• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes The New Vortex Razor 2019

I too have to question what a 34 or 35mm tube would accomplish for you? It has close to 28mil if travel already.

Most all top scopes are 34mm. All my mounts i have are 34mm and my leupold mark 5hd is a 35mm. I do have a 30mm scope but that scope is on my 22lr.

Supposably it will let in more light. I say it does but not enough to notice. So i am not all about this advantage.

It does help with having more surface area for yours rings. It would help more towards magnum calibers probably.

I also like having heavier scopes so this will help in the weight department. The mark 5hd is on the light side of things though. The gen ii 4.5-27x56 and like some schmidt and bender scopes they're pretty heavy.

There are also a ton of 34mm rings out there now to buy. There is also a decent amount of 35mm rings out there too now.

But my biggest reason for me is cause of how many 34mm and 35mm scope mounts i have.

Really hope an E version is announced, would put the Gen II back on my radar if they could lower it by 10-12 ounces.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Dont let a couple onces be a deal breaker..lol

I agree, but with the Gen 2 Razor you are talking 10-18oz which is a huge difference.
I'd put a 3-18x50 on my do everything rifle it it weighed in the 25-35oz range.

Gen 2 Razor with EBR-7 and $2k MAP is a really interesting development. That will really pit several very respectable scopes directly against each other: Raxzor Gen 2, Athlon Cronus, Delta Stryker HD, Burris XT III, Sig Tango6.

The $1500-$2000 range that was almost no-man's land a couple of years ago is becoming populated with some very capable scopes. It will be interesting to see if Leupold and Nightforce respond in any way.

ILya

Gen 2 Razor with EBR-7 and $2k MAP is a really interesting development. That will really pit several very respectable scopes directly against each other: Raxzor Gen 2, Athlon Cronus, Delta Stryker HD, Burris XT III, Sig Tango6.

The $1500-$2000 range that was almost no-man's land a couple of years ago is becoming populated with some very capable scopes. It will be interesting to see if Leupold and Nightforce respond in any way.

ILya

A 5-25x FFP SHV with a Mil-C and true zero stop would certainly be a step in the right direction. Shoot, even keeping the Mil-R but with a few updates and the higher mag range would help. I've heard the SHV 4-14x is a great scope, but it lacks the mag range and features that would really give it the power to rule over the "entry" market while still retaining NF quality. But I digress...

As for me and my house, the $2K MAP w/ EBR-7C certainly shakes things up for me! My DMRII Pro is a great scope, but the Razor is a definite step above as far as features go. These new developments certainly aren't help me make any decisions with regard to planning future builds!

Reactions: TheMammoth
Was getting ready to order 2x 3-18 x 50's for my Sako Quads in early December and heard the rumors about the EBR-7 coming to the Gen 2; between the probable availability of the EBR-7 and SHOT show coming up I decided to hold off ordering. Glad I waited as now it's the EBR-7 *and* a price drop!

Still going to wait until after SHOT show to order anything... who knows what other manufacturers might have surprises waiting.

A 5-25x FFP SHV with a Mil-C and true zero stop would certainly be a step in the right direction. Shoot, even keeping the Mil-R but with a few updates and the higher mag range would help. I've heard the SHV 4-14x is a great scope, but it lacks the mag range and features that would really give it the power to rule over the "entry" market while still retaining NF quality. But I digress...

As for me and my house, the $2K MAP w/ EBR-7C certainly shakes things up for me! My DMRII Pro is a great scope, but the Razor is a definite step above as far as features go. These new developments certainly aren't help me make any decisions with regard to planning future builds!

Optically, existing SHVs are not competitive with the other ones I mentioned. Good scopes otherwise.

ILya

Reactions: TheMammoth
I’m running a g2 rzr 3-18. I was planning to jump to a 3-20 PM2 this year. The new reticle and pricing has me thinking about adding another rzr to the stable.

Optically, existing SHVs are not competitive with the other ones I mentioned. Good scopes otherwise.

ILya

Understood. My comments were not meant to be all-inclusive with regards to changes that could or should be made, simply that adding those features would at least even them up somewhat with the $1000-1400 or so range. I agree though, NF's response will be interesting indeed!

Understood. My comments were not meant to be all-inclusive with regards to changes that could or should be made, simply that adding those features would at least even them up somewhat with the $1000-1400 or so range. I agree though, NF's response will be interesting indeed!

SHV is sort of an interesting beast. In terms of optical quality, they are somewhat close to Gen 2 PSTs, but they have the Nightforce name and Nightforce fan club, which helps. Both optically and mechanically, they are perfectly solid and robust, but rather unadventurous designs. There is nothing wrong with that, but as the competition gets better, there is only so far you can get on reputation.

The gap between SHV and ATACR is a little too big, IMO. I hope Nightforce is planning to make some use out of the NX8 name to fill that gap.

ILya

Really hope an E version is announced, would put the Gen II back on my radar if they could lower it by 10-12 ounces.

Ding. ding. ding.

I too hope they announce an e-version Rzr (or something along that line). From the rumors I've heard, it'll be a really sweet setup. I'm hoping this is the year they finally step into the market....

Reactions: 5RWill

ILya

Wouldn’t the mark 5 be the answer? Right in the price range with similar feature set

Do people actually use that? I always figured it was mostly just a damage risk keeping a battery in there for months/years at a time. I find illuminated reticles annoying and harder to aim with (except in VERY low light, obviously). I was always the guy with copious amounts of electrical tape completely covering the fiberoptic on my ACOG (tritium alone lit it just enough at night).

edit to add: FWIW, I did use a 4.5-27x Razor II and I think it was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I swapped it for a March 3-24x, swapped my chassis for a EH1, and got a new Proof CF barrel spun up and dropped like 7-8 pounds. Loved it. 11-13lb is nice for a precision rig IMO.

Wouldn’t the mark 5 be the answer? Right in the price range with similar feature set

Its doesnt have locking turrets and its so much lighter than the gen ii. Clicks on a gen ii are amazing compared to almost any other scope. Thats my opinion though.

That’s the only time you would use it, in very LOW light. Why would you use it in broad daylight when you can see the reticle?
Do people actually use that? I always figured it was mostly just a damage risk keeping a battery in there for months/years at a time. I find illuminated reticles annoying and harder to aim with (except in VERY low light, obviously). I was always the guy with copious amounts of electrical tape completely covering the fiberoptic on my ACOG (tritium alone lit it just enough at night).

edit to add: FWIW, I did use a 4.5-27x Razor II and I think it was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I swapped it for a March 3-24x, swapped my chassis for a EH1, and got a new Proof CF barrel spun up and dropped like 7-8 pounds. Loved it. 11-13lb is nice for a precision rig IMO.

This is shaping up to be an exciting year!
Hey, Scott, any chance you could give us average folks a "here is the skinny on all things scopes from Shot..." rundown? I've been stashing away a little cash for my new rifle coming next month in hopes of topping it with something in the razor line.
Thought I still had a few months of saving to go, but with the new announcements- it may be time.

I heard the 7-35 glass is suppose to be far superior to NF 5-25 I wish I owned one so I could compare it to the Kahles 525i

I have/had all of these. The glass is a little better on the 7-35 vs the 5-25 NF. More importantly scopes are better when run in the middle of there range, so at the mag I normally run (15-18x) in a match it’s very good. I had the Kahles 5-25. It’s a very good scope as well. Glass is better on it vs the 624. Well it has slightly better CA. The k525 CA is similar to my 5-25 PMII. But I think the ergonomics of it because of the short scope body leave some things to be desired. The eye box is more finicky and it always seemed to have a thick scope body when looking through it, so it looked “tunneled” (ebbed though it was not) at all mag ranges. The 7-35 is great and on par with the SB PMII. Love the mil-c reticle too

Wouldn't the money spent chasing the latest and greatest scope be better spent shooting in the wind and from odd positions?

Isn't that how more points are lost in PRS style shooting?
Thanks for bringing up this point, spend the money training. The result will be more hits from greater distances, over more variables ie. WIND

Thanks for bringing up this point, spend the money training. The result will be more hits from greater distances, over more variables ie. WIND
Training and practice? That's crazy talk!

Won't be at SHOT this year, I know they say it is the industry's "can't miss" event, but I'm gonna miss it. Once upon a time, our SHOT report was an anticipated event and maybe I will get back there again. I just really, really, really hate Las Vegas. Wish they would bring it back to Orlando. Not gonna happen it seems.

I will be adding the new Razor Gen II to the website tonight, the early bird gets the big juicy worm for sure.....

Won't be at SHOT this year, I know they say it is the industry's "can't miss" event, but I'm gonna miss it. Once upon a time, our SHOT report was an anticipated event and maybe I will get back there again. I just really, really, really hate Las Vegas. Wish they would bring it back to Orlando. Not gonna happen it seems.

I will be adding the new Razor Gen II to the website tonight, the early bird gets the big juicy worm for sure.....

Just go ahead and admit it. You are simply trying to avoid me.

ILya

Once upon a time, our SHOT report was an anticipated event and maybe I will get back there again. I just really, really, really hate Las Vegas.

Your Shot report was THE optics update of record. I miss the unvarnished truth that you would dispense. That said, I get it, I share your disdain for Vegas and will never go there unless forced.

Thank you my friend. New Razors added to our website.

Damn Scott... that sound everyone just heard was the resale prices of the current EBR-2C models having their legs kicked out from under them. With the new price on the EBR-7B models that's a lot of scope for the money and they'll probably sell a ton of them. If Vortex ever releases an "E" model shaving 10-12 ounces and keeps the pricing similar they'll own an even larger huge chunk of the market for sure.

The impulsive side of me wants to preorder 2x 3-18 EBR-7C 3-18's right now, but the sensible part of me is saying to wait a few days until SHOT show just in case... not sure what side of me is going to win this battle, LOL

Last edited:
That’s the only time you would use it, in very LOW light. Why would you use it in broad daylight when you can see the reticle?

It's actually surprising just how fast the reticle can disappear when shooting into shaded areas even during daylight hours. White painted targets no problem, but unpainted or brown fury things under think cover can hide the reticle pretty quick without illumination.

Reactions: davere
It's actually surprising just how fast the reticle can disappear when shooting into shaded areas even during daylight hours. White painted targets no problem, but unpainted or brown fury things under think cover can hide the reticle pretty quick without illumination.

Exactly. I use my illumination at matches when shooting at dark steel or into shaded areas or whenever I need to see it better. Amazing how many people don't realize the usefulness of an illuminated reticle.

I understand that and I agree but when the reticle washes out you turn it on. I know there are times when you cant turn it on but if thats the case, should you even really take the shot? Snap shots when hunting doesnt sound too ethical to me. If you can make a snap shot with out worry of wounding an animal then is illumination really an issue? Also, the Razor isnt a hunting scope so why is hunting mentioned in this discussion?

If you're talking about gaming well then i dont know what to say if you dont have time to turn the reticle on.

To me its simple....Cant see the reticle? Turn it on.

I couldn't get goosed qoutes to post...

Last edited:
Looking to buy a scope soon for a build I’m doing ,it is so crazy with new products coming out and old models discontinued! Best deal I have is time (research,wait for a deal)

Reactions: Subwrx300
Looking to buy a scope soon for a build I’m doing ,it is so crazy with new products coming out and old models discontinued! Best deal I have is time (research,wait for a deal)
Super good scope for the money, Tim. See you at the club tomorrow if your shooting.

Planning on shooting unless Cory finds a cat coming out of the section he found Saturday.

I am stoked to hear about this. Not that I am going to run out and buy a new G2 Rzr with the newer reticle but I am a big Vortex fan with a total of 6 of their scopes already including 1 G2 Rzr, 2 G2 Pst, 3 G1 Pst. This shows Vortex is committed to meeting customer demands and product improvement. It also means I can upgrade a few of mine when y’all upgrade yours and flood the PX with your cast offs. Win-win. Way to go Vortex!

I'm going on record predicting a GEN III will will drop in the next 12 months. The drop in GEN II MAP allows them to reduce existing inventory and the new reticles will be incorporated in GEN III.
GEN III pricing will be more in-line with the competition and GEN II's will be a great value option.

I remember when GEN I's prices dropped to $12-1300 when GEN II's dropped....

I'm going on record predicting a GEN III will will drop in the next 12 months. The drop in GEN II MAP allows them to reduce existing inventory and the new reticles will be incorporated in GEN III.
GEN III pricing will be more in-line with the competition and GEN II's will be a great value option.

I remember when GEN I's prices dropped to $12-1300 when GEN II's dropped....

The problem with that theory is, there is very little to no existing inventory of the EBR-2C MRAD series right now and the new scopes with the new reticles have not even arrived yet. Not saying a Gen III is not possible but it is a moot point for 2019 at the least. And if the Gen III is a brand new model (like the jump from the Gen I to the Gen II), it might be delayed in production for months into 2020 before we see them.

Vortex has a history of lowering prices on established models as production efficiency increases or as supply builds up. They also are not afraid to drop a SKU or two if they just sit in the warehouse, even if the model is just a couple of years old.

The problem with that theory is, there is very little to no existing inventory of the EBR-2C MRAD series right now and the new scopes with the new reticles have not even arrived yet. Not saying a Gen III is not possible but it is a moot point for 2019 at the least. And if the Gen III is a brand new model (like the jump from the Gen I to the Gen II), it might be delayed in production for months into 2020 before we see them.

Vortex has a history of lowering prices on established models as production efficiency increases or as supply builds up. They also are not afraid to drop a SKU or two if they just sit in the warehouse, even if the model is just a couple of years old.

I didn't necessarily mean built products on the shelf, but components in their supply line..