edited:
It annoys me that they went with a cantilever mount on a monolithic rail. I get that it allows them to drop these on AR10s but I really wish they used the Magmount or standard Unimount instead.

I know some HK cloners get their parts engraved by Austin Engraving. They're down the street from me. We could see if they'll match my Mk22 engraving... I'd love to get a tan or black non-cantilever mount squared away if it works out!

I went Nightforce mount - Because I could not get the Military specific version as they will not sell them to the civilian market. When I spoke to them they said this was as close as they could come to it for civilians.

View attachment 8172404
I believe the only difference is the markings. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I swallowed hard and got a second ATACR 7-35 Tremor 3. Put the one I cerakoted on the Cadex 41XC build and got the dark earth ATACR with dark earth mount and raptor rail for the MK22 look on my MRAD.

I will admit the guy I spoke to at Nightforce was awesome, just gave me the info and sadly disappointed me with not being able to supply the specific non civi parts, but I am over it. Also took some time to explain to me about their scopes and how they are different than others.

That said I tossed around colors a lot before purchase and then just gave up and went with black as I think I will eventually use that as a base and work up the guts to paint it later on after I I am sure scratch it up etc. I also have a friend that does high end cerakote stuff so always can fall back on that.

But the swallow on the NF scope is one heck of a swallow, but I do not regret buying it even if it took me time to save up for it. I just have a scope vs. a GF. I also have the case and various other things all of which cost me a pile of money but in the end you only live once.

Now just need to find a place to stretch it out as in the state I live in that is always a challenge.

Reactions: Swatdude1
Hodgdon has 8lb'ers in stock!!!! Get'em while they are hot!

quick question on bags. The case that the rifle comes with is very nice. I just dont think i need to haul that around. I saw the drag bag that come with the kit.. 400 some dollars?

has anyone found a better priced solution? i kinda measured the rifle folded its about 42" and i am thinking 14" tall with the optic (thats on order). so just curious if there is something not to expensive.

thank you again. got the mount i was looking for, researching the ammo (.308 for now) and waiting on the optic.

Semper Fi.

Reactions: BURZ
quick question on bags. The case that the rifle comes with is very nice. I just dont think i need to haul that around. I saw the drag bag that come with the kit.. 400 some dollars?

has anyone found a better priced solution? i kinda measured the rifle folded its about 42" and i am thinking 14" tall with the optic (thats on order). so just curious if there is something not to expensive.

thank you again. got the mount i was looking for, researching the ammo (.308 for now) and waiting on the optic.

Semper Fi.

I picked up one from AIM - They have two - one for folding toward and away from the bolt - make sure to pick the correct one

Their bags are not cheap, but I beleive it was cheaper than the one that Barrett offers with the MK22, and it might have a few more options like a rain cover included.

Photo with the gun in it attached

Attachments

• 20230110_183421.jpg
    20230110_183421.jpg
    721.1 KB · Views: 132
I picked up one from AIM - They have two - one for folding toward and away from the bolt - make sure to pick the correct one

Their bags are not cheap, but I beleive it was cheaper than the one that Barrett offers with the MK22, and it might have a few more options like a rain cover included.

Photo with the gun in it attached
I got the MK22 one. Pricey but very nicely made. Has backpack straps which are actually pretty comfortable with the weight of the rifle.

That one above has straps also. Was there a mfg name in the one you got? I assume they are having it made by one of the large mfg's

I got the MK22 one. Pricey but very nicely made. Has backpack straps which are actually pretty comfortable with the weight of the rifle.

How long is the MRAD upper? Interested in how short case one could get away with for transportation if the rifle is disassembled.

I dont have an MRAD right now but looking hard at buying one. How close is the zero if I pull the barrel and then insert the same barrel again?

I replaced the grip with a Ergo competition grip or the wood one. I love it . I'm not lugging this much or off hand shooting it . Weight lifting I'd add too
Thanks.. i will check them out. Kinda like the idea of wood...i pick mine up today..gotta check it out first. But...

How long is the MRAD upper? Interested in how short case one could get away with for transportation if the rifle is disassembled.

I dont have an MRAD right now but looking hard at buying one. How close is the zero if I pull the barrel and then insert the same barrel again?

Stock folded and barrel removed you are at about 29.5 30" pretty comfortably.

Semper Fi.
I have one of these for my MRAD and very happy:

Is everyone in here that is shooting .338 and .300 Norma Magnum reloading or buying new or something else? Are you finding any supplies of .338 and .300 or is it just me?

That one above has straps also. Was there a mfg name in the one you got? I assume they are having it made by one of the large mfg's
It's made by Armageddon Gear for the Military. It is not on their website but you can call and order one.

Reactions: BURZ
Hi dear MRAD family
I wanna get one more barrel for my Rad
Currently have 308. and 338lm

Thinking about 300NM?
Do they make 300PRC?

Any imput please

Hi dear MRAD family

Thinking about 300NM?
Do they make 300PRC?

Any imput please
Yup, Barrett makes a 300 PRC barrel. https://store.barrett.net/p-5307-mr...-ss-fluted-mrad-58x24-with-barrett-brake.aspx

You can also get them from Proof. Do you handload? 300NM is going to be hard to source factory ammo to feed it unless you load for it. Don't sell 300WM short. Factory ammo is plentiful and despite the PRC fanboys, it can hold its own pretty well until you get into heavier high BC bullets. Even then, some custom throat reaming can help it hang with the big boys.

Proof also has 7 PRC barrels in both carbon and steel, if that's more your flavor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 308Nomad
It's made by Armageddon Gear for the Military. It is not on their website but you can call and order one.
I need to give Armageddon Gear a call and see if there's enough interest to make an MRAD barrel bag. I'm thinking a padded bag than can hold 3 barrels with bolts and a few mags. With 5 MRAD barrels in my stable, it's hard to keep them organized. First world problems, I know.

Hi dear MRAD family

Thinking about 300NM?
Do they make 300PRC?

Any imput please

I sure do - I have a .308 - bought now both .338NM and .300NM - I will not lie, I cannot find ammo anywhere except .308. I went into it thinking that 338 and 300NM would become more and more available but it seems scarce everywhere, not to mention in my state where I cannot get shipments in from other places in the nation. Which simply just makes everything worse. In the end I need to shoot a ton of .308 for training so it is not a loss, but at barrel kit prices I might have gone a slightly different way if I had educated myself on just how scarce ammo would be.

I had done my research on reloading my own and at the time the costs were more than I wanted to invest, now I am thinking it is time to look at that multi thousand doller investment and even larger investment in time to offset my caliber decisions.

I did invest for the long term with the MRAD thou, so only a bump in the road, or a wait till I have more time to learn reloading for those.