• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing tightening rings

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    Hello all,

When tightening rings to picatinny rails, how tight should i go? I do not want to over tighten but I would also hate to under tighten, any advice is appreciated?

**EDIT**

Now that we are on the subject, I plan to tighten rings onto scope from 15 to 20 inch pounds, that's a good range to stay within correct?

Thank you

With a good quality set of rings the manufacturer should provide a torque spec for both the base torque and ring cap torque. Find out what they recommend and use it. Seekins rings are in the ballpark of 50 in-lb for the 2 base fasteners and 20 in-lb for the cap screws. These numbers could vary widely because different manufacturers have totally different fasteners on their rings. Some have only 1 base screw, others have 2 etc...

i generally tighten to 35 in lbs......but honestly anything from 20-30 should do just fine.

This is not on any precision rifle or competition rifle. It is on a budget hunting rifle. Anyhow, I'd still like to get an idea of how to properly mount. They are the Burris extreme tactical rings in 30mm. I have gone to their website already. As far as tightening the top cap, I didn't find anything.

Some of the really beefy ones you can really crank on but on almost all of my guns except for my big boomers I go 50 in/lb on the ring to base and 18 in/lb on the rings holding the scope in place. Never had an issue.