• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Thoughts on the Barrett BORS for Nightforce NXS

300snipe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2009
Northern Nevada, NV
Hey all,

I've been doing a lot of searching and haven't seen any threads on the BORS unit that Barret makes. Anyone have experience with this device - is it worth the money? Obviously it takes a lot of fact finding and dope reference out of the game but I can see where it would come in handy for quick shots at alternating distances. At approximately $1400 I can see it being worth the money if I opt to not go buy a new Zeiss LRF for $750. Already have an NXS to put the BORS on if it's a good option.

Here's a link to the product: http://www.eurooptic.com/product~description~BORS_for_Nightforce_NXS_8-32.htm

Re: Thoughts on the Barrett BORS for Nightforce NXS

My opinion is biased considering I have never owned one, I think my money would be spent elsewhere, it does't do anything a quality ballistics program cant do.

A Palm with Horus ATrag and a Kestrel 4000 will run you around $500, add a quality rangefinder to that mix and your around $1400-1500. With the BORS, you still need to input wind as well as know your conditions and distance to target.

I already have a Kestrel that I use all the time. I like the idea of the BORS because it sits on the scope and it's one less thing to have to carry around in a range bag and one less thing that I have to remember to bring along, it would already be on the rifle. The money isn't an issue and I'd consider having a Zeiss LRF and the BORS at the same time.

I've been looking at getting a Windows Mobile phone (for shame, I can't stand microsoft anything) so I can run a ballistics program at the range/field instead of having to carry around charts. So the BORS would address that and I wouldn't have to tarnish my computing resources with a buggy/crashing microsuck OS.

Printing ballistic charts beforehand is all good but sometimes you get different altitude and pressure that you didn't consider/print for and then have to manually do it in the field - you know what I mean. Kind of a hassle.

Would be nice to hear some first hand reports from owners if they're out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My opinion is biased considering I have never owned one, I think my money would be spent elsewhere, it does't do anything a quality ballistics program cant do.

A Palm with Horus ATrag and a Kestrel 4000 will run you around $500, add a quality rangefinder to that mix and your around $1400-1500. With the BORS, you still need to input wind as well as know your conditions and distance to target. </div></div>

Having read a bit about the BORS, I am curious to know what conditions, other than wind and range, you refer to? It can contain 100 ballistic tables for different cartridges, some supplied, and software to input custom tables.

Just asking, no offense intended.

OK this might be long winded but here it goes.....
If you are an operator on a mission and want to dial in specific ranges without wipping out a your PDA, or DOPE card it is great. But as stated before by CPT Kirk you are going to figure out your wind. If you are using this it is my opinion that you should be able to figure out wind with a calculator anyway. So if you're having to bring out your calculator why not just bring out your PDA? Good point right........Well the Bors still has another trick up it's sleave. It figures out the trajectory change based on temp change, barometric changes, angle of fire, and it has a built in level. You can also go in and design your own card and edit the drop tables. So to be pinpoint ALWAYS CONFIRM, RECORD, AND RECONFIRM DATA GUYS. Cool and useful yes. It has pros and cons like anything but it is useful like anything else, it's another tool. I feel though no beginner should start out with it. Yes I am using one for now because it is just a filler till I either decide on a USO or Hensoldt then back to old school for me. Just me guys. Every beginner and even experienced shooter should always go back to the beginning and stay sharp on the basics. Just me, also I know it i sitting high. This was intened for 107 with a full rail so give me a break no ball busting on ring height, I got it
IMGP5466.jpg

IMGP5467.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csacpt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Having read a bit about the BORS, I am curious to know what conditions, other than wind and range, you refer to? It can contain 100 ballistic tables for different cartridges, some supplied, and software to input custom tables.

Just asking, no offense intended. </div></div>

The BORS gives you air temp and baro pressure, you still need to know your distance to target and dial for wind, I said "conditions" which isn't entirely accurate, since it does calculate for the above conditions.

Kirk R