• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Think again before hiring Ivy League graduates

I had to show a kid three times how to chain down a machine on a trailer and he still couldn't figure out how to use the ratchets. He was going to college to be a Pharmaceutical Technician. I have a video to prove it.
4 years to learn how to read the dose instructions from the back of the meds box, and you are surprised?

Im having a hard time coming up with a more useless profession than pharmacist.

Newsflash to you Gen Z stupid fucks: nobody in the working world gives a flying fuck about the time and effort you put into anything. We Boomers and Gen Xers only care about RESULTS.

You don't produce to our standards and you will be fired.

At this point I'd rather have a doctor educated in Chile, Argentina, or Brazil than one from an Ivy League school. I bet my chances are better.
Nothing new. Whe I wwent to UVA in the mid 90's there was rampant grade inflation. It makes the profs look bad if anyone fails. Fuck them all.

Amen.

Real world experience trumps academic excellence every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Now more so than ever.

I sincerely hope your Ivy League degree opens doors for you... just know that it won't be one of my doors.

Good luck.
I don’t disagree. But Inalways looked for the people from second and third tier schools. State schools. People with a year or two of CC before…

But also with top of their class grades. I didn’t care what their field was… except I never hired communications majors to do… communications. They came in ruined. I looked for the person who had a 4.0 in whatever… and could learn exponentially and was a good thinker. The rest is on the job training.

Then again, that was 20-30 years ago and hiring was very different.

Reactions: vinniedelpino
didn't they warn you , your going to have to have safe spaces on your job site just so they can cry safely lol

I don’t disagree. But Inalways looked for the people from second and third tier schools. State schools. People with a year or two of CC before…

But also with top of their class grades. I didn’t care what their field was… except I never hired communications majors to do… communications. They came in ruined. I looked for the person who had a 4.0 in whatever… and could learn exponentially and was a good thinker. The rest is on the job training.

Then again, that was 20-30 years ago and hiring was very different.
Same here. My field requires a graduate degree.

My ideal hire also worked full time while going to school full time. The degree can be from the University of American Somoa for all I care. He drives a shitbox econocar and buys his clothes at Kohls, has little/no student loan balance and packs his lunch. That guy's going places.

If he looks me in the eye, has a firm handshake and calls me to follow up on the interview consider the position filled.

When I arrived at graduate school I found that many people from fancy universities had obviously been pushed along and couldn't do shit for work. I ate them for lunch. One of my undergrad professors kicked all the engineers out of our 2nd semester class--"you're not smart enough to be here" (this was at a highly respected state engineering school). If you push people, they can perform. By the time we were seniors, we were academic killers. We shared a class with incoming grad students and pulled a Larry Bird "which one of you bastards is getting the Bs because we're taking all the As in this course" (and the key part-followed up by denying them anything above a B+)

I asked several key faculty about grad school and they told me not to bother with Ivies--they just trade students with each other.

In my field, not a single Ivy is worth reading their research and at the last conference there were 0 speakers/invited talks from Ivy League schools. Someone let the guy from Standford in, but he did some cool stuff so...

Where got my MBA it was a top school and they had strict rules about how many As and Bs were handed out. The professors handed out copies of the academic policies when classes began.

I was an older student and fresh out of the Army and working for serial entrepreneur who gave zero fucks. And busting my ass every night until 1 studying to get one of the two As in each class.

The first Semester Econ class was a selection class and taught by a visiting professor from U Chicago. He made it clear that he did not grade on a curve. And his tests were heavy on math. If you read the book and did all the problems and redid all the problems you were golden.

The mid term was a rough test but I got a 95 and a Korean got a 98. The rest of the class got 60s and worse. With a few 80s. Everyone was complaining in class when the test was reviewed.

When it came time for me to comment I told everyone, “You all should shut the fuck up and learn how to study.”

Most of the kids in there were full of themselves. Some buckled down and got the memo, but the rest got flayed by the Finance class the next semester. The class size was cut in half by then.

College and other higher professional occupations need selection classes to weed out the weak and undisciplined. And so do businesses need selection assignments to decide who should move into higher ranks.

Reactions: Carlos Danger
I was a post doc in a lab at a prestigious Ivy League University (I suppose that is redundant). This was after undergraduate and graduate school at a VERY Large state university. I was working at the bench one day when the lab PI wandered by and we chatted for a bit. It seemed that he had a "problem."

'Hlee" he says "the students in my class aren't doing well. Many of them are not passing."

"I don't see a problem," I say. "It is incumbent upon them to accumulate the knowledge, assimilate it, and reproduce it upon demand. Their failure is their failure."

"You don't understand. They cannot fail."

"???"

"Department policy says that I cannot give failing final grades..."

Some reasonably good advice was given to me (and the rest of the class) in an upper division undergrad class. (paraphrased) "Go to state school for undergrad- the bigger the better. Take the biggest classes. Learn to thrive in the cutthroat world of a "weed-out class" where the goal is to fail a certain % of the students. Thrive where you are a faceless number in an ocean of faceless numbers. Then, go to grad school at 'prestigious University.' When you get there, you will be surrounded by students that have been coddled for their entire existence. You will excel because you have been conditioned to be self-reliant, where the private/Ivy school students have never worked without a safety net."
Ask someone going into open heart surgery if they're OK with their surgeon just getting "passed" so no one's widdle feewings get hurt? That's what this world is coming to. Championing mediocrity so everyone can be a winner.

I am a masters holding engineer. I started school late at 27 years old, having been a Lance Corporal and a carpenter up to that point. I worked during my undergrad years, got married then divorced and went back to school for the MS. I was awarded an assistants position that paid for tuition and about $600/month. I augmented this with carpentry when I could. My rent was $450 and another $150 in utilities. There were many times that I didn't eat for 3 days.

Later in life, I was assigned to train newly graduated engineers. Most were dumb as fuck. I told them there was a good reason that most engineers first name was "Fucking" and that they needed a good amount of field time before doing any engineer shit. I would assign them to men with years of experience but no degree, tell them to ask questions but not to the point of being annoying and to make any suggestions only through me. Many would quit within weeks. Good riddance. The ones that had common sense (the true test of intelligence) were either farm kids, came from lower income families and were the first to graduate college in their family or were older than the average grad. I asked our HR lady to focus on those types so we weren't wasting time and money on the dipshits. She saw the value and we had a much higher retention rate after she did.