• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision The Official: Steiner C35 Thermal Clip-on Review and User Thread!

Imo clip ons are kind of a niche item and most people are better served with a dedicated scope especially if it's your only device. It's the last piece you get vrs the 1st if you are getting multiple devices. For me the benefit is eye relief and cheekweld especially when shooting prone at longer ranges. Not being much of a long range shooter to begin with it was worth the $ to me to just get something that clipped on in front of my day scope vrs reinventing the wheel for nighttime.

There are a lot of downsides the biggest being the weight and it trashes the balance of your rifle. The controls are also awkward to operate offhand. It's doable with some practice but much easier on a dedicated scope. These downsides can be mitigated with a smaller optic like an acog or the new chicom micro prisms but at that point you're basically at the functionality of a dedicated scope with some extra weight and complexity thrown in.

Clip-ons seem to be the latest hottness and that will probably end up with a lot of folks getting one because it looks cool and being disappointed in what they end up with. I'm hoping this will result in me picking up my 2nd yoter used at round 3.5k😁
Damn man!! I running both an ATN Thor 4 - 640 and a flagship pulsar LRF 50 and was hoping to find a clip on I can get out past 400 yards mounted in front of my glass day optics. Before you people start lecturing me about ATN, know that the ATNs laser range finder/on board ballistic calculator is Stoopid accurate (so far max is a crow out to 400 yards), but gives up resolution to the Pulsar LRF. Pulsar's range finder SUCKS balls but image is amazing. I want something to replace both of them, that I can jump from rifle to rifle without dicking with zeros. That's the info that would be helpful to me, a guy who night hunts and shoots long range a lot. Seems like all these clip ons suck after about 4-8x magnification...maybe I'm wrong... enlighten me please, it is needed and I'd love nothing more that to have one thermal that serves all platforms

Reactions: deersniper
I was taught the number one rule of gun safety was never point a firearm in a direction where if it went bang it would do any damage. I.e. treat all firearms as if they were loaded. Alec Baldwin I’m thinking of you.

This next part is a joke.

Oh wait it’s a cat no problem.

I love my cat that was a joke.
Well on a bright note, this dude shot 27 people and only one died, so your chances of surviving can be pretty good.

Kids as young as 19 months old were hit.

But what is amazing is his bond was set at only $100,000. :rolleyes:

Anyone know of a good rail system to test clip ons with room for a scope so I don't have to use my rifle, my neighbors don't appreciate me aiming my unloaded AR-10 at my cat in the front yard.
Cadex surveillance rig does exactly this if you get the scope adapter with it. I have one and it is the tits. Not inexpensive though.

It’s been requested by others in a couple threads without an answer so I’ll throw it here…

Anyone have a comparison to the Yoter C?

What’s advertised: 35 oz vs 20, 2 yr warranty vs 5, has WiFi and video 16GB vs none, FOV 12.5 x 9.4 vs 8.8 x 7.0 degrees, 800 x 600 OLED vs 1024 x 768 OLED, 1-8x vs 1,2,4x digital zoom, 18s vs 5s boot up time to list a few.
Very interested in the same thing......

Reactions: brettb614
Damn man!! I running both an ATN Thor 4 - 640 and a flagship pulsar LRF 50 and was hoping to find a clip on I can get out past 400 yards mounted in front of my glass day optics. Before you people start lecturing me about ATN, know that the ATNs laser range finder/on board ballistic calculator is Stoopid accurate (so far max is a crow out to 400 yards), but gives up resolution to the Pulsar LRF. Pulsar's range finder SUCKS balls but image is amazing. I want something to replace both of them, that I can jump from rifle to rifle without dicking with zeros. That's the info that would be helpful to me, a guy who night hunts and shoots long range a lot. Seems like all these clip ons suck after about 4-8x magnification...maybe I'm wrong... enlighten me please, it is needed and I'd love nothing more that to have one thermal that serves all platforms

The yoter does 8x fine on my g3 and 10x when I tried it with an adjustable parallax. The yoter is the bare bones economy model of clip-ons . If you want much more than that you're probably going to have to bump up lense size and open your wallet.

The yoter does 8x fine on my g3 and 10x when I tried it with an adjustable parallax. The yoter is the bare bones economy model of clip-ons . If you want much more than that you're probably going to have to bump up lense size and open your wallet.
Appreciate the info brother...still in research mode currently. The units in this thread have my attention

I know this is the c35 thread but since they are essentially the same here's some pics of the s35. These were taken through the Steiner Connect app, so I'm not sure if quality is degraded as the picture is compressed and sent over wifi to my phone. The first three pics are of rodents or squirrels or something across the street.
20220516192457.jpeg
20220516192517.jpeg
20220516192477.jpeg

This is an image after thermal crossover of an individual across the street maybe 150-200 feet away I believe at 1x (i was drinking so don't remember)?

20220516205503 (2).jpeg

These were three individuals at max zoom (8x) probably 300-400 feet away?

20220516195078.jpeg

My settings for the unit was sharpness on and I was manually NUCing every minute or so to keep the image clean (again these pics were taken before, during, and after crossover). I think at 1-3x it seems ok however past that the image really becomes degraded. Those three individuals who were maybe 300-400 feet away were completely unidentifiable, i could tell they were human but other than that I could get no further detail. Even the picture of the person across the street was unidentifiable. I think maybe I'm still not using the best settings or not too smart on how to best operate it. Also my only comparison is using cooled thermals that hang off airplanes and are able to positively identify a person from extreme distances, so maybe my expectations were not fair. I think this thermal is a cool toy and should be able to detect animals out to "medium" distances but I'm pretty disappointed in the quality of the image.

I am going to try to figure out a mounting solution for my breach when I get back from vaca...going to mount in front of my Steiner tx5i 5-25. I'll send images if there's anything close to success.

Any suggestions for mounting would be appreciated!

Imo clip ons are kind of a niche item and most people are better served with a dedicated scope especially if it's your only device. It's the last piece you get vrs the 1st if you are getting multiple devices. For me the benefit is eye relief and cheekweld especially when shooting prone at longer ranges. Not being much of a long range shooter to begin with it was worth the $ to me to just get something that clipped on in front of my day scope vrs reinventing the wheel for nighttime.

There are a lot of downsides the biggest being the weight and it trashes the balance of your rifle. The controls are also awkward to operate offhand. It's doable with some practice but much easier on a dedicated scope. These downsides can be mitigated with a smaller optic like an acog or the new chicom micro prisms but at that point you're basically at the functionality of a dedicated scope with some extra weight and complexity thrown in.

Clip-ons seem to be the latest hottness and that will probably end up with a lot of folks getting one because it looks cool and being disappointed in what they end up with. I'm hoping this will result in me picking up my 2nd yoter used at round 3.5k😁
I get what your saying on a lot of that but I sure find it handy hog hunting. Before dark a guy can be hunting with day optic then when it gets dark use the clip on. I hunted with a group of guys that were swapping day optics for dedicated thermal daily and that was a pain if you wanted to only take one gun.

I am going to try to figure out a mounting solution for my breach when I get back from vaca...going to mount in front of my Steiner tx5i 5-25. I'll send images if there's anything close to success.

Any suggestions for mounting would be appreciated!
Breach will really struggle with 5x minimum (my NOX18 maxes out at 4x in great conditions). Wish I had a way to help you with the weapon mount.

ETA: I don't use the NOX as a clip on for anything other than for fun. It isn't collimated well enough to function as a clip on

Last edited:
I get what your saying on a lot of that but I sure find it handy hog hunting. Before dark a guy can be hunting with day optic then when it gets dark use the clip on. I hunted with a group of guys that were swapping day optics for dedicated thermal daily and that was a pain if you wanted to only take one gun.
This right here^^^
Plus, I don't know about you fellers, but I like to confirm my zero after swapping optics...I've found that "return to zero" is a relative term fo sho

I know this is the c35 thread but since they are essentially the same here's some pics of the s35. These were taken through the Steiner Connect app, so I'm not sure if quality is degraded as the picture is compressed and sent over wifi to my phone. The first three pics are of rodents or squirrels or something across the street.View attachment 7871397View attachment 7871395View attachment 7871396

This is an image after thermal crossover of an individual across the street maybe 150-200 feet away I believe at 1x (i was drinking so don't remember)?

View attachment 7871411

These were three individuals at max zoom (8x) probably 300-400 feet away?

View attachment 7871416

My settings for the unit was sharpness on and I was manually NUCing every minute or so to keep the image clean (again these pics were taken before, during, and after crossover). I think at 1-3x it seems ok however past that the image really becomes degraded. Those three individuals who were maybe 300-400 feet away were completely unidentifiable, i could tell they were human but other than that I could get no further detail. Even the picture of the person across the street was unidentifiable. I think maybe I'm still not using the best settings or not too smart on how to best operate it. Also my only comparison is using cooled thermals that hang off airplanes and are able to positively identify a person from extreme distances, so maybe my expectations were not fair. I think this thermal is a cool toy and should be able to detect animals out to "medium" distances but I'm pretty disappointed in the quality of the image.
youre having connection/bandwidth issues.

I had a buddy take both out last night and compare them, those were his exact words. He said that the C35 had a clearer picture at higher magnification with sharper details. He believes it is due to Steiner's image processing software and extensive settings as he was able to use settings to make the image very sharp and detailed. He also didn't see any POI shift when putting it on multiple guns. However, take this with a grain of salt and wait until I can post tangible evidence.

He also said "it's a big bitch". But he likes how the aluminum housing makes him confident and comfortable about its durability. He doesn't feel the need to baby it, especially at the price and he previously broke a Steiner IFS scope (dropped it out of a hunting stand onto concrete) and was impressed when he got a new scope in the mail. So he isn't worried about the warranty.

I’ll do a 10-foot drop test onto concrete with my loaner unit. For science.
Fuck don't do that. That concrete was good to you.

If you do drop that mofo make sure you are out of the crush zone. Put down some Yellowjacket tape to make sure that you know where it's gonna hit. Wear eye pro for the concrete chips.

So… can only speak to “my” loaner C35, but POI shift on this unit is 6-8 MOA low and 0-1 MOA left. Like any “non-collimated” unit, this one may likely need to be adjusted to your various rifles. Fortunately, it stores multiple profiles and the adjustment process is pretty simple and quick.

Confirm Day Scope Zero
Pop C35 on Rifle
Shoot a group
Note POI Shift
Enter Adjustment Menu
Enter-in recorded POI shift
Re-shoot group
Check/Verify collimation
Save to rifle profile.

I’ve run into a few things I either do not really like — aside from the weight and Soviet-era design any negatives are relatively minor — but I keep having to repeat to myself that this thing is only $3,999 MAP! If I only had $4K to spend, there really is no other clipon out there that offers this level of performance. I’m sure we’re on the cusp of a Chynah-inspired price war, but until that happens, this is the price/performance leader.

I’d like to see a 50-75mm model. 35mm leaves me wanting, but is great for inside 200 yards.

All that said, I took out the “Stable” to compare — wondering just how close the RH25 and C35 are to the Big Dogs that cost 3-5x as much. I was out at about the time of the dreaded “Thermal Crossover.” Both the C35 and RH25 really struggled to show a clearly defined steel plate at 100 yards. It just about completely melted into the background, even with the gain and contrast cranked-up and regardless of color palette. The Voodoo-S, UTM-X, and UTC-Xii could easily present a well-defined plate without having to crank-up the image setting and, with a quick turn of the eyepiece, everything came into razor-crisp focus and there was basically zero POI shift.

Are the Big Dogs worth the extreme price differential? To most, probably not. To me, hells yeah!

Last edited: