• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"The Poor's" Welcome You.......

Hobo Hilton

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2011
Pacific Northwest
There are day's when admitting you are Poor is like wearing a "Badge of Courage".
Last year my fixed income allowed me to live "Paycheck to Paycheck". This year, due to inflation, some things now have to be dropped from my routine purchases. Life has kicked me around. I see the recession as nothing more than a challenge. Look at the challenges those that settled America faced in comparison to out daily challenges in 2022.

I like to stay warm during these Montana winters. I've hauled 3 loads of wood I can burn in my wood stove. It was free, not prime firewood that is selling for $250 / cord. Welcome to the "Poor's".
EDIT: $275 / cord

1657307003147.jpeg
1657307041915.jpeg

Last edited:
There are day's when admitting you are Poor is like wearing a "Badge of Courage".
Last year my fixed income allowed me to live "Paycheck to Paycheck". This year, due to inflation, some things now have to be dropped from my routine purchases. Life has kicked me around. I see the recession as nothing more than a challenge. Look at the challenges those that settled America faced in comparison to out daily challenges in 2022.

I like to stay warm during these Montana winters. I've hauled 3 loads of wood I can burn in my wood stove. It was free, not prime firewood that is selling for $250 / cord. Welcome to the "Poor's".
View attachment 7907959View attachment 7907960
250/cord? thats steeper than in NJ

• Sad
Reactions: Hobo Hilton

Made my college paychecks filling and emptying a 3 cord trailer every weekend in school and every day of the summer. Got it for Free99 from the DOT clearing for a new road. Guys would even cut it down to 18-22”

I learned real quick how wood keeps you warm 5 ways:
-choppin’ it
-haulin’ it
-splittin’ it
-stackin’ it
-burnin’ it

I still spit it for some older folks every summer that are still on pot belly stoves for heat.

It’s honest work, kept/keeps me fit too.

Best of luck to you and yours.

250/cord? thats steeper than in NJ
Here's the deal... All those Californian's moved up here and opened "Marijuana Dispensaries". Finding out those big, off grid log homes are heated with firewood. Example below:

Not sure why you are complaining. I'm the guy paying for your social security ;)

Seriously though, let this be a lesson to the younger crowd. Live within your means. Sacrificing now, and putting a little away for your future, can go along ways to making your retirement a little easier.

give it a few more years under biden while you rich people are learning to cope with the left's idea of a equally poor America those that are ready poor are accustomed to the life style that's going to give you sticker shock as everything around you crumbles poors will take over the mud hut lol :cry::cry:
4f75913b99a438793c8638abc36c7a61.gif

That a nice tractor and trailer your doin fine👍
As MarshallDodge just said about recessions / life "Let this be a lesson".... I survived 3 - 4 recessions. Everything in my photos and homestead (except the mortgage) is paid for. For many years my home was a 40's Fifthwheel as I traveled for work. Impossible to gether too much stuff with that lifestyle. When I did settle I gathered things that were a "Mechanics Special". I bought my homestead for the shop and everything else sort of fell into place.

We are living in a changing world. A timely article... Comments ?

So is this club just for orthodox/fundamentalist poors or is it for poors more generally? What about reformed poors? Are they welcome in the club? I used to be an ultra-orthodox poor but more recently I've migrated from that to a more mundane fundamentalist poor and lately I'm starting to see myself as really a reformed poor. It used to be that I'd behave as an impoverished spendthrift which is to say, I just didn't ever buy anything. Now I'm behaving more like an anti-poor cheapskate which is to say that I just don't buy anything. This is not true actually... I have spent a hair raising amount of money this year on bucket list toys but I've run out of list. Also neener to the actual poors.

So is this club just for orthodox/fundamentalist poors or is it for poors more generally? What about reformed poors? Are they welcome in the club? I used to be an ultra-orthodox poor but more recently I've migrated from that to a more mundane fundamentalist poor and lately I'm starting to see myself as really a reformed poor. It used to be that I'd behave as an impoverished spendthrift which is to say, I just didn't ever buy anything. Now I'm behaving more like an anti-poor cheapskate which is to say that I just don't buy anything. This is not true actually... I have spent a hair raising amount of money this year on bucket list toys but I've run out of list. Also neener to the actual poors.
This club is open to "Past, Present and Future Poor's".. It would be a very kind jesture for some of the Senior Poor's to give some guidance to the upcoming group of poor's who will be joining us during this recession. "Toy's for the Poor's" are always interesting discussions. Especially if they were put on a credit card just prior to the owner of the company they are working for closes the doors due to his largest customer not renewing the contract.

Advice for soon to be past-poor: A great way to get there from here is to get divorced from the money gun we often call "a wife". Turns out that once you're rid of that you find out you weren't poor, she was just shit at managing money. Once you get rid of that chained on cinder block you'll find that you're able to keep your head more consistently above water even with having to give her half your shit and half your $.

Reactions: KYAggie
Advice for soon to be past-poor: A great way to get there from here is to get divorced from the money gun we often call "a wife". Turns out that once you're rid of that you find out you weren't poor, she was just shit at managing money. Once you get rid of that chained on cinder block you'll find that you're able to keep your head more consistently above water even with having to give her half your shit and half your $.
The current economic conditions make this an excellent time to re-visit relationships... Not just wives but adult children, aging parents and the people that always seem to need a helping hand. If (and that is a big IF) a person can ride out this recession and come out on the other side with what they went into the recession with, then they can offer a helping hand.

Some sobering words a woman divorce attorney once told me.... " You can work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week building that pension. Your wife can sit home, watch TV and eat Bon Bon's all day and she will get 50% of that pension".... The cost of an attorney drawing up a pre-nup is nothing compared to giving up 50% of what you busted your ass for. She has the option to work and build her own retirement. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

JMHO

I make fun of everybody. Poors, fatties, gays, Italians, yanks, gingers, blacks, browns, greens, blues, whatever. It's my prepubescent way of spreading the love.

Nobody cares how much you have or how much you make as long as you support yourself and your family. As long as you're not a burden on the rest of us you have my respect.

Now go be poor somewhere else.

The average 30 year old American does not have a working knowledge of a recession.

There was The Great Recession: December 2007 - June 2009
A child born in 1990 +/- would still be living with Mom and Dad, probably in school and oblivious to the economy in 2008.
Today, a child born in 1990 would be about 32 years old. Basically life in America, other than the virus, has been pretty good for that person.
Again, a very broad statement, the 30 something generation is going to experience some things they never dealt with before.
In all fairness, every American, regardless of age, will face challenges never seen before.

EDIT: $275 / cord

That Aspen and Cottonwood? that stuff won't last long in a fire. (I'm not knocking free)

That Aspen and Cottonwood? that stuff won't last long in a fire. (I'm not knocking free)
Yep, I will be blending it with other stuff.... No oak, pecan or any of the prime stuff here in Montana... Pine / fir stuff like that is about as good as it gets. Businesses put out pallets and they are picked up pretty quick. National forest are pretty well picked over for dead standing. Have not had a good wind storm to blow the tops out of the bigger trees. A few have gotten the standing trees after the wild land fires swept through or the pine beetle killed them off.... They only do that for a season before it gets to be more trouble than it is worth. Tree Services make more on fire wood than charging to take a tree down.... Firewood is at $275 / cord in the middle of summer... My family in Louisiana was hauling off oak trees after the last hurricane and I could have gotten all I wanted.... LOL

ei now officially declare myself to be a member of the Poor's brigade,actually, a well established early member.
Welcome, The ranks seem to be growing. One of my challenges is keeping a baby deer our of my corn. Get's a runnin' start and slides under the hot wire. Would love to put up a deer fence but it is just not in my budget at this time. But, by mid winter that deer could be dinner.

Attachments

• IMG_6629.JPG
    IMG_6629.JPG
    444.7 KB · Views: 111
My "old guy advice having been thru several recessions since 1974" and having lived in a car for a whole Summer in 1979. Everything is upside down now and there really isn't a lot of advice for what is coming as we (US) have never actually been here before.

My advice is The Basics - use the hell out of that credit card *but* pay it off every month like clockwork. Statistically something like 53% of credit cards in the US have a monthly balance and of that 53% something like 90% are borrowed to the hilt. That's a big chunk of money in interest. Few things are more expensive than credit card debt.

Save money every week - no matter how little - even $10 a week if that's all you have. Get it invested/diversified. Don't leave any more cash in the bank than you need for a couple months of bills. Money in yer checking and bank saving account is like throwing money away. Even CD's don't pay jack shit now.

Learn to Live Simple and not beat yourself up because you are driving an old car or wearing simple clothes - do not scrimp on important shit like healthcare, eye glasses, shoes and tools. EAT AT HOME and learn to cook great tasting, healthy, and satisfying meals instead of eating crap at MacDonald's, Taco Bell, or even your local restaurants. My Wife and I have not eaten at a restaurant in over 3 years - carry out a couple times as guests at a friends home. I can feed us for days on what it costs us to eat fast food for one meal. Make yer pizzas at home.

It's an employees market now - there are jobs, good ones, literally everywhere. Don't get stuck in the 20th century mindset that conditioned US to grind yer face flat working for assholes. Change jobs - change careers, and always (*Always!*) be looking for more money and more flexibility. I had three jobs in 2017 and every time I moved I made more money. Hold yer employer accountable or leave his ass for a better opportunity. Before you work your fingers to the bone making him rich.

And don't panic or get mean and bitter because we are just starting this road of The Decline of America and The Failed Republic and all the crashing and anger that is gonna grow exponentially over the next couple decades. Chin up and take care of yer health (Mental, Physical, Spiritual) because tomorrow will be another day and you can't get that shit back when it's gone. Put yer money where Rich People have their money because they will continue to get fatter and more powerful as the majority slide into poverty and despair. Rich people know how to save/invest so watch what they do with their money and follow.

VooDoo

Last edited:
Get it invested/diversified. Don't leave any more cash in the bank than you need for a couple months of bills. Money in yer checking and bank saving account is like throwing money away. Even CD's don't pay jack shit now.
Not sure about this... you can lose 15% over the next 12 months to inflation, or you can lose 30% in the next 6 months from the market declines.
ibonds, $10K/person/year is probably your best bet, because if that goes bankrupt, it won't matter. Paying 9%+ right now.

Either way, that poor's club is going to get real crowded soon.

Man you guys must know how to pick shitty people to "love"...... My wife makes nearly as much money as I do, spends basically nothing unnecessarily, and we share cooking weekly and take maybe one or two long weekend vacations per year at most.

I'd recommend instead of getting into the position where you find yourself with trying to get rid of a cinder block, you don't willingly marry a cinder block.....

We have enough boots on our necks that we can't control. Help yourselves out!

Man you guys must know how to pick shitty people to "love"...... My wife makes nearly as much money as I do, spends basically nothing unnecessarily, and we share cooking weekly and take maybe one or two long weekend vacations per year at most.

I'd recommend instead of getting into the position where you find yourself with trying to get rid of a cinder block, you don't willingly marry a cinder block.....

For every crappy woman in society, there is a crappy guy... Where the equation tilts is the number of crappy people in our society far out weighs the number of quality people. Getting near the "needle in a haystack" scenario to find good people. I'm seeing many good people finding happiness just not being in a relationship. I am at a place in life when I wake up each morning, the only person I am responsible for is me.

For every crappy woman in society, there is a crappy guy... Where the equation tilts is the number of crappy people in our society far out weighs the number of quality people. Getting near the "needle in a haystack" scenario to find good people. I'm seeing many good people finding happiness just not being in a relationship. I am at a place in life when I wake up each morning, the only person I am responsible for is me.
Yeah man, totally agree! Which is why it's even more important to not settle for the cinder blocks and either stay solo or find someone who doesn't add liability!

The growing number of Poor's. Handwriting on the wall:

The rising cost of living is forcing more people to move back in with their parents. Others are finding it impossible to move out. And it’s not just young adults who are struggling — the pandemic and surging prices for everything from rent and electricity to food and gas have pushed a record number of people, including those in their 40s and 50s, to return to their parents’ homes.
The share of Americans living in multigenerational households more than doubled between 1971 and 2021, to 18% of the population, and shows no signs of peaking, according to a recent Pew Research survey. Among adult children living with their parents, more than half say it helps them financially, and 30% say they pay nothing toward the rent or mortgage. Meanwhile, a recent Credit Karma survey found that 29% of people between the ages of 18 and 25 live at home with parents or relatives and see it as a long-term housing solution.

In 1979, my Girl (now my Wife of 43 years) and I lived in a car rather than go back to our parents homes - double digit inflation, no jobs and what jobs there were there were 100 applicants for every opening. limits on how much fuel you could buy...

I doubt we could pull that off today. My heart goes out to younger folks who are gonna financially capsize in the next couple years.

VooDoo

The situation with women nowadays is particularly tough. I'm happily married too, but I picked up the ole' ball and chain before things got bad. My oldest son is coming of age and I cringe when I think about the world he's inheriting.

Too many hoes out there want to have their cake and eat it too. They slut around into their 30's, eventually get knocked up by some dirtbag that leaves them high and dry and then they want to settle down and play housewife when they're all used up and have more baggage than the belly of a 747. Then they post on social media about how men are trash and there are no good men around???

I put this one on women and woke bullshit. Making an honest living and being a responsible adult isn't attractive to young women anymore. If it was, young men would fall in line and 90% of our problems would be solved in record time. We wouldn't have so many little shits running around with face tattoos and corn rows either.

View attachment 7910575
Uncle Jessie, is that you?
A short story from the early 1980's that takes place in the Gulf Coast Oil Patch. Those helicopters would fly off of a Houston high rise and bring the "Company Men" out to the location (drilling rigs). They would bail out and walk through that oil base drilling mud with those $1,000 exotic skin cowboy boots, bring a case of whiskey to the driller, bull shit for a few minutes and then they were gone. Oil industry went bust, Houston was a ghost town. A year later I would be traveling in my welding rig truck and pass an old beat up pick up with hand lettering on the door "Home Repairs / Handyman"... Look over at the driver and low and behold, there was that "Company Man"...
To admit to being one of "The Poor's" we have to take some ribbin' about our clothes, vehicles and cell phones. A saying from the South - "What goes around, comes around"...

Attachments

• IMG_6643.JPG
    IMG_6643.JPG
    644.4 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: Jgunner
A short story from the early 1980's that takes place in the Gulf Coast Oil Patch. Those helicopters would fly off of a Houston high rise and bring the "Company Men" out to the location (drilling rigs). They would bail out and walk through that oil base drilling mud with those $1,000 exotic skin cowboy boots, bring a case of whiskey to the driller, bull shit for a few minutes and then they were gone. Oil industry went bust, Houston was a ghost town. A year later I would be traveling in my welding rig truck and pass an old beat up pick up with hand lettering on the door "Home Repairs / Handyman"... Look over at the driver and low and behold, there was that "Company Man"...
To admit to being one of "The Poor's" we have to take some ribbin' about our clothes, vehicles and cell phones. A saying from the South - "What goes around, comes around"...

I'd still have a flip phone if it wasn't for those small screens and my poor eyesight.

The Morning cup of Coffee

As a child in the Deep South, I remember a short bed time conversation between my Mom and Dad.. something like this "Coffee Pot Fixed"? Never remember the answer being "No".... That routine carried over into my adulthood. One of my last evening chores is to fix my old percolator. It must be manually plugged in every morning and unplugged when coffee time is over. During my working years, an unbreakable Stanley thermos went with me every morning. There were many stainless steel"Go cups" that went when a full thermos was not needed. I'm hearing some grumbles from folks who must wait in line at the drive thru coffee stand about how expensive that cup of coffee is costing. I have an ARBNB near by and watch people get up and go get a cup of coffee and bring it back to where they are staying. AIRBNB's have coffee makers. Every motel I have stayed in had a coffee maker.

Below is an article of how much it cost to buy land for a drive thru coffee place. There must be a lot of money in selling one cup of coffee at a time.

People piss and shit in the 'in room' hotel coffee makers and no one ever cleans them
enjoy that taste :)

I travel a handful of times per year. I take my Aero Press with me. Best fucking $25 I ever spent.
I am on vacation in a week rental place now, not using the coffee maker in here, it looks like shit and like it has never been cleaned. I am aero-pressing some good stuff on vacation

I find a way to boil water if I can't pack my electric kettle

Reactions: jrassy and powell
The Morning cup of Coffee

As a child in the Deep South, I remember a short bed time conversation between my Mom and Dad.. something like this "Coffee Pot Fixed"? Never remember the answer being "No".... That routine carried over into my adulthood. One of my last evening chores is to fix my old percolator. It must be manually plugged in every morning and unplugged when coffee time is over. During my working years, an unbreakable Stanley thermos went with me every morning. There were many stainless steel"Go cups" that went when a full thermos was not needed. I'm hearing some grumbles from folks who must wait in line at the drive thru coffee stand about how expensive that cup of coffee is costing. I have an ARBNB near by and watch people get up and go get a cup of coffee and bring it back to where they are staying. AIRBNB's have coffee makers. Every motel I have stayed in had a coffee maker.

Below is an article of how much it cost to buy land for a drive thru coffee place. There must be a lot of money in selling one cup of coffee at a time.

That cup of "coffee" more often than not is some form of latte so that baby goes for 6 bucks a cup around here, so yeah big bucks to be made. I buy a gallon of milk for 4 bucks and make my own at home.

The average 30 year old American does not have a working knowledge of a recession.

There was The Great Recession: December 2007 - June 2009
A child born in 1990 +/- would still be living with Mom and Dad, probably in school and oblivious to the economy in 2008.
Today, a child born in 1990 would be about 32 years old. Basically life in America, other than the virus, has been pretty good for that person.
Again, a very broad statement, the 30 something generation is going to experience some things they never dealt with before.
In all fairness, every American, regardless of age, will face challenges never seen before.

This is truth. I was unemployed for around 6 months then. It was like I had some secret mark that meant employers refused to deal with me. In the fall of 2009 it changed back to normal and I got to work. The people that did not experience this have no frame of reference if they were born post 1975.

I say again, the millennial generation starts in 1981.

A while shit load of working age millennials lived through the Great Recession.

Maffs are good.

I make fun of everybody. Poors, fatties, gays, Italians, yanks, gingers, blacks, browns, greens, blues, whatever. It's my prepubescent way of spreading the love.

Nobody cares how much you have or how much you make as long as you support yourself and your family. As long as you're not a burden on the rest of us you have my respect.

Now go be poor somewhere else.
You forgot the fags and the red Injuns….

You got something against them?

Sirhr

Yep, I will be blending it with other stuff.... No oak, pecan or any of the prime stuff here in Montana... Pine / fir stuff like that is about as good as it gets. Businesses put out pallets and they are picked up pretty quick. National forest are pretty well picked over for dead standing. Have not had a good wind storm to blow the tops out of the bigger trees. A few have gotten the standing trees after the wild land fires swept through or the pine beetle killed them off.... They only do that for a season before it gets to be more trouble than it is worth. Tree Services make more on fire wood than charging to take a tree down.... Firewood is at $275 / cord in the middle of summer... My family in Louisiana was hauling off oak trees after the last hurricane and I could have gotten all I wanted.... LOL
Just remember that if things get really bad… like Mad Max people wearing wrist crossbows and wearing bellhousings around their neck bad….

All those mansions are filled with non-poors stuff and weak, baked Sausalito prey.

Look up “werewolf prepper.”

Sirhr

Just remember that if things get really bad… like Mad Max people wearing wrist crossbows and wearing bellhousings around their neck bad….

All those mansions are filled with non-poors stuff and weak, baked Sausalito prey.

Look up “werewolf prepper.”

Sirhr
During Katrina (New Orleans) those mansions were secured by Blackwater Security mercenaries...... Not so easy pickin's. Times are a lot tougher now....

Reactions: jrassy
I hope you guys keep working and paying into my social security fund. I'm liking the checks coming in every month. Looking forward to a bit of a raise next year to help with the higher cost of living. I'm still working and paying into it as well and with all of us working together to keep my checks coming in, maybe I can at least stay middle class poor for a while longer.

I'm hearing that phrase "Go be poor somewhere else" more often. I'm searching for somewhere else.

If you find a good spot to be poor, let me know. Retirement is looming and California
is not lower middle class friendly.

Plenty of that here in CA. I think I can afford at least a small step up. Walls, running water and a real toilet(where I do my best thinking) are a priority.

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI