• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Welding and Metalworking Thread

This smoker took me a month to fabricate. Made from 4'x8' 1/4" steel plate. I fabricated the trailer from 2"x4"x3/16" rectangular tube.

It'll comfortably fit about 40 briskets/pork shoulders, or if things keep their current trajectory, 6 dindus.

This smoker took me a month to fabricate. Made from 4'x8' 1/4" steel plate. I fabricated the trailer from 2"x4"x3/16" rectangular tube.

It'll comfortably fit about 40 briskets/pork shoulders, or if things keep their current trajectory, 6 dindus.

For the love of all things holy... that is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen!

Dindu recipes please? We may need them!

Sirhr

edc676dc67dc1129f5fa0d773e9064b3.gif

absolutely a very good job.
very very nice

Reactions: Barneybdb
Another, more recent project. A fancy knife sharpener. I bought the clamp from Wicked Edge, and made the rest from lots of scrap 6061 flat bar I had lying around.

3d printed holders to take Apex Edge Pro stones.

A few short clips. The moving parts:

Some light roughing:

Some profile finishing:

Touching off Z with my Edge Tech gauge:

Engraving the Angle index:

Testing the spring ball detents after assembly:

Test firing it on a couple dull Shun knifes:

Test cut on a grocery store receipt:

Sorry, I'm no youtuber. I know how bad my videos suck!

Last edited:
So I finally found a decent vice for a not bad price. Columbian 604 m2 that I got for $75.
Screenshot_20210108-195321_KSL Classifieds.jpg

Sellers picture.
Missing one of the swivel lock spindles and the jaws are milled smooth.

What I'm wondering is how are you supposed to orient the bolt pattern for installing on a corner? Bolt pattern is a T. Is the corner supposed to be oriented above the T?

Mounting on an old Ikea svenstorp that is my work bench for now (used to be in our kitchen when we still had an apartment).
images.jpeg

The bench will be upgraded eventually. It is next to my Kennedy so don't worry too much for me. The vise is an upgrade vs trying to plane a piece of wood trying to clamp it to the bench with a couple of quick grip bar clamps. It sorta worked. Barely.

Reactions: Waorani
Another, more recent project. A fancy knife sharpener. I bought the clamp from Wicked Edge, and made the rest from lots of scrap 6061 flat bar I had lying around.

Sorry, I'm no youtuber. I know how bad my videos suck!
Nice work. I've been meaning to make a wicked edge equivalent that takes standard Norton 1/2" square stones for half a decade now. Have a ll the cad work done, but life etc. Would just buy the wicked edge, but I'm relatively young and don't want to be locked into a proprietary abrasive cartridge that they can change at any time and force me to buy the whole thing again. How are your abrasives holding up? Are they a long term wear item? I sharpen 200+ blades a year. How long do you expect yours to last?

Nice work. I've been meaning to make a wicked edge equivalent that takes standard Norton 1/2" square stones for half a decade now. Have a ll the cad work done, but life etc. Would just buy the wicked edge, but I'm relatively young and don't want to be locked into a proprietary abrasive cartridge that they can change at any time and force me to buy the whole thing again. How are your abrasives holding up? Are they a long term wear item? I sharpen 200+ blades a year. How long do you expect yours to last?

I've seen people 3d print holders so they can use whatever they want with the wicked edge. I love my gen 3 and wish I didn't procrastinate spending the money on it for several years.

Reactions: jr81452
I've seen people 3d print holders so they can use whatever they want with the wicked edge. I love my gen 3 and wish I didn't procrastinate spending the money on it for several years.
Good info. Thanks. The closest thing I have to a 3D printer right now is a 4 axis cnc mill. But it's always working to make me money, and I haven't found the 12-15hrs I figure it will take me to manually machine the parts. I thought about getting the W E and just making modified stone holders, but there are a couple other tweaks I want to make to the design for more repeatable/adjustable angle accuracy after using a friends W E for a couple days. For example, I want to make a reciprocating top slide for the blade clamp, so I can do longer blades without having to re-clamp them. I'll get there one of these days :rolleyes:

Watched this video recently and learned a few things. Dude is a sheet metal wizard as well.

That's one of those videos that makes us kick ourselves in the nuts for doing shit "wrong" for so long and never having any idea what we were missing. I can already see how my next sheet metal job is going to improve.

Ron Covell is a bit of a legend in the metal working community. The man is a fountain of knowledge and skill. His videos are well worth the watch. Though, he can be a little "slow" in his delivery if you already understand the concepts he is discussing. I like to set his videos to 1.15x-1.25x speed.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I forgot I had posted here.

The Shapton and Suhiro stones are fantastic. The are holding up great and sharpen even my hard as hell Shun kitchen knives. My cheap stones, likely from china, are horrible. My 2000 grit Shapton polishes out the scratches left by the 10,000 grit cheap stone.

Reactions: jr81452
On a completely different note, we were able to pick up a TIG welder recently (chinese knock-off that I got from a friend) now I/we just need to get a bottle of Argon to start giving it 'a-go'.....

Looking forward to doing a few different and interesting projects with it.

Watch a few
On a completely different note, we were able to pick up a TIG welder recently (chinese knock-off that I got from a friend) now I/we just need to get a bottle of Argon to start giving it 'a-go'.....

Youtube videos. There's a few things you must know before you get started.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I forgot I had posted here.

The Shapton and Suhiro stones are fantastic. The are holding up great and sharpen even my hard as hell Shun kitchen knives. My cheap stones, likely from china, are horrible. My 2000 grit Shapton polishes out the scratches left by the 10,000 grit cheap stone.
Been sharpening my plane blades and chisels with Japanese water stones and still use the stones I purchased over 30 years ago. Lap them on occasion to keep them them flat and put a scary sharp edge on good tool steel.

Reactions: oneshot86
Watch a few

Lots of videos and in IMHO the best being Welding Tips & Tricks and Fabricator series. If it doesn't already have one, buy a CK torch, gas lenses and stubby cups since it will make life so much easier. Put myself through college as a welder and at that time only used stick and oxy/acetylene. Over the years acquired good MIG and TIG machines to play around with them in my shop. TIG was a challenging at first but got the hang of it and went through a lot of coupons getting there.

Watch a few

For serious help. https://youtube.com/c/weldingtipsandtricks

For help that is also funny.
Tony is great on everything.

If you are into metalworking at all and haven't seen any of This Old Tony's videos you are missing out. You learn stuff and laugh your head off.

For serious help. https://youtube.com/c/weldingtipsandtricks

For help that is also funny.
Tony is great on everything.

If you are into metalworking at all and haven't seen any of This Old Tony's videos you are missing out. You learn stuff and laugh your head off.
Absolute truth. Jody at WTaT is a master welder, and ToT is master film maker :LOL:
Also check out OxTool for Tom's extensive knowledge and skill, and Abom79 for some supersized machine work and high skill welding.

OXToolco

Abom79

Reactions: Sean the Nailer

What rub do you use on the dindus?

When you are cutting 1/2" stock.....but only find yourself with 3/4" collets.....we resort to what we in the industry call a "professional engineering maneuver".

Before:
IMG_20210309_135357_4.jpg

After:
IMG_20210309_135417_0.jpg

and this right here is the perfect example of Knowledge vs Experience.

No 4-jaw?
4 dowel pinsa around square stock in a round collet?
Center drill, live center and a dog to turn one end round for use in round collet?
Emergency collet?

Today I broke a HSS center drill off in some copper. I popped a keyless chuck off an R8 mill arbor drilling through some stacked thin sheet material when the drill grabbed, and I sliced my thumb open deburring some copper sheet and bled on everything going to the sink digging around for some super glue. Not my best day cutting on metal.

No 4-jaw?
4 dowel pinsa around square stock in a round collet?
Center drill, live center and a dog to turn one end round for use in round collet?
Emergency collet?
I had 15 minutes between classes to bang out the part....the collet chucks were already loaded in the machines (and were being used next class) and i didnt want to take the time to load and set up the 4 jaw just to have to take it back out again.

really i was just being lazy, and the part just had to be round.....not hold any sort of spec.

Ah. "expedient" Totally get that. You did take the time to really wrap that tape nicely though. (y)

I've been an office rat for years, but I did get my start in the shop. Truthfully, many days, I miss working in the shop. I enjoy what I do, but I miss the simplicity (best way to describe it) of working in the shop.

Anyways, I had to dust off some of the old fab skills to fabricate some custom railings for the stair in my new house. The flat rail and the rake rail portion were relatively simple. The curved portions were a total PITA. No drawings to go by and the guy who framed the stair was obviously high. The stair changed pitch from 9.375 on 12 to 12 on 10.625 on the inside, and the outside radius was even different; maybe 6.875 on 12, IIRC. The change in slope was a function of the wedge-shaped treads, so it was unavoidable.....but challenging nonetheless.

Long story short, this was mine and my father's attempt at making a purse out of a sow's ear.

Glad I don't build railings like this for a living.

02.jpg

03.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Attachments

• 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 38
I've been an office rat for years, but I did get my start in the shop. Truthfully, many days, I miss working in the shop. I enjoy what I do, but I miss the simplicity (best way to describe it) of working in the shop.

Anyways, I had to dust off some of the old fab skills to fabricate some custom railings for the stair in my new house. The flat rail and the rake rail portion were relatively simple. The curved portions were a total PITA. No drawings to go by and the guy who framed the stair was obviously high. The stair changed pitch from 9.375 on 12 to 12 on 10.625 on the inside, and the outside radius was even different; maybe 6.875 on 12, IIRC. The change in slope was a function of the wedge-shaped treads, so it was unavoidable.....but challenging nonetheless.

Long story short, this was mine and my father's attempt at making a purse out of a sow's ear.

View attachment 7607651

View attachment 7607653

View attachment 7607655

View attachment 7607656

View attachment 7607657

View attachment 7607658

View attachment 7607661

View attachment 7607662
Great job, may I ask what the tape on the wall is for

Reactions: Geno C.

View attachment 7607651

View attachment 7607653

View attachment 7607655

View attachment 7607656

View attachment 7607657

View attachment 7607658

View attachment 7607661

View attachment 7607662
Turned out good! And not to put down ur build but I'm most envious of ur table, as a fabricator I've never had a fab table that nice lol

Great job, may I ask what the tape on the wall is for

When we were in the framing stage, I installed some 2x10 blocking between the studs for me to anchor the wallrail brackets to.
Like an idiot, I didn't take a photo of where I put them, so I grabbed a stud finder and located the studs and the 2x10s.
Once I knew where the blocking was I could layout the brackets on my wallrail.

Had I to do it all over again, that whole wall up 36" above the stairs would have been filled solid with wood blocking.
I'm one of those "there ain't no kill like overkill" kind of people.

Just finished a hay feeding trailer so I can move my cow feeding station around and keep the pasture from getting pummeled in one spot. Made it to hold 3 round bales. On to the powder coater and then I will fill the open ends with sealed plastic plugs. It's all 3/16" square tubing because that's what I had on hand.....definitely overkill but the bull won't bend it.
0419211141_HDR.jpg
0419211141a_HDR.jpg
0419211140_HDR.jpg

That looks great. Made some decorative rails for my daughter's front porch last year. I couldn't charge enough to do it for anybody else. I ordered the rail caps but the twisting and bending the pickets took a long time trying to match up my twist rates and bends.

Just finished a hay feeding trailer so I can move my cow feeding station around and keep the pasture from getting pummeled in one spot. Made it to hold 3 round bales. On to the powder coater and then I will fill the open ends with sealed plastic plugs. It's all 3/16" square tubing because that's what I had on hand.....definitely overkill but the bull won't bend it.View attachment 7607852View attachment 7607855View attachment 7607857
I wouldn't laugh at you if you'd used 4" 1/2" wall tube.

Made some decorative rails for my daughter's front porch last year. I couldn't charge enough to do it for anybody else.
Tell me about it!

My wife posted some pics over on Facebook or something and one of her friends said something like “do you think your husband would build me some railings? I will gladly pay him.”

I told my wife: “She says that now. The material is bad enough, but the labor would kill her.”

I have about $1500 in what you see in those pictures not including my labor. If I paid me and my dad $15 an hour, the darn things would be completely unaffordable.

Straight or rake rails are one thing, but the curved portions were the booger.

In fairness, a good misc. metals shop likely has more sophisticated equipment and is set up to pound these things out. We are a structural fab shop and are geared up for totally different type work.
Square peg, round hole type situation.

Reactions: kindabitey
I just picked this up for my shop last week. I just got it off the trailer and it will take a minute before I can get it wired up. Then tooling and setting it up how I want will be more time but eventually I'll have a bad ass lathe set up.

Attachments

• IMG_2236.JPG
    IMG_2236.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2235.JPG
    IMG_2235.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 81