• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Thompson Center Dimension bolt rifle

scmp

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2012
Hello,

This is my first time posting on this forum although I've been lurking around for some time.

I did find a number of posts regarding TC Dimension rifle but mainly questions and very few owner's reviews. I'm not very proficient in writing reviews of any kind but I'll make an attempt for this rifle since it is a new model and it appears that there is some interest around it.

So here we go.

First things first, this is a $557 rifle; this is what I paid for it at budsgunshop plus $22 to my FFL for the transfer. So comparing it with a Blaser is absolutely pointless.

Second, I haven't shot it yet. I'm planning to update the review with a range report once I make it to the range, hopefully this weekend.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">LOC - Lock Optimized Components</span>

I find this to be very ingenious although not necessarily original. Nemesis Arms Vanquish has been around for a while, albeit at an over $4K price tag. Nemesis uses same bolt and mag across all calibers they make a barrel for, Dimension does not.

The torque tools supplied with the rifle are high quality and I can see how they contribute to the sub-MOA guarantee of this rifle.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Fit and finish</span>

Unexpectedly good. While plastic, the stock is very well finished. The barrel has a very, very nice blue and no machine marks. Assembling it is very easy; everything just falls into place. The finish is way above Ruger; which is what I was expecting from a $557 rifle.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Design</span> - this may be the main thing about this rifle

Before buying it, just looking at pictures, I found it a bit unusual myself, but not "from the ugly tree" as I read through posts on this and other forums. In reality I find it to be actually a very nice design. Plus, how many times have you been at the range and had to ask the owners to find out what their traditional looking rifles were? With this, there is no confusion, if you had seen it even in passing, you will know it is a Dimension. If the design will remain a subjective matter influenced by individual preferences, the ergonomics of the rifle should be outstanding for anyone. The rifle immediatelly gets into a natural shooting position and there are no sources of discomfort or tension.

The barrel is so free floating that there are absolutely no reasons to think about how the forend affects accuracy as it is usually the case with most rifles.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Action</span>

It is not Tikka smooth but smooth enough and it is getting better by just using it. The bolt is non-binding and can be removed without removing the action or scratching the stock as others suggested; the manual explains it just fine.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Issues</span>, or, rather, inconveniences

The trigger is supposed to be adjustable between 3.5 and 5 lbs. The adjusting screw is easily reachable the problem is that it is stuck. Another reviewer mentioned the same problem in a magazine. Luckily, mine breaks at exactly 3.5 lbs so I can ignore it.

The pins holding the trigger to the frame are very loose and almost came off every time I removed the action. A dab of blue Locktite fixed the problem.

Trigger has a very bit of travel which doesn't seem to be constant between trigger pulls and breaks like a carrot. It may be more a matter of perception. It is still a very good trigger and since, if I'm not mistaken, it is the same as the Ikon trigger there may be known improvement methods. I'll see after actual shooting it if any is needed.

The manual mentions and shows a picture of a trigger adjustment tool. I did not get that tool. Just a small allen key that just bends when trying to adjust the trigger screw.

The stock has 2 spacers and a very soft recoil pad. The recoil pad has the TC logo but I bet it is a Limbsaver.

So here it is, more like first impressions. Mine is a .223. If it turns out to be a keeper, and I have the feeling that it will be, I'll decide what other calibers to get for it.

As I said, I'll update this post after taking it to the range.

Re: Thompson Center Dimension bolt rifle

pics? would like to see how it performs with factory ammo, and how comfortable that stock it comes with is.

i've been hearing more and more buzz about these....i'm glad thompson is making repeater rifles now......if this one shoots anything like the Icon i had, it'll be a keeper

I took it to the range today and it shoots amazingly well. The picture below is the best group of the day, 3 round group. I shot 200 rounds without cleaning. Most groups were MOA or better; groups were opening up after long strings, 20 - 30 rounds, when barrel was getting too hot. Ammo was factory, .223 PMC 55gr FMJ. Scope 8x32x44 Muller Target. 100 yards.

IMG_20120908_171456.jpg

Thanks for the review!

Just a few questions

1. What is the profile of the barrel and if you have the capability what is the diameter at 16"?

2 what twist is your. 223 (on there website it lists 1:9 and 1:12)?

3. How smooth and easy is the bolt compared to the 700 and model 70?

4. Why did you choose this rifle over the other options out there (I am just curious )?

If they made this with a 300blk barrel (they should be able to seeing as smith and Wesson does and they belong to the same group). I bet they would sell tons more.

You're welcome.

1. What is the profile of the barrel and if you have the capability what is the diameter at 16"?

Sorry, I don't have calipers to measure. The profile, if this profile has a name, I don't know it. It is not flutted and least I can tell you that. Below is a picture of the barrel that I got from the EABCO site.

207-dbar.jpg

Below is my rifle, assembled.

IMG_20120909_124529.jpg

IMG_20120909_124658.jpg

2. what twist is your. 223 (on there website it lists 1:9 and 1:12)?

The twist rate is not marked on the barrel. Going by the specs, the .223 I have has a 1:12 twist. Only the 5R rifling logo is marked on the barrel.

3. How smooth and easy is the bolt compared to the 700 and model 70?

I haven't had a 700 or a 70 so I can't compare. If my benchmark for actions is Tikka, I'd say this is 75% there. Regardless, there is nothing about the Dimension action that bothers me. Smooth enough, bolt not binding, no real effort to chamber.

4. Why did you choose this rifle over the other options out there (I am just curious )?

I was sold on the switch barrel/caliber concept. I started with an Encore Pro-Hunter but that was a big disapointment due to the caracteristics of the break open platform not being the most suitable for good accuracy.

Sounds great from a mechanical standpoint. I just wonder what they were smoking when they designed that stock. Butt ugly.
laugh.gif
IMHO

Regards, Paul