• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Thunder Valley Precision - Ohio 2011 Schedule

Re: Thunder Valley Precision - Ohio 2011 Schedule

AR/Bolt gun team match this Saturday...... Who's in

Im coming up friday early and trying to get my AR playing nice. I'm going to spend friday night in the area, then shoot if I can find a partner on Sat. I couldnt get my Bolt gun load worked, so I will be limited to AR. If I can't partner up, I am still gonna hang out and watch the shoot Sat.

OK, so 20 total targets (With 8 more possible), 8 minutes for a group of 4, 14 min for a group of 8. Do both shooters engage each target, or just one hit between the two of you? How many rounds do you get total? One per target? I know, I know...wait and find out Sat...I'm just trying to plan how many rounds to bring.

Sean

I'll be there!!
Sean, both shooters engage the targets individually 1 guy shoots the other spots, you get a max of 3 shots per target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR10 sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be there!!
Sean, both shooters engage the targets individually 1 guy shoots the other spots, you get a max of 3 shots per target. </div></div>

So, I need about 85 rounds if we go with the extra 8 targets. Wow, ok. Thanks for the info. I hate it for my partner. I have no clue how to spot or talk adjustments....

Sean

I'm in, provided my ammo shows up in time. If not I'll just spectate and throw things at flounder while he shoots.

I'm in for Saturday. Don't worry Sean, you won't be the only one whose partner is gonna take a hit. I don't have a load made up, so I'm stuck with factory ammo, and my new scope / mount aren't here yet, so I don't even have enough elevation adjustment to reach all the distances with my set-up. Should be interesting.

Also, I have never spotted for anyone either. Whoever gets me as a partner is a Saint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afd77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in for Saturday. Don't worry Sean, you won't be the only one whose partner is gonna take a hit. I don't have a load made up, so I'm stuck with factory ammo, and my new scope / mount aren't here yet, so I don't even have enough elevation adjustment to reach all the distances with my set-up. Should be interesting.

Also, I have never spotted for anyone either. Whoever gets me as a partner is a Saint.
</div></div>

For an otherwise experienced shooter, I was pretty much a train wreck my first trip to TVP. Karl earned his sainthood helping me out that day. There will be plenty of folks to help you out. Besides, a bad day shooting is better than a good day working. And if that doesn't help, kick flounderv2.

I'm looking forward to this weekends shooting events.
We are on our way to better weather but we have a few weeks of Ohio/winter attitude. Please bare with us on the mobiliztion. We will drive when possible but if not we hump. We will accomodate those who are not able to walk the course accordinally..even if we have to carry you or drag you..lol.

The Boss..

Tom, I can't wait to get out there this weekend, looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

I loaded up some very soft loads for the 7/300 WSM to shoot on the short target plates, they're ballistic twins to a 7mm-08 with 162 Amax's.

It's been far too long since I made the trek out, I'm looking forward to another great season of TVP shoots.

April schedule has been updated

Gunns and I will be there sat. Are we shooting rain or shine? And I may be bringing my cousin's step son who is in a shooting club for 4-H just to let him see us shooting at longer ranges than he's ever seen anyone hit at.

Thanks,
Merritt

Shooters,

I would'nt worry about the rain, they are never right anyway.
If it's too rainy or wet we can shoot under cover of the shooting building. I can still count on one hand in 9 years that we had to cancel a match due to rain. But, who knows, this is the crazy and unpredictable weather season.

Stupid work has me travelling at 6am on Sunday. So, I need to get home early enough on Saturday to get packed and get some sleep.

I am going to come out tomorrow and shoot. Since I already have a hotel laid on, I am going to stay Fri night and come out and observe Sat til noon or so. SO, I dont get to shoot in the comp
mad.gif

The comp. is just really a training day so please shoot with us till you have to head out, that is if you want to. I always tell shooters to look at our shooting events as just traing days and at the end of the day there is a high score. Someday it will be you with the high score if you stick with it. It happens all the time...huh Wayde???? Take every chance you get even if it's only a half day. Every round down range is important to you reaching the next level.
See you soon.

Definitely looking forward to saturday. I'll be there bright and early 8:00am

Just remember there is 20 concrete benches under roof, if the match cant be shot as scheduled(because of rain) it will turn into a match from the benches. So come out and shoot

Like Tom said.
You will get better.
My best score was with my broken old Tasco.
But I was burning ammo all week with it.

I think I need a couple months to get back in shape.

Tom, Wayde,

With flood waters inching closer to the house and sump pump running balls out, I had to call it off to stay back with wife and baby and hold the fort down. I really felt bad as on my way to pick up DGUNN I had to turn around and give him the call to abort the mission. This sucks as we were looking forward to todays shoot and enjoy shooting in extreme conditions. I assure you we will be back another day. The lights are flickering as I speak. "Shits a goin to get deep around here today"!
Kurt

Just found out the construction company I work for is doing work in New Philadelphia from Next week til mid next year. Looks like I'll be out there a good portion. I may have to get a membership at TVP so I have something to do!

Rough day for shooting today with gusting winds. Rain doesn't effect things much but even with the conditions I think we all had a great day of shooting. We all got some good hits and thanks Tom for hosting a great coarse, as well as letting people pick your brain at the end of it all. I hope to be back soon.

Thanks,
Merritt

I showed up for my second shoot at TVP today I was bit worried about my lack of good rain gear. It was a thoroughly nasty day with near constant rain and 15-25 mph winds. Most of the guys decided to enjoy the training possibilities of shooting in the ugly conditions, but I'll admit that I'm a bit of a sissy and was glad that they decided to allow a couple of us to practice from the shelter. For me it was a great choice. I got to work on my trajectory table and to started learning a bit about the wind.

For those who haven't been there, TVP offers multiple shooting points that can be used simultaneously, so I got to practice while the match was progressing. There are 12 inch square steel plates spaced at 100 yard intervals from 200-1000 yards.

I also got the benefit of some of Tom's (the owner's) instruction time. He helped me get my new scope zeroed as well as help with collecting dope for targets 600 yards and beyond. It only took him 2 shots to determine the correct elevation correction from 600 to 1000 yards (with out a valid trajectory table ) and one more to hold a 10 moa wind correction and hit the target. Getting that info myself would have taken a lot of time and ammunition. This removed any doubt as to whether the rifle would do the job, however I think I need a lot of work on the mechanics of my hold and trigger pull (let alone reading wind) to routinely make similar shots. I also decided to get a muzzle brake today as the recoil made it very difficult for me to see my own bullet strikes.

I think I made some progress today. Between the new scope and starting to understand the trajectory of my ammunition, my ability to hit at longer range has begun to increase. By the end of the day I was pretty routinely hitting 600 yard shots in the wind.

Marcy

it was a cold and rainy day...it was a shame I forgot my bolt then I might have been in a pic.

IMG_5816.jpg

IMG_5810.jpg

IMG_5807.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it was a cold and rainy day...it was a shame I forgot my bolt then I might have been in a pic.
</div></div>

cry.gif
cry.gif
That would suck. I try to keep mine in a stock pack to reduce the chance of that happening.

Weather sucked but any day on the range beats a day a work listening to whiners! Had fun, just listening to the bantering was half the entertainment of laying in the mud.

do we sign up somewhere or just show up. I am looking forward to the March practice shoot.

Just show up and try to arrive by 8:30 am if it's your first time out or need to check zero. Please make sure bolt is out of your rifle or chamber flag is inserted.
Looking forward to seeing you soon!

I spent Friday and Saturday in the rain/mud with Sunday in the snow... what a weekend though, wouldn't trade it for a day of work anytime. It was a wonderful time shooting and the cameraderie of the shitty conditions on Saturday was half the fun. Yet again, I can't wait to come back to TVP for another visit, thanks to Tom for the hospitality.

I had a good time even though the weather was a bust. My waterproof pants...werent.. Needless to say I had to wring out my boxers when I got home.

I thought there was a practice day/open range on the 19th? I already cant make all the Intimidator matches and will be out of town this weekend. I cant wait to get out and shoot soon.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just show up. The practice on the 13th starts @ 9 am. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sch2046</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought there was a practice day/open range on the 19th? I already cant make all the Intimidator matches and will be out of town this weekend. I cant wait to get out and shoot soon.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just show up. The practice on the 13th starts @ 9 am. </div></div> </div></div>

The schedule for the 19th has not changed at this time,we <span style="text-decoration: underline">didn't</span> have anything schedule for the 12th and 13th

Question on "Head Hunter"
Can we shoot as a two man team?
Shooter, spotter?
We only get one shot.
(Who has the best chance?)
Spotter should only have to move to next target.
Shooter needs to reload, move, and spot for #2.
(Not in that order!)

I have two bad knees and a bad back, but love to plop down to the ground!

Thank-you for teaching me so much that I could help others.

This is not a team shoot so that elimates anyone having a "best" chance. That would not be earning the title in my book. So, no spotters and yes ONE shot and that's it.
That's why it's not complicated..one shot no exceptions.
When you can hit all 20 targets with one shot then you have earned the title "Head Hunter". Two 10 round mags. are all you need.
My advice is shoot one rifle and learn how to use it and know your dope really really well. Pay attention to your mistakes and your hits, they all mean something. After all your the one who pulled the trigger. It's up to to know what went wrong and went right.
This will be a fun and educational course of fire for everyone to enjoy.

Tom, I see you worked out a weekend (July 23-24) for all us SP shooters to show up out there. Me and Chris and probably Dale will be there for Saturday but we have a plate match on Sunday so we'll have to miss that day.

Not many of them have shot anywhere near those distances you have available and I think everyone is looking forward to it. We'll try to get out at least once before then to check settings and I do need dope on that mile target. That's the goal this year, gonna be a member of the Mile group with a SP.

Ya got their interest and do hope there is a good turnout.

By the way, your PM folder is full on here.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matthewusmc8791</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Tom, you mentioned the targets for the headhunter will be from 75 - 300yds... When will we know for sure what the exact ranges will be????

Regards, </div></div>

That was the night distances

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom, I see you worked out a weekend (July 23-24) for all us SP shooters to show up out there.

Topstrap </div></div>

confused.gif

The distances have not been set yet but they will be from 300 yards to 600 day and 100-300 at nite.

<span style="color: #990000"><<<<<<<<<<Schedule Change>>>>>>>>>></span>

March 12th Open Range Day - 13th Practice Intimidator

We know the target size.
Maybe judging yardage should come into play too.
Difference in range is only 300 yards.
How many hit T1 Station 1 (550) on the first shot?
How many miss T1&T2 ST3? (276/385)

Station one, short course.
Target 3.
How much gravel have we made out of that pile of rocks!

Who tells you the range of the deer that just popped up in front of you?

Just something to think about.

I kinda thought station 1 was kinda easy, was the one hidden up in the woods that gave me fits
smile.gif

To be honest though, that one on station one in the rocks is kinda challenging, I just got lucky.

You're sure making that Head Hunter match sound mighty interesting to us.

Topstrap

T2 station 2 short course.
Spotters have a hard time with that one!
(think that's the one)

To go from low and looking down, to way up hill.
Kinda messes with your head when you need to make such a drastic change.

(TS, PM coming)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5x61 Super</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....A GREAT RANGE DAY....a lot of new faces indeed...

All I can say is that we are pretty DAMNED PRIVILEGED to have a long range benchrest and tactical rifle range at our disposal...

..you guys have fun tomorrow.....good thing the wind is gonna calm down a little...it BLEW like a MOTHER today!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mhMeBm_RRuA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mhMeBm_RRuA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4WXnPk6Ftmo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4WXnPk6Ftmo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YFEiJwzrd9o"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YFEiJwzrd9o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-UZK_YyCBsc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-UZK_YyCBsc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NyW-SR9RckE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NyW-SR9RckE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

Nice shooting....Funny how all the snow was gone by the end of the day.

..yeah....I started at 8:00 am....wind chill was probably in the low 20's....by noontime it was pushing 50.

How did you guys do today?