• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thunder Valley Precision - Ohio 2011 Schedule

Re: Thunder Valley Precision - Ohio

Had to repost. I aint gonna have my post count 666. I aint gonna have it. Ha

Thanks - yeah, i'm pretty geeked about it. My wife...less so.
wink.gif

I had a great time helping for the nebwie shoots last year.
Work is busy, be there as soon as I can.
Many priceless moments last year!

Robert, pm when you might be up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OHtard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just started attending the matches/practice days at TVP. It is a great place to see what you, and your rifle are capable of doing. Hopefully one of these days it will be over 30 with low winds. </div></div>

It will be over 30 degrees.
Wind can be a constant.
When it changes is when you might have a problem.
Some best scores are from a bit of wind.
Look at the smokestacks, they tell a lot.

damn, can't make the AR only event, I will definitely be there for the AR/Bolt match though.

Sounds like I'm going to need a partner for the bolt/ar match. Let me know if any of you don't have a bolt gun partner. Looking for an AR guy.

Thanks,
Merritt

Okay its about time, who is coming to the AR shoot?

I'll be there shooting 223 iron sites

Hopefully the targets will be orange

Hugo,

There will be plenty of AR's available. I have an extra one if you need it or want to show up. I will make sure it is zeroed. I will have to see what I have for ammo.

Thanks Tom, I'm looking to come out for the 5th and 6th of March. I'm now just working out arrangements with the wife.....

Hugo

i will be there for the iron sight shoot, sounds like it could be fun going back to the basics.

I'm in. Decided against irons though. Going to bring down the groundhog gun. Hoping to get my ammo finished up today.

I'll be converting my shot out Kreiger 223 wssm to a 243 wssm when I get back to OH in May. Just wondering if 105 AMax's make enough splat to be seen or heard at the 1165 yard steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CamoWildcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be converting my shot out Kreiger 223 wssm to a 243 wssm when I get back to OH in May. Just wondering if 105 AMax's make enough splat to be seen or heard at the 1165 yard steel. </div></div>
You'll be fine.

Of the sixteen targets, yes that is the furthest. There is also a time bonus on stage one of 1640 yards.

Looking forward to this weekend guys. Jim C. and I spent the day on the range designing the two new courses and our "Sniper Match" that we will be holding on May 28th and 29th.
More info coming soon.

Tom, are you goin to have thentripods out there again. I would like to try them out. I have been thinking about picking up either a bog pod, or a prs.

I will have them available for you guys to use on the course.
I will have a few of the new BOGpods available in a week or so if you can wait. Your welcome to use mine till they show up. I have two so we can all share them through the day. Fast and easy to set up and very stable.

I was thinking it would be a better alternative than laying in the mud. Thanks Tom.

What size targets for the iron sight match? standard 12" ? ...tryin to figure out what size sight pin i want to use.

Are those benches pretty solid when set up?

I have the plans out in my shop to build them, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Benches are great for some of our older gents who don't want to roll around in the dirt and even for those who just prefer not to shoot prone. Or you can shoot off of a tripod while sitting on a stool. Benches would be great at every position or at least two that were portable to move around. Or even picnic tables would work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matthewusmc8791</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey TVP here are some images of a prototype - portable shooting table I made up. We certainly could make use of these rather then laying on the ground in the wet dirt or the snow...

MLS-001ShootingBench-2.jpg

</div></div>

Would like to get a closer look at your bench....When are you planning on coming down?

What is wrong with prone?
You need less stuff.
It's lighter.
Do you carry a bench with you while hunting?
Never layed in the dirt?
Maybe we can put some road-kill up wind.

Yes a portable bench is nice.
We use one for chucks.
Least stable part is the truck tires in back.
Profile is similar to concrete tops for our practice.
We designed and built this around ADA guidelines and what would actually work.

Mike, were you there when my Bro had the rig with him?
Stow and load is easy too.

600 max for the AR course?
What are you guys thinking for time bonus for this course?

I use my bench to shoot groundhogs in OH & PA and prairie dogs out west.
My bench is version 1.2 it now has steel plates where the pipe flanges are bolted. Version 1 is pictured. About $60 or $70 for materials at Home Depot.
Rodent has seen my bench, I can't remember if he shot off it or not. I'm currently in AZ. But I will be in central OH in late April (grandson leaves for the Corps on May 2) if anyone wants to try it out. The prior mentioned grandson shot a groundhog at 884 yards off the bench using the Savage 22-250 in the first bench photo. And I shot one at 821 yards with a 223 wssm.

TV has all those nice benches under cover , why not just have a match or two from there ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dwt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TV has all those nice benches under cover , why not just have a match or two from there ? </div></div>

They used to ........ it was called Benchrest
laugh.gif
I'm not sure how the benches would work on the Intimidator since there is so much movement transitioning from one target to another on a couple of the stations.

Looks like pretty good weather for today considering it's still February. Have fun, guys.

It does not have to be intimadating , just a steel LR match from the benches and I would bet you will get more shooters than you do now ??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dwt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It does not have to be intimadating , just a steel LR match from the benches and I would bet you will get more shooters than you do now ?? </div></div>

why? why are there so many pussies about using field shooting positions? if you dont like it that way shoot benchrest. it's not intimidating no matter how you shoot it....its just a one way range.
wink.gif

Try it after you turn 60 and let me know what you think ? It was just a suggestion for Tom to make a few more $$ a month than he does now !

I agree that a bench option at each position would be nice for the older fellas. I kind of like Toms picnic table idea. I'd like to get my dad up there, but he is getting arthritis in his hips and is just too stiff to get down on the ground. I showed him the range this week and he wants to go through the week so he can shoot from the benches. Tom showed us his tripod set up and that is a nice option. I'm not sure how it would work for those who shoot single shots or load single rounds. Seems you would have to unshoulder the weapon everytime to stick a round in. I'd love to be able to shoot some matches with my old man. We just got through building identical 6.5 Lapuas and I think he would like it. He says he wants to come and watch a match first.

Maybe spray the shooting positions a day or two before the matchs.

Not a pussy, I have nothing against lying down in mud, snow or weeds, dont mind bugs either. I can do the prone thing its just that I am miserable for the next three days, I would be much more likely to attend a match from the benches or from one of the sweet portables shown here.

I think the point is that Tom is working to try to accommodate all the shooters that want to come out and play. I'm looking forward to trying out one of those Bog Pods, should be pretty handy for coyote hunting.

I say welcome the shooters that need to use the benches.

Bench shooters will still need to follow the same time guidelines that us prone shooters follow. It will deffinatly add another element to the target transitions.

I will be 64 in a couple weeks and I can get in the prone position, but before I get to the 12th target, my neck is screaming. I shot the short course last spring with Rodent & two others on a Friday.
MScott, as for the intimidator course, my bench is short enough that I can pivot it on the rear leg (I do that all the time while groundhog hunting).

I like the idea of the option of the benches also. I've tried to shoot from the prone position with my setup and it just don't work. I know... some may say we shouldn't be shooting our guns in those types of matches since they aren't "tactical" but I sure don't feel I'm undergunned or not competitive at any distance in any match at I attend I think we all should also realize that we can't expect any rules to be changed just to accommodate a shooter that disrupts the normal flow of a match. We just enjoy the distances and the challenges it brings and only TVP and Rayners have the distances we like to shoot at.

It would probably bring in more shooters and slow things down some for the timed events but the possibility of having those shoots on off days would bring in more shooters and revenue. Lots of us old timers or shooters that can't flop down or run up and down hills to enjoy the challenges that the match can bring.

Topstrap

I have no problem at all with shooters setting up portable benches at TVP on the Intimidator and or the short course.
There are shooters here that are not as young or fit or just simply don't like shooting prone so we HAVE to respect that.
At this time I don't have the answer what to do to make everyone happy. At this point we can start with two benches and go from there. I will work on this ASAP. I'm sure we can come up with something. Or, we could incorporate BYOB...BRING YOUR OWN BENCH..that way it's to YOUR specs and someone...and we know they will..can't complain it's too tall/short or wobbly or whatever. So we will start with two supplied by us. If someone does not like them then we will switch over the BYOB only.
Any other ideas lets hear them now before we get started into the shooting season.

Thanks Tom for chiming in !!

Top,

You don't have to be "tacticool" to shoot here. We train shooters for hunting and just plain "shooting" You also don't have to have a tactical rifle..just something that goes BOOM and is somewhat accurate. We are a well rounded range for many reasons.
The simple answer is tripods and stools. I have tripods available that will work with handguns and rifles..very easy and accurate. No issues with uneven ground.
We will have benches ASAP and experiment.

Sounds great. I hope it didn't come across wrong, everyone realizes that your matches are geared for that type of shoot. I'm just happy you did allow us to shoot there. I don't think that we should impose or disrupt your regular matches by trying to have things changed to accommodate shooters that may take away from the style and feel of your regular matches.

If a shooter utilizing a bench/stick/tripod or whatever can fit in that's fine and I'm sure others will be happy to join in but sometimes you need to keep a match with certain rules/limits to keep the match experience with what they paid to come participate in. I think you'd have to eventually put limits so someone isn't taking 10 minutes to set up their bench and adjust their shooting rests just to keep things moving along in a timely fashion.

Always room for everyone, and it's also fun to see others weapons and ways of shooting and learn from them.

Topstrap