• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Thoughts on Trij Acog/Which model to buy

cundiff5535

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
Mokena IL
Hey gang, its about time to scope an AR thats been sitting in the safe. I almost always come to this sight to ask thoughts and opinions about what to go with and what other folks who have went down the same path have bought. I have a 16" AR carbine that is ready to be scoped. I would like to get an Acog for it but, there are so many models out there I am not sure what to start looking into. When I look at the Trij Acogs, it seems like they are all 4X with reticule being the major difference. Can anyone give me a a few options or thoughts on what model I would want to look at for an AR15? I am not sure if this is to broad of a statement? If there is more information that you all need... let me know and I can provide it. Just looking to make the smartest and best choice!

Thanks

Trijicon makes M4 specific models that have BDC reticles. For the money I would look at other variable powered optics. If you're hearts set on an ACOG get one. They're very durable optics and will last you a lifetime.

Trijicon makes M4 specific models that have BDC reticles. For the money I would look at other variable powered optics. If you're hearts set on an ACOG get one. They're very durable optics and will last you a lifetime.

Yep. This.

Look at the 1-()X variables, whether it be 1-4, 1-6, or 1-8 depending on what you want to do. If you have to have an ACOG, go for it, but the low variables are a lot more versatile.

If you pay attention to trijicon website there are different models for different purposes.

Not all are 4x first off.
Next besides power would be light setting. Dual illum, tritium, fiber, etc.
after that another difference would be reticle with bdc.
Some models have iron sight peepholes on top, some have rmr attachment , some don't.

It's really many "fixed" variations of the same thing: a fixed power optic with a red dot and bdc reticle.

It would help if you knew you want/don't want dual illum, rmr attachment, then choose what's available from those options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sticking with the acog reco here I love my TA31f-g

It's perfect for 300yrds and in off hand. It's built strong and the tritium is very bright. Very clear glass.
Just know what you are looking to do with the rifle before you buy. Get a acog qd mount from larue and you can always run a variable if you need to and an acog when you want to. Just an idea.

I love my acog for what it is. I won't sell it. But I am also wanting the option for variable so I'll just end up having both with qd mounts.

I vastly prefer my 3.5x powers(ta31 models I think) over the 4x on the ACOG. The eye relief is much better and giving up .5x on such a low power is well worth it to me. Try to take a look through both if you can and you'll see what I'm talking about.

As others have said, 1-6 or something similar is far more versatile. I really like my Vortex HD 1-6 for pretty much the same amount of cash.

I do have a couple ACOGs though because they're what the cool kids have:D I like running a RMR mounted on top but that's getting into some pretty pricey territory.

Hey gang, its about time to scope an AR thats been sitting in the safe. I almost always come to this sight to ask thoughts and opinions about what to go with and what other folks who have went down the same path have bought. I have a 16" AR carbine that is ready to be scoped. I would like to get an Acog for it but, there are so many models out there I am not sure what to start looking into. When I look at the Trij Acogs, it seems like they are all 4X with reticule being the major difference. Can anyone give me a a few options or thoughts on what model I would want to look at for an AR15? I am not sure if this is to broad of a statement? If there is more information that you all need... let me know and I can provide it. Just looking to make the smartest and best choice!

Thanks

In order to offer up the best guidance I would ask the following:

1. At what range do you feel you would be shooting?

2. What type of environment and intended application? (Home defense, competition, many targets, few targets, rapid transition, prone, off hand, etc)

3. ACOG reticles are based off of the Bindon Aiming Concept - a both eyes open approach to target acquisition - making the ACOG just as versatile as 1-4x variable optics and much, much faster as it relates to transitioning from sub 20 meter targets to 200 meter targets. BUT, it takes some getting used to for some people and an astigmatism makes it even harder. If you're used to acquiring a target by looking through your optic first and seeing target 2nd rather than moving your reticle and superimposing it into your sight picture and onto your target then ACOGs may not be the best choice for you. Are you familiar with the Bindon Aiming Concept?

4. Where do weight, eye relief and field of view fall into your priority list?

5. Do you prefer Chevron (triangle), horseshoe & dot, or crosshair aiming point designs?

If you can provide insight with respect to any of the above it would certainly help getting you a recommendation that would best suit your needs...

In order to offer up the best guidance I would ask the following:

1. At what range do you feel you would be shooting?

2. What type of environment and intended application? (Home defense, competition, many targets, few targets, rapid transition, prone, off hand, etc)

3. ACOG reticles are based off of the Bindon Aiming Concept - a both eyes open approach to target acquisition - making the ACOG just as versatile as 1-4x variable optics and much, much faster as it relates to transitioning from sub 20 meter targets to 200 meter targets. BUT, it takes some getting used to for some people and an astigmatism makes it even harder. If you're used to acquiring a target by looking through your optic first and seeing target 2nd rather than moving your reticle and superimposing it into your sight picture and onto your target then ACOGs may not be the best choice for you. Are you familiar with the Bindon Aiming Concept?

4. Where do weight, eye relief and field of view fall into your priority list?

5. Do you prefer Chevron (triangle), horseshoe & dot, or crosshair aiming point designs?

If you can provide insight with respect to any of the above it would certainly help getting you a recommendation that would best suit your needs...

1. At what range do you feel you would be shooting? Realistically 100-300 yards (Max)

2. What type of environment and intended application? A Few Targets for fun (no competition). Probably Prone and Off hand... not going to crazy. Just having fun at the range for now

3. ACOG reticles are based off of the Bindon Aiming Concept - a both eyes open approach to target acquisition - making the ACOG just as versatile as 1-4x variable optics and much, much faster as it relates to transitioning from sub 20 meter targets to 200 meter targets. BUT, it takes some getting used to for some people and an astigmatism makes it even harder. If you're used to acquiring a target by looking through your optic first and seeing target 2nd rather than moving your reticle and superimposing it into your sight picture and onto your target then ACOGs may not be the best choice for you. Are you familiar with the Bindon Aiming Concept?<----I am not but, I have shot rifles both eyes open.

4. Where do weight, eye relief and field of view fall into your priority list?<--- field of view would be nice, eye relief isnt the end of the world as long as I can adjust my stock and mount so that its comfortable to shoot.

5. Do you prefer Chevron (triangle), horseshoe & dot, or crosshair aiming point designs? I am not sure on this actual answer. I have only shot EOTech and Scopes. Most glass is either Mill Dot or Straight cross hair. Dont have much experience with Chevron or the others... I am open to suggestions on this!

1. At what range do you feel you would be shooting? Realistically 100-300 yards (Max)

2. What type of environment and intended application? A Few Targets for fun (no competition). Probably Prone and Off hand... not going to crazy. Just having fun at the range for now

3. ACOG reticles are based off of the Bindon Aiming Concept - a both eyes open approach to target acquisition - making the ACOG just as versatile as 1-4x variable optics and much, much faster as it relates to transitioning from sub 20 meter targets to 200 meter targets. BUT, it takes some getting used to for some people and an astigmatism makes it even harder. If you're used to acquiring a target by looking through your optic first and seeing target 2nd rather than moving your reticle and superimposing it into your sight picture and onto your target then ACOGs may not be the best choice for you. Are you familiar with the Bindon Aiming Concept?<----I am not but, I have shot rifles both eyes open.

4. Where do weight, eye relief and field of view fall into your priority list?<--- field of view would be nice, eye relief isnt the end of the world as long as I can adjust my stock and mount so that its comfortable to shoot.

5. Do you prefer Chevron (triangle), horseshoe & dot, or crosshair aiming point designs? I am not sure on this actual answer. I have only shot EOTech and Scopes. Most glass is either Mill Dot or Straight cross hair. Dont have much experience with Chevron or the others... I am open to suggestions on this!

Sounds like you just need to find your favorite reticle and press buy.

I use the Chevron (triangle) reticle because it gives you a sharp point to zero so on those prone precision shots you have something better than a horseshoe to aim with. 4x is plenty of magnification for the range and type of shooting.

Sounds like the same type of shooting I use mine for.

I have 4 ACOG's of various flavors with the TA31-G being my favorite. But if I had to do it over I would have spent the money on a NighForce NXS 1-4X-24 with the FC-2 reticle which can be used like a red dot at 1X and has much better eye relief than a 4X ACOG. Sport Optic has them on sale for $1029 delivered.

Last edited:
I have a ta31f 4x acog with the chevron reticle and really like it . the eye relief is shorter than the 3.5 ta11 but it has a bigger field of view . if you shoot nose to charging handle then its not an issue . im sure there are plenty of good arguments for a 1x4 or 1x6 variable power scope and i dont disute them . its all in what you want , for me I wanted something as rugged and durable as I could afford and the acog gives me that. my rifle rides on my 4 wheeler , tractor and in the cab of my truck I can and have hit a coyote at 250 yds and shot a deer at 20 yds . its not a target scope for me its a utility scope I can depend on it to make a kill shot on a predator or deer at my personal limits .

I'd look at the 3.5x (TA11) models. IMO, the eye relief is much more comfortable and the field of view is noticeably better. The trade offs are a little extra weight and the size of the optic is significantly larger. Not enough so to be an issue on a 16" gun though. I had always preferred the TA31F-G as well just because it was very easy to be shooting at 100+ focusing on target through the optic and transition to targets 5yds away focusing on target and moving the chevron into my line of sight and using the blur of the triangle as an aiming point. Pretty effective and super fast design when used correctly as you avoid having to take time to adjust magnification.

If you're not already dead set on an ACOG, you might look at the 1-6x or 1-6.5x optics. Great reticle selections, just as light as 1-4, and more magnification range. The 1-6.5 Bushys are legit.

If you prefer a fixed magnification optic, you might like the Elcan ATOS 3x. I bought one of the DMR models and it's the reason I speak of my ACOGs in past tense. I love the reticle, it has zero stops, the field of view is identical to the 4x32 ACOG models and the eye relief is fantastic, much more comfortable than the 4x32. They are roughly 2 ounces heavier than a 4x32 ACOG depending on the mount you're using on each. The Elcan's MSRP is a little north of $1200, but can be found for $800-900 pretty easily. The ATOS ships with a thumbscrew mount, but just like the ACOGs TA-51 mount, it can be replaced with a Larue QD mount as well.

Those would be my recs. good luck brother...