• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The next "Big Thing" or a concept soon forgotten?

GTOJOSH

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2018
I took my kids to a shooting event a month or two ago at a large outdoor training facility that had lots of booths from vendors selling, and allowing you to drool over their products. Many supressor companies showed up, and I got to shoot the internally supressed Maxim 9 pistol at the "beat the pro" booth. I ran into a friend who had just come from another booth for Uintah Precision and we both told each other to go to the booth we'd just visited.
Has anyone else seen one of these?

https://uintahprecision.com

It is a bolt action upper for your ar rifle. Ar15 for small action type items, and Ar10 obviously for .308, 6.5cm, etc.
The show was at a low spot and these guys let my kids shoot the new .224 valkyrie for what seemed like ever plinking prairie dog targets out at 150yards. It seemed like a neat idea, and I'd love to hear from anyone who may have one as to their quirks, etc.
I think it'd be nice for an ar10 set up where it feeds from factory mags, etc. I found nothing in any of the forums here- Any thoughts?

JP has been doing this for a while. There have been numerous “tube gun” platforms in highpower as well. Elisio comes to mind first.

I’m not super enamored with them personally. I can build a lighter and more ergonomic bolt action rifle. If I have to put up with AR10 ergos and weight, it should probably be a proper AR10.

Sooo... its an RPR or a Q Fix? Cool concept though, but I think Ruger and Q beat them to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
I bet bolt operation feels like caca. You're pulling back against hammer spring force as the passes over the hammer and pushes it back down to the sear, then no resistance?

For $1300, why not buy another rifle, one designed as a bolt action to begin with?

Tube guns and the RPR are not an AR lower with a bolt action upper slapped on it. The RPR is conceptually the same as the TUBB2000. Tube guns are a DIY version of the T2K.

It would be an interesting way to keep an AR unregistered in states like mine (CA). Kind of the same concept as converting an AR to .22LR; keeps you safe from the registration rules, since it's not a semi-automatic centerfire rifle with evil features.

Another important factor to consider would be lock time, I don't know of any AR fire control that can compete with a quality bolt action in that respect.
Indeed lock time of even the best AR trigger groups is about 3 times that of a bolt action rifle

Another important factor to consider would be lock time, I don't know of any AR fire control that can compete with a quality bolt action in that respect.
Physically, it's almost impossible. A bolt action striker is already moving towards the primer while the AR's hammer is still making its way to the firing pin.

It would be an interesting way to keep an AR unregistered in states like mine (CA). Kind of the same concept as converting an AR to .22LR; keeps you safe from the registration rules, since it's not a semi-automatic centerfire rifle with evil features.
Good point. An AR upper can be kept on the side.

The Pump action AR uppers would probably be a bit easier to deal with than making a bolt action upper for the AR.

I shot their version on the ar-15 platform with the .224 Valkyrie (not as heavily as my kids did), but noticed after firing that the movement of the bolt out of the locked and forward position- to the up position so it could be drawn back is where the resistance was, followed by a smooth bolt operation to the full rear position, and back in. One of my questions for anyone who may have one was related to what 308pirate mentioned- does the bolt have a small arm that protrudes down to reset the trigger, hammer, etc when lifted? I think for those who have already spent serious money "perfecting" their ar series lower with expensive stocks, triggers, pistol grips, etc and regularly train to be comfortable with that platform, it's point of trigger break and report, etc would find this interesting.
I'll admit I'm intrigued by it's inner workings, though I did order a bolt action precision rifle not even two weeks after this event. Still curious about a few things if anyone chimes up with one.

I see this being for the guy who doesnt already have a traditional precision bolt gun. I woulda been all over this before I got my bolt guns.
Almost everyone has an AR and this could help merge the two markets some more.
They would already know how to swap barrels and other parts, all their AR accessories would work, they are familiar with the ergonomics etc...
The biggest obstacle to overcome would be the fact that the MSRP is in CTR and Ruger RPR territory. At that point, I feel most people would opt for getting a whole gun rather than just an upper.
I am curious to see what the bolt feels like myself though.

New products and ideas are always good. This would be a good option for those in ban states who what something that looks like an AR15. It doesn't fill any role for me though.
so how does it get around the whole ' you still have an AR15 lower problem?' like is Mass where you can have pre-ban or nothing...can't readily buy just a lower to even put this on

California has some very gray "intent to construct" laws, so having a lower with a bolt or rimfire upper helps get around that. I suspect it is due to the very precise working of the laws that define an "assault weapon", that allows the loop holes like this. And "intent to construct" is a slippery slope that the libs are loathe to try and prosecute, lest it end up in the SCOTUS and overturn all their "hard work" trying to disarm a lot of us. Remember, a lower can be used as a pistol as well or non-semi auto straight pull rifle. So if they outlaw a lower, they're asking for a lawsuit they don't want.

The state's damn near broke; they can't afford to defend a weak law.

I see this being for the guy who doesnt already have a traditional precision bolt gun. I woulda been all over this before I got my bolt guns.
Almost everyone has an AR and this could help merge the two markets some more.
They would already know how to swap barrels and other parts, all their AR accessories would work, they are familiar with the ergonomics etc...
The biggest obstacle to overcome would be the fact that the MSRP is in CTR and Ruger RPR territory. At that point, I feel most people would opt for getting a whole gun rather than just an upper.
I am curious to see what the bolt feels like myself though.

That's exactly where I'm at. I ordered a (here goes all the why would you waste your money remington haters comments) Remington 700 PCR shortly after this show thanks to a special deal I got through a friend at this show in 6.5CM. Of course I still have yet to see the rifle since they're back ordered, but I got mine using this promo for just under 700$. So I got an entire chassis rifle that I know what it is for less than one of these uppers. I also picked up a cosmetic blem drop in trigger for it for cheap, and a straight cant ar pistol grip for it for 9$ while I was there. (The pcr takes ar furniture, and the pistol grip was my only gripe on their display model). Did I really need another bolt action rifle that will force me to save for another scope? Of course I did!

Very interesting.

Price is a little high IMHO. That’s in RPR, Howa, tikka etc.... territory. If they were 500-700 dollar range then I could see them taking off.

I would like to handle one compared to POF’s straight pull ar15 upper or the new lancer straight pull rifle. These last two use the buttstock spring to assist in closing the bolt.

Reactions: zpurdie
so how does it get around the whole ' you still have an AR15 lower problem?' like is Mass where you can have pre-ban or nothing...can't readily buy just a lower to even put this on

Change the name/engraving on the lowers and call them the BR-15...

I think our resident lawncare and pond management expert is actively working on a solution.

Screenshot_20190816-103745_Chrome.jpg

Any more info or reviews?

Maybe if someone had a SBR or pistol Lower they could build a pretty sweet SBR bolt gun in 300blk, 6.5G, or 223 and suppress it. Might be a nice compact backpacking set up to truck gun.

The trick would be work up a new spring loaded firing pin and bolt carrier so you get the lock time down to bolt gun times and keep the modularity of the AR platform.

For the guys saying Ruger and Q came up with it first, this has been around since before either of them existed, Q as a company and the RPR wasn't even out yet.

They miss the mark by making it a bolt action AR10. No advantage really.

I took my kids to a shooting event a month or two ago at a large outdoor training facility that had lots of booths from vendors selling, and allowing you to drool over their products. Many supressor companies showed up, and I got to shoot the internally supressed Maxim 9 pistol at the "beat the pro" booth. I ran into a friend who had just come from another booth for Uintah Precision and we both told each other to go to the booth we'd just visited.
Has anyone else seen one of these?

https://uintahprecision.com

It is a bolt action upper for your ar rifle. Ar15 for small action type items, and Ar10 obviously for .308, 6.5cm, etc.
The show was at a low spot and these guys let my kids shoot the new .224 valkyrie for what seemed like ever plinking prairie dog targets out at 150yards. It seemed like a neat idea, and I'd love to hear from anyone who may have one as to their quirks, etc.
I think it'd be nice for an ar10 set up where it feeds from factory mags, etc. I found nothing in any of the forums here- Any thoughts?
Tried to use your link, got a virus warning right away. Heads up if you used it and you don't have an anti-virus program that scans sites before it displays them you might want to run a virus check.

The trick would be work up a new spring loaded firing pin and bolt carrier so you get the lock time down to bolt gun times and keep the modularity of the AR platform.

For the guys saying Ruger and Q came up with it first, this has been around since before either of them existed, Q as a company and the RPR wasn't even out yet.

They miss the mark by making it a bolt action AR10. No advantage really.

I can see your point about the modularity of the AR platform but in reality it's just a new set of problems in search of old answers.
I love my 68spc AR's and when I first started wanting one in a bolt action I allways seemed to return to the same answers. There are far better and more capable chamberings if running a bolt gun so I just left it at that and enjoy the 68spc in the platform it was designed aroumd.

Here is the new link deleted (seems to work with my iPhone no issue).

Google
uintahprecision
For website

Looks like you can choose the ar15 or ar10 platform. I may have to email them about barrels and such to find out more.

Wonder how well it cycles.

Last edited:
New link same virus. Took this screenshot this time.

Attachments

• Virus.jpg
    Virus.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: SonicBurlap
I own one, and I have to say I love it.
I prefer the action much over a desert tech I shoot regularly, but for sure there is going to be smoother actions out there. I think a lot of people write it off because it seems so gimmicky. However it’s worked for me, I shoot quarter moa 5 shot groups with it, I put 4000 rounds through it (6.5cm) and at the end of its life it still shot less than half inch groups. On top of that I can get two shots in the air at the same time at 1000 yards and get impacts, I shoot out to 2000 yards with back to back hits on a regular basis. For the first time I tried taking it out to 2800 yards, I took five shots and we couldn’t see any splash, I went back and watched the film and all the shots were landing within 1 foot of each other. So for those of you wanting some feedback that is it, I’m not trying to toot my own horn, just letting you know my experience with it. I’m not associated to them, but i rep their product hard because I think it’s a hell of a product. You can see some posts and videos on my IG Boltactionbrotherhood.
I will tell you one flaw I have found in it that drivers me nuts. The Upr-10’s use an Ar-10 firing pin that has a diameter of .078 which makes primers crater like a mofo. You can’t even get near max pressure without the primers flowing into the boltface.
that being said with the 153 atips I can still get them moving to 2800 FPS with RL 26 and about 2750 with Rl-16.
That being said I’ve worked with them on a new bolt using a small firing pin, which I believe their next version of the bolt will include that.
The other downside is you are restricted to the Ar-10 magazine. Longest you can fit in there is 2.870 coal (ASC mag) . But for me personally I single feed 90% of the time with the type of shooting I tend to enjoy.
I have never noticed an issue with lock time, but never thought to much about it either. let me know if you guys have any questions!
End of the day I think it can perform with the best of them, and honestly have never been outshot by another 6.5, and it typically out performs any caliber rifle I have shot along side at long range. (Not saying it’s superior, just saying it can perform great if you do your job)

BoltActionBrotherhood,
This is extremely encouraging to hear! I just purchased (yet to receive) my UPR15 from them in 6.5 Grendel and I am excited yet nervous for it. A few of my buddies said it was a stupid purchase and you can just buy a precision rifle for that price, but a few factors that played into my decision to proceed with purchasing one are:
1. I already had an AR-15 lower sitting around to build something on, yet I already have 2 5.56 AR's built for different purposes, so I wanted something different
2. I live in NY so we have an "assault" weapons ban, so I have to build AR's either unsafely with a locked mag or featureless which tends to be less ergonomic.
3. I wanted a round (6.5 grendel) that can reach out further than my 5.56 but still AR-15 platform, yet also something I could hunt with
4. No one I knows owns one, so I can be different and unique which is cool
5. I wanted to post a photo for all my snowflake friends to see what they say like "Why does anyone need a weapon of war like that" and I can turn around and say, Its a bolt action so :p haha

Good man, when did you order it? They usually ship out pretty fast! I have a upr-15 as well in 224 valkyrie, and was shocked how well it did out at one mile.
You will be very happy with it, make sure to find a mag that works well for you etc.
Let me know if you have any questions.

I ordered it like a week and a half ago. It arrives tomorrow. They were backed up because of shot show. I was between the .224 and 6.5 and decided 6.5 for its knock down power for deer hunting and the fact that I live in NY so we really dont have many options to shoot beyond 300 yards really lol. I probably could have gone with 300bo, but I want to get a pistol in that caliber so I voted against it. I cant wait! I know a few guys who said it was a stupid purchase are still looking forward to seeing/shooting it lol

And as far as the mag, I just purchased my mag from them as well. I paid like $10 more than if i bought somewhere else, but I would assume they sell mags that are known to work with their uppers, so it was a safer bet.

The upper that is now being mated to there own lower has went on Diet! Why till now! Should have had the fat trimmed from the start! Damn it!

Attachments

• 20191209_100200.jpg
    20191209_100200.jpg
    678.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 20191215_193646.jpg
    20191215_193646.jpg
    615.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 20191209_100152.jpg
    20191209_100152.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 121
Heads up! There triggers that don't work unless you weld the strike side of the hammer then mill it flat Timney is one.

Attachments

• 20200118_112515.jpg
    20200118_112515.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 47
twissted,
I actually got a Velocity Trigger free with my upper and I already use Velocity Triggers on my other AR's, so I am a happy camper :D In regards to the upper, are you saying the one I purchased will be the "on a diet" type, or only the ones that are sold with their complete rifles are?

Very interesting thread. I've just ordered one of these so, it's good to hear some are getting good performance out of them.

I have a question about lock time though. Yes, the lock time will be slower on this style of action due to the distance the hammer must move and the separate firing pin. However, how does lock time affect the shooter/shot?

Lock time is an issue with any shootign position that is not well supported and stable, non issue when shotting from a bench or prone from ither a rest or a very stable bipod. In all other positions it might show . There is a reason all sling shooters shoot actions with shortest lock time possible .

Last edited:
Reactions: Rastoff
Lock time is an issue with any shootign position that is not well supported and stable, non issue when shotting form a bench or prone from ither a rest or a very stable bipod. In all other positions it might show . There is a reason all sling shooters shoot actions with shortest lock time possible .
I figured it might be something like that. In the shotgun sports I hear people complain about lock time regularly. However, most of them don't even know what it is. In precision shooting, I could see it being an issue if you're able to move the gun prior to the firing pin striking the primer. At long distance even a tiny bit of movement will dramatically affect POI.

My intended use will be 99% prone or bench rested.

Tiny bit related in sling shooting centerfire has always been the easy one and air rifle the hardest ,purely because in addition to locktime ,barrel times are slow , in rimfire back in the 90's there was a time when many experimented with short barrels purely as a way to cut barrel time ,they could prove the difference ,but on the other hand short barrels in rimfire tend to be far more picky of ammo ,so short barrels more or less faded from the scene. In F class and BR now days they are going for heavy firing pins ,longer pin fals and lock times are getting longer as a resoult but the ignition from these heavier firing pins is more consistent with good SD and ES numbers. That is of course not to be equated to super slow hammer fired ignitions, these still suck .