• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Timney 510 trigger adjustment

scudzuki

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2012
Philadelphia suburbs
I have a practically new Timney 510 in my equally new Remington 700.
The instructions that come with it suggest backing the screw on the front of the trigger assembly out to decrease trigger weight.

There are 2 screws in that location, and the instructions do not indicate which one to adjust.

Since one has a jam nut and the instructions do not mention the jam nut, I left that one alone and loosened the other, all the while convincing myself that the pull is lighter.

Today I got a Wheeler pull gage in the mail.

Setting aside how ultimately accurate the gage is, it does seem to repeat; different triggers measure different pulls, and 5 pulls of the same trigger yield the same results.

My AR-15 3 lb Timney trigger pulls 2.75 lbs and 2 different Geissele SSAs (rated at 4.5 lbs) measure 4.25.

The Timney 510 trigger measures almost 3 after backing the adjustment screw out a bunch when I got it.

So my questions are;
1. Am I adjusting the correct screw?
and
2. How far can I safely back the screw out?

Joe

My afternoon appointment cancelled so I had the opportunity to mess with the trigger, and discovered that it is in fact the screw with the locknut that regulates pull weight.

I called Timney and got the instructions for adjusting the sear engagement if I screwed it up by messing with it (accidentally) but the safety works and it does not slam fire so allegedly I'm in good shape.

Joe