• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Think again before hiring Ivy League graduates

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    "We are very concerned about our scores, and find that they are not an accurate reflection of the time and effort put into this class," the petition read, according to the New York Times. "We urge you to realize… that a class with such a high percentage of withdrawals and low grades has failed to make students’ learning and well-being a priority and reflects poorly on the chemistry department as well as the institution as a whole."

Newsflash to you Gen Z stupid fucks: nobody in the working world gives a flying fuck about the time and effort you put into anything. We Boomers and Gen Xers only care about RESULTS.

You don't produce to our standards and you will be fired.

At this point I'd rather have a doctor educated in Chile, Argentina, or Brazil than one from an Ivy League school. I bet my chances are better.

If you want to be a Hillary supporting useful idiot that serves your god Moloch you go to Harvard.

My cousin got her PhD and graduated as a full blown lesbian from there.

She also got rid of all my uncles guns she inherited including his antique Colt revolver and Winchester collection.

Amen.

Real world experience trumps academic excellence every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Now more so than ever.

I sincerely hope your Ivy League degree opens doors for you... just know that it won't be one of my doors.

Good luck.

NYU isn't 'Ivy' by any stretch and the Professor who kicked their asses was Princeton :ROFLMAO:
    Maitland Jones, Jr., the fired professor, taught at NYU after semi-retiring from an earlier academic career at Princeton University.
    Just sayin...

OTOH, I agree with a lot of the comments

many .edu credentials are all hype

Reactions: babyguppy
    I never hired one of little grade-inflated turdheads. And never regretted it.

Had a few work for me over the years and literally they all thought daddy would buy them promotions for doing nothing… because they were Harvards.

HBS types were THE worst.

Sirhr
    The government does. They hired my cousin, who has her doctorate in Anthropology, to go to the border to study the impact of a wall.

It takes a PhD now to tell you, if kept closed, borders keep out invaders. If opened, not so much.

It’s o chem it’s suppose to be hard.
    Kind of what I thought too...

I took chemistry in HS cause I wanted to play with magnesium, acids, and Bunsen burners... Turned out to be a shit ton of math. Lol.

Mike

Reactions: lash
    I have an advanced degree in physics, and chemistry kicked me in the dick. I didn't do so well in Chem-1, so I buckled down and took two solid years of calculus and physics before finishing chem-2 & 3. Did much better then. Just took effort on my part.

What a bunch of little pricks.

I was a post doc in a lab at a prestigious Ivy League University (I suppose that is redundant). This was after undergraduate and graduate school at a VERY Large state university. I was working at the bench one day when the lab PI wandered by and we chatted for a bit. It seemed that he had a "problem."

'Hlee" he says "the students in my class aren't doing well. Many of them are not passing."

"I don't see a problem," I say. "It is incumbent upon them to accumulate the knowledge, assimilate it, and reproduce it upon demand. Their failure is their failure."

"You don't understand. They cannot fail."

"???"

"Department policy says that I cannot give failing final grades..."

Some reasonably good advice was given to me (and the rest of the class) in an upper division undergrad class. (paraphrased) "Go to state school for undergrad- the bigger the better. Take the biggest classes. Learn to thrive in the cutthroat world of a "weed-out class" where the goal is to fail a certain % of the students. Thrive where you are a faceless number in an ocean of faceless numbers. Then, go to grad school at 'prestigious University.' When you get there, you will be surrounded by students that have been coddled for their entire existence. You will excel because you have been conditioned to be self-reliant, where the private/Ivy school students have never worked without a safety net."

If you want to be a Hillary supporting useful idiot that serves your god Moloch you go to Harvard.

She also got rid of all my uncles guns she inherited including his antique Colt revolver and Winchester collection.
    Get her to send pics of her eating ass!

Coming from the perspective of someone with a eighth grade education i cant believe how stupid some of my friends and spouses with masters degrees are. When i got kicked out of private school in 9th grade i transferred to public and they were teaching stuff i learned in 4th and 5th grade. It was at that point i quit and started looking for a career

There is nothing more satisfying then to roll up in a driveway to see a fancy car with some fancy school sticker or alumni plate and jerk the cutouts open on their transformer because they didn't pay there bill.......as they look at you like an under performing servant.

NYU isn't 'Ivy' by any stretch and the Professor who kicked their asses was Princeton :ROFLMAO:

Just sayin...

OTOH, I agree with a lot of the comments

many .edu credentials are all hype
    the moment I saw Princeton teaching NYU; it wasn't hard to figure out why so many students were struggling.
    82 out of 350.. those 82 probably need to find another major like gender studies.

Ivy League grads do a great job at the jobs their dad gets them when they graduate. They take up space, create CO2, and absorb a paycheck better than anyone!

Had an Econ Professor who was Smart and tough. The day of finals he was extremely excited. I asked him what was up.. He got a job teaching at Wharton.

Reactions: lash
    I never hired one of little grade-inflated turdheads. And never regretted it.

Had a few work for me over the years and literally they all thought daddy would buy them promotions for doing nothing… because they were Harvards.

HBS types were THE worst.

Sirhr
    In my last career (30 years worth) our training dept was tasked with creating a training manual for first line management to help them deal with parents that called in and wanted to know why their precious little millennial hadn’t received a raise or promotion in the last month or two. I told them that is a one sentence training manual. It should read, “Your child is an adult, it’s none of your fucking business.” Fortunately corporate saw the humor in it but did not approve my approach.

In construction, we always looked for the children of our good hands. Then for farm or ranch kids.

I've had a few employees through the years that couldn't read or write to various degrees. One could only sign his name after you read the paper to him. Without exception, every one of these men were among the best employees and finest individuals I have ever met.

Thank you,
    MrSmith

In construction, we always looked for the children of our good hands. Then for farm or ranch kids.

I've had a few employees through the years that couldn't read or write to various degrees. One could only sign his name after you read the paper to him. Without exception, every one of these men were among the best employees and finest individuals I have ever met.

Thank you,
    MrSmith

This isn't a rant against education or the value of it.

Some bricklayer doesn't need to be able to know organic chemistry, differential equations, or even how to read. A doctor, engineer, chemist, pharmacist, etc better fucking know how.

This isn't a rant against education or the value of it.

Some bricklayer doesn't need to be able to know organic chemistry, differential equations, or even how to read. A doctor, engineer, chemist, pharmacist, etc better fucking know how.
    Agreed. However, never confuse having education and training with knowing your trade. Whether you are a bricklayer or a doctor. Which is the essence of the article referenced in your original post.

Thank you,
    MrSmith

My last year of my career(2020). I taught a wastewater class at a local college.
    Among my students were a gaggle of "paper putzes" who were adding to their long list of certifications, so that they could sit on a city council some day and tell people they were "qualified" to set municipal policy. I'm sure they wanted it for "enviro-nazi pursuits" as well.

They complained about the class, before they took the exam. Their complaint was that I hadn't adequately covered "what would be on the test".
    I informed the director of the program in an email that its my job to educate wastewater operators in the function and operation of all biological and chemical processes, along with the vast and complicated systems involved. It is not my job to teach them how to pass a wastewater exam.
    I also explained that a wastewater certification should be necessarily difficult to obtain for a good reason.

Our world is filled with educated idiots, and they are making it even easier to obtain useless and meaningless credentials.

At this point I'd rather have a doctor educated in Chile, Argentina, or Brazil than one from an Ivy League school. I bet my chances are better.

Don't know if it's still true, but it was well known that FCGEMS for foreign doctors to practice in US were much harder than the USMLE for US doctors to practice.

Reactions: 308pirate
    Any quality chemistry or biology program will have higher DFW rates than other programs. The university I work for has a very competitive BSN nursing program. The students have to enroll as pre-nursing first, then after two years they apply to move to BSN program status. Every year in July, without a doubt, all of the majors on campus receive inquiries from students who “have had a change of heart” on what they want to do with their life. This is code for “I got rejected from BSN” and they need a new major. Same thing happens for the pre-med students. Can you imagine if they didn’t cut the fat and let everyone through? Contrary to some beliefs, most faculty want rigor in their programs and don’t want to just print diplomas. It is usually the administration that puts heat on you for high DFW rates.

I went to an undergrad known for grade deflation. One of my advanced classes in my major had a bluebook midterm; the next class the professor announced he would read the best answer and proceeded to read mine. When I got it back it had a "B+" on it. I went up to him after and asked why he gave me a "B+" if it was the best answer. He said if I gave you an "A" you would be teaching the class...

Reactions: oneshot86
    I went to an undergrad known for grade deflation. One of my advanced classes in my major had a bluebook midterm; the next class the professor announced he would read the best answer and proceeded to read mine. When I got it back it had a "B+" on it. I went up to him after and asked why he gave me a "B+" if it was the best answer. He said if I gave you an "A" you would be teaching the class...

That's bullshit too

Thank you,
    MrSmith
    Worked at a chicken processing plant during the summers in high school... And for a bit after I graduated. There was on old man there that was the live dock supervisor. He had been there his entire life. He could dope out a sign on the wall and sign his name... But for all practical purposes he was illiterate.

His face looked like it had worn out 3 bodies but he might have been one of the toughest men I've ever known... He raised a family doing what he did for 40 years.

Mike

Reactions: oneshot86
    "Best" is a quality without an absolute quantity. The "best" answer received a B+? Well, maybe it was only 85% correct. That everyone else's response was less correct does not make your answer any more correct- warranting a higher grade...

Met some people who have graduated from Ivy League schools. Not that impressed. While they might be book smart, a lot of them lack common sense in dealing with real world situations.

Not Ivy league related, but we had a kid at the machine shop I work in that had taken two years of machining at our local University.

He was all proud, saying he had two years of experience. I told him, "No, you have two years of schooling. You have zero practical application."

I think I hurt his feelers. Too fucking bad. Turned out he didn't know shit, and wouldn't take advice. He quit after about 6 months if I remember correctly.

Reactions: UKDslayer
    I worked over 40 years in commercial construction as an engineer and project executive and several of the younger tradesmen guys that I worked with before I retired were sons of guys I worked with many moons ago. All were top notch mechanics (sheet metal/plumbers/fitters) and were well educated through both Comm. College and union apprenticeship programs, and guess what, they're all making six figure incomes and NO student loan debt.
    We need more young people to learn a trade. We sure as Hell don't need more lawyers, tranny supporting teachers, gender study grads (whatever the F--k that is)
    Construction is just that "building things" not tearing things down like a BLM rioter or contributing nothing to society as some dumbass left wing political activist, 90% of .Gov employees or a fricking politician.
    OK rant over.
    And hey I just passed my law of contracts exam for my TX real estate license and I'm 71 and still want to work!

I started kindergarten in a Catholic school where the nuns had us sitting at desks and learning the three R's. Then we moved to a different state where, because of my December birth date, I had to wait until the following fall to start kindergarten again in a public school. We finger painted and took naps. This was in mid 60's.

I started kindergarten in a Catholic school where the nuns had us sitting at desks and learning the three R's. Then we moved to a different state where, because of my December birth date, I had to wait until the following fall to start kindergarten again in a public school. We finger painted and took naps. This was in mid 60's.
    What are the three r's?

Newsflash to you Gen Z stupid fucks: nobody in the working world gives a flying fuck about the time and effort you put into anything. We Boomers and Gen Xers only care about RESULTS.

You don't produce to our standards and you will be fired.

I’ve fired plenty of boomers too, “Son I’ve been doing this for blah blah blah”

And I’m like
    “God bless America where you can suck that bad for that long and still afford all that food”

Ain’t a generation thing, its a culture/individual thing

I’ve fired plenty of boomers too, “Son I’ve been doing this for blah blah blah”

And I’m like
    “God bless America where you can suck that bad for that long and still afford all that food”

Ain’t a generation thing, its a culture/individual thing
    I was just mentioning to a colleague that I haven't taken off more than 3 days in a row in years (other than death in family). Meanwhile, critical deadline approaches (to whom it's critical who knows), but "I have a cold and cannot work from home." WHAT???????????? I had freakin covid and the day I got it I worked OT. I was out the next day and back the next the day (after I had the whopper headache the day before).

So cultural and individual thing - I think it happens long before one "is educated."

I've often been told and agreed by my more motivated colleagues in previous jobs...you know what your problem is? You actually give a shit, as do I...that's why we'll never go anywhere here.

Reactions: TurboTrout

Did you get any guns?

Was it this place?
    g04.gif

• Haha
    Reactions: JoshPutman
    I was a post doc in a lab at a prestigious Ivy League University (I suppose that is redundant). This was after undergraduate and graduate school at a VERY Large state university. I was working at the bench one day when the lab PI wandered by and we chatted for a bit. It seemed that he had a "problem."

'Hlee" he says "the students in my class aren't doing well. Many of them are not passing."

"I don't see a problem," I say. "It is incumbent upon them to accumulate the knowledge, assimilate it, and reproduce it upon demand. Their failure is their failure."

"You don't understand. They cannot fail."

"???"

"Department policy says that I cannot give failing final grades..."

Some reasonably good advice was given to me (and the rest of the class) in an upper division undergrad class. (paraphrased) "Go to state school for undergrad- the bigger the better. Take the biggest classes. Learn to thrive in the cutthroat world of a "weed-out class" where the goal is to fail a certain % of the students. Thrive where you are a faceless number in an ocean of faceless numbers. Then, go to grad school at 'prestigious University.' When you get there, you will be surrounded by students that have been coddled for their entire existence. You will excel because you have been conditioned to be self-reliant, where the private/Ivy school students have never worked without a safety net."
    Awesome post

In my youth, to the disappointment of my U.T. educated family, I fished and hunted and ran with some local hillbilly clans that were all homogenized into one type of illiterate aborigines called 'cedar choppers.'

None of them graduated high school and most dropped out by the tenth grade when they realized they were grown men that should be working instead of wasting time in school with kids. Most could barely read and write but all seemed to be gifted with numbers in how much firewood and stone was worth, how many cords or tons they hauled that day and most important, how much money you owed them.
    They were also seemingly born knowing mechanics and how to fix and rebuild engines.

Long story short, most of them retired millionaires after enduring the hard tough life of operating stone quarries and selling them to big corporations. One that I worked for in high school had gotten married and moved into town to his first dwelling that had indoor plumbing and electricity.

He sold what is now the biggest stone quarry in central Texas and lives on his ranch in San Angelo.

I took organic chemistry in college back in the mid seventies.... The professor was a good ol boy PhD who spent most of his career at NASA. He would walk across the front of the blackboard from left to right.... As he did that he wrote the equations with his right hand.... and erased them with his left hand as he passed by.... Fuck me! I managed to get a C in the course and felt lucky. Other students were dropping like flys.

Did you get any guns?
    No. My uncle divorced the mother of my cousin when we were in high school. She knew my cousin would inherit family money so she hung around for decades.

When I visited my uncle who was in the hospital dying of cancer I saw the ex aunt and cousin for the first time in years. I told them if there was anything I could do to help let me know such as storing my uncles books and guns. It was a genuine offer but the ex aunt was quick to snap 'We're taking the guns. We want them."

In a time of grief, I wasn't in a frame of mind to respond "I'm sure you do want them. I was just offering a safe place to store everything until you get back to town, you gold digging mercenary b*tch."

• Angry
    Reactions: Sniperwannabee
    First of all, NYU is not Ivy League.
    Secondly, where a person goes to college is just part of the equation. Character is molded since young, and is largely influenced by parents and the environment growing up. There are idiots everywhere, in both Ivy and shitty schools.

Having said that, if your kid has the talent and opportunity to attend Harvard/MIT/Stanford, or any of the top colleges, you be an idiot to prevent or discourage him from doing so. If you taught them well, they will remain core to their character regardless of where they attend college, graduate with a prestigious degree that they can hang their hat on for the rest of their life, and use it as leverage to bigger things.

I had to show a kid three times how to chain down a machine on a trailer and he still couldn't figure out how to use the ratchets. He was going to college to be a Pharmaceutical Technician. I have a video to prove it.

• Wow
    Reactions: gigamortis
    Was it this place?
    g04.gif
    Not quite but they would take the ruler to the back of the knuckles if you acted up. I do think that half year with them is the reason I got a prize for being the best reader in the 2nd grade. The prize was a book of course, I still have it.

Reactions: Im2bent
    In my youth, to the disappointment of my U.T. educated family, I fished and hunted and ran with some local hillbilly clans that were all homogenized into one type of illiterate aborigines called 'cedar choppers.'

None of them graduated high school and most dropped out by the tenth grade when they realized they were grown men that should be working instead of wasting time in school with kids. Most could barely read and write but all seemed to be gifted with numbers in how much firewood and stone was worth, how many cords or tons they hauled that day and most important, how much money you owed them.
    They were also seemingly born knowing mechanics and how to fix and rebuild engines.

Long story short, most of them retired millionaires after enduring the hard tough life of operating stone quarries and selling them to big corporations. One that I worked for in high school had gotten married and moved into town to his first dwelling that had indoor plumbing and electricity.

He sold what is now the biggest stone quarry in central Texas and lives on his ranch in San Angelo.

Somerset Maugham, the English writer, once wrote a story about a janitor at St. Peter’s Church in London. One day a young vicar discovered that the janitor was illiterate and fired him. Jobless, the man invested his meager savings in a tiny tobacco shop, where he prospered, bought another, expanded, and ended up with a chain of tobacco stores worth several hundred thousand dollars. One day the man’s banker said, “You’ve done well for an illiterate, but where would you be if you could read and write?” “Well,” replied the man, “I’d be janitor of St. Peter’s Church in Neville Square.”