• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Thunderbeast Suppressor Blew Up?

Please call me. If anyone has a DTA Covert or another .338LM with a short barrel and did not know that their 338P-1 or 338BA isn't appropriate for the barrel length, please give us a call and we'll do what we can to make it right.

I just want to say that I have spoke with Zak Smith and his offer to make things right exceeded anything I could have imagined
Truly a first class organization

It's the same type of welding. The 338BA has some design changes that make it a lot less susceptible to pressure problems that caused the 16" and 18" 338P-1 failures. We have never had a 338BA fail. Shoot yours with confidence. If you bought your 338BA intending to shoot it on an extreme short barrel, give us a call and we'll do what we can to make it right.

All 338P/338P-1 owners will be contacted very soon regarding a program to upgrade their cans to the 338BA "guts."

Zak, how about a conversion from direct thread on to muzzle brake mount?

Yeah this has happen before. Just make sure that you check with the guys at TB before you start drilling. They might even have this issue fixed by now.

The Thunderbeast is an awesome can. I really enjoyed shooting it on a TRG-42 in 7 WSSM. I'm sure their beta designs will account for short guns.

All suppressor models s have growing pains and no brand is exempt. I've shot both demo and production cans from over a dozen manufacturers and have seen tubes bulge and burst, end caps blow off, baffle strikes, and had cores launch.

338s and 50s are a whole different league when you're talking short-barrel pressures.

Could someone please post proof that any Surefire suppressor has launched a core or broken a weld. Not a story...proof . Top notch suppressor companies don't sell suppressors that break.

Yes...I am a Surefire fanboy. Now that that is established, in the suppressor world when a company sells suppressors that break or get stuck something is wrong. Calling that company top notch is wrong. You get what you pay for. Sounds to me like people's choices to save money only get them problems.

Yes...I am a Surefire fanboy. Now that that is established, in the suppressor world when a company sells suppressors that break or get stuck something is wrong. Calling that company top notch is wrong. You get what you pay for. Sounds to me like people's choices to save money only get them problems.
Why do people need to turn these conversations into personal petty bullshit? The facts in this instance speak for themselves, and trying to attack them based on brand name alone is completely fucking stupid. I know lots of guys with TBAC cans and they have been using them happily for years.

Thunderbeast clearly did not have the short barrels in mind when designing their suppressor. It probably wasn't even a thought in their mind at the time. Just like building a can for a full-auto wasn't on their mind. Testing should probably have been done to see where the failure point was... but it doesn't change the fact that we know now. TBAC has responded accordingly and so far they have taken care of anyone that has contacted them regarding the issue to that persons satisfaction. The cans failed publicly, and TBAC is handling it publicly... so what in the fuck is your problem? The information is here for anyone needing to make a purchasing decision, so why not leave it at that? Why must YOUR choice in BRAND be pushed? Surefire sure as hell isn't the end-all be-all suppressor company despite what you may think. They have some good products, which serve certain roles very well. Others, not so much.

I like the DTSS as a 338 can because it is over-built and can be used on ANY cartridge from 338LM on down on barrel lengths down to 16 inches. Clearly TBAC doesn't currently offer a can that can take that, but doesn't mean they won't in the future. They don't strike me as an idle company that's going to stand for this scuff on their otherwise good reputation. In the mean time, we'll sell DTSS cans to those wanting an all-use can for their DTA's.

The facts are there, and clouding the issue with fanboy bullshit is the last thing anyone needs. Suppose next year TBAC releases the best 338 can the world has ever seen? You gonna be happy you were in here shitting on them? Why not let the facts speak for themselves and leave it at that? It's been found that their 338 cans don't work on short barrels. They are taking care of those affected. I'm betting, and hoping that they redesign, and end up with a stronger and better product. If for no other reason than to stuff it in the face of short-sighted dipshits that can't recognize what's going on in situations like this.

This is quite an ignorant statement...I wrote the review on the Surefire 7.62RC on these forums btw...And I still believe that your premise is bullshit.

Thunderbeast is a good suppressor company and they're taking care of their customers - FOR FREE.

This was a pressure issue that could happen to anyone regardless of if your weld is broken or not.

Quite frankly, I don't like the Thunderbeast mounts/QD's at the moment but, I'm sure down the line I might buy one...This entire thread is a tribute to their customer service...Don't quite understand why you feel the need to shit in it.

My buddy has a 18" and I'm sure he's not aware of this because he's internet retarded, I'll send him to the website.

Gjob guys.

You do realize that the stuck suppressors were the fault of either the gunsmith or the gun owner. And the fact that TB has responded to the "blown up" suppressors. And have responded like a top notch company should.

Keep your fanboy bullshit to yourself, and start looking objectively at these threads.

I don't currently own a suppressor. I have however looked at several manufacturers and I'll be buying TB.

Could someone please post proof that any Surefire suppressor has launched a core or broken a weld. Not a story...proof . Top notch suppressor companies don't sell suppressors that break.

It has an envelope it is meant to be used within. That's all. Surefire does too.