Maggie’s  The Welding and Metalworking Thread

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
PX Member
Minuteman
This smoker took me a month to fabricate. Made from 4'x8' 1/4" steel plate. I fabricated the trailer from 2"x4"x3/16" rectangular tube.

It'll comfortably fit about 40 briskets/pork shoulders, or if things keep their current trajectory, 6 dindus.

For the love of all things holy... that is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen!

Dindu recipes please? We may need them!

Sirhr

mcameron

Old Salt
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 17, 2011
    This smoker took me a month to fabricate. Made from 4'x8' 1/4" steel plate. I fabricated the trailer from 2"x4"x3/16" rectangular tube.

It'll comfortably fit about 40 briskets/pork shoulders, or if things keep their current trajectory, 6 dindus.

ken226

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 16, 2009
    Washington
    Another, more recent project. A fancy knife sharpener. I bought the clamp from Wicked Edge, and made the rest from lots of scrap 6061 flat bar I had lying around.

3d printed holders to take Apex Edge Pro stones.

A few short clips. The moving parts:

Some light roughing:

Some profile finishing:

Touching off Z with my Edge Tech gauge:

Engraving the Angle index:

Testing the spring ball detents after assembly:

Test firing it on a couple dull Shun knifes:

Test cut on a grocery store receipt:

Sorry, I'm no youtuber. I know how bad my videos suck!

Last edited:

LeftyJason

Thumbnail-les
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2017
    Kaysville Utah
    So I finally found a decent vice for a not bad price. Columbian 604 m2 that I got for $75.
    Screenshot_20210108-195321_KSL Classifieds.jpg
    Sellers picture.
    Missing one of the swivel lock spindles and the jaws are milled smooth.

What I'm wondering is how are you supposed to orient the bolt pattern for installing on a corner? Bolt pattern is a T. Is the corner supposed to be oriented above the T?

Mounting on an old Ikea svenstorp that is my work bench for now (used to be in our kitchen when we still had an apartment).
    images.jpeg
    The bench will be upgraded eventually. It is next to my Kennedy so don't worry too much for me. The vise is an upgrade vs trying to plane a piece of wood trying to clamp it to the bench with a couple of quick grip bar clamps. It sorta worked. Barely.

Reactions: Waorani

jr81452

Professional Skeptic
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 5, 2007
    Saint petersburg, Florida
    Another, more recent project. A fancy knife sharpener. I bought the clamp from Wicked Edge, and made the rest from lots of scrap 6061 flat bar I had lying around.

Sorry, I'm no youtuber. I know how bad my videos suck!
    Nice work. I've been meaning to make a wicked edge equivalent that takes standard Norton 1/2" square stones for half a decade now. Have a ll the cad work done, but life etc. Would just buy the wicked edge, but I'm relatively young and don't want to be locked into a proprietary abrasive cartridge that they can change at any time and force me to buy the whole thing again. How are your abrasives holding up? Are they a long term wear item? I sharpen 200+ blades a year. How long do you expect yours to last?

Bradu

PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 24, 2011
    IL
    Nice work. I've been meaning to make a wicked edge equivalent that takes standard Norton 1/2" square stones for half a decade now. Have a ll the cad work done, but life etc. Would just buy the wicked edge, but I'm relatively young and don't want to be locked into a proprietary abrasive cartridge that they can change at any time and force me to buy the whole thing again. How are your abrasives holding up? Are they a long term wear item? I sharpen 200+ blades a year. How long do you expect yours to last?

I've seen people 3d print holders so they can use whatever they want with the wicked edge. I love my gen 3 and wish I didn't procrastinate spending the money on it for several years.

Reactions: jr81452

jr81452

Professional Skeptic
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 5, 2007
    I've seen people 3d print holders so they can use whatever they want with the wicked edge. I love my gen 3 and wish I didn't procrastinate spending the money on it for several years.
    Good info. Thanks. The closest thing I have to a 3D printer right now is a 4 axis cnc mill. But it's always working to make me money, and I haven't found the 12-15hrs I figure it will take me to manually machine the parts. I thought about getting the W E and just making modified stone holders, but there are a couple other tweaks I want to make to the design for more repeatable/adjustable angle accuracy after using a friends W E for a couple days. For example, I want to make a reciprocating top slide for the blade clamp, so I can do longer blades without having to re-clamp them. I'll get there one of these days :rolleyes:

jr81452

Professional Skeptic
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 5, 2007
    Ron Covell is a bit of a legend in the metal working community. The man is a fountain of knowledge and skill. His videos are well worth the watch. Though, he can be a little "slow" in his delivery if you already understand the concepts he is discussing. I like to set his videos to 1.15x-1.25x speed.

ken226

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 16, 2009
    Washington

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I forgot I had posted here.

The Shapton and Suhiro stones are fantastic. The are holding up great and sharpen even my hard as hell Shun kitchen knives. My cheap stones, likely from china, are horrible. My 2000 grit Shapton polishes out the scratches left by the 10,000 grit cheap stone.

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    On a completely different note, we were able to pick up a TIG welder recently (chinese knock-off that I got from a friend) now I/we just need to get a bottle of Argon to start giving it 'a-go'.....

Looking forward to doing a few different and interesting projects with it.

BullGear

Huckleberry Dillinger
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2017
    Hazzard County
    Watch a few
    On a completely different note, we were able to pick up a TIG welder recently (chinese knock-off that I got from a friend) now I/we just need to get a bottle of Argon to start giving it 'a-go'.....

Youtube videos. There's a few things you must know before you get started.

ZiaHunter

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 25, 2012
    Southern NM
    Sorry for taking so long to reply. I forgot I had posted here.

The Shapton and Suhiro stones are fantastic. The are holding up great and sharpen even my hard as hell Shun kitchen knives. My cheap stones, likely from china, are horrible. My 2000 grit Shapton polishes out the scratches left by the 10,000 grit cheap stone.
    Been sharpening my plane blades and chisels with Japanese water stones and still use the stones I purchased over 30 years ago. Lap them on occasion to keep them them flat and put a scary sharp edge on good tool steel.

ZiaHunter

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 25, 2012
    Southern NM
    Watch a few

Lots of videos and in IMHO the best being Welding Tips & Tricks and Fabricator series. If it doesn't already have one, buy a CK torch, gas lenses and stubby cups since it will make life so much easier. Put myself through college as a welder and at that time only used stick and oxy/acetylene. Over the years acquired good MIG and TIG machines to play around with them in my shop. TIG was a challenging at first but got the hang of it and went through a lot of coupons getting there.

LeftyJason

Thumbnail-les
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2017
    Kaysville Utah

Watch a few

For serious help. https://youtube.com/c/weldingtipsandtricks

For help that is also funny.
    Tony is great on everything.

If you are into metalworking at all and haven't seen any of This Old Tony's videos you are missing out. You learn stuff and laugh your head off.