• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thunder Valley Precision - Ohio 2011 Schedule

Re: Thunder Valley Precision - Ohio 2011 Schedule

What kind of round count are we looking at for this Saturday?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kentucky Jelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of round count are we looking at for this Saturday? </div></div>

51 max if you have the time to engage the 1650 yd bonus target and take 3 shots at it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kentucky Jelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of round count are we looking at for this Saturday? </div></div>

51 max if you have the time to engage the 1650 yd bonus target and take 3 shots at it. </div></div>

51 max for the course but if you need to check your dope bring extra

I'm pretty pumped for the newbie shoot. I just gotta pack my gear and get some sleep tonight. Looking forward to meeting everyone tomorrow.

Hi: 73°
Patchy frost in the morning. Sunny. Highs around 70. Southeast winds around 5 mph.

Going to be a good day

Who's all planning on shooting the intimidator tomorrow?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sbfcolin2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who's all planning on shooting the intimidator tomorrow? </div></div>

I'll be watching the weather in the morning. I really want to shoot, but laying in the rain all day just doesn't seems like a fun day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sbfcolin2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who's all planning on shooting the intimidator tomorrow? </div></div>
I'm already there...
there ain't going to be any rain until the match is over
grin.gif

I'm with mscott. Weather pending with fingers crossed.

Shoot on Saturday was a great time! Weather was great mild winds at most, All roads were open. Had a great time!

I had a great time yesterday. I learned a bunch and should be better organized next time.

A big thanks to Nick for his patience.

Anyone that stayed home today hiding from the rain missed out. No rain, but a little bit of wind here and there. Good times, good times!!!

Had a good time today with a great bunch of guys.......despite the wind.

Congrats to mscott for driving a brand new 7 mag to a winning 105 today. Quite an accomplishment, all things considered. See y'all in 2 weeks.

I had a great time on Saturday. A humbling yet rewarding experience. I can't wait to do it again. Thanks for all the great help from the RO's and spotters.

I am sorry I missed the newbie shooot. I sure could have used the help.

Next time, schedule permitting......

I'll add my kudos to the guys at Thunder Valley for a really good Newbie Shoot on Saturday. I had a great time and was impressed with all the great people. Since no one else has described the new shooter's day in any detail, I'll try to describe the process.

The first step was to get a very precise zero at 100 yards. I guess it is possible to work with a different zero, but setting it a 100 yards seems to be a very good idea particularly if you have a zero stop elevation turret.

After getting the zeros down pat we proceeded to longer range targets from 100-1000 yards. The purpose is to build a “dope table” of bullet drop data every 100 yard out to 1000 yards. This was an iterative process using ballistic software and the data gathered by shooting the 12 inch square targets. I'm not sure how this went for everyone else, but I had a pretty good set of dope that I verified out to 600 yards on my own and then had some spotting help on the 1000 yard target. My table was gathered on a 30 degree day and was predicting about 2 minutes of excess drop at 1000 yards. It took about 1.5 hours for 15-20 people to complete the process.

We then went up to the first stage of the intimidator course. This stage is the longest of the course and is an “oh shit” moment the first time. The first shot is at 563 yard on the crest of ridge followed by 950,1165 and 938. I'll brag a little and say I touched the bottom corner of the 1165 (lets not discuss the two 900 targets). We were lucky at this stage to have light winds that were pretty much at 12 o'clock. This stage took what seemed like a long time, but everyone was learning the shooting routine, learning the spotting process and learning to understand the spotter's calls. It was time well spent, but you will need to understand that everyone needs to get the same opportunity to learn and it will take a bit of time. At this stage the course time limits were basically ignored.

The second stage is a bit shorter and went a bit faster since everyone understood the process. Time limits were still not enforced, but some people shot the course under the limit. It was interesting that at this stage a couple of people had scope issues and could no longer adjust their turrets. They continued shooting with surprising success based on “hold off” calls from the experienced spotters. I embarrassed my self at this stage by nearly not finding one of the targets. I don't know it the course was designed this way but the point of view from the prone shooting position obscured the land marks I used while standing to find the target.

At the third stage has two short targets and they started putting some time pressure on all the shooters. We were also informed that the fourth stage would be strictly timed with no help from the experienced spotters. I don't know if it was more cross wind than at previous stages or the time pressure, but the short targets were harder for some shooters than expected. The stage was shot quickly and I think most teams were under the 8 minute time limit.

The fourth stage went very quickly with most teams making their shots under the time limits. The wind had picked up by this time and was blowing at 10-15 mph when we shot. I made my one good wind call of the day on the first target estimating a 5 moa right adjustment and ringing my shot. Some of the teams had the spotting process under control while others were not as good. My shooting partner was a much better spotter than me and I wasn't as much help as I should have been. I think we both hit the first and last targets and I think he hit one of the middle “valley targets”.

Marcy

Looks like you guys are goin be seeing mike and i on the 15th for the intimidator. i will be running a bullet I've never used at a comp before so it could get interesting.

Merritt

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Attention Shooters</span></span>

This Saturday will <span style="color: #CC0000">NOT</span> be the Combo, We are working on taking the shooting building apart. Yes you all are invited since you asked if you could help. Bring cordless screw guns, hammers, pry bar and gloves.

Thanks for your help and see you Saturday.

Also May 14th is reserved for a sportsman's club so <span style="color: #CC0000">NO</span> Head Hunter
Come out and shoot the Intimidator on Sunday the 15th

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breeze67</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Attention Shooters</span></span>

This Saturday will <span style="color: #CC0000">NOT</span> be the Combo, We are working on taking the shooting building apart. Yes you all are invited since you asked if you could help. Bring cordless screw guns, hammers, pry bar and gloves.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Also May 14th is reserved for a sportsman's club so <span style="color: #CC0000">NO</span> Head Hunter</span>
Come out and shoot the Intimidator on Sunday the 15th </div></div>

What a bummer for the folks that took vacation time off, signed up for the shoots ( 4/21/11 Breeze gotcha ), made hotel bookings and so forth to make a 1600 mile round trip to shoot, Friday 200 – 1200 yard sighter’s, Saturday Head Hunter and Sundays Intimidator.

Not pissed but disgusted of the schedule change and having to explain this to the other 3 folks that were coming in the group.
Especially the two new ones all jacked about the trip after drooling over all the you tubes videos

Jeff

wayde, I'm gunna try to make it down on saturday to help, may have prior family commitments though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot.onehit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What a bummer for the folks that took vacation time off, signed up for the shoots ( 4/21/11 Breeze gotcha ), made hotel bookings and so forth to make a 1600 mile round trip to shoot, Friday 200 – 1200 yard sighter’s, Saturday Head Hunter and Sundays Intimidator.

Not pissed but disgusted of the schedule change and having to explain this to the other 3 folks that were coming in the group.
Especially the two new ones all jacked about the trip after drooling over all the you tubes videos

Jeff
</div></div>

I agree that it is a buzzkill man. I would say that these seem to be extenuating circumstances though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot.onehit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Jeff

</div></div>
Jeff
first sorry for the last minute changes but please don't shoot the messenger
second call Tom - 740-502-6530 and ask how long the sportsmans club will have the range and if/or you can join them and have the range to yourself after they leave, and I will even take you through the Head Hunter(after making my short 2 1/2 hour drive)
I'm sure something can be worked out.
Thanks

Breeze

No problems with the messenger

TVP without a doubt is a top notch facility, I came across a little wired, but I have to be the reaper of news to the crew here.

I know you folks have your hands full with the weather, rebuild and shuffling schedules. Crashing someone’s party isn’t a cool idea either when they have the day for themselves and or pushing things along so we can shoot after they leave. I just have to man up and face the facts chill a little and see if there are any “alternatives” before I pass on the info here at home.

Just recieved a PM, we are still headed to Thunder Valley Precision!

oneshot.onehit

Sorry, running behind, too much going on!

Glad to get to see everyone again at the Newbie Shoot, hopefully it was worth it for everyone who came. For new shooters, things were looking pretty good towards the end of the day. Thanks as always to Tom, even with everything he has going on, things were still looking good and ready to roll on the course.

Wish I could make it up this weekend to help, but I have to work the Oaks Detail on Friday & the Derby Detail on Sat, things are crazy this week in Louisville!

Hope to make it back up once the dust settles from Derby.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

Oneshot has been taken care of and is still coming down, if there is anything else you need let me know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breeze67</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Attention Shooters</span></span>

This Saturday we are working on taking the shooting building apart. <span style="color: #CC0000">Yes you all are invited</span>, bring cordless screw guns, hammers, pry bar and gloves.

</div></div>
We need a lot of help so even if you can only come out for a few hours its better than nothing. You don't want to be the guy that said if you need any help let me know then not help, Nobody wants to be that guy.
laugh.gif

Wayde, I have kid watching responsibilities this Sat while the wife works the church soup kitchen. O/W I'd be there.

I have been informed that since I'm going to be gone the 15th and 22nd to the intimidator and Rayners that there is no way I'm going to be gone three weekends in a row. And she booked this whole coming weekend to make sure of it. If there is anything left to do next sunday I can bring my tools if you let me know for after the comp.

Thanks,
Merritt

Re: Thunder Valley Precision - Ohio

I can probably be down mid-day for a few hours.

-Andy

Big Thanks to the ones who showed up

4udztj.jpg

e6q78h.jpg

2mobipt.jpg

t9ci92.jpg

Pretty amazing what 7 determined guys can do in 7 hours

A great big thanks to all those who showed up today and helped out.
We did a great deal of work in a short time and TVP greatly appreciates your valuable time.
Sitting on the porch tonite looking at "what" used to be there.
Man.. it looks naked..and very different.
In time we hope to rebuild to what we had before so in the mean time please be patient.
The shelter will be missed.

Do you want me to bring my tools for after the match next weekend? I've got a cordless drill, and basic hand tools.

Just let me know.

Thanks,
Merritt

Sorry I didn't make it, I had prior commitments, after this coming weekend i'll be able to come up and help with anything needed.

Who's shooting Sunday beside my part-time partner & me?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breeze67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who's shooting Sunday beside my part-time partner & me?
</div></div>

Myself, Mike and I'm bringing two spectators. Reguardless of weather we'll be there.

Thanks,
Merritt

Damn, That has got to suck. Your help obviously busted their butts. It will come together again. Stay strong. TVP Rules

i am planning on coming down, unless the weather gets EXTREMELY bad..but i dont think it will

-Andy

New to the hide just made first post today in Bolt action rifles section. My buddy and I came up to TVP last monday 5-9-11 for lessons with Tom. We had a great day of shooting and learned a lot of valuable info from Tom and Jim. We will definitely be returning some time to shoot again.The wind was was something we learned a lot about up there plus I owe that 1165 target a spankin. Tom and Jim were very knowledgeable , friendly and patient with us.This was the first time we ever shot at an actual range. I would recommend TVP anyone. Everything was all good at end of the day. We came back to Ky with a smile on our face. Thanks Tom

question, im thinking of going to the june 4th - AR/Bolt (full 6 position from now on) shoot... how much ammo do we need, and what id the farthest distance shot?

88 max and longest shot will be 1165yds

TVP is great! Anybody that is thinking of going to TVP, do it! You won't regret it. The training was first class and I learned alot. We had a great time. That 1165yd target was definitely laughing at us I think. Tom you da man! Thanks and I hope to see ya soon.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Another great time at Thunder Valley Precision </span>

Well worth the 1600 mile trip and it will happen again, with probably 6 to 8 shooters along on the next.

The four of us had a blast!

Thanks to Tom, Breeze and all the others that made it a great trip.

Jeff

Glad you all had a great time, it was nice meeting you all. See ya next time

TVP appreciates the kind words from the recent shooters who have attended our shoots and range days. TVP will always go above and beyond to satisfy our shooters needs and wants within our means.
We have attracted some very nice folks lately and showed them a good time on the range and they have learned a lot.
We are getting new shooters weekly and if the weather ever clears up we should see record turn outs.
Thanks to all the out of state guys for coming out. That's dedication to the max. To drive that far twice in two months says something. Hope to see you again soon.

TVP