• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tripod failure...Learning moment

jackinfl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2008
Fort lauderdale, Fl
I took a Large Caliber rifle class this past week. Lots of fine sand being blown by the .50 muzzle breaks. On day 2 my PVA tripod got very difficult to collapse, especially one of the legs. In hindsight this was an important CLUE I missed. Next morning we have a MOCK crisis scenario where rapid tripod deployment was called for. 2 legs extended no problem, 3rd leg HARD to extend, so hard I pulled too much and the leg section came out. Get done with the scenario, reassemble the shims and leg back into leg.
I emailed Josh at PVA. He replied almost immediately and recommended I clean the tripod.

RRS has Youtube series on tripod maintenance and cleaning. Follow their instructions and thinks are functioning fine now.

Lessons learned: Tripods need maintenance too, don't put it away wet, wipe the legs down before stowing if fine sand is being blown about.

I tried to do a budget friendly tripod set up using the PVA and the anvil 30 head. I accomplished that. Hopefully with proper maintenance I won't regret trying to save a few bucks...

Thank you RRS for the informative videos.

Reactions: Terry Cross