• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The reason employees suck and there’s a shortage of them

I am not sure you work in the tech part of the world but it is an open secret in tech that the only way to get raises is to job hop like mad. Makes no sense to me but I'm not in the C-suite so perhaps I'm just too stupid to understand.
This. The old days of staying with a job for 20+ years are dead. Employers treat you like shit, so my services are for hire. Most of my experiences is with very large companies, so they don't give 2 fucks about employees. They can't even be bothered to send a "no thank you" email after paying thousands to fly you across country and interview you. Some now lay you off via text or phone message so as to be less confrontational. 57 levels of management pushing paper around while some of us doing the real work.

I came to terms with being a hired gun a LONG time ago. If I don't watch out for me--ain't nobody gonna watch out for me. I'm always one bad meeting away from switching jobs.

My old man is 73 and still working because he has no hobbies and if he actually retired he would be dead in 6 months of sitting on the couch... He's on his 3rd retirement job since 2010. This one will pay upwards of 150k in RETENTION BONUS over 24 months(paid every 6 months) not to mention the yearly pay which is north of 100k plus full benefits, 401k, overtime, etc...

He "claims" this is it for him and he will do 24 months, get the retention bonus and then retire for good... I bet at the end of his 24 months if they are offering another 24 month retention bonus he will stay on...

He's not doing it because of inflation though, just pure boredom.
I worried about this for my dad. But he eventually did stop working and trulyretire. Ironically he spends his days mowing his lawn, tending his garden (and helping me try to grow things other than weeds!)

Also travels a TON which means I get to mow his lawn...

'it’s that employers don’t want to pay what those people FEEL their time is worth."
This relates directly to the participation trophy generation thinking they should have a house like their parents had when they get out of college with ZERO experience. Or thinking they should get $15.00 an hour for dropping the wrong burgers in bags in the drive through window. No experience and no responability.

In the mid 00's a friend's kid wanted money. I offered $20 to mow the lawn. His mother said that was beneath her son. He never had a decent job, was never responsible for anything, enlisted and eneded up in prison for murder (DUI, crossed the center line and hit the on coming car killing a passenger) because he refused a plea deal for vehicular homicide because "I didn't do anything wrong, I fell asleep."

This relates directly to the participation trophy generation thinking they should have a house like their parents had when they get out of college with ZERO experience. Or thinking they should get $15.00 an hour for dropping the wrong burgers in bags in the drive through window. No experience and no responability.

In the mid 00's a friend's kid wanted money. I offered $20 to mow the lawn. His mother said that was beneath her son. He never had a decent job, was never responsible for anything, enlisted and eneded up in prison for murder (DUI, crossed the center line and hit the on coming car killing a passenger) because he refused a plea deal for vehicular homicide because "I didn't do anything wrong, I fell asleep."
It’s got nothing to do with the participation trophy generation since this issue spans multiple generations of workers.

What it has to do with is people have realized they are selling years of their lives to employers, and they have a different value for their lives than employers have.

Once the middle ground is found, or enough illegal wage suppressors are imported, then you’ll see equilibrium again.

Oh, and in the mid 2000’s I’d have laughed at your $20 to mow a lawn too.

It’s got nothing to do with the participation trophy generation since this issue spans multiple generations of workers.

What it has to do with is people have realized they are selling years of their lives to employers, and they have a different value for their lives than employers have.

Once the middle ground is found, or enough illegal wage suppressors are imported, then you’ll see equilibrium again.

Oh, and in the mid 2000’s I’d have laughed at your $20 to mow a lawn too.

No sarcasm…

You win the internet for today, with this post…

Reactions: brettb614
shy hire an American for 18.00 per hour or more when you have an almost limitless illegal work force at your finger tips you could pay 1/2 or less to do the same job . you know the American will be bitching and crying about being underpaid while the illegal will just do the job and whistle a happy tune .

$30 an hour to mow???

Fuck that...

My lawn takes ~2-2.5 man hours to mow and trim... thats with a big zero turn, but I have a lot of fence line plus around the house.

3 years ago when we moved in I was getting quotes for 100-125 to mow and trim. My buddy said now that would be ~$175-200 at least and thats if I find a company that has another lawn or two in my neighborhood, otherwise add another $25 if they are only coming out to do my lawn...

Glad I bought that $8000 Gravely zero turn 3 years ago.... btw that same machine today is $11k...
I’m looking at a Gravely now. Should have bought one years ago as I push mine. It takes me 5-7hrs to do everything.

My old man is 73 and still working because he has no hobbies and if he actually retired he would be dead in 6 months of sitting on the couch... He's on his 3rd retirement job since 2010. This one will pay upwards of 150k in RETENTION BONUS over 24 months(paid every 6 months) not to mention the yearly pay which is north of 100k plus full benefits, 401k, overtime, etc...

He "claims" this is it for him and he will do 24 months, get the retention bonus and then retire for good... I bet at the end of his 24 months if they are offering another 24 month retention bonus he will stay on...

He's not doing it because of inflation though, just pure boredom.
And where the hell is he working?

It takes me I would guess 45-60 minutes at least to mow my acre plus the ditch line with a 48" zero turn...

It takes me at least another hour to trim probably close to 400ft of fence line plus trim around 20 trees, the roadway, driveway, house edging, etc...
Takes me 5-7hrs to do all mine and all the other stuff. I push it tho which is why I am looking at a zero turn.

For those questioning not mowing yourself.
Some can make more an hour doing their primary work and cover the cost of hiring and more…

This used to be called a part time job for high schoolers.
30 bucks and hour ,for them, is great wages.

R
Yeah I can make more an hour and would love to have more time to do what I like to do or spend time with the family, but I also loathe paying people for halfass work and work I can do myself. With that said I am getting tired of basically spending one of my entire weekend days every other week mowing.

I have 4 zero turns and gas.

$30 is pay for the operator

Used to pay $20. Couldn’t get reliable people and my truck drivers or mechanics/equipment operators would end up mowing. So bumped the pay to $30
So my guys can stay on their more important work.

Still can’t get reliable mower operators
Where you located? And does it take all 4 running for 12 hours to mow or just one of them? I can make more at the primary job for sure but I might take a $12/hr paycut Lol to do a brainless job with no stress. Shit I actually like mowing my yard, I just don’t like how long it takes me.

I see some of the same attitudes on ships. 2 or 3 hard charges and the slacker who takes an hour to sweep the shop.

Mow the lawn or go to the range? Depending on travel I might be home one weekend a month.

I used to pay high school kids $30 $35 to do the yard every two weeks, my mower and gas. The last high schooler cut it once and never showed up again. We have a retiree who knocked on the door a few years ago. $40, he rides his mower of a trailer, edges around the deck and fence if it needs it.

Less travel now, but I don't want to cut off his beer money.
What do you do?

Reactions: BurtG
I retired from steel erection company 8 yrs ago , worked for them 21 yrs, thought I was like family, you'd think I would have got a phone call (how you doing or something) nothing, 8 yrs and crickets , I guess all my union brothers were right after all, out of sight out of mind. They did take care of me while I was working for them though , can't fault them on that but 21 yrs you'd think was worth something.

I retired from steel erection company 8 yrs ago , worked for them 21 yrs, thought I was like family, you'd think I would have got a phone call (how you doing or something) nothing, 8 yrs and crickets , I guess all my union brothers were right after all, out of sight out of mind. They did take care of me while I was working for them though , can't fault them on that but 21 yrs you'd think was worth something.
Outside of some smaller family owned close-knit companies, which are becoming fewer and fewer, no company gives a shit about you. You are just a blip on the radar. They’ll replace you and not think twice of you. If you were a really funny outgoing everyone likes you guy then they might just might have an occasional memory of you every now and then, maybe. But by and large, if russia somehow took out half the workforce tomorrow, companies would have you replaced and back up and running within days.

Cmon to Bama. Hell, I’ve even thought about opening the first of its kind rehab center for whores! I’ll need an assistant
I'm not getting tricked into THAT again you clever fellow you!

Screen Shot 2023-09-24 at 1.54.17 PM.png

did you even get the gold watch?

M

It turns out if you import 20 million unskilled workers, the demand for unskilled workers drops along with the wages. Sort of like importing Pakistani and Indian engineers in droves. Do that enough and engineering pay flattens out. Laws of economics are rarely wrong.

Reactions: Rich4
It turns out if you import 20 million unskilled workers, the demand for unskilled workers drops along with the wages. Sort of like importing Pakistani and Indian engineers in droves. Do that enough and engineering pay flattens out. Laws of economics are rarely wrong.
Yeah. My company is all about bringing engineering students over. We currently have EITs from Africa, Iran, Pakistan, India, China. No shit.

Slaveholders didn’t give up slavery. They just figured out it is cheaper to rent them than to own them…

The take home pay for an illegal doing a job for half the market pay is pretty much the same money as the net pay of a legal worker's paycheck after getting taxes and deductions taken out. About the only difference is the .gov middle man doesn't get his cut.

Since the illegal is still eligible for .gov assistance due to his/her poverty level on paper, the illegal is the clear lifestyle winner.

$30 an hour to mow???

Fuck that...

My lawn takes ~2-2.5 man hours to mow and trim... thats with a big zero turn, but I have a lot of fence line plus around the house.

3 years ago when we moved in I was getting quotes for 100-125 to mow and trim. My buddy said now that would be ~$175-200 at least and thats if I find a company that has another lawn or two in my neighborhood, otherwise add another $25 if they are only coming out to do my lawn...

Glad I bought that $8000 Gravely zero turn 3 years ago.... btw that same machine today is $11k...
In a couple of years it'll be paid for. But you will never get that time back

Reactions: Snipe260
The take home pay for an illegal doing a job for half the market pay is pretty much the same money as the net pay of a legal worker's paycheck after getting taxes and deductions taken out. About the only difference is the .gov middle man doesn't get his cut.

Since the illegal is still eligible for .gov assistance due to his/her poverty level on paper, the illegal is the clear lifestyle winner.
Digital currency will fix that.

I live in a neighborhood with million dollar homes. We have one of the smallest homes here. We built it using a local custom builder. The wife and I were on site every day inspecting and checking everything. Our foreman was an awesome young guy and he did a great job supervising the contractors and suppliers.

Most of our neighbors are highly paid white collar folks. Attorneys, doctors, IT, and executives. They cant fix anything or do anything.

When I tell them i put in my own sprinklers, did my own electrical, and paint, they look at me like I have three heads.

They will pay a Mexican 3k to put in a garden wall or a french drain. Its 8 hours to do that and a few hundred in materials. And they take a week to do a days work and the attention to detail is not what I expect.

But it looks good enough to the uncaring eye.

I think much corporate leadership dont know what they are doing and dont care to dig to find those who do and lack the balls to expect better everyday. And this is why companies are run like shit. And why i see so many threads like this.

My local HEB grocery has gone to 50% self checkout. I asked a manager why and she said they can't hire enough cashiers to run the registers, that nobody wants to work.

I asked how do they pay their bills, their cell phone bills food, rent, etc. She didn't give me an answer, nobody has when I asked.

I have noticed a change in attitude among workers, like some lady checker that looked at me and asked "Is there a problem?!" I said 'No, why' and she said "Because of the way you looked at me." I haven't seen her since so I guess she quit too.

Last edited:
My local HEB grocery has gone to 50% self checkout. I asked a manager why and she said they can't hire enough cashiers to run the registers, that nobody wants to work.

I asked how do they pay their bills, their cell phone bills food, rent, etc. She didn't give me an answer, nobody has when I asked.

I have noticed a change in attitude among workers, like some lady checker that looked at me and asked "Is there a problem?!" I said 'No, why' and she said "Because of the way you looked at me." I haven't her since so I guess she quit too.

It's that way if you eat out almost anywhere. Poor service, places are nasty, and food sucks most of the time which is why indont eat out much. There are 3 restaurants that are owned by the same people that are the exception, but I noticed they have help wanted ads posted so I'd say they are struggling with it now as well.

I pay my office manager six figures and she works about 30 hours a week. She comes in around 10am after dropping off her kids at school and leaves around 2:30 to pick them up. If she has loose ends when she leaves she takes care of them at home. Shes worth EVERY PENNY. Shit gets done on time without issues.

95% Of the people I’ve hired or interviewed have been a complete joke. It’s so bad that Ive been turning down massive amounts of work because hiring nowadays just isn’t worth the hassle. Kids come out of school with virtually zero practical knowledge and expect $85k/yr to be trained for the next three years. When you finally get to the point where you don’t have to look over their shoulder 24/7 they want a massive raise or they jump ship.

No thanks.

I get good service where I live.

I don’t like self checkout because I believe I should get a discount for saving the store so much money on not having to pay a cashier.

I get good service where I live.

I don’t like self checkout because I believe I should get a discount for saving the store so much money on not having to pay a cashier.
Still waiting for all my 1099’s from self check-service places.

Outside of some smaller family owned close-knit companies, which are becoming fewer and fewer, no company gives a shit about you. You are just a blip on the radar. They’ll replace you and not think twice of you. If you were a really funny outgoing everyone likes you guy then they might just might have an occasional memory of you every now and then, maybe. But by and large, if russia somehow took out half the workforce tomorrow, companies would have you replaced and back up and running within days.
It would have been the same if 50 yrs ago had networking, the web and social media been around. I'll never understand negotiating for pay or benefits, unless you are bringing something no one else has, you are just the best bullshitter in the pack. And with that comes some control over certain environments. One big sales pitch, can pave a life for yrs.

I've met too many people that will admit that they cannot make a difference in today's workforce or society, they just look better on paper or in person. And will continue to climb the ladder.

Last edited:
I remember watching a 60 Minutes back in the '70s when most people trusted it, when journalist Morely Safer went to Russia. He was doing a piece showing the glaring difference between living in an oppressed communist country and America.

One of the comparisons was service and attitude of Russian workers that were on the government tit. He was in a restaurant and the Russian waitresses were all sitting at one table gossiping, competely ignoring the patrons until one fat waitress got up and brought someting the their table like she was clearly put out for having to get up.

I'm seeing that arrogance, insolence and laziness now in the U.S. . Those Russians don't have shit, except a one room apartment paid for by the government, maybe crap car and just enough government allowance to stand in a bread line. And they're basically content.

Reactions: Rich4 and BurtG
I live in a neighborhood with million dollar homes. We have one of the smallest homes here. We built it using a local custom builder. The wife and I were on site every day inspecting and checking everything. Our foreman was an awesome young guy and he did a great job supervising the contractors and suppliers.

Most of our neighbors are highly paid white collar folks. Attorneys, doctors, IT, and executives. They cant fix anything or do anything.

When I tell them i put in my own sprinklers, did my own electrical, and paint, they look at me like I have three heads.

They will pay a Mexican 3k to put in a garden wall or a french drain. Its 8 hours to do that and a few hundred in materials. And they take a week to do a days work and the attention to detail is not what I expect.

I think much corporate leadership dont know what they are doing and dont care to dig to find those who do and lack the balls to expect better everyday. And this is why companies are run like shit. And why i see so many threads like this.
That is because they require constant supervision and you have to teach them all over again each day without hurting their feelings.

Case in point of lack of supervision, the shooter at the Outlet Mall in Allen, Texas. According to his well-crafted social media, he was hating on jews big time. Like, he would have Hitler's love baby, if possible. So, he goes to the mall and shoots other hispanics and asians. No supervision. If you want a specific group of people targeted, you have to be there to stop him from making mistakes. Sucks, I know, but it is what it is.

• Haha

In fairness to some doctors, it's really super risky to work with their hands should they incur an injury. This is particularly true for a surgeon who has to accomplish delicate and intricate work on a patient.

I'm not a doctor but injured my finger last April. It is just now starting to feel about 90% normal. Every now and then, I have a little trouble with work entailing very fine motor skills.

So I sympathize with a doctor that needs his hands to make a living.

I have noticed a change in attitude among workers, like some lady checker that looked at me and asked "Is there a problem?!" I said 'No, why' and she said "Because of the way you looked at me." I haven't her since so I guess she quit too.
Dude I saw this super hot chick at the mall a while back, crop top, booty shorts, etc. So of course I was checking out the merchandise...
This bitch had the nerve to say extra loud "What?!! Do you need something?!" :ROFLMAO: I didn't even reply to this obviously disturbed lady, just kept walking.
Bitch knows damn well what shes doing, don't get all dolled up and sexy and then try to get mad and "expose" someone who looks at you when thats your whole reason you dressed up like that - to get men's attention...
Its a tard trend with girls at the gym too, LOL bitch GTFO here with that nonsense.

Some of the dumbest behavior Ive ever seen...

• Haha
Reactions: Doc68 and BurtG
That is because they require constant supervision and you have to teach them all over again each day without hurting their feelings.

Case in point of lack of supervision, the shooter at the Outlet Mall in Allen, Texas. According to his well-crafted social media, he was hating on jews big time. Like, he would have Hitler's love baby, if possible. So, he goes to the mall and shoots other hispanics and asians. No supervision. If you want a specific group of people targeted, you have to be there to stop him from making mistakes. Sucks, I know, but it is what it is.

I tell people to their face they must do better. Its the kindest thing you can do. Amazing how about 2/3 get it.

The rest dont have a job. And most tell me they have never had feedback before.

Hurting feelings is how you get people to do it better next time.

I want 100 percent. I want progress. I want honesty. Give me those and you have a chance.

Yeah. My company is all about bringing engineering students over. We currently have EITs from Africa, Iran, Pakistan, India, China. No shit.
And the best part is the company holds their visa status so they can pay them shit wages or send em back.

@hlee said its cheaper to rent slaves these days: he ain't kidding.

And yeah @Oldloser : give me an honest review. I've had so much bullshit thrown at me, I still don't beleive the good reviews. Last stint at capital one, they just made up some shit about me AFTER reviews had been done because the racist prick who ran our division didn't need me any more (only hired asian men). So in true American fashion, i got a better job, better boss, and a raise somewhere else. Took me all of three months to pick my job, location and salary.

BTW Capital One's chatbot is "woke" and if you do business with them, they just spend it on some diversity training telling how white people are the devil. just a little PSA

Dude I saw this super hot chick at the mall a while back, crop top, booty shorts, etc. So of course I was checking out the merchandise...
This bitch had the nerve to say extra loud "What?!! Do you need something?!" :ROFLMAO: I didn't even reply to this obviously disturbed lady, just kept walking.
Bitch knows damn well what shes doing, don't get all dolled up and sexy and then try to get mad and "expose" someone who looks at you when thats your whole reason you dressed up like that - to get men's attention...
Its a tard trend with girls at the gym too, LOL bitch GTFO here with that nonsense.

Some of the dumbest behavior Ive ever seen...

That checkout girl knew i wasn't looking at her dumpy checkout girl body. I doubt she ever had that problem

I was hot, tired, sunburned, over worked and just wanted to get that nights dinner scanned and paid for by some self-scanner I shouldn't have had to operate while she stood there like some bitch.

When she asked if there was problem I responded "I dunno, is there?"

If she would have pushed it I would have reported her. I should have anyway.

That gym girl in the above video maybe didn't like certain, oversexxed types looking at her.

Last edited:
In fairness to some doctors, it's really super risky to work with their hands should they incur an injury. This is particularly true for a surgeon who has to accomplish delicate and intricate work on a patient.

I'm not a doctor but injured my finger last April. It is just now starting to feel about 90% normal. Every now and then, I have a little trouble with work entailing very fine motor skills.

So I sympathize with a doctor that needs his hands to make a living.

Thats a great point a lot don't understand. One of my doctors fell off a ladder working on his house and broke his back about 10 years ago. Another one I dealt with for my shoulder was having the same issues from working on stuff around his house. Only good thing about that second doctor is he understood the pain I was in and helped me get into a specialist the same day. The physical therapist fell and broke her wrist one night this summer between my visits. The only good side is all these were still treating patients due to the type of work they do. A surgeon would've been screwed.

It’s not that people don’t want to work, it’s that employers don’t want to pay what those people feel their time is worth.

That’s why da’ ‘gubmint is happy to import and bus wage suppressors all over the country.
Stop paying people to stay at home and raising kids in fatherless homes and that issue ends.

I tell people to their face they must do better. Its the kindest thing you can do. Amazing how about 2/3 get it.

The rest dont have a job. And most tell me they have never had feedback before.

Hurting feelings is how you get people to do it better next time.

I want 100 percent. I want progress. I want honesty. Give me those and you have a chance.
My wife is a manger of engineers at our country's largest defense contractor. She has work-from-home millennials that are blatantly lying and cheating the system and she is not allowed, (by company policy), to tell them they are not doing a good job. She has to use phrases like "we may need to find you work more suited to your skill sets". Not allowed to be truthful to preserve feelings. The actual stories are jaw dropping. They did just finally fire a guy after a multiweek investigation to document and prove he was doing less than 10 hours of work a week but charging the programs 40+. Same guy got a 20K sign on bonus and relocation package just a year ago and got to keep all of it.

It would have been the same if 50 yrs ago had networking, the web and social media been around. I'll never understand negotiating for pay or benefits, unless you are bringing something no one else has, you are just the best bullshitter in the pack. And with that comes some control over certain environments. One big sales pitch, can pave a life for yrs.

I've met too many people that will admit that they cannot make a difference in today's workforce or society, they just look better on paper or in person. And will continue to climb the ladder.
From my experience, most people that think the bring something to the table, on paper or otherwise, don’t bring shit. Hell, I know a guy that thinks he is all that, job hopped till he got the pay he wanted, faked it until he made it at each one. He is good at bullshitting I guess cause now he has it made. Still brings nothing to the table makes a good 6 figures and admitted he only actually does about 14 actual hours of work a week. They’ll find out at some point I guess but he has been there a couple of years.

Reactions: BurtG and Milo 2.5
In a couple of years it'll be paid for. But you will never get that time back

I enjoy mowing my yard and keeping my property up... I have one of the nicer lawns in the neighborhood and we live at the entrance so everybody see's it... so I kinda like being an asshole with a really nice lawn. LOL.

The couple folks in the neighborhood that have lawn services it looks nice the day they mow it, but they never mow short enough so within 2 days it looks shaggy again. My neighbor across from me wont pay his lawn service to mow the front ditch line he says "thats the cities job" which he's not wrong except they mow it like 2x a year and the mow with a brush hog... My ditch line looks just like my lawn except its mostly crab grass and weeds LOL. I mow it every week though.

My lawn is done when I want it done, to the cut height I want it cut to. The weeds/crabgrass gets sprayed or pulled. Fertilizer when I want, etc...

I wouldnt ever be diagnosed as OCD, but I have some OCD tendencies. I want shit done when I want it done and how I want it done and fuck anything else. I VERY rarely hire out any work because inevitably every time I do it costs 5x+ what I think it should cost and the person does a shitty job... I can do a shitty job and not pay 5x what the job is worth.

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
I pay my office manager six figures and she works about 30 hours a week. She comes in around 10am after dropping off her kids at school and leaves around 2:30 to pick them up. If she has loose ends when she leaves she takes care of them at home. Shes worth EVERY PENNY. Shit gets done on time without issues.

95% Of the people I’ve hired or interviewed have been a complete joke. It’s so bad that Ive been turning down massive amounts of work because hiring nowadays just isn’t worth the hassle. Kids come out of school with virtually zero practical knowledge and expect $85k/yr to be trained for the next three years. When you finally get to the point where you don’t have to look over their shoulder 24/7 they want a massive raise or they jump ship.

No thanks.
Plz explain to me what an office manager does that makes her worth 6 figures and on 30hrs a week. And what do you do again? I mean clearly you own your own Biz or practice. You’ve probably told us before as well but refresh our memory.

Reactions: BCP
Most mowing services out here are tractors because people have acreage. 100-150 per hour typically. A goofy friend of mine tried to do it for 65$ an hour with a small tractor and it wasn't sustainable.

When I owned a small lot in town the CCRs required it to be mowed/weed whacked and I paid 90$ each time for the guy to do it. Usually once a month.

Lawn care companies in town pay their people about 20-25$ an hour. So people are doing the work but you're not going to get anyone to come out to your house to do a one-off. It's not worth it for the company or the employee.

This is simple an honest wage doesn't afford what it should

so people have simply given up

I make pretty good bank doin what I am but the wages haven't gotten any better in a decade or more.

My old man was makin 30 odd k a year in the 80's and could afford a house in 2 years if he saved everything and lived off what my mother earned.

Nowadays the cost of a basic home is at a minimum 300,000.

The average wage is 50,000

so u gotta save for at least 6 years

That's exactly why so many of them drive $80,000 diesel trucks.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Plz explain to me what an office manager does that makes her worth 6 figures and on 30hrs a week. And what do you do again? I mean clearly you own your own Biz or practice. You’ve probably told us before as well but refresh our memory.
She started at $32,500 as a part time office manager and has tripled that in three and a half years. This is at a CPA firm. Her position was supposed to have zero upward mobility.

When I started referring out bookkeeping work she took it upon herself to get a bunch of different bookkeeping certs and became an enrolled agent with the IRS. Tax season came around and I noticed (almost) all year end adjusting entries were already done when client work papers reached my desk.

Then she started started adding finished drafts of the returns with the work papers to review rather than complete. She probably completes and bills out north of $150k annually on top of keeping the place running. There’s no question she’s worth it.