• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Top scope brand that costs 4k+ keeps cracking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been made aware multiple times and have admitted fault and apologized for my ignorance.

My input was precisely as helpful as this one.
Ehh...not so much an indictment on you personally. More of a commentary on the group as a whole and the proclivity to propegate misinformation as absolute fact despite very little or no experience and/or knowledge on the subject at hand.

Yeah I’ve used these rings on every scope brand even up to 55inch pounds. Never had an issue. It’s weird for sure.
Every reference on ARC's site is as you said....a dab of oil on the threads and screw caps (per ARC) and then 55 in/lbs for both rail and rings. As far as I can tell, your M-brace incorporates the same basic ring design as the M-10 which I have on a 6.5 cm with a Mk 5 5-25 in them and I love them and never have had any issue. Building a new gun now and will put M-10's on it also...with an even more expensive scope ! :cool:

oops, I see that this was addressed many times already. While I love my m-10 and will continue to use them, any company can...even if rarely...put out a defective product so I sort of think that swapping that M-brace for another that the OP has and seeing if the problem goes away (or, he gets another cracked ocular! 😲).

And I also agree...if not willing to name the scope, this thread is kind of useless to the board.

Last edited:
OP,

Can you at least point out where the cracks occurred in the lens?
CF0C5413-A94B-46F9-905C-78F241745472.jpeg
0B0E5C26-F558-4AAA-A247-6E91EABC3578.jpeg

Every reference on ARC's site is as you said....a dab of oil on the threads and screw caps (per ARC) and then 55 in/lbs for both rail and rings. As far as I can tell, your M-brace incorporates the same basic ring design as the M-10 which I have on a 6.5 cm with a Mk 5 5-25 in them and I love them and never have had any issue. Building a new gun now and will put M-10's on it also...with an even more expensive scope ! :cool:

oops, I see that this was addressed many times already. While I love my m-10 and will continue to use them, any company can...even if rarely...put out a defective product so I sort of think that swapping that M-brace for another that the OP has and seeing if the problem goes away (or, he gets another cracked ocular! 😲).

And I also agree...if not willing to name the scope, this thread is kind of useless to the board.
What if it’s ZCO?!?

SH would erupt

My b. Not real familiar with this site
Well to familiarize you with this site.
This is a site of rules.
The rules are that you either post no brands, or name all the brands.
Since you named ARC you be default must name the scope.
Should you choose not to name the scope you are in noncompliance of the rules of this site and will be dealt with accordingly.
Name the scope to rectify this mess you created.

Reactions: HaydenLane
I understand the different tube part of the scope..... but if the rings had a slightly different height (either because of them or a bad rail) and with how solid of rings they are- could that be bending the tube and loading the scope enough that it would transfer to the ocular lens?

Reactions: Vortex1
Still no word on what manufacturer, huh? $4k+ puts it in TT and S&B. If it was TT, their manual clearly says do not tighten the rings over 15lbs regardless of what the ring/mount specs say.

OP names scope. Next 10,000 posts consist of:

Fan bois: Impossible! Tangent Compromise lenses are made of crystallized kyrptinite and can take a 50 cal to the ocular, and a 20mm chain gun round to the objective. You are a liar and your mom has sex with midgets.

Haters: Fucking Night Benders man... Don't hold zero for shit and meal team six tested them and had 4 snap off at the base of the windage knob. POS are only good for NRL 22 matches, and even then you have to watch the recoil.

OP names scope. Next 10,000 posts consist of:

Fan bois: Impossible! Tangent Compromise lenses are made of crystallized kyrptinite and can take a 50 cal to the ocular, and a 20mm chain gun round to the objective. You are a liar and your mom has sex with midgets.

Haters: Fucking Night Benders man... Don't hold zero for shit and meal team six tested them and had 4 snap off at the base of the windage knob. POS are only good for NRL 22 matches, and even then you have to watch the recoil.

Then I get to go to work....👀👀👀👀

It was either a CounterSniper, Quigley Ford, or…..

A Valdada.

Has to be one of those 3.

Post pics of the cracked ocular.
Sent it back for repair.
Sell it.
Buy a different scope.

If it happens again then it is something that you are doing.

Reactions: No_Call_Reengage
I’m with the other who question how clamping the body of a scope can cause any issues to the ocular. It would seem something else is going on. I guess it’s possible something in the tube is coming lose and hitting the lens. Possibly from a malformed ring but I would also suspect you’d see signs of damage on the tube if that were the case.

I think the suggestion of sending the mount with the scope to be tested at their facility if a good idea. Not sure if they could simulate your temp swings.

Quick question on that, if the temp swing is substantial how are you keeping your lenses from fogging with condensation?

After sitting for an hour in sub-freezing temps, the ocular lens fogged with the OPs breff.

He poured a little hot water on it to remove the ice.

^^^^^^^
I don't see the problem here...😂😂😂

I understand the different tube part of the scope..... but if the rings had a slightly different height (either because of them or a bad rail) and with how solid of rings they are- could that be bending the tube and loading the scope enough that it would transfer to the ocular lens?

Nope

Still no word on what manufacturer, huh? $4k+ puts it in TT and S&B. If it was TT, their manual clearly says do not tighten the rings over 15lbs regardless of what the ring/mount specs say.
Actually this is fair. I did notice that sticker on my TT as well and wondered whether or not ARC was still acceptable, though Vortex tested years ago that 55in-lb in ARC rings was fine for their scopes.

View attachment 7791315
A picture is worth 1,000,000 words spread across 100 comments.

No one can really help you without seeing the whole picture man. Posting a pic of your TT with a ZCO in a 45 offset isn’t going to tarnish these brands…and if it’s not actually a $4k optic but rather a $400 Strike Eagle, no one will give a shit.

Worse things have been said about every brand imaginable on this site. Your experiences aren’t going to effect sales numbers or reputation.

Post pics and give specs…otherwise this optic thread in the rifle section is just taking up bandwidth.
We can’t help unless we have the scope brand…

Damn. Feel like I’m back in Highschool. After the scope is fixed I’ll post the name along with photos etc. leave me alone while I think of new ways to cause grown men to throw bitchy fits.

Any of you geniuses want to point out how squishing on the main tube with a pair of rings puts any stress at all on the ocular lense?

I can. Forces travel through a structure way beyond the point of application. It is entirely possible for a compressive force applied in the middle of a scope tube to affect something else at either end.

I can't say for certainty that is what is happening here. I would need a very detailed 3D solid model of the scope and finite element analysis software to tell.

But I can tell you without a shadow of doubt that forces applied at some point in a structure do not limit their effects to the point of application. It's engineering mechanics 101

This thread has turned into an epic shitshow of retarded posts that contribute nothing. MY tiny bit of useful info: I spoke with Jeff Huber of ZCO when I bought mine, and he said DO NOT torque the rings to ARC's spec. He recommended the normal 18in pounds or risk causing damage. I trust the dude building the scopes.

This thread has turned into an epic shitshow of retarded posts that contribute nothing. MY tiny bit of useful info: I spoke with Jeff Huber of ZCO when I bought mine, and he said DO NOT torque the rings to ARC's spec. He recommended the normal 18in pounds or risk causing damage. I trust the dude building the scopes.
Let's turn this useless thread into an interesting one, I'd love to hear some educated opinions on this if true. Not calling you a liar by the way.

Haha

More reasons to buy leupold.

American made
Indestructible
Cost 1/3 of these ones that all you people have issues with

When’s the last time you heard a Leupold break a lens? It’s because they are made in the USA. Not jap junk
If you think we can’t smell a troll you’d be mistaken

Either way welcome to the hide. I hope your first hour here has been enjoyable so far…..

Let’s Go Leupold

Haha

More reasons to buy leupold.

American made
Indestructible
Cost 1/3 of these ones that all you people have issues with

When’s the last time you heard a Leupold break a lens? It’s because they are made in the USA. Not jap junk

@deersniper I'm pretty sure you know we have tools to know when people open duplicate accounts. I'm in a good mood today after getting more sleep last night then I have in weeks with a sick wife and newborn so do me a favor and delete it....otherwise....well you know

Damn, son. The trolls have been out in full effect this weekend.

Reactions: MCHOG
@deersniper I'm pretty sure you know we have tools to know when people open duplicate accounts. I'm in a good mood today after getting more sleep last night then I have in weeks with a sick wife and newborn so do me a favor and delete it....otherwise....well you know
Interesting

I off the bat figured it was the BDB_guns or whatever his name was that wanted everyone’s sniper kill logs last night

We can’t help unless we have the scope brand…
Dude…post a picture of the issue. The point of my post is that no one gives a shit about the brand.

You come to randos on the internet for help, don’t provide details or pictures, and expect an actual solution…

Don’t be that guy. Show us your broken Tangent Strike Compforce and let’s see what you’re doing wrong. Your fuck up could help another shooter from making the same mistake with their gear.

“Break it once, shame on them. Break it twice, shame on me.”

Reactions: greybeard0058
He has said the opposite to other customers.

Sorry to hear about your wife , but the babies sleep gets better, right in time for the next one to come lol
This is the next one...3rd actually and last.. the wife being in the hospital post partum with serious infection from botched epidural for 2 weeks on serious IV antibiotics, shaking, high fever and me being home by myself with a newborn and 2 teenagers isnt the easiest situations but all is good I got it. She got discharged late Friday and home with us now. Hoping it stays that way

Last edited:
I am dumber now, but was somewhat entertained.

@Bsutton2010 - If I were you I'd firmly request they replace the entire ocular housing & not just the broken lens. I could see an imperfection or embedded debris in the housing at the glass edge causing a repeat failure.

There is a big difference between 1 screw torqued 50-55 inch pounds in a rigid cap verses 6 smaller screws x 22 inch pounds. The torque doesn't matter, clamp force is what matters. I seriously doubt Jeff Huber recommended torquing ARC rings 18inch pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.