• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

The new Shipping Wars??

HeavyAssault

Dog-Face One-Horse Pony-Soldier (AVN RGT)
Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2011
    Florida
    Just a few things I've been hearing about recently with regards to shipping thru USA ports.
    > Container ships are loaded up ready to offload. Just can't get to the dock.
    > Dock workers are considering a strike ....well cause why let a good crisis go to waste?
    > Hiring gap to fill CDL drivers has been growing wider/at it's widest point to date (has been wider longer) since June 2020
    > Coca-Cola seems to now be pushing it to the next level. They are moving away from buying container space to buying ship space. I.E Bulk loading their products into holds. Not loading their bottled products into containers.

Maybe it's time.....

EquatorialAshamedCob-max-1mb.gif

CDL schools were closed during the pandemic so no new truckers

out of work truckers found a new job

people retired

new mandates that over 21 years of age for cross state lines driving, many would be truck drivers already have a job by then

Reactions: HeavyAssault
    Didn't the Patriot act remove a LOT of drivers from CDL pool? Like drug convictions and felons, ex-cons?

people retired

new mandates that over 21 years of age for cross state lines driving, many would be truck drivers already have a job by then
    It also doesn't help the way the DOT has cracked down on medical cards and simple things that will now get you removed .
    Just one example , if you go for a physical and your blood pressure is a little high they use to give you a reasonable amount of time for you to get it under control . Now your done right then and there. The doc sends the info strait to the dot and you are disqualified from driving untill you can pass the physical .

It also doesn't help the way the DOT has cracked down on medical cards and simple things that will now get you removed .
    Just one example , if you go for a physical and your blood pressure is a little high they use to give you a reasonable amount of time for you to get it under control . Now your done right then and there. The doc sends the info strait to the dot and you are disqualified from driving untill you can pass the physical .
    What kind of doctor do you see?
    I have seen drivers that were far from qualified working.
    I retired in 2017 and have gone through some major medical stuff since.
    If I wanted to get my med certificate I'd have it before the end of the day, it's pretty hard to flunk a DOT physical.

I believe the CDL driver shortage has been in existence for a few years now. It's the shutdown of 2020/2021 that magnified the actual shortage.

people retired

I considered a career change to truck driving but it seems like an industry being ruined by large corporations and low hiring standards.

I've got a long lost cousin who has been an OTR trucker since his early 20's. He's now 62 and still driving from what I hear. I'm sure he's ready to hang it up, which I'm betting is what's also contributing to the lack of CDL drivers. It could be considered a dying art...

Corporate greed?? I mean you think O/O would have huge hayday coming all you got to do it seems is show up with a truck. Are they getting squeezed out??

I thought HotShot guys would be making it hand over fist as well....guess not.

What kind of doctor do you see?
    I have seen drivers that were far from qualified working.
    I retired in 2017 and have gone through some major medical stuff since.
    If I wanted to get my med certificate I'd have it before the end of the day, it's pretty hard to flunk a DOT physical.
    Most DOT physicals are done by whatever doctor your employer chooses to send you to. So you are at the mercy of what ever random doctor you end up with, and how strictly that particular doctor wants to follow the guidelines.
    You should know that if you are recently retired.
    Most of the changes to high blood pressure and sleep apnea have occurred within the last year and a half .
    I am simply sharing what I know to be true .

I swear , some of you guys just wanna argue for no dam reason at all .

And just so you know , we just had a driver a couple if weeks ago who left the physical and didn't even make it home before the safety department was calling him to say he was out of service till he could see his personal doc to get BP under control.

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot
    Just a few things I've been hearing about recently with regards to shipping thru USA ports.
    > Container ships are loaded up ready to offload. Just can't get to the dock.
    > Dock workers are considering a strike ....well cause why let a good crisis go to waste?
    > Hiring gap to fill CDL drivers has been growing wider/at it's widest point to date (has been wider longer) since June 2020
    > Coca-Cola seems to now be pushing it to the next level. They are moving away from buying container space to buying ship space. I.E Bulk loading their products into holds. Not loading their bottled products into containers.

Maybe it's time.....

EquatorialAshamedCob-max-1mb.gif
    Maybe thats why their importing all the illegals, to work the docks and drive the trucks. Just what we need, a million 18 wheelers on the road driven by illegal, illiterate, goat people. What could go wrong.

Maybe thats why their importing all the illegals, to work the docks and drive the trucks. Just what we need, a million 18 wheelers on the road driven by illegal, illiterate, goat people. What could go wrong.

They have been doing that with that trade agreement awhile back. NAFTA??? If I understand some points it was supposed to allow foreign drivers to enter our country to deliver goods. I may be wrong.

Reactions: Maggot
    You may not be that far off. What if by some chance there was a trucker strike like they tried in Australia , or if the vac mandates go through and there is another large loss of drivers ?
    They can't replace em with national guard , so just replace em with illegals, I'm sure they would wave away any requirements for them in a "emergency " .

DL schools were closed during the pandemic so no new truckers

people retired

Interstate has been 21+ for over 30 years. The FMCSA is researching to possibly change that.

Most DOT physicals are done by whatever doctor your employer chooses to send you to. So you are at the mercy of what ever random doctor you end up with, and how strictly that particular doctor wants to follow the guidelines.
    You should know that if you are recently retired.
    Most of the changes to high blood pressure and sleep apnea have occurred within the last year and a half .
    I am simply sharing what I know to be true .

I swear , some of you guys just wanna argue for no dam reason at all .

And just so you know , we just had a driver a couple if weeks ago who left the physical and didn't even make it home before the safety department was calling him to say he was out of service till he could see his personal doc to get BP under control.

I haven't seen many issues with blood pressure causing this but how high are we talking? I know one coworker fought to get his because he had some heart issues and had to do a stress test to get his medical card. I had a doctor want to fail me for migraines which is why I dropped my cdl. Didn't care about my other health issues that were more likely to be a concern. The sleep apnea is a huge red flag from what I've seen and requires you to jump through hoops.

There is somewhere around 72k truck drivers out of work for failing or refusing drug testing from what I read recently. Seeing what we hire for drivers is scary and it gets worse every year.

• Wow
    They have been doing that with that trade agreement awhile back. NAFTA??? If I understand some points it was supposed to allow foreign drivers to enter our country to deliver goods. I may be wrong.
    Youre correct. There may be a limit how far they can go in, Im not sure. I odnt think they can originate loads here, only what they bring from Mexico.

To add another issue with transportation is the parts shortages and issues finding decent mechanics. There are trucks down 3 plus months waiting on parts and now we are having issues getting filters and oil. The guy that delivers oil to us brought 150 gallons out of the 500 we ordered. They said there is a shortage of additive packages so they are splitting up what oil they have trying to keep everyone going. According to him the additive is made by four companies all out of texas. He said the power outage last winter put them behind and the hurricane is supposedly responsible for the current situation. Haven't verified the information but it's causing problems.

To add another issue with transportation is the parts shortages and issues finding decent mechanics. There are trucks down 3 plus months waiting on parts and now we are having issues getting filters and oil. The guy that delivers oil to us brought 150 gallons out of the 500 we ordered. They said there is a shortage of additive packages so they are splitting up what oil they have trying to keep everyone going. According to him the additive is made by four companies all out of texas. He said the power outage last winter put them behind and the hurricane is supposedly responsible for the current situation. Haven't verified the information but it's causing problems.
    You can add truck tires to that . Use too, my company would only put Michelin or Goodyear on our trucks and no recaps . It saved them money in the long run from the very low number of blow outs.
    Fast forward to now, they can't hardly even find a Goodyear or Michelin in stock. I was told the company just made some deal with double coin (Chinese truck tires ) and had a huge allotment set aside just so they would have some supply of tires.

You can add truck tires to that . Use too, my company would only put Michelin or Goodyear on our trucks and no recaps . It saved them money in the long run from the very low number of blow outs.
    Fast forward to now, they can't hardly even find a Goodyear or Michelin in stock. I was told the company just made some deal with double coin (Chinese truck tires ) and had a huge allotment set aside just so they would have some supply of tires.

We stocked up a while back so we haven't had to deal with that. It's crazy to see what is happening and it really makes a guy wonder how bad it is going to get. Heard 2022 is supposed to get worse but all we can do is wait and see.