• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Trip to Glacier Natl Park

Trevor300wsm

Team Pantydropper
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 8, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Im trying to plan a trip up to Glacier Natl Park around the 3rd week of September. I was hoping to get some advice and tips from anyone who's been there. Will probably fly into Kalispell and rent a vehicle. Haven't decided where to stay yet. Needs to be reasonabley priced. Any tips or advice on the following would be a big help.

Anyone who feels Glacier is better than Yellowstone? I could always fly into Jackson Hole and go to yellowstone.

Good places you've stayed (hotels, lodges, B&B's)
    Good places to eat
    What areas of the park are better to see than others
    Certain things you dont want to miss seeing on the trip
    Other places to go/things to do other than the park in this area
    Nightlife attractions
    General comments about the area/trip

Thanks,

Re: Trip to Glacier Natl Park

I lived in Columbia Falls which is near Glacier. I have been to both. They are very different parks. The Sun Road is awesome, but if I could visit one of the two parks, it would be Yellowstone. Maybe that is because I lived right next to Glacier?
    Yellowstone is a lot more diverse. The drive from Livingston to West Yellowstone is the stretch of the Gallatin River where "A River Runs Through It", was filmed. It's absolutely awesome.

A little know trick is to fly to Spokane, WA. Rent your car there for about 20% of the cost in Kalispell. The airfare is also way cheaper. Sure you have to drive a couple of hours, but for me it is worth the savings when I head back to visit.

If you rent a car, get the windshield insurance add-on. You will notice a lot of chips and cracks on windshields there.

My wife worked at Heaven's Peak Restaurant in West Glacier. Not sure if it is still under the same ownership, but it was good a few years back.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with the trip.

When we were up there 3 years ago, we stayed at the Hampton Inn & Hilton Garden Inn in Kalispell and drove into the park...IIRC 40-45min drive each way.

There are some fantastic restaurants in the downtown Kalispell area, and Montana Coffee Traders is a good stop for a cup of joe and breakfast. Lots of food choices up the road in Whitefish too.

My parents are heading to Glacier right now.

They are pulling a 5th wheel and from Glacier they are heading north to Lethbridge Alberta, they were warned that they will be needing to go around the park because there are roads not fit for 5th wheels

The road they are referring to is the Going to the Sun Road. They don't allow 5th-wheels on it. Once you drive it, you will understand why.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snajpr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The road they are referring to is the Going to the Sun Road. They don't allow 5th-wheels on it. Once you drive it, you will understand why. </div></div>

That's the road.

Will they be able to take a pickup down it at least?

Yes, they can take a pick-up down the Going to the Sun road, but not trailers. I grew up very near there, it's a gorgeous drive!

Is that the road with no gaurd rails along it ..about 1 1/2 lanes wide with 2 way traffic and very loose gravel all over the place?

Well, dad and mom are in Glacier, only got stranded in Billings due to a blown tire on the camper, then this morning a second blown tire 1/2 hour from their campground.

Today they put all new tires on the camper, and discovered he left with bad ball joints in thr truck and his front tires were shot too.

Bad and expensive 36 hours for them.

They sent pictures from their campground, what some beautiful country.

Funny you should mention Glacier. I just got back from there about a week ago. It was on my wife's bucket list, so we went. Hiked every day including the day that it rained. Beautiful country and got to have dinner with a buddy who lives nearby and works for the Border Patrol. I tease him that all he has to do now is check moose for green cards.

We flew into Kalispell and rented a car. Hindsight says we should have gotten a direct flight and flown into Missoula and drove up. Either way, we decided to drive Route 2 around the bottom of the park and continue up the east side. Nice drive with little traffic. Something to think about; stop in at the A&W in Columbia Falls for a root beer float. Still served in the frosted glass mugs with free refills. Just a little hint, but well worthwhile.

We stayed at Many Glaciers Hotel located 12 miles west of Babb, Mt. No through traffic, but a few bear jams during the week. As stated earlier, we hiked different trails every day and loved it.

We did drive into Canada to Waterton Lakes. Hiked Bertha Falls trail from the POW hotel (Prince of Wales) and had lunch in their dining room even if we smelled pretty bad afterwards. Gorgeous view looking south down the lake. Well worth it.

The lodging was a little pricey, but I did mention that it was on my wife's bucket list. If it keeps her happy.....

We left to drive back to the airport at 7:00 am on our last day. The road through the park coming in from St. Mary's was virtually empty. Nice views driving up to Logan Pass on Going to the Sun Road and heading west. Going down the hill westbound was interesting. They are still working on rebuilding sections of road. It is very narrow and they expect to be complete by September 17. We are glad that we went the other route when we first got there. It still took us 3 hours to get back from the east side to the west side.

I want to go again sometime. Lots of trails that we did not get to hike in the main section of the park. We did stop in the lodges at East Glacier, St. Marys, Lake McDonald, and stopped in Apgar. By far, I think Many Glaciers hotel is the best, even if built in 1915. The evening ranger talks are well worthwhile.

I will get to Yellowstone at some point, but feel that Glacier is a hikers paradise.

One last thing; you will overdose on huckleberry ice cream. My wife did.

Just go and enjoy yourself.
    Mark

Beautiful park, the Going to the Sun Road is the main aspect. Takes you over the continental divide, visitors center at Logan's Pass with lots of mountain goats walking around within 30 ft of parking lot. Down the other side to Many Glaciers Lodge for lunch. Beautiful enormous wood frame structure sitting on the lake. The road is full of switchbacks and vehicle length is restricted to 23 ft I believe. Lots of waterfalls along the road. We saw a black bear running across the road. We camped in the park. We fished in the river on west boundary and rafted the river on the south. Went on a horseback ride along river and through forest.
    Yellowstone and surrounding area is a whole different trip. Been there 6 times and always find new things.

We are heading out for Glacier in a couple weeks. We are going to fly into Spokane, WA and rent a SUV and make the drive back to Kalispell. We booked a room at the Holiday Inn express. We may stay a couple of different places while we are there if we see a place that looks nice.

Hoping that the weather will be good while we are there. It's been a long summer of 100+ degree temps here so the cooler weather will be a welcome change.

I appreciate all the tips and advice.

I stayed at the Red Lion in Kalispell and it was nice with good service. I spent a summer working there and fell in love with the area. Would love to eventually retire there.

I live in kalispell at Jewel Basin,if you pm me i can hook you up with some nice cabins own a private ranch for less than a hotel.It's all in the mountains,not far from glaciers west entrance, about 25 min away up hwy 206.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MULLETHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in kalispell at Jewel Basin,if you pm me i can hook you up with some nice cabins own a private ranch for less than a hotel.It's all in the mountains,not far from glaciers west entrance, about 25 min away up hwy 206.</div></div>

Huge thanks to MulletHead! Very much appreciated. The cabins look perfect.

Going to the Sun Road is a great motorcycle ride!! Rode it the 25th of July.

Skip Yellowstone. Do Glacier. Kick around a bit in the Flathead NF if you have the time. Buy Polebridge if it's still for sale and you have the money.