• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

I have a large breach and a spare bolt and both bolt guides. Whats the best solution for protecting and storing them while still keeping them in my range bag instead of the rifle case?

Won’t fit in a crown royal bag, any ideas?

Hi,
New MRAD owner here. I started out with a 24” 338LM barrel, then added a 24” 6.5CM barrel, then added a 26” 338LM barrel, which I like best.
ATAC on top, AAC Titan QD suppressor.
Not much load data floating around out there, so I started with the load my previous long range rifle used (Barrett 98B), 300g Lapua Scenar over 90 grains of H1000, Lapua brass, seated to the lands. After adjusting the rounds to the lands on the MRAD, 3.650 OAL, I have found it shoots about .6“ fairly consistently at 100 yards, for 5 rds.
I also tried 285 ELDs over 91g of H1000, set to 3.750 oal, and turned out about the same. I await some decent weather to head out for longer range performance. I have to work on my form, I always seem to throw a flyer in the mix.
Next was 250g Lapua Scenar over 92g of H1000, set at 3.605, these shot the tightest of all.
The 6.5 CM ended up with 41.5g under a Hornady 143g ELD in a Lapua SP case, set at the lands, 2.909 oal. This shoots under .4” at 100 yards.
Love the rifle, I look forward to shooting it at distance.
probably looking to sell the 24” 338LM barrel if any takers. 3867C72D-5D70-4FE7-B668-09679DC1A7F4.jpegA401F330-658F-4A7B-ACFA-110080712201.jpegE5084F0F-FC90-4A71-8E01-FB009CB67A60.jpeg351A6B08-AFDF-42E3-A35B-40A434A3F269.jpeg2A7F9B9A-FEC4-49F5-930B-3E643717E1B8.jpeg85E323C9-EC61-4240-9793-B58219B04D6C.jpeg3E2BE006-ACE3-48EB-B6C4-30ED5E786F8A.jpegFDFAB84F-6E25-4CD1-A77B-20E3DF4472DA.jpeg

Well guys , I just picked up a 1st Gen MRAD in 338 LM. I'm looking for a 17" 308 barrel kit. Where is the best place to get one. Ready to buy one from Europtic buy checking to see if they are cheaper somewhere else. I already have the conversion coming from Barrett. Thanks for the help in advance

Well guys , I just picked up a 1st Gen MRAD in 338 LM. I'm looking for a 17" 308 barrel kit. Where is the best place to get one. Ready to buy one from Europtic buy checking to see if they are cheaper somewhere else. I already have the conversion coming from Barrett. Thanks for the help in advance

Barrett has discounts on some of the barrel kits, Europtic has some of the best prices around and great customer service.

Barrett has been way too good to me, discounted everything free machine service and shipping. This ia my first rodeo owning a barrett but i’m hooked, I wouldn’t hesitate to pick up a 50 if I could afford one.

I’m considering selling my 260 conversion if anyone is interested. Only has about 350 rounds through it.

Good luck, seriously.

Theres been one here, and I think it’s the same one that’s been on ebay for a month or more not selling at $800 or so. I’m not looking just thought you’d want to know.

That is mine. It has been for sale in a number of places at that price, or lower, since last year.

No one wants .260. My .260 AI AX was $1000 cheaper than the same rifle from the same vendor in 6.5 Creedmoor. That was enough to buy the .260, a .308 barrel and two magazines, and still be $400 cheaper. That’s pretty much paying you to take the .260.

Take a look at Euro Optic right now at their new MRADs. Pretty good chance .260 is the cheapest rifle aside from some old stock early gen guns or oddball configurations.

Shame, because .260 is a great caliber and so easy to load.

Finishing it up before I take it out this weekend. Should I take the Barrett brake off and install the Area 419 brake I have? Is the Barrett brake more effective than the Area 419?

Attachments

• 20200423_181146.jpg
    20200423_181146.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 321
  • 20200423_181157.jpg
    20200423_181157.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 377
  • 20200423_181201.jpg
    20200423_181201.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 284
  • 20200423_181208.jpg
    20200423_181208.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 243
Finishing it up before I take it out this weekend. Should I take the Barrett brake off and install the Area 419 brake I have? Is the Barrett brake more effective than the Area 419?
is that an arca rail adapter? may I ask where you picked that up?

How does a MRAD trigger compare to an AI?

AI has more trigger position adjustability and uses a shoe. MRAD (at least mine) was adjustable for pull only.

MRAD can be safely adjusted lower than AI (non competition trigger). Mine was 1lb, 14oz while I owned it.

AI competition trigger can be adjusted even lower. I don't have the competition trigger, but there are quite a few threads here questioning its drop safety at lower pull weights. The oft-reported rumor is that was a significant factor in the MRAD winning the ASR solicitation. It may be fixed in the new AXSR. EDIT: According to a recent post from an AI industry rep here, the ASR submission did not use the AINA competition trigger and used a new trigger specific to the ASR/AXSR. One did malfunction during the trials, however.

MRAD trigger is quite easy to pull out for clean/adjustment/whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: sleeplz
Hey guys, appreciate all the good info here. I’ve got a custom 300wm barrel coming and trying to source a bolt, anyone know how to find one short of buying a whole conversion kit from Barrett?

@mgrs sounds like you have ai and barrett, do you prefer one over the other?

I prefer the AI. They both have their advantages, disadvantages, and unique characteristics. I think AI is more suitable for most hobby and competition use due to the greater aftermarket, adjustability, and much lower cost of prefit barrels if you are staying in the same bolt size. It also (my opinion) feels nicer in action operation. Bolt lift/camming, bolt throw, etc. Not quite TRG slick, but really nice.

I would pick the barrett for a large scale issued rifle. Fewer screws and fasteners and things holding it together, fewer detachable parts, easier disassembly/cleaning, and the caliber changes, while requiring a heavier torque wrench, are foolproof. Barrels don't come loose, headspace is always correct, no magazine well spacers or full bolt swaps to change across caliber families. I think the barrel extension system is the future in precision guns. You don't have to send in a receiver or serialized part if you want a barrel to be professionally fitted. Shrouded/polymer sleeve bolt system while it feels cheap won't bind no matter how hard you try and keeps the action pretty clean without requiring much lubrication at all.

Both are equally repeatable when caliber changes are done correctly, and have grouped the same for me. MRAD had less POI shift from one barrel in the same caliber group to another, but you're adjusting anyway...

Wanting to document the return to zero capability, I zero’d the 24” 6.5 CM barrel, removed and installed the 338LM barrel, zero’d it, and reinstalled the 6.5 barrel a week later. Using the recommended procedure of switching barrels in the vertical position, return to zero was about .25 moa to the left. Group was a relatively hurried shoot, I was load testing another rifle. These are 5 round groups. I believe this is within my own abilities of controlling my own errors in my holding/executing fundamentals.

Attachments

• D5C0F843-CF0A-4D68-AD27-1A6546902CCC.jpeg
    D5C0F843-CF0A-4D68-AD27-1A6546902CCC.jpeg
    242.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 6E6FE226-84B5-4E2E-9DC1-B1881835A650.jpeg
    6E6FE226-84B5-4E2E-9DC1-B1881835A650.jpeg
    373.3 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Reactions: haaaake
Ive been testing the ASR program for the Army. Barrett did a homerun of a job. That 300NM shoots so so well. Low recoil...great experience all together.

Garand Thumb just put up a nice video on the system with Kevin Owens.

It was in interesting to see a guy that seems to know so much about the platform screw up something as simple as how many rounds the mag holds or seem to be unaware that the mag is a proper double stack mag when asked lol

Reactions: TPE
New guy here - first post. I just ordered an MRAD SMR in 6.5 CM from Franz and crew. I have a Mark V HD and a Thunderbeast bipod for it, with an RC2 260 from Surefire in jail. I will compete in PRS and NRL mountain regions. Anybody have any tips for me when it comes? For example, I'm thinking I'll zero at 100 yards if its windy out and 200 yards if it's calm. Any other tips for me? Franz says I should have it in June....

Does the MRAD have a problem with piercing primers or anything due to the large firing pin? Or because of how the bolt lugs and the barrel extension work together to ensure correct headspace is it a non-issue?

Guilty admission I live twleworking. After a month of sitting at home with my wife and kids, all of us starting to feel like the house was a pressure cooker. Work finally let me go to our farm to telework outside the local area.

Now, there's no one for miles, the kids run around outside with the pets and such. I’ve been grateful for all this time with the family, and now that I’ve been here I get range time.

I got a deal on a vortex razor 4.5-27, i’d been saving for a ATACR to put in my scope less MRAD. I do not regret it at all this is every bit as good as the NXS I had really it’s better, though I don’t know if i’d prefer a 7-35.

Anyway, I finally got to shoot thai thing, during my wait i’d purchased a 22” 300WM and 17” heavy 308 barrel to go with it. I’ve started with .308 because I have the ammo, it’s easy to move around, it’s cheaper to shoot and I need the practice.

Did a rough zero at 100 yards with M80. The next day I shot 5 rounds of about 5 different boxes of ammo. The M80 sucks (147grn), this thing loves 75grn Federal Gold Medal
Match, I also shot Hornady 75grn ELD-X which groups pretty well but all 5 ahota of FGMM were touching with 3 practically in one hole.

Since then i’ve switched my range finder to meters, it’s an mil scope; the furthest I can get in my property without building a stand is 588 meters. I can make first shot hits on steel ipsc and soda cans at that range. My wind averages 2-4mph on a normal day and it’s consistently from one direction, or theirs no wind at all.

I’ve shot it weak handed and made hits, I put in 5 rounds and had 5 friends shoot it 200m and they all hit a 6” plate. It’s a laser, I can’t wait to work it out further and switch over to 338. I found a place I can get a 1.1 mile ahor but I need to get the land owner to allow me to set up a target.

It’s heavy but I love this rifle, I have a TMR’d 12-40 mk4 on the way to replace my athlon ares, it’s a nice scope, but I want to be able to have spotter call corrections without guessing.

I’m running an atlas 5H and a squeeze bag with bag rider, and all shots have been with a sandman-S. Down the road I may try and get a thunder beast so I can have as much fun with the 338. The .308 seems quieter than a suppressed 5.56 which makes plinking steel a joy.

Last edited:
How much was the machining to make the small breech work in a large breech?

I wonder what the differences actually are? Like will a large breech barrel thread into a small breech extension? Interior dimensions of the extension are different along with bolt head, bolt body, I'm sure.

I'm curious if the barrel is cut the same and just the extensions are different.

It’s lmost the same I can put a small breach barrel with extension in mh large breach, but you can’t push the torque bolts through.

Large breach barrels have two cuts for the boots to go theough across the extension. It looks like the cuts that pin an M4 front gas lock into place.

They didn’t charge anything, they said any barrels I want just buy direct and let them know and they would machine it before shipping. They did the service on a barrel I bought on here without knowing.

You mind taking some photos of all this? I'm always interested in the historical/version differences of this particular rifle.

I have an AJ prefix serial in the 1300s which is pretty early. It's large breech, but even mine doesn't have the torque bolts passing through the extension.

You mind taking some photos of all this? I'm always interested in the historical/version differences of this particular rifle.

I have an AJ prefix serial in the 1300s which is pretty early. It's large breech, but even mine doesn't have the torque bolts passing through the extension.

Bottom and aide profile, Barrett has to cut those two grooves, barrels typically come without them now.

7D6ACBC3-4197-471C-81FF-0951CD2A89A1.jpeg

1121C2CB-C91B-4D9A-AAFD-1CB779AEF6C4.jpeg

Reactions: LawnMM
Can we see one of the side of your receiver? I'm guessing they moved the bolts down a few tenths of an inch to avoid having to do that.

I've got a call in to them regarding the extensions. Specifically, I'm wondering if you can convert existing 'large breech' barrels to the newer 'small breech' ecosystem by swapping the extension.

The outer dimensions of the extension are already the same or small breech barrels wouldn't work in a large breech gun.

I have the small breech kit but it would be nice if I didn't have to swap receiver guides and bolt bodies when changing calibers.

I'm betting that the barrel blank machining is the same, so I think it's feasible you could move a large breech barrel into small breech land by swapping the extension. At 400 for a barrel builder kit that's cheaper than buying a whole new caliber conversion and less parts to carry around and swap out.

Sure, though my guess is you are correct they will work. My barrels do not
index off the “ top notch” front the insert.

I have to look through the holes to index the barrel then slip the bolts through.

It’s not an issue for me, and I can’t explain the changes. Although Barrett did say I had a new old stock model that should be n a museum, all I know is it shoots one ragged hole, and that is all I care about.

Last edited:
I don’t know how many alphabetical numerical prefixes there are but my SN is less than 50.

Attachments

• 9CC694E7-E834-4D6F-94A0-64B3529781A1.jpeg
    9CC694E7-E834-4D6F-94A0-64B3529781A1.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 189
20200520_233028.jpg

You can see different radius cuts on the upper around the pinch bolts.

I can actually see air between the top of the bolts and receiver material. Interesting to see the changes as they worked out kinks and came up with revisions.

I think these will be a lot more popular with Barrett winning that PSR MK22 contract.

View attachment 7331931
You can see different radius cuts on the upper around the pinch bolts.

I can actually see air between the top of the bolts and receiver material. Interesting to see the changes as they worked out kinks and came up with revisions.

I think these will be a lot more popular with Barrett winning that PSR MK22 contract.

Am I rich? I could use a PVS-30.

I was always kind jealous of the mlok lightened uppers.

I’m happy with the groups, on this NIB barrel
anyway, get to see if they all perform as well.

🤷🏼‍♂️ I thought AI deployment kits were insane expensive but people buy em, surgeons maybe? I dunno.

Never underestimate the military groupies that buy whatever socom delta ranger seals are using just because they use it!

MLOK is nice but I've got nothing against bolt on rails. I wouldn't mind a PVS 30 either 👹

Someday...

Reactions: E-Tool
Nice looking rifle 👌

Have heard the Norma's are barrel torchers. How many demo rounds on it?

Choosing between fluted/non-fluted for 300NM, is there an accuracy difference between the two config?

FYI the two stage trigger is pretty nice without adjusting anything. Swapped it out in about 30 seconds and gave it a try, I like.

Nice firm wall at the end of the first stage and a touch more pressure for the break. No excessive overtravel.

I do wish they'd have angled it forward a few degrees so it broke right at 90 instead of like 85 but not regretting the purchase.

Area 419 Sidewinder showed up so it's going to be playtime with the 338 again shortly. Then I want to grab a kit and work on a 37xc barrel.

Thought about going smaller but I'd be duplicating effort. Have a 308, have a 6.5cm, have a 6x47L, so maybe I'll go bigger instead of smaller 👹

What type of machining did you have done? Interested. @E-Tool
🤷🏼‍♂️ I thought AI deployment kits were insane expensive but people buy em, surgeons maybe? I dunno.

Never underestimate the military groupies that buy whatever socom delta ranger seals are using just because they use it!

MLOK is nice but I've got nothing against bolt on rails. I wouldn't mind a PVS 30 either 👹

Someday...

I just wish they’d make a rail with non rotating QD, every time I touch the sling it gets twisted. Sometimes that’s ok but under a 20lb rifle it gets a bit painful.

If you want one that bad call LRI I'm sure he could whip up a rail with a non rotating QD cup in short order

Reactions: E-Tool