• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thompson Long Range “Twist Match” bullets - Have we done this one yet?

Basher

I fly stuff and I know things.
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2004
Lafayette IN, USA
I have no dog in this fight, nor do I have any plans to play beta tester, as I’m quite happy with the performance of what I’m already using (SMK, ELD-M, VLDs, etc.), but thought this might make for a fun and lively discussion if it hasn’t been touched on yet. :)

“Twist Match” bullets

25E97DB4-6004-4F90-A024-CDF5EFC59405.jpeg

“Spiral = spiral!” -Marc Thompson

Reactions: Baldbull151
🤨

Well from the video, the boat tail looks steep and the meplat is pretty blunt for a start.
I don't understand the drill comparison either.

For many years I wanted to try to make a bullet fly better and the best way was to see if I could improve on existing bullets by modifying them. I tried several different and exotic things. Some that were well beyond comprehension! Somewhere along the way I knew that if I could increase the surface of the nose or ogive of the bullet, I could reduce the resistance. Several bullet manufactures do this by making that portion of the bullet longer, this can create stability problems and for those who like to load close to the lands, the cartridge becomes too long for the magazine box.

AND

By cutting groves through the radius of the Ogive, it was obvious that I could keep a shorter nose yet increase the surface area. If the groves did not match the twist of the barrel, the test was pointless. I tried several depths, widths, lengths and number of groves, most all through a 1in 10 right-hand twist rifle. What was noticeable right away was the accuracy, consistent tighter groups at several distances out to and including 1200 yards with the Twist Match bullets. Remember, my comparison was with the exact same bullet with no groves, modifications were made so weights were the same and muzzle velocity was also the same.

Doesn't add up to me but,
@Jim Boatright OR @THEIS, any merit?

Last edited:
Hi,

So you cannot buy the bullets but if you take his class he will let you shoot a couple of them...

Guarantee you hit the 1000yd target during class or you don't pay...but you have to use 30-378 Weatherby during the class, personal rifles not allowed.

Sincerely,
Theis

• Haha
Reactions: Steel head
30-378.
If you can handle the recoil you could prob shoot a 168smk and break that magical 600 yard barrier and hit at 1000....😜

If you put twist in the bullets and twist in the barrel does that mean you double your twist rate? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Basher
I wish they were hollow on the inside made out of a carbide tube with a plated on jacket

Hi,

So you cannot buy the bullets but if you take his class he will let you shoot a couple of them...

Guarantee you hit the 1000yd target during class or you don't pay...but you have to use 30-378 Weatherby during the class, personal rifles not allowed.

Sincerely,
Theis

So these bullets are so special that the recesses cut into the bullet align with the rifling .... What if it’s a 4, 5r, 6, or different groove barrel. Or the bullet jams into the lands instead of intended orientation? No wonder these bullets only work in his rifles and his documentation seems nothing more than anecdotal. I mean “the bullets impacted higher on the target” so they must be better, right?